Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Mick - there is always someone in the wings waiting to take your record. Give the M75 record a blast!

John Bateman - you are running very well - Bushy Park is my home Parkrun. I visited London as my son was living there for a while and someone on Runners' World told me about Parkrun so that was my first parkrun.

Torque Steer - love your age-grade story - very hard to know who is in what age grade - think I've mentioned before that at NZ Masters' races we had to have an age patch on our back shoulder so people could see from behind if you were in their grade.

Alehouse - agree we might get smug about our age placing but indeed there are a lot of people in front of us. You are doing some great running with your M76 neighbour.

I mentioned that I might run the Auckland Marathon - well I late entered Friday night with the intention of walk/running with my son and that's what we did.

First half is very hilly and includes the harbour bridge. It was very hot and I have sun burnt shoulders. We walked/ran 5.59.42 - not easy.

My son gave me one of his ear buds in the second half of the marathon to listen to his music. First time for me - I really enjoyed it - took the pain away from my hip and was able to enjoy the event.

Best part was I was still 1st W70 and there were 5 of us in it! Got a $250 Asics voucher so a bit of a burglar but I guess there aren't too many 70 year old woman that can or would want to complete a marathon.

We went into Red Sunday night so that means there won't be any gatherings of over 100 people for some time so think we won't have parkrun for a while.
  • Good to hear from you NZC! Well done on the marathon and a great prize! Sorry to hear about your lockdown situation; everything seems to be opening up here. I will still be rather cautious though.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    That's the one, make sure he only visits in January.

NZC,
    Well done on the mara, I guess it must be lonely out there.
    The two records for 75-79 are a bit soft. One is 40 mins but it is on a difficult trail with lots of twists and turns and a steep hill with rocks and roots. I know some older runners that will not run it. Covid has them closed right now but the cold would put most people off anyway. I'll be out there in the Spring assuming Alehouse's friend doesn't show up.

WP,
    Wordle was a tough one today but still hanging with a 100%

I ran on the treadmill today but only for a couple of k as I did not feel great so called it quits, not sure why.

Mick
  • Mick, I suspect that the MB guy is coming up to 73. Different age group for a good while!

Very cold today by UK standards: 2 degrees but with the wind chill down to -3. Recovery run of just under half an hour during which I didn't really get warm despite the layers. 

Off for my Tuesday hour's stretching! At least it is inside! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    2 more days off after Saturday's parkrun; must get a grip -  just showered and dressed now after a 6pm start and 4 miles on urban roads.  Speaking of "getting a grip" -
    managed to do so, despite pavements starting to feel slippy.   :o

Dave
  • Mick: You are doing better than me a complete fail this morning sadly.

6 miles yesterday and nothing today bad night so very tired.But hoping to go longer this week as run 6 milers 3 times wanting consistancy :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    NZC - great performance, great result and a pretty good prize too!

Dave, not so sure about running on those slippy pavements, but well done.

Mick, excellent  - but you need to watch out for those damn shorties (we get everywhere).

Ale, that sounds like a serious stretching regime. 
  • NZC
    well done on your marathon appearance and success :)
    It still seems strange you talking about it being too warm and Mick telling us it's -30C!!
    'Fraid that running stories are about all I have left now as opposed to actual running ...

Mick
    have a word with Border Control and make sure he doesn't get in.
    Canada looks a bit too far for parkrun tourism but John has got the bit between his teeth :)
    I think it's time you got some heated booties for the dog as well

Dave
    that's the trouble with evening running when the temperature drops!
    Do you normally run evenings or just mix it up?

alehouse
    that's a lot of stretching!!

WP
    the step up to 6 milers may just have taken the edge off recovery?

John
    you did very well in your Bushy Park outing.
    sounds far too many for a 5K run.  I have faced 10K and over road races with less starters and found it difficult to get going. 
     In fact in one 10K, when tucked in behind a well known supermodel (and super runner), I found it impossible to overtake :)

LFOTM races were good for meeting up with folk from afar - I think Mick still holds that record for furthest distance travelled
    I am still in touch with Ceal - she is about to move house down to Plymouth to be near some of her family there.

I had a cry off through illness from a Hasher yesterday so had to go and act as a replacement and lay a trail and then run it in the evening - where I experienced some of Dave's backslip as the temperatures plummeted.

Felt a bit knackered this morning so abridged my run yet again - both legs and knee had enough!!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I like to run in the daytime, TS, as a rule, but yesterday was a day of prevarication. Was the fact that both my offspring convened at my place after their working days, to change and run to the track for a session, then run back here, before heading to their (more outlying) homes, that shamed me into getting out !!   

Backed it up with 4.7 very sedate miles in lovely sunshine (and no slippy surfaces) with my buddy (the one who has me in 2nd place for the club V60 HM record , curse him)  :)

Commendable work yesterday, TS !  

Splendid 6 the other day, WP - hope you're back on track today 💪

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    Too many 6s for me.

TS,
    We are still getting out there, even if it is slower and not as often as we would like.

A barmy -26c this morning so I have decided on a rest day. Have a snooker game this afternoon with a neighbour so that will be my exercise for the day.
    Plan to run with the boys tomorrow assuming the weather forecast is right at -8c.

Mick
  • Mick
    I gave Wordle a go today= you had to hit it right from the start :)
    got there in five as there were so few combinations of the remaining letters
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    How is the competitive spirit. Post your chart after 11 games and see how we compare. Our bodies maybe crap but the brain still works.
    Mick
  • Wordle 222 6/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
    🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
    🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Good work boys;-)

6 miles yesterday and just getting ready to go out and attempt a long run which me luck!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick/WP
    Doddle this morning  :)

I think back in the ol' days of travelling to and from London the Evening Standard used to have a similar puzzle in the paper except one had to do it by hand.  Whiled the time away on the train home

Wish I could say the same about the running as well but 2.5 miles done - sore knees :/
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    If you talk to Ceal, say hello from me.
    Yes easy this morning, done in 4.

-17c windchill and its snowing so canceled with the boys and ran 5.1k on the treadmill bopping to the usual.

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    no wordling here yet (I keep forgetting), but another 4 miles trundle, this time with marathon mentee. That's 3 consecutive days . . . .

Dave
  • Dave
    that's more like it :)

Mick

getting warmer for you!

will do

run done - a weary 2.5 miles
    Wordle done in 4 :)

• Day 4, Birch?

Wordle done in 4 here, also. I have succeeded 17 out of 18 times; the 18th was an American word, favor. 

Between 45 and 50 minutes this morning: Garmin battery died so don't know exactly! Will have to re-measure the last couple of kms! But not today. 

PS BREAKING NEWS: Govt strikes exclusive deal with Wordle to release Sue Gray report one word at a time until 2028.
  • alehouse
    good day out

LOL at the Wordle Sue Gray release.

aaahh you have answered a query that was bobbing around in my head - are they proper UK spellings or USA ones :)?
    Need to watch out for that and "favor" would have tripped me up - I just couldn't/wouldn't type that word!!

WP
    some Welsh events for you
    https://www.frontrunnerevents.co.uk/
    courtesy of RealBuzz

• blowing a real gale here this morning

pleased it was a rest day - although I was rated "magnificent" on Wordle at getting it in 2 :)

jammy or what?
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hello Not been here in a while. Glad to see some familiar faces 

Last year was my first proper years running since 2012. 299 miles not as much as I used  to but more than I did in the in-between years

Good to see you addicted to wordle 😊

Wordle 224 5/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 

5km today. Restarting again as no running in November and December apart from a mile work was hectic more so than usual 

But 5km today with walk breaks 
  • Afternoon,

Pammie : Great to see you and to see running going so well for you,

TS: Yes they taken over a lot of our races and upped the price not a great fan.But I am down for the Great Welsh Half in April! it goes back to 2020.

Mr P not been well so could not leave him yesterday so lots of TBP done.Today I was able to get out but storm Malik was in action and legs aching from TBP so kept it short 2.5 miles with half a mile walked to and from running spot.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Good to see you, Pammie! Consistent consistency please!

And well wordled! And particularly well wordled, TS: it was the last chance saloon for me today!

Just a gentle run here...never got going due to the breeze!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    The US spellings are supposed to be how they were spelt in the 18th century. It was the posh Brits who decided to change them.
    Well done on worldle but it has to be luck, Yorkshire men do not even speak English.

Hello to Pammie, I think we actually met once.

It has been unusually cold here so lots of indoors. Today's exercise consisted of a trip to the dump and shovelling and blowing showing in -20c. After that running on the treadmill had little appeal.

Mick
  • Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Hi Pammie

good to hear from you again

2012 last proper running - is that right?!  Seems a long time ago...

I can imagine you were shifting a lot of stock recently!!

Wordle is increasing in popularity as running declines :)

alehouse
    nearly time to go airborne yesterday!!

Mick
    what do they use in Canada then - USA or UK?
    we are getting battered a bit by high winds but it was lovely out this morning - still, blue skies, bright sun - and knackered legs as I struggled round 3.2 miles.
    Put it down to spending all day sitting at my desk doing tax returns :/

Initially thought I was in trouble on Wordle  today with  only one letter right out of the first two lines but my cunning tactics left little room for the letters to go after that so got it in three  :)

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    UK is taught in schools but you get use to seeing both.
    I too thought I was in trouble but got it in 5.

-21c, but a least bright and sunny so 5k on the treadmill planned for later. It should warm up enough for me to get out with the dog, with me in heated mitts of course. Whatever happened to global warming.

Mick
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Mick we did meet. In Hyde Park 

2¾miles  today first in a long time managed a mile non stop albeit slow. And did it again after a short walk break 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hello, Pammie - don't think you were here when I joined !  

good to see everyone active, with admirable cross training by Mick & WP 

10 miles for me this morning, to round off a 24 mile week - out and back on dirt trail, on an initially cold morn (3c), but soon warmed up in the glorious sunshine.  First double digit run this year. All ok up to 8.5, then legs suddenly decided they didn't want to play, so remainder was attritional.
    I'll put it down to a long time on feet at Northern XC Champs yesterday - J managed to finish 6th counter for his club as they secured bronze position. You'll know the 4 placers, alehouse

Dave
  • Pammie, very good to hear from you. I remember meeting you at one of the Serpies. I'm pleased to see you're running again. You mileage last year sounds very similar to mine but at least we're getting out there still.