Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Blimey, Ray - that sounds very unpleasant - I hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later  . . .    

just 3.5 easy pace this morning . . . .     

Dave 
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Sounds nasty, Ray, - as well as being totally out of the blue. Have you managed to get a doctor's appointment? Apparently one has to wait weeks for appointments at my local surgery, though there is a triage arrangement for emergencies, and a "minor injuries" unit at the local (very small) hospital.
    Birch, I am aiming to work up to an hour (was 58 minutes this morning - very early in the day while it was still fairly cool and plenty of long shadows cast by trees and buildings); then I shall consider anything over an hour to be a "long run" and probably do it as a run-walk (4 mins run, 1 min walk) and also do some shorter runs with some slightly faster bits thrown in. Very happy with parkruns (a brilliant invention, IMHO) but would like the option of doing a 10k race some time, nothing spectacular, just finish.
    NZC, that was a long run, - I keep thinking everyone's running in the heat, but I suppose it's quite chilly in NZ at present.
  • cor - I pop off for a few days absence and Ray gets what sounds like a very nasty infection indeed!
    Could it have been an insect bit e of some sort Ray?  There are loads of the b*ggers around at the moment looking for an easy meal.
    We had a Hash last Tuesday in the beautiful Washburn Valley which turned out to be a trial by insects there were so many on the wing. Couldn't feel the bites at the time but woke up with loads all over me!!

Dave
    I think rest is a good option in these conditions - and re-hydration as well of course :p - with the proper fluids 
    That sounded a tough fartlek session you did - hills and distance!

Columba
    I mustn't forget - I have arranged to meet up with Ceal on the LFOTM in July - usual place in the park.  Ray is coming along too, and running, but I suspect Ceal and I are in the spectator class only.  Can you make it particularly as you have just professed your love of 5K parkruns  :)
    You are building up your distance very nicely and good timing too - I was out at 0630 this morning and it was delightful

NZC
    ha - we can feel quite smug about our weather just now!  Hardcore run there just to casually drop into!

Mick
    are you heat waving as well over there?

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Columba - good plan; and yes, parkrun is a super concept - can be whatever the participant wishes it to be  . . .  

TS - good to see you back - yes, rest is definitely a good idea sometimes - "rest is a session" someone once told me .  I'll be doing so today, after yesterday's effort . . .

Owston Ferry 10K - I didn't enjoy anything about it , although was a good family day out with my daughter and son   
    Suffice to say it was hot (but I'm not using this as an excuse for my performance).  Ran as hard as I could, but this was proof, as I've alluded to before, that after nearly 33 years of competitive running, my legs, to use the vernacular, have "gone" .

To give context 

2015  (age 60)  half mara  1:29  (6:50 pace)  marathon 3:18 (7:35 pace)
    2016  10K  45:02  (7:15 pace)   
    2018 (today)  10K  50:47  (8:10 pace)  - a massive drop off 

there's plenty in Noakes and elsewhere re "the ageing runner who has been running a long time", and I fit a lot of the criteria .  

So, the bare facts - 50:47, placed 81/254  &  3rd V60 from 8 .   

My son bagged the win (and £100 in vouchers), daughter 4th woman.   I think the heat played its part in their case, though, (and the fact they had each run a hard 3.5 mile leg of local Road Relays 5 days prior) , as they each were slower than their capabilities . . .   

Dave
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave,that is a big drop off in quite a short period of time,must be very frustrating for you after those times you were running not that long ago.Congrats to your son for the win and daughter for a good placing.

TS,have entered the LFOTM all I have to do is get back running.

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Welcome to your mid 60s. That drop off is hard to combat but you are still doing better than most. I have found that as I have progressed through my 60s it has got harder to cope with the heat.

TS,
    Yes it is hot, we are experiencing record high temperatures, try 36c with a humidex of 46c !!!!!!
    I ran a 5k race on Sunday at 8:30am and it was already 28c, needless to say the race was slow.

I decided to set off at a conservative pace knowing that the last k would be brutal whatever I did. I was surprised to find that I maintained a steady pace throughout, a spread of only 8s per lap.
    My HR profile showed a kick up in the last k as I began to overheat, reaching a max of 96% WHR.

08:10 AM Sunday, July 01, 2018
    Canada Race 5k, very hot and humid, took it easy but struggled on last k
    Run Duration = 28:17,  Run Length = 5.0 Kms or 3.1 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 05:36 per Km, 09:02 per Mile, Age grade =  63.1 %
    Average Run WHR = 83.8 %,  Max Run WHR = 95.6 %
    Average Run Cadence = 84.2, Average stride length = 1.06 m
    Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR   Cadence  Slength(m)
     01     05:31     1.0        0.6      05:31      08:53     69.6%     77.0%       87.0        1.04
     02     05:36     1.0        0.6      05:36      09:01     80.7%     84.4%       85.0        1.05
     03     05:34     1.0        0.6      05:34      08:58     85.9%     88.9%       84.0        1.07
     04     05:39     1.0        0.6      05:39      09:06     88.9%     94.1%       83.0        1.07
     05     05:38     1.0        0.6      05:38      09:04     93.3%     96.3%       82.0        1.08
     06     00:06     0.0        0.0      02:19      03:44     92.6%     95.6%       86.0        2.51

Although it was slow it was slow for everyone so I still managed a first place in the 70-79 AG. There were 8 in my AG so I did need a bit of an effort to win.
    I was a bit disappointed in my cadence drop off as I am very aware that I tend to do this.

Mick
  • MIck
    well done on your first placing :)
    Looks like you were really overcooking in the heat & humidity on the last K so it was just as well that you started off steadily.

Dave
    I could point to a similar drop off in my performances but that would only discourage you ;)!
    However temperature can have a big effect upon performance and it does seem to be more difficult as one gets older to perform well in heat. I used to revel in it years ago but not now.
    The good news is that you were still in the first third of the field and that the family as a whole had a very good day out racing
    I think your 2016 time was an outlier - you wouldn't have lost that much in a year unless the training/conditioning had tailed off quite a bit

Ray 
    how is the toe and foot - responding to treatment?

well I did something foolish yesterday. It was my turn to lay the trail for Tuesday night and I had planned to do it on Monday but work demands got in the way so it wasn't until Tuesday lunchtime that I ventured out doing 5.5 miles in very hot conditions and then returned at 7pm to do it all again - very slowly!!

Tried to do a Likely Lads and not see any of the game until I got home but ended up watching it in the pub whilst I rehydrated..................

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Mick - congrats on your AG win !  

TS - thanks for your comments - I value these insights from you, and Mick - as you say, you've been there . . .     you certainly earned the rehydration after a hot double  . . .  

Ray - hope the capsules/cream are alleviating the discomfort in your foot  

hot here now, but pleasant at 8:30am when I headed off for a six miler, after a 2 day post-race rest 

Dave
  • Dave
    I think you deserved another day off! Nice recovery run in the sun - least I hope it was at recovery pace?

I too had a rest day yesterday - if you can call it rest wrestling with legal drafts written by solicitors who don't know what they are doing...............

Much warmer this morning - no cooling breeze at all as I did 3.2 miles in 29:52. Struggled on the usual big hill :/
    Interesting article on the BBC website about data released by Sky/Froome on his refueling for the Giro recently and how they managed his weight/power ratio. fascinating minute detail - marginal gains indeed and his carb intake on some days was phenomenal to balance output
     https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44694122

His RHR is 32 and the data shows a maxHR of 159 on the big hill climbs - but they don't show his actual maxHR so one can't really gauge how maxed out he was
  • I was asked last night why I still ran if the thyroid levels made it so difficult to perform and I didn't really have a convincing answer!
    Out early this morning in dappled sunlight with cool fresh air slipping off my skin like silk even when trudging along at 9:30 pace gave me a more convincing response - just 12 hours too late - which is about my reaction time for convincing put downs!!

Lovely early morning to run in - pity it was my usual plod pace of 3.2 miles in 29:20 but I felt quite reconciled to my fate....................

........................until I saw my very much younger and very attractive near neighbour when I had to quicken up quite considerably until out of sight ;)
    In fact the last 0.2 miles was run at 7m/m pace - it was however slightly downhill !!

Must get the pork pies ordered for tomorrow' match, the beer is already in the fridge:p :
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - very interesting article re Froome - thanks for that.   and yes . .    we keep on going, don't we - despite the decline !  so  - -   

7:30am start today, but still pretty warm for 13 with my daughter.  The wheel has turned full circle - my dad used to badger me to "get your hair cut" - now I get the same from my girl !  although its more along the lines of  "don't you think you need a haircut, dad" ?   B    

right - footy time !!   (just finishing first beer as I type - but, sadly, no pork pies )  :) 

Dave
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    TS-the beer and pork pies would have tasted good with us winning.We can't go all the way can we?

Dave-nice substantial run with your daughter.Not much hair on my head these days to get told about.

Will try to get a GP appointment tomorrow as my foot is not much better.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    sorry your foot is still troubling you, Ray  - hope you get the appointment, and the appropriate diagnosis/treatment . . . 

I'm away from tomorrow, back late Friday, so no running until next weekend

Dave
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave,enjoy your break.

Went to the doctors this morning and I have got to have a blood test and x-ray.
    He said it may be a stress fracture,raptured tendon,or gout.Will hopefully get the results by the end of the week.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, Ray. None of those sound like much fun. However, I suppose they are all treatable.
    TS - it would be lovely to meet up with you and Ceal again, and with Ray if there. My daughter-in-law is expecting my first grandson towards the end of July, so it is just possible I shall be in London at the right time for the LFOTM.
    Mick - congratulations on first in age group. At parkruns I am frequently 1st in age group, but only because no other women in my age group were taking part. On the other hand, there are usually several men aged 70+ .
    On Saturday I did the Hereford parkrun. I do not recommend it. Two laps of a racecourse (the sort horses run on), so dead flat, twice round a large oval so really nothing to make it interesting, uneven ground underfoot (I suppose the horses do that) and entirely open to whatever the weather conditions are, which on Saturday even at 9.00 a.m. was very warm indeed, cloudless sky, sun beaming down. Had a bottle of water with me, which I had intended to leave at the finish line but at the last minute decided to carry it with me, which was just as well because without a few swimgs of water and a chuck-a-bit-down-the-back-of-my-neck I'm sure I wouldn't have finished at all.
  • Dave 
    enjoy your downtime
    Nice to hear you can still grow the stuff :)

Ray
    that diagnosis just about covers all eventualities - it's a football pools combination!!

Columba
    it would be good to see you then and to welcome a first grandson for you
    I suspect that Hereford impression was clouded by the weather although running over grass which appears to be flat but which has been churned up by big feet is not good. I had a couple of fields like like recently and the ground had set like concrete making it very uneven indeed

Last weekend was very hot indeed and with increased humidity. On Sunday I very rapidly decided upon survival and ran even slower than usual and was still dripping after a mile or so.

I am in London on Wednesday but I have conveniently booked a return train for 1600 which will get me back in time for kick off. Now, shall I have to eat the same pork pies so as to influence the result again??????
  • now here is something to contemplate doing when you have a spare hour or two

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/10/fell-runners-116-mile-feat-adds-to-summer-of-sporting-triumphs

It would be quite easy - apart from the midges :) !!

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... Don't think I'll be attempting that, TS.
    Elder Daughter is currently half-way through the Race to the Stones, a 100k run which takes place along The Ridgeway, over two days. I think some people do it in a single burst.
  • Columba
    that is a long way for your daughter particularly in these conditions - it's a marathon plus on each day and it's pretty lumpy as well. I have run some bits of it in N Wiltshire in the past when staying around there and it was hard work even over short stretches

I think the football results have killed everyone off - it's the hope that kills you!!

We were at a friend's garden party last night which went on until nearly midnight - it was still warm and balmy.
    Ran back this morning to pick up the car and it was hot work all the way probably not aided by the "refreshments" taken the night before!!
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    She did it, TS! In fact, her second 50k was faster than her first. 15 hours 24 minutes altogether. By the end her feet were covered in massive blisters (her husband posted a photo of them to the rest of the family).
    Middle Son is aparently planning to run the same race next year. But not over two days; he intends to do it in a single burst.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great effort by your daughter, Columba - thanks for not posting the blister pics on here :) 

nice work running off the beer (?) effects, TS  

back to it today after a week off, with a steady 6 at noon, in the "cool" of a mere 21c 

Dave
  • Columba
    very well done to your daughter - I can imagine her feet were not a pretty sight :s 

It is so long since I did any ultra distances that I have almost forgotten the experience - but remember just enough not to want to do it again. 
    Strangely the last time I did one was after a similar long dry spell and the N Yorks Moors for the Lyke Wake Walk was nice and dry and encouraged a bit of running!

Dave
    you guessed correctly!
    Yesterday morning was one of extreme humidity and overcast skies here which totally drained me - not difficult at the moment anyway!  Struggled to even do my basic 3 miles and needed the rest of the day to recover!
    Big storms came in the afternoon and evening - thunder and lightning and lots of rain which soaked into the garden overnight and is now quite dry again
    Local Hash tonight so it's a walk to the pub rendezvous and a trail which will probably encompass most of the  hills I run on a normal day  - just in a different order!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hope the Hash went well, TS ;  never run further than the 26.2 myself (I have a pal who has done the Lakeland 100)  -  have you done many ultras? 

10.5 this morning, with my friend who is just back after a 3 month injury layoff - as she's "unfit", her easy pace is currently the same as mine :) 

Dave
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Hoping to catch up with some of you at LFOTM in Hyde Park.

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Tracey,good to hear from you again.

Dave,back into it with two good runs after your week off.

First run for me this morning after nearly four weeks out.Must admit it was a bit of a struggle with the heat and fitness loss which is a bit surprising.Well I done just three miles at a very slow pace.Strangely my test results for gout and the x-ray came back clear so i just don't know what the cause was.Well all being well now I will be running Hyde park next but not expecting much time wise.

• Hiya Tracey  :)
    hope to see you next Friday

Dave
    I had to laugh at your description of running with a friend who has just had a 3 month layoff :o
    I keep getting funny looks from runners I see in the morning who were used to me zooming by them and they now overtake me with ease
    Hash went well and it did encompass most of the regular hills - and a few more besides for  about 5.5 miles - with stops I hasten to add!
    The Roosters YPA ( Yorkshire Pale Ale!!) refreshed my dried throat and the second and third an............. you get the picture :p

Ray
    good to hear that your foot has cleared up and you have no long term problem but still a puzzle
    3 miles at a slow pace - welcome to my club

3.25 mile this morning in 30:10 - see what I mean about my club?

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Hi 

I've read everything since I was last on here many moons ago. I particularly note that both Mick and Ray have, or have had, puzzling foot issues. Welcome to the club guys. I hope it's behind you now.

My own mystery foot problem is still that, a mystery. I did go to see a podiatrist three weeks ago and as I expected she hadn't come across my symptoms in nearly 30 years of practice. But she did make a couple of suggestions, mainly wearing an extra pair of socks and lacing my shoe really tightly, and that did make an immediate improvement. Nothing spectacular but at least moving in the right direction. 

Together with increasing my stretching regime I can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel. I'm still not running more than 2.5 miles at a time, and that only in the last few weeks, so I need to go back to December for my last "proper" run.

However, I've decided to do a parkrun tomorrow, for my morale if nothing else. I reckon it'll involve three or four short stops for my stretching and toe wriggling routine but I can live with that. It will just be great to run with other people after all this time.

Really enjoying this year's Tour de France. A bit more attacking going on than usual. Like a lot of people I'd love to see Geraint Thomas take his yellow jersey all the way to Paris.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Graham - good to hear you're making progress, even if slightly more sedate than you would wish. Hope your parkrun went well - at the very least, it will serve as a marker  . .   

Ray - glad you've had the all-clear. Mysterious  . . .   

TS - at least we're still in the club, not out of it altogether !!  

good family session today - up to the semi-rural 5K loop - met daughter for 4 steady miles (slow for her), then my son joined us, and paced his sister for 8 miles tempo (his steady pace) , whilst I plodded my own way in the opposite direction, so seeing them on occasion, then we all finished off with a mile together, So, 11 for me, 9 for son, 13 (inc 8 tempo) for daughter.  Nice morning. Off to local Wetherspoons soon, for br(l)unch with my friend. Could involve ale . . .    
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Dave, you had a lovely day with your family. High mileage in this hot and sticky weather. Well done.

My park run went better than I could have hoped for. The tightening up in my toes came on after a kilometre but not too badly and I carried on. It went away without my stopping and that feels like a real breakthrough. It was fine for a mile and a half before I did stop for 30 seconds or so to stretch and wiggle but then it was ok right to the finish. I was so pleased and felt like a proper runner again for the first time for many months.

My time was 30:02 but couldn't care less about that. Another one next Saturday hopefully.

This evening I'm marshalling for a club handicap.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to say that I, too, will be at LFoM. Come and say hello: I will try to wear something with my name on! Unfortunately won't be running due to injury. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.