Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Dave
    .... just confirms you made the right decision.

I sneaked in an early run before going off to London at 1000 pleased that the extra hour in the morning gave me some daylight - not so pleased as it was -4C when I went out!
    Only did an easy 3 miles at 10 m/m pace but it confirmed that I had not done too much damage the day before for which I was thankful especially as I had gone on to take off, cut down and rehang 4 doors after new carpets were laid - that was more taxing than the running!!

Hash tonight at a pub 2 miles away so I can have an easy shamble there, run the hash, drink beer & eat and walk home :)  - oh and get up the next day to get the train to London again :(
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    no rest for the  . . . .    but I'm sure that doesn't apply to you, TS ;)    

lurgy easing a bit, allowed a very easy 8 with my chum today, after a day indoors yesterday.

Dave
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Impressed by the hard-as-nails people on this thread going out and running in sub-zero temperatures. Not that I haven't done it in the past (once ran in conditions so cold that the drink I'd taken with me froze even though it had sugar and a pinch of salt in it, and had started off at room temperature) but I don't think I'll do it this winter.

A couple of runs and a spin bike class this week.

Bon voyage Ray, and I hope all goes well for your son.
  • ...old - Dave :)

an easy 8 doesn't sound too easy after your recent experience

I did some hardcore workouts on the escalators in London yesterday. Unfortunately I had to get on a tube at Bank just after 5 o'clock - what a nightmare!!  I just don't know how people can do that day after day

Columba
    dry, sunny and cold is lovely - as long as one is adequately attired - and is by far my preferred running conditions, so bring it on!

By  contrast it was grey, dank and drizzly this morning but not wet enough for a jacket and I felt fresh enough to re run my course from Sunday - 5.26 miles done in 49:31 (9:25m/m) 

09:29
    09:11
    09:27
    09:14
    10:18
    01:52

and I felt a little better doing it than on Sunday.

So another milestone - the first time I have attempted 5+ miles on a weekday for many, many months.  Maybe, just maybe...................
  • Back to the lovely dry,crisp & sunny conditions -3C felt perfect in the bright sunshine

4.1 miles done in 39:18 (9:39m/m) over my "easier " route which only has 75m of ascent in it and most of that is in the first 1.5 miles.  It does take me to the highest point in town and the views this morning over the Vale of York and the distance N York Moors were spectacular in the low angle sunshine

10:15
    09:37
    08:58
    09:48
    00:40

quite pleased with that, relatively, after yesterdays effort 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    can picture those views, TS - beautiful !  good work with the 5 +  miler, too  :)   

lovely here too, this morn (though clouded over now) - did an hour with my friend, then initially set off to run the mile and a bit home, but made the decision to carry on, and ended up with 13.5, inserting "efforts" (relative term) -  2 x half mile flat, and 3 x 400m ish hills .   First double digit run for 4 weeks.   

My daughter, son, and son's girlfriend all doing Abbey Dash (Leeds) tomorrow, so I've volunteered chauffeur duty . . . .    

Dave
  • Dave
    very good "effort" all round and well into double digits.
    you nearly did my weekly mileage in one day!

good luck to all the family for the Abbey Dash - it has become a hugely popular race and it rewards with good times with its course profile.

feeling chuffed with me weeks efforts so far I went out this morning and immediately felt slightly weary but manged to run the same 5.26 miles as the earlier efforts in 51:17 (9:45m/m) 
    09:47
    09:11
    09:56
    09:34
    10:36
    02:12

Must have been the exhaustion after watching England play yesterday - how they managed to beat the Boks I will never know - but the beer and pork pies were very good!!

Anyway it gave me another 20+ mile week - 23.22 miles in fact and in case Alehouse looks in = 37.36 km which looks so impressive I may have to stick with them in future :)
  • Kms definitely the way to go TS! My 28.95 sounds far more than your 23.22! Second highest week of the year. Won't be doing 13+ any time soon in either ks or miles though: well done Birch

I also watched the game, TS: the Boks should have put the game out of reach in the first half...and how Farrell didn't concede a penalty, and possibly a yellow, I don't know. Mind you my rugby playing friends say the only people on the field who understand the laws are the refs.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Columba,
    Water freezing was a major problem when I use to cross country ski. I found that if I put it around my waist but under my jacket, it did not freeze solid just slushy.

TS,
    You definitely seem to be making progress but I think you need another parkrun as my latest 5k knock off a few more seconds.
    My race today was a prediction so no watch data.
    I predicted 26:35 and finished in 26:24 which was good for the best pacer award.

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nice pacing, Mick ;  how are things on the racoon front ? 

alehouse/TS - miles still the currency here :)     -  after a couple of easy days Sun (jogged a couple whilst watching Abbey Dash), and Mon (rest), a very slow (but enjoyable) 10 with chum yesterday, and 10 more today - again slow, with a different friend, but with 6 "efforts" of approx. 400m in the 2nd half.    

if anyone inclined, highlights of New York Marathon (from the weekend) is on Freesports (Freeview Channel 95) today at 5pm, and Friday at 10pm.  

Dave 
  • alehouse
    I think I'll stick with imperial - I know to the second what pace I am running with that - the answer is always slowly!
    It was a funny old game - I fear this Saturday will not be quite so amusing when NZ come calling.

Mick
    a slight upward tick perhaps but nothing to get excited about
    Excellent prediction performance - was that over 5k as well?

Dave
    you have too many running friends who lure you out:-)

Cut back week this week - not planned but I was in London on Monday, Manchester today and I am away in the Lakes for Thursday & Friday so last night's hash was about the only running I will get in. That was 5.5 miles in all with some tough bits to it as we were back in the K'boro Gorge again.
    I had been given a lift so was able to fully sample the Daleside Blonde along with the very good food after the run :p

• Hello all; still here, still running a bit.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    We currently have the raccoons on the run, no sign of them. They have probably moved next door.
    Impressive mileage from you.

TS,
    Yes over the 5k.
    I will have to do another 5k before the snow flies, I ought to be able to get close to your last parkrun, not that I am competitive or anything.

Columba,
    How's the knee doing?

Monday and Tuesday I attended a drawing workshop, the models kept their clothes on as the focus was portrait.
    An easy 10k today, weather was good so just enjoyed my run around the trails before I cannot.

Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - you certainly know how to replenish the reserves after a session !  

well, after the successive 10's earlier this week, 9 on Thurs, 6 yesterday & 15 this morning gives me 50 over 5 days - heady heights nowadays  . . .  rest day tomorrow (and birthday lunch for my mother) :)
  • Hi Columba :) - keep it going

Mick
    good news on the raccoon front!
    Pleased to see you kept your drawing focus..............

Not that I am competitive or anything but coming back from the Lakes I thought I had just had the perfect taper over the last few days - well, apart from the wine and fine food that is - so I nipped out to the parkrun this morning

Wish I hadn't as I struggled throughout after trying and failing to raise the pace in the first mile and managed only a 4 second improvement over the last parkrun effort finishing in 25:55 and an average AG of 69.82 :(

8:11
    8:25
    8:30
    0:49

I only felt slightly stronger at the finish than previously and managed to raise the pace a bit which accounted for the fractional improvement.
    I finished 139/382 overall and 21st on AG results - oh and first in my age group - which wasn't very large anyway!
    Need to find 5 seconds to nudge the AG over 70%...................
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Consistent performance at least and a 70% AG is not to be sneezed at.
    I am only 30s away and with my current rate of improvement you could be in trouble.
    The war with the raccoons is not over. They made an attack but our defences held. We heard them on the roof and there were blood stains on one of our porch posts where they climbed down with a clear paw print. It seems one of them must have cut its paw on the wire mesh that is our first line of defence.

We had our first significant snow yesterday so I was forced indoors.
    09:05 AM Saturday, November 10, 2018
    Treadmill8k, hardwork, 6.2mph

Total Non-moving Time = 5.0 secs
    Run Duration = 49:52,  Run Length = 8.60 Kms or 5.34 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 05:48 per Km or 09:20 per Mile, Age grade =  64.4 %

Moving Run Duration = 49:47 (* Laps include non-moving time)
    Average Run Moving Pace = 05:47 per Km or 09:19 per Mile, Age grade =  64.5 %
    Average Run WHR = 81.0 %,  Max Run WHR = 93.3 %

Average Run Cadence = 86.2, Average stride length = 1.00 m

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    * 01     06:36     1.0        0.6      06:36      10:37      60.0%     76.3%      86.0       0.88
    #02     05:37     1.0        0.6      05:37      09:02      71.1%     74.8%      88.0       1.01
    #03     05:28     1.0        0.6      05:28      08:48      77.0%     80.7%      87.0       1.05
    #04     05:32     1.0        0.6      05:32      08:54      81.5%     84.4%      87.0       1.04
    #05     05:35     1.0        0.6      05:35      08:59      84.4%     87.4%      86.0       1.04
    #06     05:41     1.0        0.6      05:41      09:09      88.1%     90.4%      86.0       1.02
    #07     05:40     1.0        0.6      05:40      09:07      89.6%     92.6%      85.0       1.04
    #08     05:38     1.0        0.6      05:38      09:04      90.4%     93.3%      85.0       1.04
    #09     03:28     0.6        0.4      05:47      09:19      90.4%     93.3%      85.0       1.02

I did not think I would need a fan to keep cool but I was wrong and I overheated as you can see from my HR.

Mick
  • Mick

was it wire mesh or barbed wire?!
    You were working hard on your treadmill run - to me treddie running always feels much harder than running outside but you were managing a good pace throughout

It's not 70% yet - it's 0.18% adrift :(
    I guess I should start wishing you get snow for the next few months :)

Did an easy 3 miles yesterday and thought I would extend it this morning to 4+ miles but again felt uncomfortable and when I got to the steepest part of the big hill I just looked at it glowing in the early sunshine, covered as it was with leaf fall, and just said to myself - "b8gger it, I'm walking up" and that's what I did.
    First time in living memory I have not run it when I have set out to do so.  I suspect my meds have slipped a bit - or the calorific intake whilst away is still weighing heavy on me................
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    8K is a good treadmill session, Mick  .

tantalisingly close to the 70% mark, TS - and just a blip with "the hill", I'm sure - blame the calories for both !  

just over 6 today with my friend, and a first for me in nearly 33 years of running - we each drove to meet at our regular equi-distant spot, but after a few strides she exclaimed "aargh, I can't run"!   it turns out she'd forgotten to put on her sports bra !!  had to drive over to her's , and after the garment was donned, we proceeded to serenely complete another route :)   
  • Lol @ Birch, - that happened to me once, when I was going out with the running club. I ran anyway but it wasn't very comfortable.
    Mick - knee is doing reasonably well, thank you. As long as I wear the knee brace for running, it doesn't seem to trouble me. When I remember, I do exercises which are (I think) designed to strengthen the muscles that support the knee.
    On Saturday I did the Aberystwyth parkrun. There being no parkruns nearby, I am going in for parkrun tourism. Not often, though, maybe one a month, as it involves staying away from home overnight (the alternative to setting out at some absolutely ungodly hour in the morning). Aberystwyth is nice and flat (well, most of Aberystwyth isn't, but the parkrun course is) and I managed to complete it in under 40 minutes, which pleased me, in spite of heavy rain all over my glasses and a dead battery in one of my hearing aids. Can't rival TS's nearly-70% WAVA, but at least mine was in the 60s (62.something)
  • Dave
    well that's a new one  :) Hope she didn't need a helping hand.............
    Trying to think what the male equivalent  would be!!

I would rather blame the meds than the calorie intake - at least the latter was pleasurable!

Columba
    well done on your parkrun tourism and for your excellent AG despite the obstacles.
    Actually I believe it is time we had some equality between the sexes on AG - nearly half the folk in front of me by AG results were women of a certain age!!  Although bearing in mind Dave's graphic description of undergarment mishaps perhaps females do have more to put up than blokes ;)

Hash tonight is from an uber trendy pub with its own brewery on display at he back and on a mezzanine floor. Fortunately it is within walking distance...............
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Columba - 62% not to be sniffed at - nicely done :)  

TS - you're perhaps enjoying the post-hash refreshments as I type - pork pie served on a slate, or maybe a plank of wood, as you're in "uber trendy" premises ;)  

out early today (ran from garage after taking car for service/mot at 7:30)  - legs much better than on yesterday's outing; managed 10 with a few "efforts" in there.   

Dave 
  • Darrrhhhing - it was so uber trendy that it had no food - just metal topped tables on which to perch one's pint :)
    Went home full - but not with food..............

Anyway 5.2 miles done with lots of stops on a mild evening followed up by 3.2 miles this morning at a gentle 10m/m pace avoiding the b@stard hill. Very mild so shorts and tee shirt weather.

Good early miles from you yesterday Dave - will you have to run back to pick up your car?
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nice work, TS  

no, walked to pick car up - just a couple of miles as the crow flies  . .    5 miles very easy this morn  - mild here too  . .  
  • Dave
    aaaahhh I thought the garage journey had been a straight line one

Must be a time for very easy running as I did 4.15 mils this morning in 40 min precisely (9:45m/m) pace and which included the hill although it didn't seem too bad in the glorious sunshine - and easy pace.
    My run did take me through the just opened Christmas market and I received an encouraging clap from the lady mayor who had just completed the opening and was walking through the stalls :)
  • needed a recovery run after a rugby super Saturday - much beer and pork pie consumed :D
    Excellent win by Ireland over NZ - huge intensity in the game.

I didn't quite translate that intensity to my run this morning but still did 5.25 miles in 50:52 (9:38m/m) and 100m of climb on a dank, misty morn - so misty that it settled on my black base layer like a fine spider's web of condensation!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    pleased to hear you were reunited with your sustenance of choice, TS . . . 

XC League race #3 yesterday, and, although I was near the back again, I at least was strong enough to try hard - proving (to myself) that I wasn't "weak" to drop out of race #2, but that it was a sensible decision (a lesson not to start when feeling cr*p, particularly now a bit older).  Will wait for results later in week to where I figure in the V60-64 standings. Legs feeling it this morning - 10K at effort on rolling, soft (but not muddy) parkland, sure is sapping !  

Dave

• Dave

...it's the only way - proper dietary provision :)
    Well done on the xcountry race and I'm not surprised you can feel your legs this morning.
    Is that a new found "mature " approach to running breaking through?

Just back from an early morning meeting in Manchester - chaos on a delayed train as the train company decide to abandon it at Piccadilly as it was running so late and all those travelling on to the airport had to get off and find another train to complete the journey- some very anxious faces at the prospect of missing a flight!!!

So no run this morning but I did spy this article
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/nov/19/michael-johnson-back-to-normal-stroke-anger

He says it took him 15 min to do 200m in the hospital so we could stand a chance of beating him!
    Seriously sad news that a guy as fit as him could suffer a stroke
  • A few unremarkable little runs have taken place, and on Saturday I had fun marshalling the Elan Valley 10 mile road race, an annual event. I've run it 2 or 3 times, but am not able to tackle 10 miles at present, especially as they're very hilly ones. Marshalling is almost as much fun, and the marshalls got soup and rolls and tea and a slice of bara brith afterwards.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    I know a little bit of snow in the uk causes total chaos but noone posting, it must be really cold.
    Winter has arrived here really early, lots of snow and very cold as in -20c windchill.
    I don't do deep freeze anymore so lots of treadmill work for me. There is an upside to it as it allows me to concentrate on correcting my gait. Things seem to be progressing well.
    My latest run shows my stride length has slowly lengthened which is pleasing. Still overheating a bit but the fans really help.
    11:17 AM Friday, November 23, 2018
    Treadmill6k, felt v good.
    Run Duration = 35:02,  Run Length = 6.0 Kms or 3.7 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 05:49 per Km, 09:22 per Mile, Age grade =  62.7 %
    Average Run WHR = 74.7 %,  Max Run WHR = 90.4 %
    Average Run Cadence = 86.2, Average stride length = 1.00 m
    Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile   MPH      AWHR     MWHR   Cadence  Slength(m)
     01     06:04     1.0        0.6      06:04      09:46     06.1     54.1%     61.5%       86.0        0.96
     02     05:44     1.0        0.6      05:44      09:14     06.5     65.2%     70.4%       86.0        1.01
     03     05:49     1.0        0.6      05:49      09:22     06.4     74.8%     78.5%       86.0        1.00
     04     05:40     1.0        0.6      05:40      09:07     06.6     81.5%     84.4%       87.0        1.01
     05     05:43     1.0        0.6      05:43      09:12     06.5     84.4%     87.4%       86.0        1.02
     06     05:42     1.0        0.6      05:42      09:10     06.5     88.1%     90.4%       86.0        1.02

Mick

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    cold, but no snow, Mick . . .       

Columba - yes, marshalling is fun - I'm doing so at my local 10K next Sunday  

TS - mature approach - maybe took it a little too far, with 3 days off after last week's XC - so a lowkey week - 7 yesterday, including parkrun . These days I start halfway back, and run hard when the field thins enough to allow - so, probably about 2.25 miles effort.     Do this mainly as my local parkrun is now so crowded - 646 finishers yesterday. 
    XC League - I'm currently in 6th place in the V60-64 category, with one fixture to go)  .  

Dave