Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Dave: It sounds like you really enjoy your session yesterday :) Thanks I think I am looking forward to it apart from first hard and hilly mile :D

This morning 3.3 miles average pace 9.55 which for 6am is pretty good and nice to see average pace under 10 :) first time legs have not felt heavy since race.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    sounds like a perfect per race run :)  Good luck on Sunday - that hilly first mile should stop you going off too fast!

Dave
    6 mile fartlek is impressive work - well done.  hot shower is a just reward :)

Thanks for comments on my mini streak! The turnaround is quite quick from Tuesday evening but the refreshments help
     I prolonged it for another day with another 4 miles this morning on legs that were tired but where the stiffness had gone so I flowed a bit more easily for 38:20 (9:35m/m) and managed to keep a 10 min off the splits

9:52  avHR 123  max 133
    9:16  avHR 130  max 137
    9:19  avHR 133  max 139
    9:55  avHR 139  max 147

I will admit to slightly raising the pace in the last 200m to get within the 10 ;)

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave-six miles of Fartlek is good going.

Welshpoppy-have a good race on Sunday.

TS-you are quietly racking up the miles,good the legs feel a tad better.

Club run last night was 6x1mile efforts with 3mins jog recovery.Quite pleased with my times but feeling it today.
    7:29/7:27/7:23/7:36/7:32/7:42

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    That's a tough session, Ray! No wonder you are feeling it today: I'm still feeling Wednesday's quicker session!

That course may well suit you, WP, if you don't go off too quickly and adopt the Alehouse pass-people-all-the-way-strategy!

Nice work with the fartlek, Birch: and since you have posted it has become an even more interesting week for football!

TS: nice streaking! I rarely keep a 10 minute mile off the cards. Usually start very slowly as it seems to take me longer and longer to get going. Around 25 minutes "easy" yesterday and today, although not easy at all for the first couple of ks each day, despite over a day off (from Wednesday 11 a.m. to Thursday 6 p.m!). Could do more but trying to stick to the no more than 10% increase per week rule and in fact probably closer to 5%. Worked hard on the conditioning work on Tuesday and still have sore stomach muscles from that! Plus an easier conditioning session yesterday evening. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - pleasing (and good timing) that your legs feeling good  . . . 

TS - good work all round - streak & < 10 mins  . .   

Ray - 6 x 1 mile is some session !  good times, too - looks like you paid for #5 a bit, in #6

alehouse - I admire your discipline with the conditioning.  Like you, I start very steadily - first couple of miles must be well over 10 mins each. 14.5 inc parkrun this morn (started at the very back this week) - legs feeling Thursday's fartlek, despite 3 "easy" , mainly on grass, yesterday.  

Dave
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done Birch: if I ran 14.5 (either kms or miles!) I wouldn't be able to walk the next day, and certainly wouldn't have managed it after Thursday's fartlek. 
    10k for me, including parkrun in the middle, starting off slowly and gradually speeding up and passing people, but in control. Still wearing plenty! 23:27, 71.5% age grading. Then a brief session in the fitness suite to stretch the Achilles on the leg press machine.

Looking forward to your report, WP!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
    TS: What  a great set of numbers and no 10's;-)

Ray: Great efforts at club! But that must have been hard.

Dave: Another great run with parkrun sandwiched in the middle;-) i guess we all take time to recover from sessions.

Alehouse:That sounds like a great effort yesterday although how you can wear plenty is beyond me I over heat and hate to bundled up  especially arms and legs.

I will do my best today;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
    edited May 2019
    Race report

A very hot and hilly race! 
    The start was delayed by 30 minutes you do not rush this village apparently one old boy told me last year it started an hour late and he told me he was going right to back as the first mile is a killer.....oh dear
    Not sure about how many runners maybe 100 mostly club runners and I start at the back and as I do not run well in heat thought sensible race plan as the announcer said the car would pick up those who could not continue ...which made me think gosh this is going to be hard.
    I see the hill and think can I go home....but off course the gun goes off and away we go but almost immediately the runners in front of me are walking????
    Anyway I just work within myself and pass lots of runners and soon mile 1 has beeped and a water stop I need a drink so half a cup and away i go it is undulating and by 3 miles I have worked through field,by mile 4 with just a girl in front that I can see ,but as country roads and not closed a car shoots out I have to stop and the girl gets ahead and I can not catch her.I see finish line and think over so quickly.

We got a medal, tshirt and bottle of water all for £6 and a great community spirit.Would I come back oh yes I really enjoyed the shambles at the start, not telling you were we start a different place to the start banner....LOL
    splits

I also think according to Alun I was 4th in my old gals age group.We may get results but who know's:-)

Achilles sure felt the first mile also my asthma also kicked in towards the end but nothing my inhaler cured after the race.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Nice work, WP! Sounds like a "proper" race i.e. from the dim and distant past! 
    So, WWW/EBI? (3 points about what went well, and 3 points about "even better if")

45.5k for the week here, highest for a couple of years. Might not sound much but it is enough for me to be thinking about an easier week before I get carried away...and injured. Actually am working most of the week so that may well compromise Monday's long run and Wednesday's "speed" session. Don't normally work those days, hence why those sessions work well then.

Beautiful day here, but is was only 2 degrees first thing and still rather chilly in the shade when I ran, so several layers on top: train heavy, race light is the way to go anyway! 
    Was thinking of going for a pint, but all the pubs in the village are packed with celebrating Man City fans; will have to settle for a nice glass or two of red instead.
    edited May 2019
    Alehouse: That is great mileage for the week and sensible to add an air of caution.

As I say I loved this race because it was old school and will stay on race calendar year in year out.Even the race numbers were card placing's from last year agri show :) We are going to go support the show in late July as it sounds a fun day out.

1.Taking the first mile easy
    2.Altering race plan due to heat.
    3.Starting at the back  and over taking people this is second race I have done that  and I like it!

EBI

1.Try to stick to my hillier route in training 3 times a week
    2. Learn to drink from cups on the move rather than stopping.
    3.speed up on the downhill section's( road needed repairing and we were warned to be careful)

Boy I am achy this morning especially my calf's so will just listen to my body on my run as always.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good analysis, WP!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great stuff, WP - well done - and loved the report, too (like the "card" race numbers) :)  
     . . .  and post-race soreness is much more satisfying than general, run-of-the-mill stiffness etc   :)     

speaking of which,  adhering to your "run every day" plan, alehouse, I ventured out for 3.5 yesterday, instead of resting after Sat's 14.5, and, whilst not exactly bounding along, the legs did feel a bit better than I expected . .  so, 27 miles for the week, I think, without getting the calculator out, a handful of K's less than your total  . . .   

lovely day here, so should abandon the keyboard & get out there . . . .  

Dave 
  • Welshpoppy
    Sounded like a great race and atmosphere - chaos all round!!
    very well done for starting off cautiously and then being able to push on with your fastest split being the last!

I have never mastered drinking from a cup - tend to pour it over my head and lick the errant bits that come down my cheeks - too much information :)?!

Ray
    they were very good mile reps indeed - really good pace off not much recovery

Alehouse
    very impressive AG off a middle of a run parkrun.
    I see you are obeying the dictum - "ne'er cast a clout till May is out"  - "and put it back on in August"!

My perfect football scenario was for Man City to lose and 'Pool to be winning 1-0 with 1 min to go when Fabhino gives away a silly free kick and Wolves scored - karma for the cheating he indulged in against Newcastle - so I am quite happy the way it ended up.

Dave
    ditto on the middle of a run parkrun!

If I ran to the start of the local one I wouldn't be able to complete it - and it's only 2.5 miles away. And then How would I get back home?!!

Despite my "streak" I only managed 25.1 miles last week (40.4Km) and after yesterday's 5.2 mile run I dug and shifted several tonnes of topsoil in the garden.  Result was I could scarcely move this morning despite the perfect weather conditions of cool air and warm sun so I plodded 2.5 miles and was pleased it was over!!!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that you could do anything today, TS, after the exertions in the garden! If you can maintain, or slightly increase on 25 miles a week I think progress will be made! Consistent consistency of the progressive kind, with the odd step back/recovery week (or a few days) thrown in.

Talking of recovery week, finished work earlier than anticipated so decided to cut back from last Monday's 70 minutes to 45, and as it was warm I only wore one long-sleeved top. Finished the 45 minutes and saw that I had run a shade over 8k. Not long before I decided to make that up to 10. Felt comfortable so I guess that represents a cut back in effort! Followed by a good deal of gardening: the garden received little attention last year because of my fractured back; parts need rather too much effort at present!

Suspect your miles will soon be much higher than mine, Birch! 28.29 miles for me last week. Will probably be less this week. 
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Welshpoppy-hot and hilly races are and a delayed start as well,can definitely lose your focus.Goody bag and entrance fee seems a bargain,and the fact you enjoyed it as well is good.

Dave-the mileage is creeping up again with a parkrun  included as well.

TS-your mileage is pretty good really.My back is also aching after re-pointing almost all of the patio.

Alehouse-gardening is hard work and I count it as x-training of sorts.

Just 8miles for me yesterday a bit pressed for time.My mileage for the week was only 24,but a couple of tough sessions done.
    Dave: My card was yellow so think all Ladies V50 were yellow I guess easier to spot and see the top 3 coming in.(My card was for  2 kidney potatoes...LOL)

27 miles for the week top stuff I can see some competitiveness over weekly mileage creeping in :)

TS:I love the cup technique I must try it sometime :D
    If you ask me gardening is a dangerous hobby for runner's!!

Ale:Well done on 10k yesterday and on a some nice mileage.Watch the gardening though!

Ray:It sounds although mileage might have been low some key sessions quality over quantity.

I think last week was 32 miles for me which is low but good as tapering.

Yesterday 6 miles, quads, calf and glutes are achy but in a good way that they worked hard.

Today 6 again as time poor as Grocery shop being delivered at 8am so hoping to slightly increase miles tomorrow if all okay.I may need to get foam roller and spiky ball out.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    2 kidney potatoes - that must be a new award :)

you are quite right - gardening and patio pointing are the devil's work when it comes to running!!  My sympathies to those fellow sufferers

I dug some more yesterday - hot, dry conditions and then went to the Hash in the beautiful Lower Nidderdale valley.  wished I hadn't as my knees were aching and my energy levels were very low and the 4.8 miles of off road trail didn't improve matters - although the Doom Bar afterwards certainly did   :)
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Welshpoppy,your mileage count is quiet impressive.

TS,Doom Bar probably makes it worth the pain.

Done a small pyramid session at the track last night,no energy and real struggle to get going thanks to the gardening.
  • Alehouse
    the current max of 25 miles is about as far as I can push my body given the constraints of thyroid production.  It is frustrating as I know I should be capable of much more but until I can see an endocrinologist and get more detailed tests done I am stuck in this low level of activity 
    edited May 2019
    The bar of Doom I like it :) But maybe digging pre run was a little unwise? :) But great work on the trail run.

7 miles for me back on hilly route 125 m elevation  and second fastest for course which as I was running easy was unexpected lots of room for improvement but happy with progress.

EDIT
    You guys snuck in as I was typing.

Ray: What did I say about gardening :) sorry you lacked energy for track session but at least you tried.
    My  mileage is the normal I can do the miles it is the key sessions I can not do.

TS Any news on the thyroid? or when the appointment will be?

Can I just say no gardening when you have key sessions or run's please :D

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    not yet - I am about to get my doc to get a private appointment

Ray
    it needed a lot of Doom Bar :)

3.5 miles this morning still with aftereffects of run and gardening. Struggled.............
    edited May 2019
    Torque: Sorry you struggled yesterday :(

Second rest day I have some sort of virus RHR up 13 beats although it was 19 yesterday so slowly coming down.I thought Hayfever but sadly not.

Can I ask about HRM I have in the past had the Garmin strap which chaff's badly so I bought a Mio link wrist base unit to use with Garmin which has worked well, but the strap near the buckle is breaking. Alun is going to see if he can glue it for me and I have emailed company about replacement strap although they seem not so good with customer support.
    So what do you guys use? I am weighing all my options up.......
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Nice to see lots of activity here. We had a great holiday in Arizona and Utah, staying with friends and then visiting some of the wonderful national parks. Bit of a nightmare getting back though as the flight from Phoenix was delayed 26 hours.

Anyway, I'm back running again after rather losing interest a couple of months ago. The foot's improved a bit again and I've redoubled my regime of stretches and exercises. I'm running most days but so far no more than a couple of miles. The aim is to do a park run the weekend after next, time immaterial. We'll see how it goes but I can't imagine not running at all.
  • Welshpoppy

and I struggled again today running the same route :(

I am now using a garmin 235 with wrist based HRM.  Works very most of the time, just like the old garmin with chest strap but its a lot less fiddly and it certainly doesn't chafe.  It also links with a smart phone if that is your bag :)
    A charge also lasts for a long time (up to a week) so it can be used as normal watch and it will give you a buzz when it thinks you should be moving.  It is a lot less bulky than the old 410 and it locks onto GPS very quickly indeed.

Graham
    welcome back.  I am very envious of your trip having always had a liking for John Ford westerns and his spectacular use of the scenery in those States as a backdrop to some of his most memorable films

good to hear you are back running.  Like you, and despite my fatigued state, I can't rally imaging not running..............
    Graham: Welcome back that sounds a great trip shame about the flights home.
    As long  as you are running nothing else matters as in time etc.

Torque: Ah but it will get better I have days were I have to pull my big girl pants up and just get on with run -then for no reason it all comes good again but it can be so disheartening.

Thanks for Garmin help I have a 310Xt but did buy a 230 2 years ago never got on with it as I had 4 replacements as they were all faulty but the last 3 months the latest replacement has worked so the 310XT being put back in the drawer as a spare.So I may upgrade to the 235 and sell the 230 would be easier all around.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Welshpoppy
    I also have a Garmin 235 and overall find it a pretty decent watch.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back on here, GL! I'm sure you will be soon be back to where you were with some consistency for a month or two. 

TS, if you can maintain around the 25 mile mark you will still make good progress. Hope you can get an appointment asap. 

WP: still on my trusty 310XT, and don't use the hr facility! Never really got on with hr training but quite good at running to feel. I hope. Have a Tomtom cardio 2 but only use that as a back up, and as an everyday watch. 

Another parkrun today, again slightly over-dressed and with 3k warm-up but just 1k warm-down (I was in a rush and this is supposedly cut-back week anyway). 1 second quicker than last week but I think I had to put in slightly more effort than last time out. Ran hard on Wednesday (2 x 1k off-road with 2 minutes recovery) and not sure that I had recovered from that, or from several long gardening sessions (dangerous that sport!). Stomach felt slightly strained, right hip irritated and both glutes weren't quite firing properly. 

Long day tomorrow: 8 o'clock start to help at Great Manchester half, and then over to the 10k with the last finisher expected around 4. 
    Ray: Thanks looks like a 235 is on my shopping list then :)

Alehouse:Oh dear I blame all woes on gardening but sounds a good parkrun. Good luck today at Manchester it sounds a long day for you!!

I ran 4.25 miles yesterday and 6.53 today yesterday was pretty nippy but today a little slower and had a headache so I blame the head for my legs being slower.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Graham,seems like you had a good holiday apart from the delay.Hope you can get some injury free training in.

Welshpoppy,consistent training hope the headache is gone.

Graham: How is your training going?

Headache seems to come and go must be the heat as I hate heat.

7 miles yesterday it was good to get back  to usual route and just about to go out for my run.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression