Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Welshpoppy, not sure I'd dignify what I'm currently doing as training! But I am running most days, usually a 2.1 circuit on the Town Moor grass with two short but very steep hills. You should move here to the NE if you don't like heat....

alehouse, another good parkrun. Hope you enjoyed the Manchester races.

Ray, you must have been over the moon with Spurs result against Ajax. you certainly reached the final the hard way.

TS, yes, seeing Monument Valley was like walking into a film. 

A friend of mine reached his 60th birthday last week. I told him my 60s were my most enjoyable decade by far. I wonder what others feelings are? I suspect those with families or who had more rewarding careers than mine may feel differently. Non- running I know, but I'd be interested to hear back.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Graham: I knew I would find a cooler place to live than Wales..... Running /Training all good in my book.

Ray: How is your running?

7 miles  again today similar pace to yesterday so I will take that.

Looking at races as I don't have a half marathon looks like I may found one Dale half in Pembroke undulating ;) September 9am start which suits me.I also fancy Port Talbot half in August but around Afan Argoed(i used to train there pre achilles for long run) so would need to check terrain.

Finally got time sheet for results of race 5th old girl but just 35 secs between me and 4th old girl...that 4th spot is mine next year :disappointed:

I will ponder on the question Graham ....
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hi all

Graham
    I think I have enjoyed all my life so far - and long may it continue :)!!
    Each decade has had different highs (and a few lows) although my late 50's were probably were the worst with work and family pressures/bereavements taking a toll.  I got rid of the work pressures by retiring - and then starting again on my own a few months later which was immensely liberating!

Currently a bit frustrated by my failing body and the inability of medical science to put me back together again

Welshpoppy
    Good training work going on and race targets getting set.
    Think you will have to aim higher than 4th old girl :)

Well Sunday saw me reconnoitering a trail for the hash for tonight in Nidderdale and very pleasant it was too, if hilly as Iran nearly 6 miles off road.
    Went back yesterday to lay it properly with flour markings and found that he village had been inundated by "Community Volunteers" cleaning paths, cutting grass and generally tidying the place up.
    No problem thought I I will go up the hills to the meadows and lay trail there. Did the 120 m climb out of the dale and found the bloomin' farmers were cutting silage in the very fields where the footpaths ran!!
    Abandoned trail laying and went back this morning to lay a completely new trail in lovely weather and so did another 4.5 miles.
    All I have to do now is run it again this evening ...................

• ....well I survived, just :)
    Beautiful weather, brilliant sunshine all evening, clear blue sky, everything green and bursting with life - well apart from all those folk whom I had dragged up the hills - but the views across the dale were truly spectacular and I did give them a downhill stretch back to the pub where they had laid on excellent grub including special award winning pork pies and sausages from nearby Pateley Bridge

Of course I can't move this morning................
    Torque:I am  so glad it was a great event it sure sounds like it was :) Refreshments sounds just the job to recover.

I hope you can move with ease later in the day.

Back to hilly route today 8 miles and quicker than last time so i will take that,also feeling less fatigued.Well I do have a hilly half to run so need to keep the hilly route in schedule :)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Graham-probably my biggest regret is not doing a lot better at school.On the plus side I got a trade as a electrician which always kept me in work.

TS-not had a pork pie for ages,they sound worth running hard for.

Welshpoppy-my running is a bit hit and miss at the moment as life gets the way.

First 10k of the series tonight and my first run as a vet70.Run a time of 48:30 which is 7:46pace for miles,so halfway happy to have got round.Not sure if I won my category as the results are normally up the next day.Going to the Lake District for four days next,so hope to get a few runs in or walks will do as well.
    Graham: But you are doing the best you can :)
    Well  don on V70 status and that sounds a great time to me for your 10k race.Finger's crossed you won your category :)I  am sure you will get some great running or and walks  in:-)

8 miles for yesterday  for me but need to watch as achilles a little niggly I may switch route's today to a less hilly one.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Happy belated birthday, Ray! Decent 10k there: must be over 75% on age grading!

Sounds like a good, but tough, day on Tuesday, TS

Not a lot to report here apart from struggling with a couple of new niggles: hip and heel. Trying to get a physio appointment as soon as!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • good morning

well that was bizarre!!
    As I typed my previous post I had a slight tickle in my throat which I put down to too much shouting the night before keeping folk on track but within an hour I had a raging sore throat, racking cough, soaring temperature, running nose and generally so rough that I went to bed and didn't get up for another 24 hours!!
    A bit improved now but still on the sick list :/

Ray
    very well done on your 10K time. I wouldn't be too despondent with it, in fact it is almost identical time to the first 10K I ran as a V70 and which turned out to be the last 10K race I have done - so maybe you should feel despondent!!
    Enjoy the Lakes - whereabouts are you going?  The hills can be quite steep in places :)  It is always good to be out in different places and not know what to expect or where the trail may lead

Welshpoppy
    very consistent running there - good distances each day. Are you running on roads and if so watch out for the camber affecting your achilles as running on one side of the road puts extra pressure on the ankles

alehouse
    the good news that I have from running so slowly is that I have fewer visits to the physio!
  • where is Mick - he can't be still snowed in????
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Graham - welcome back

Ray - splendid 10K time - good debut in the new category !

WP - excellent miles - any races planned?  

alehouse - hope the niggles prove to be just that.  you've been running well recently  . . .   

TS - dedicated trail laying - shame your reward was a sudden 24 hours confinement to bed !  get well soon  . . .      though, speaking of your prior reward (pork pie), my mother appeared at my door a couple of days ago, bearing that very item - she'd seen them in the butcher's shop, and thought I'd like one :)   I did !!   
    You mention camber - these days I have a spot, midway on outside of right foot arch, which can be quite sore, and affect my gait if the camber is at the "wrong" angle.  
    Tsk, these "problems"  ;)    

anyway, trying to get back on track now, so a 7 mile bimble yesterday teatime was followed by 6 miles at 8am today (was beautiful out there)   

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    . . . .   and, following that, a 5 mile evening walk to a public house, and a 2 mile "route one" walk home, meant 13 miles in my legs for the day , and it told this morning - the last 2 miles of my hilly 14 were a real "death march" ;  felt quite light-headed at the end, with mild dehydration playing its part.  Still, its done now, and not feeling too bad after food & drink.  Time to look ahead . . .    

Dave
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    A fair few miles the last few days then, Birch! 14 is a long way these days!

parkrun this morning and decided to run on grass to be kinder to the heel. Achilles was not too happy towards the end and immediately after but that was to be expected. Heel was fine, and is whilst running. Went to one I have not been to for a long time and couldn't actually remember the exact course...apart from it is all grass or dried mud, and undulating. Took it pretty steadily, at the start, as always, and gradually picked it up, although it is a course to run by effort, not pace, due to the turns and undulations. Was very pleased with 23:41 given the circumstances and the lack of effort involved...apart from the last hill which was a real struggle. 70.8% on the age grading: jealous of Ray’s 75%!

Thoughts on the heel please: when I stretch, for example touching my toes (can normally get my hands almost flat on the floor) I get halfway past my knees and I get a searing pain on the inside of my heel. Quite a strange sensation!

Was wondering during the run where Mick is, and also how NZC is getting on!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
    Torque: I hope you are feeling better and out of bed and off sick list? These bugs are so random and attack without warning.

Thanks for tip and yes all pavement running on hilly route and as out and back usually one side out and opposite on way back.Same with cycle track.It is the reason I do not run on prom as the camber is all wrong for me and my hip goes, knee pain etc.

Dave :That is some good miles you are racking up well done.On your question any races planned where do you want me to start :)

June 5th 5k
    July 3rd 5k...last of series
    July 7th 10k Porthcawl
    July 14th 10k..Ammanford
    July 28th 10k..Tenby
    August 4th Barry Island 10k
    September 22nd 10k Swansea TBC
    September 29th  Dale Pembroke hilly half Marathon TBC
    October 20th 10 mile GSR

Blimey 14 miles for the day that is a long way but glad you refuelled:-)

Alehouse: I don't have any advice or thoughts as not one I have encountered as yet hopefully one of the chaps will have advice for you.

Mick, Ceal,NZC are all missing.

5 miles for me today- I got up to run but was so tired I went back to bed for 2 hours more sleep I felt tired so downgraded run and made 50 miles for the week  .I can go longer next week aiming for 10+ miles as a long run to build on.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave-good mileage there in a few days hope you recover well.

Alehouse-wise choice to run on a more forgiving surface and a decent time as well.

Welshpoppy-that’s some list of races,I need a rest after reading that.

Thanks to all for comments on my 10k time.Went to the club this morning to do a hill session of sorts which was quiet hard.A real easy 10miler tomorrow along the towpath is the plan hopefully.

TS-we are going to White Cross Bay Windermere.
  • Welshpoppy
    that's a big schedule of races!!

Dave
    you are pushing the mileage up again and getting into good refueling habits :)  Big mileage on consecutive days

Alehouse
    that is still a good parkrun time and AG - well done.

That does sound like a weird pain!  As you extend muscles and connective tissue you may be impinging a nerve which sets off the pain - it does sound more neurological rather than muscular?

Ray
    towpath won't be much preparation for the Lakes :)

I have stayed just above White Cross bay at the Holbeck Ghyll Hotel.  There are some nice trails through the woods that cover the hillside just above the lake - needless to say they are not flat!!

I am nearly returned to normal but it has been a really nasty dose of whatever - worst in many years.  I have not donned my running gear as yet, in fact I have scarcely been out as I felt so carp. 
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Hello all, been a bit busy of late.

Welsh Poppy,
    That race schedule will either break you or make you real quick, lets hope its the latter.

Graham,
    Interesting question. I retired in my early 60s so it was a decade of change and adjustment for me. Enjoyable yes and a time to try new things eg drawing, but challenging too. 
    The biggest issue most people have to face is their changing bodies. Having been athletic all my life it was difficult having to accept what use to come easy now was much more difficult. Like TS, when you have been competitive it is difficult to watch runners go by that would not even seen you in a race when you were their age.
    I had a very successful career in hitech and for a council house kid who left school at 16 to win a first and masters in engineering was a huge boost to my self confidence.  Having been a CEO and President for a number of years there really wasn't much more to do so no I have not missed the high life. It had become predictable and boring.

My running is going well , still getting my 5 runs in a week in. Done a couple of 5ks but am still working back to fitness after my shingles, so times were slow. I did get a second place in a 60+ AG as there was no 70+.

TS,
    The weather here has been awful, cold and wet, virtually raining every day. It has severely limited by opportunity to do any speed work. I don't like to do it all bundled up or freezing cold. We have had a lot of heavy flooding so my usual running trails have been all washed out, a real mess. A number of major rivers flow into Ottawa bringing a lot of water from much further north. The combination of spring run off and heavy rains created some spectacular sights.
    The Ottawa is very wide, a kilometre in places, I don't think I have ever seen so much water rushing past.

Mick
    Hello,

I think I need a lie down as well :smiley:

7 miles for Sunday and Monday,Back to 8 miles this morning and feeling a lot better.

Mick: Good to hear from you glad you have been running 5 times a week and well done on Age placing.

Torque : So glad you are feeling better at last :) I hope running gear with be donned soon!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse - good 70% AG parkrunning  ;  can't offer heel advice - sorry . . . .

WP - that's quite a schedule - but 50 mile weeks should stand you in good stead !   

TS - pleased things are looking up - will you be hashing this week ?   

Mick - good consistent running  . . .   

9 miler this afternoon for me

Dave
  • Mick
    good to see you back - not so good to hear about the atrocious weather you are having.  It seems that continental systems are messed up this year as Europe is very variable as well with lots of rain. but a 1K wide river must be a sight to behold
    Very good bagging a second in the 60+ AG results and for still getting 5 runs in a week.

Welshpoppy
    very consistent running. Anything over 6 miles does wonders for endurance build up.

Dave
    more big miles

I did manage to go to the hash on Tuesday evening and I sort of bimbled along on very weak legs. Lovely run through upper Nidderdale which is an AONB on a still and humid evening but no rain.  4 miles  very slow

3.1 miles this morning again very slow as I am still in recovery mode - very warm and raining!!

G'kids yesterday and occupied them by going to Aysgarth Falls in the morning, 
     For those of you that have seen the execrable Robin Hood film with Kevin Costner ( and the altogether brilliant Alan Rickman as the sheriff) it's where Robin fights Little John after a strange journey that takes in the White Cliffs of Dover then Hadrian's Wall then the Falls on a rather strange journey route to Nottingham!!
    We then went on to the Forbidden Garden, a very large garden folly turned into a tourist attraction with all sorts of tunnels, spraying water features, and such like which kept the kids amused and the oldsters wet :)
    Lots of steps and stairs and a big maze to negotiate as well
  • ... and where is Columba?

Ceal has just completed a charity walk with her husband on behalf of the Little People's charity through Northern Spain on the Camino de Santiago trail doing over 70 miles on rough terrain in 6 days in support of her grand daughter.

Must get my backside in gear!!!
    Dave a great distance 9 miles well done.Do you have any races planned? sorry if you have said and I have forgotten :)

Torque: Thank you I do try as I prefer anything over 6 miles :) nice to see you back :) out running no matter what as long as we can run ,fast, slow  it is the getting out!

I loved the information on Robin Hood Prince of thieves!! I love that film and also think Alan Rickman's Sheriff was stand out .My favorite line from the film"I will cut your heart out with a spoon" I am going to have to delve into DVD cupboard to see if we still have the film so I can see if I can spot the landmarks....Not that i have ever been to Nottingham.

Yes Columba is missing....

What an epic adventure for Ceal and husband I bet they had sore feet 70 miles in 6 days and rough terrain!!

I ran 4 miles yesterday it was cold and torrential rain and I felt tired so opted for shorter route.

Today 7.5 miles as I stopped in village to bring home breakfast supplies.I want to make 50 miles again as the norm distance wise.I just wish the fatigue would go away.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see Mick pop in! Hope the weather has improved!

Saw the physio yesterday evening about the heel in particular. Thinking is along similar lines to you, TS in that it may well be nerve related! She suspects that there is a connection with the fracture in my back from last year and was able to bring on the pain by putting the leg in various positions. No pain when running though, and she is happy for me to continue as long as there is none. Some exercises to try and free up the nerves plus she is going to talk to a mutual consultant friend about possible scans of heel, hip and back. 

May figures: 174.48k run, 31 days run, 4 parkruns between 23:26 and 23:52 on two different courses and none run hard. May pin a number on in June but speedwork has been compromised and not where I had hoped to be fitness-wise. Are we ever?
  • Alehouse
    I will send my consultation fee on shortly :)
    I know all about referred neural pain from the back...............
    good news that she says keep on running - like the sound of her!  my Aussie female physio was full of sage advice and comments = "you'r not bad for an ol' git" ; "aw mate, back home we'd shoot yu" ; "it's only pain mate, yu can take it"  and other such pleasantries :)
    Good figures for the month particularly with your impressive parkrun stats- think I may go metric as 172K sounds much greater than 108 miles :)
    Mine was a miserly 69.8 miles which looks better at over 112K

Welshpoppy
    yes good line  :)
    Even in full training I doubt that I could have accommodated his line on the beach about "this evening we will dine in my father's castle"  as, if we follow the landmarks, it would have been over 300 miles from the beach at Dover to Hadrian's Wall, then another 90 miles to Aysgarth Falls and then another 120 miles to Nottingham!!

The Hadrian's Wall bit was filmed at the famous Sycamore Gap https://www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/places-to-visit/hadrians-wall/sycamore-gap/

and of course the tree would not have been there in medieval times!!

Don't push the mileage too hard, too quickly - that way lies overtraining.  Give yourself a cut back week every fourth week, reducing mileage by at least 25%.  That way the body can adjust and recover and become stronger and avoid that over fatigued syndrome.

Another 3.1 miles this morning in 29 mins (9:35m/m). Opened the tap slightly on the second mile (8:45, it was downhill!) and was rewarded by the expelling of lungfuls of gooey, sticky phlegm - too much information :/?
  • just had an email from Adidas about their new trainer - the Alphaedge.  £250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Can you send the bill to my insurance company please, TS? Suspect the fee won't pay for the new Adidas shoes!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Impressive parkrun stats, 4 in a month all under 24 without trying.
    Reduced mileage for me in May due to taper for a couple of races, 140k. I try to hit 160.

Planning another parkrun for next weekend as I am feeling fitter and stronger.
    The course is slow as it is a trail with lots of turns but I want to match last year's time. The tree pollen around here is really this year and it does affect me somewhat, so it could account for why I am a bit off.

Just received a neighbourhood alert, it seems we have a visitor, a black bear is roaming around.

Been busy with my drawing. I have just finished a series of drawings of our holiday villa rentals.
    All of them are not Europe.

They are drawn in coloured pencil.

Mick
    Torque:I had same email and thought what price!!I run in Adidas but have never paid over£80 for my shoes and I want to keep it that way :)

I will look at the link you gave but after my run:-)
    Thanks for reminder about cut back week I had forgotten about that!! next week will be a cut  back week as I have a little 5k Wednesday night.

If I run 8 miles today  that makes my 50 miles for the week.

May stats
    175 miles
    2 rest days due to illness
    2 races.

My best this year although January was also a good month about 3 miles less.

Well done on 3 miles but sorry to hear about gooey mess it sounds like you are still not right?

So who placed order for new shoes..... ;)

Alehouse: Great stats for May:-)

Mick:Black bear blimey we get foxes at times:-) I love your pencil drawings you are very talented!

8 miles for me yesterday as short of time but okay, pace is still off by about 20 secs a mile at the moment .I do want to convert one 8 miler to double figures.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Nice work on the drawing, Mick!

And I can hear Ray shouting C'mon Spurs!

Hope you are now in good health, TS!

parkrun this morning, on one of the slower courses. Perfect conditions though: around 15 degrees, overcast and still. First 800 metres includes a slight rise then quite a steep hill (one I see Eilish McColgan and Michael Rimmer training on as it is the only decent rise for a fair distance). Set off a little further up the field than usual, hoping to run a little quicker than my course best of 23:32. Got a decent rhythm going from 1 to 2.2k but then you are back at the hill again. However by 3k it is slightly downhill or flat and I was able to push on for 22:53. 73.27% age grade not quite up to Ray's standard over his recent 10k but it will do for now. 
    I had agreed to meet up with the new uni girl captain today; almost exactly two years ago I paced her to a pb on a different course, running comfortably in 21:24. today she ran 18:xx! How times change!
    In a couple of weeks I will do an evening 5k and back off for a couple of days beforehand; no doubt I will run more slowly than the 9 a.m. after Friday evening in the alehouse!
    A nice 7 miles this morning for me and less tired which is good mini taper for Wednesday night.

Nice park run Ale and good luck with your planned 5k!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression