Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Mick

you are having too many holidays :)  Good perspectives of your accommodations. An architect rather fancifully said to me that windows are the means of looking into the soul of a building but it is the hardest part as they can look so blank 

.....and it was never a penalty!!!

Alehouse
    well done again - those parkrun times are coming down very nicely.
    'Fraid we have all experienced the graph intersection of the upper swoop of younger runners and the diametrically opposite one of our own performance :(

Welshpoppy
    guess what was one TV last night - Robin Hood PofT :)  Didn't watch it though - too busy at gardening until late on 

I had aborted a run early on yesterday after a couple of miles- nothing there and I knew I had a lot to do gardening wise.
    Feeling well knackered this morning so a rest day - apart from going to the tip to get rid of huge amounts of garden waste!
  • .. re running shoes.  a new email this morning offering Adidas Ultraboost at £79.99 from SportsShoes Direct.

That's a bit more like it but not sure whether I can justify another pair as I may not wear out my current ones at this rate!
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Torque: I thought of you when I saw it was on TV last night .I also did not watch it as we had visitors.
    What have ai said about gardening it is no good to runners, seriously I hope you are back on the road soon.

5 miles for me this morning all was fine seemed strange only 5 miles.

I had same email I run in Boston Boost so not tried Ultraboost but tempted at that price.Especially as I rotate 3 pairs and 2 pairs are on there way out and only have my racing pair and one spare pair.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    At our age it doesn't really help to look back at old times. I wish I had enjoyed my speed more as a youngster as I always seem to think I was too slow yet I could run a 16 min 5k.

TS,
    I find my chores around the garden and house a lot more demanding than going for a hard run.
    I find it really hard to quit a run no matter how I feel so I empathise.  
    There is another drawing to the right of the ones shown in my pic, a place we rented in Santorini. There is a little more detail in the windows if you see the drawings in real life but I would probably do better if I lightened them a bit. 

Thanks for the comments on my artistic efforts but not in the same league as Al an older thread member who use to post his art.

The weather here really sucks, cold windy and heavy rain, forced in indoors today, 5k on the treadmill.

10:12 AM Monday, June 03, 2019
    Treadmill, Felt v strong.

Total Non-moving Time = 0.0 secs
    Run Duration = 30:20,  Run Length = 5.01 Kms or 3.11 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 06:03 per Km or 09:45 per Mile, Age grade =  59.6 %
    Average Run WHR = 74.2 %,  Max Run WHR = 82.2 %

Average Run Cadence = 86.2, Average stride length = 0.96 m

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    #01     06:10     1.0        0.6      06:10      09:55      65.9%     70.4%      86.0       0.94
    #02     06:00     1.0        0.6      06:00      09:39      71.9%     73.3%      87.0       0.96
    #03     06:00     1.0        0.6      06:00      09:39      74.8%     76.3%      86.0       0.97
    #04     06:00     1.0        0.6      06:00      09:39      77.8%     79.3%      86.0       0.97
    #05     05:51     1.0        0.6      05:51      09:25      80.7%     82.2%      86.0       0.99

Mick

• Welshpoppy
    I do find the Ultraboost super comfortable after the initial breaking in - which wasn't really a problem just a matter of getting used to the sock type upper rather than a conventional tongue - it does give a better fit particularly as I have high arched feet

Mick
    you are really suffering with the weather aren't you? At this time of year we are normally reading of your high temperatures and sunny days!  any sign of it changing in the near future?

You did well to run 5K on a treadmill - and very consistent pace too

I remember AWS well - he did a painting of your house for you didn't he?

Last night's hash was approached with a great degree of hesitation as I still felt a bit underpowered and it was absolutely nissing down - streets flooded, standing water everywhere but it was still very mild.
    3 very soggy miles done feeling quite good and then the route was abandoned before the end when in a convenient distance to the pub as all markings were completely washed out.
    A quick change in the pub's loo into dry clothes restored order and some welcome new beers to try.

Went out this morning hoping for better things but the energy levels were right down again so just did a quiet 2 miles on soggy woodland paths.

very emotive watching some of the D Day commemorations this morning and it was good to see the large Canadian contribution getting proper recognition - they sometimes get wrapped up in the British one!

Read a fascinating account of the part played by the weather forecasters - the American one used a predictive type of analysis based upon previous weather patterns and the British one, John Snagg, used real time forecasting based upon weather reports from weather stations and ships in the Atlantic etc.  It was he who urged the postponement from the 5 to 6 June as he forecast gales for the 5th - and he got it right too!!
    Just as well he was listened to although he had earlier been disregarded by the Americans as he was a civilian -that was rectified by giving him a commission in the RAF as a group captain.
    On such small margins are huge outcomes decided.......................

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse-those cheers for spurs lasted all of a few minutes till the penalty.We missed a golden opportunity as Liverpool were dreadful and we were worse.Good park running with the times going in the right direction.

Welshpoppy-good mileage you are maintaining to do.

Mick-excellent artwork you are doing.Good you can maintain your fitness on the treadmill while the weather is bad.

TS-a short course to get in the  pub sounds ideal.Intresting story about the weather forecast,good job Michael Fish wasn’t about.

Well had a really good time in the Lake District despite the weather.Our lodge was right on the edge of lake Windermere which was ideal.Managed a combination of walks and running which I was glad to do.The beautiful architecture and stone buildings and walls are stunning,seemed like all the Chinese tourists loved it as well.

Runs since I got back were a 10 Miller on Sunday.

Last nights track session was 5x800m with 2 mins recovery between reps.The 1st 400m was supposed to be current 5k pace,the next 400m was supposed to be at current mile pace.Found this to be a quiet hard workout.
    3:21/3:23/3:26/3:27/3:31 gradually getting slower.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    WP - no races currently planned - I may try a parkrun soon to obtain a benchmark (if I dare)  . . .     your consistent consistency continues (alliteration unintended) - hope your 5K has gone well this evening  . . .   

alehouse - good(ish) news re your heel; being able to carry on running - nice AG at parkrun  . .   your May total trumps mine - nice round 100 miles for me.  

Mick - love your artwork - I wish I had a modicum of such talent . . .    

TS - think I'll pass on the alphaedge  . . .   fingers x'd your energy returns quickly  . . .

Ray - good track work there ;  nice pacing, esp after 10 on Sunday .    Football - very disappointing for a neutral viewer . . .    

9 miles road/trail today, with "good" amount of hills in there

Dave
  • Ray
    pleased you had a good trip to the Lakes.  weather is always a variable here - it can even be raining in one valley and sun in the next!
    The scenery is a bit different to darn sarth :)
    Hard intervals - particularly when trying to judge effort for each lap but at least you should have been doing negative splits which I guess was the idea.
    Yup - Spurs had a big chance but too many players didn't turn up for the occasion - I'm particularly looking at Ali and Erickson, and the latter seems to be on his way

Dave
    that's a quarter of a £1,000 for a pair of shoes!!! stupidity gone mad.  There is a similar inflation in cycling where everything gets hugely more expensive and improved performance not at all but the MAMIL crowd buy it anyway thinking it is a magic way to improvement

Not sure what "good" amount of hills looks like :)

Lovely bright breezy morning here - still felt marginally carp as I shambled 3 miles in 30 min
    Booked a docs appointment - earliest dates is 2 weeks hence!!

Dave:I hope the Benchmark parkrun goes well for you.But nice miles yesterday :)

Race was disappointing due to communication I was told the start  was one end of prom when I had done 2 mile warm up and just jogging to start with 15 minutes to go.No one there just 2 marshals so I ask and the said it was the turn around spot so I had 10 minutes to run 1.3 miles or go home and sulk.....
    me being me made the decision to try to run to start which I did with 2 minutes to spare.Out of breath and knackered no other word for it! run 5k I knew it would be a slog but I got it done struggled towards end I could feel that empty feeling as if I wanted to be sick. but held it together 26.55. Jogged back to car making 7.5 miles with a speed session in the middle :)
    I would love a good crack at it as a flat course but the club were not good communicating and I felt let down by them , I won't be running the next one.I will concentrate on the 10k's and save my 5k PB for Llandudno next year:-)

Lesson learn choose your races wisely:-)

5 mile recovery run done this morning.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
    Cross post Torque:Sorry you are still under the weather and we have similar waiting time for appointment!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    TS-spot on with Ali&Erickson comment.Not ideal running when not feeling well,hope the doctors appointment is helpful.

Welshpoppy
    That sounds a bit of a of nightmare for sure.Think you ran well under the circumstances.

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave
    Good distance with hills and trails,hope you do a park run.
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Six mile run tonight slightly undulating but not to bad.
    Miles were 8:44/8:23/8:22/8:23/7:55/7:41
    Great work Ray and to finish faster than you started ,a good progressive run.

4 miles this morning I had to remember this is a cut back/recovery week....the torrential rain helped :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    well that's one way to start a race :)!! 
    Not ideal but you still had a nice warm up and a good 5K time

I can recall m,any years ago sitting in my car before the start of a race as it was pouring down and then suddenly realising the at the start was NOW!  Jumped out of the car ran to the start about 1/2 mile away and joined in the back of the field as they set off.
    Ran my fastest 10m road race ever...................

Ray
    that was a very consistent run.  Were they lake District type hills :) ?

Despaired watching England last night :( !  If you are going to play a passing out from the back game then there always has to be someone behind the ball carrier available for a pass - just dreadful.

Managed 4 miles this morning in 39:18 (9:38m/m) but it was very hard work despite only having avHR of 133
    My doc's appointment is only to get all the information ready for a private consultation with an endocrinologist to see if I can get fixed -the NHS waiting time is ridiculous - months away

What a great story Torque and your fastest 10 miler as well :)

I really hope the appointment will help you  and yes crazy waiting time with NHS.

Just ordered the Ultra Boost so hope they bed in well :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - well raced in the circumstances - enjoy your new shoes - I hope they are the "go-faster" variety :)   

Ray - another excellently paced run there - you seem to be in fine shape - any races lined up?  

TS - admirable perseverance - fingers x'd things move speedily with appointment(s)

your race story, (and WP's) remind me of my 10K PB (Bridlington 3/4/1994)  - I arrived with little time to spare, just enough to squeeze into a parking space and sprint to the start.  The one and only time I went sub 35 :)   

have a good weekend, all 

Dave
    Dave: Oh to go sub 35 :) in my dream's

How has training been this week? parkrun today?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave-have a 10k this Thursday in the summer league races,hoping i can get 47:xx this time.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - it was 25 years ago !!   Light training this week (which probably helped today) - blanks Mon, Tues, 9 Wed, 4 fartlek Thurs, rest yesterday, no parkrun, but 16 with my pal this morning - very wet !  marked contrast to 2 weeks ago, when the last 2 miles of my 14 were a "death march". Last miles today , although my legs were tired, I felt much more "on top of things" than on the 14.  

Driving to airport shortly, as I offered to pick daughter & boyfriend up - I probably won't be able to get out of the car :) 

Ray - good target - fingers x'd . . . .

Dave
    Ray : Go well on Thursday we look forward to race report :)

Dave: Ah but you recall it well :) Excellent long run this morning and I am glad it is better than 2 weeks ago.I remember those times after a long run.A good weeks training.

I need to increase my long run past 8 miles so I am hoping this week it will happen.A nice 7.5 miles this more hilly route and finished in village for banana's(I always have one pre run).
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - are you looking to increase your long run with a view to any specific event?  

6 miles this morning (a pal "twisted my arm"), legs a bit sore, but not too bad - so, 35 for the week.  

Dave
    Dave: I have the Great South Run in October which is 10 miler I usually have run a few Half marathon's but nothing this year.I have been looking at schedules in the Faster road racing book by Pfiztger and Latter. I can't do much speed work due to achilles and it all seems a bit difficult.
    I had planned a 4 week schedule for the first 10k but  I think maybe better to put together a 16 week to GSR and use the 10k's as speed work....but very much a work in progress.I am thinking 10 miler, then 12,then 10,12 then try to get a 14 miler in between races.I may leave 14 miler till August.
    Or just wing it as I usually do;-)

Well done on your 6 miler especially after your long run yesterday and great weekly mileage.

I am on 40 miles as a cut back my week start's Sunday-Saturday.
    5 miler this morning was to be 9 miles but I slept in and felt very queasy and not right so down graded it.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave
    Good amount of miles you are doing.

Welshpoppy
    Thanks for the good wishes.I loosely followed the P&D plan up to 55miles a week from there book Advanced Marathoning(which I’m not of course).One of the authors is different in your book but i really liked the plans.Dont be phased by the schedules,just break them down to suit yourself.

Just 8miles for me yesterday,i feel like I’m slacking after Dave runs.
    Ray:
    Thank you for advice I do have that book but did not even look at it as not running a marathon....will look at schedules it may suit me better.

I know what you mean with Dave's epic long run :)

but well done on your 8 miles a mini taper for Wednesday?

I was pleased I just went out and listened to my body and ran 10.25 miles only third one of the year and 30 secs a mile average faster than March.

Off to look at P+D marathon schedules.....
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - good luck with the schedule planning - a shame you're hampered speedwork-wise by your achilles, but I'm sure you'll devise a sound plan.  As you say - 10K's can act as a "session" towards the 10 miler - 3 miles either side of the 10K is a good one.   

Ray - if you are slacking re the long runs, then I'm certainly doing so in comparison to your speed work !!!    

gym today - 5K on treadmill (3 miles for my diary) - followed by a circuit of the various weight machines, finishing with a 15 minute "leg turnover" on the static bike.  

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Dave,
    That sounds like one of my workouts, weather problems?

WP,
    I am not sure how old you are but I have found speed work harder and harder to do as I age. It is not that I do not want to do it, I do, but the cost is always high. Lots of aches and pains, no injuries just general soreness and stiffness.
    I enjoy running in my 70s but it is more of maintaining than trying to run faster.

TS,
    You do seem to be struggling these days, but at least you are getting out and at our age that is one win we can cherish.
    Yes aws did a watercolour of my house in winter, it hangs in my dining room.
    The weather here has at last approached summer, it was 30c yesterday and in the 20s. for my run this morning.

I ran another parkrun last Saturday. The time is a little meaningless as it is a trail run through the woods along side of a beaver pond, very bumpy and slow.
    I ran this same run a couple of weeks ago. I ran it easier just seeing what I had.
    This time I ran full out. This was confirmed by my heart rate profile which the following plot compares with last weekend.

You would think that I would have a much faster time, wrong they were within 1 sec of each other.
    It was a little warmer but not uncomfortable. Please with the effort disappointed with the time.

Mick
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Quick question.
    The following chart shows the cadence for my three 5k runs this season.

As you can see they are all similar and show my cadence dropping off through the run, despite me being aware of that effect and trying not to let it happen.
    Does this happen to anyone else?

Mick
    Dave: Thanks I will add 3 miles either side of 10k's I am going to try a small fartlek type session and see how achilles holds up maybe later part of week.

Good gym session there weather must be bad to hit the treadmill?

Mick: Next month I move to a new  age grouping V55 well here in Wales they seem to be every 10 years, yet in England and North Wales it is every 5 years which seems more fair.
    I hope I am running long into my 70's:-)
    You are more scientific than myself but I looked at cadence for last race 174,172,174,176
    The second mile was slower so explains the drop.

6 mile recovery run this morning 2 hilly miles were slow so think I made right call on distance although rallied for last mile but that is slightly down hill for half a mile;-)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Mick:these are the cadence figures my last three Runs
    Average cadence overall for 6miles179: each mile 176/180/178/179/180/181
    ————————————  8miles 177:————- 178/182/174/177/175/176/179/180/

last nights track session 6x400m the cadence will be higher.
    Each 400m 198/195/195/195/193/194