Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    NZC-Good age grading and times will come down with regular running.

Alehouse-excellent time considering the fracture,sub 22 mins looks likely.

TS-not great for at the moment really hope you get some answers and improvement.

Dave-all the best for the relays.

Graham-hope you enjoy your break and the toon army get a win.

• Morning,

Torque: I really hope you get some answer's for you but not good :(

Dave:Good luck with relay's,is it Sunday?

Graham Have a lovely holiday and I hope some Holiday running.

The weather has been awful I have run in it all gales, rain thunder you name it and even clambering over a huge tree that had fallen down and blocked my path. So as you can imagine they were slow.Today 12 degrees and my favorite temps and i was rewarded with a fast 8 mile run for me and PB for course which see's me climb for 633ft these hills have made me stronger :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - really hope you have encouraging news soon  . . .     

alehouse - excellent 5K in your current circs - well done !  you said "No doubt rain will stop play"  -  I note it didn't need to, as play never started  . . . .   (did you set off ?)   

WP - good fortitude - your reward yesterday was justly deserved 
    :)  

Graham - hope your hol is being enjoyed.  I was in East Mids area, at Newark, yesterday;  my daughter had a good day at the Newark Half marathon, bagging a PB of 1:31:10

I secured 4 miles jogging around, to add to 5 easy on Saturday.  Relays are next Sunday (18th)

Dave
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I did indeed get to cricket, Birch! The moment I stepped out of the house it started pouring. Wet by the time I got the tram and wetter by the time I got to the ground. Into the pavilion and the queue for the bar. Sat around with a friend and then we decided to head back to the tram and thence to the alehouse to watch the first half of the Liverpool game. Looking at the outfield at OT it should have been called off much earlier...and the cynic in me says that with 23 thousand tickets sold the longer that the crowd can be kept in the ground the more sales are made, whether replica kit, burgers or beer.

parkrun last Saturday was a little harder than I intended given that I had raced only 37 hours before! 23:38 was a little more effort than normal.

Consultant yesterday re fracture. Scan reports a slight anomaly so to be on the safe side am going for an isotope bone scan, plus more osteoporosis investigations. 

Decent session this morning with 5.4 miles in 30 minutes, including 3 x 4 mins at sub 5 min miling, with 2 mins recovery at 6 min miling. Bit of cheating going on as I was on the anti-gravitational treadmill at 90% bodyweight. Still a good session!

And well done Miss Birch!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Alehouse
    I nearly missed the bit about the anti gravity and was falling off my chair at your pace when I caught up :)

Well you got to the swimming pool - I think your trip was a triumph of hope over expectation!!

Despite your back you are still dong very well at parkrun after your fine race effort as well

Dave
    excellent run by your daughter - and you in support:-)
    tapering week for the relays?  what distance are you  running?

Welshpoppy
    well done for getting out in the weather we have been having. Falling trees are a hazard one can do without.
    Excellent news on setting a new PB over your 8 mile very hilly route.
    I went out in warm rain on Sunday with just a running vest on recognising I was going to get wet anyway and wet skin is fine when its warm as well - and I wasn't out for long!

Ray
    sorry we couldn't put one over on the Gunners - they were there for the taking. poor game all round
    I had watched the England v Wales rugby first - the contrast in endeavor was manifest!

Graham
    enjoy the EM - hope the weather is a bit better for you.

Thanks for good wishes folks.  It is a bit of a b*gger :/  On the basis that I can free up my hands by vigorously clenching fists for a few minutes I thought I would experiment with short runs and making sure I do knee squat exercises throughout the day to dispel the fluid build up there.  No positive results yet but I managed 4 miles of hilly woodland hashing last evening which hurt all the way but a 2 mile shamble this morning was a bit easier and the knees are less puffy as I Iook at  them now - it's shorts weather unless I am going out!!

Awaiting delivery of a new laptop today complete with Windows 10 upgrade and other bells and whistles - so I may be out of contact for a while whilst I fathom it all out!!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Disappointing to hear that you are now suffering with new symptoms. Do you think you have made any progress since you were diagnosed. I know I would be getting very frustrated. It is good to see that you are fighting back so all the best with the war.

WP,
    The bad weather doesn't seem to be slowing you down any, you would do well in Canadian weather, -30 to +30 c.

Alehouse,
    How come you can run faster than me with a fracture!!!!

My running is still going well despite the heat.
    A good hill session today, 5 miles + around the river.

Mick
  • Mick: I don't think I would, I hate heat so 30 degree heat would kill me and -30 that is cold no wonder you are on the treadmill! Good hill session in the heat well done.

Torque:Not good news, I hope you get answer's so you can get back to running but well done on 4+2 miles :)
    New Laptop and windows 10 blimey you could be gone a while,I hate a new laptop as I had got the old one the way I like things to work and they go and change everything!

Dave: Great job by the young Miss with shiny new PB and good luck on Sunday I am sure you will do well.I have a hilly race that day as well last one.
    Nice miles and I hope tapering is going well :)

I have run 4 miles yesterday and day off day before as feeling ill so that leaves today before I taper as such as not expecting anything with the hills.Next 2 races after are flat and fast so I shall be tapering properly for those races.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well done with the hilly 5, Mick

ditto WP's 4 (hope your poorly feeling has gone away)

pleased to see you've had a couple of jaunts, TS . . .   

good work on the a.g. treadmill, alehouse - I need to locate one of those :) 

not sure I can taper much, from my recent low miles, but just 4 miles fartlek on Monday, blanks Tues & yesterday. Going out for easy 6 soon, then some TV cricket

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well, the intended "easy 6" turned into a 7.5, with 4 or so at "tempo plus" , as I ended up going on a lunchtime club session, which comprises mostly workers , who have a set lunch break, so I had to try and keep up . Still, another excuse in the locker for Sunday :) 

Dave
  • Super speedy session Dave those excuses are building :)

I also ran 4 miles and it was faster than I planned as legs wanted to run fast.Today I want 6+ miles but we shall see how the legs feel when I get out.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave, Welshpoppy
    taper time..................

good running though

Alehouse
    I think we may need some more rainy cricket!!

Mick
    that looks a pretty lumpy run in high temperatures - well done

My improvement from base bad level is marginal. When one considers that I went from a "dahling i never get out of bed for less than 10,000m a day" (apologies to a supermodel for appropriating her quote) to having to stop after 100m  in less than 6 months to now here I can manage 3 -4 miles max on a good day at a much reduced pace I am in a slightly better situation and other side issues such as mental clarity and focus are much improved.
    The latest symptoms are another obstacle I could do without.  the hands I can sort out quite quickly when I get up but the knees are another matter and I need (no pun intended) to ease into getting them to function.

This morning was a case in point - 3 miles done in 29:10 (9:43m/m) But I needed to start very slowly as it was painful!

10:15  126  137
    09:05  132  138
    09:49  142  152

60 m of altitude gain most of it over the last mile so I worked it quite hard and was pretty done in at the end

Two years ago I would have done that in 23 minutes and thought it a short easy run :/!!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Onwards and upwards, TS! I think I would be walking for around ten minutes first, before I start running, just to get the knees in gear. Are you doing any exercises to help, particularly in terms of building up the muscle above the knee?

re rain and cricket, I actually think England need dry weather as they have a chance in this match! Could do without rain here though: was raining just after 6 and still is, so this evening's visit to OT for T20 looks rather unlikely. 
    Got somewhat wet on my run this morning. 

Mick, any parkruns planned (or any other race!)? I shall paddle round one tomorrow morning to accompany a friend who is doing his 250th, timed nicely to coincide with his 70th birthday.

Go well at the weekend, WP and Birch! No excuses...
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    I know exactly how you feel about the lack of speed but it does sound like you have made a lot of progress. I too find that I have to warm up my hands, feet and knees in the morning but I think that comes with being over 70. Come to think of it you are older than me so it must be much worse. Have you turned 73 yet? My 73rd is next month.

Alehouse,
    I nolonger race during July and August as it is just too hot. I will be doing a couple of park runs, a fun run and a larger race in Sept and Oct.

It looks like we have finally sold our house so it is going to be busy around here for a while. We have to find somewhere to rent while we build our retirement home.

Mick
  • Mick: Congrats on selling your home.Did you build it? good luck with finding somewhere to rent and building new home!

Ale:Good luck with weather and park run tomorrow!

Torque:Great advice about walking from Alehouse since my Achilles rupture and come back I walk for 4 minutes before I run and walk back 4 minutes it means instead of starting from home it is 4 mins walk away and seem to help me.It is hard getting older  :'(

6 miles this morning so taper time just 3-4 miles tomorrow at least the temps are cooler than all my other races.I even bought one of those soft pouch water thing's holds 250ml water and folds up small to trial but don't think I need it instead of wasting time at water station drinking from a cup!mind you not tested trying to run with it either!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    I usually spin for 5 mins followed by dynamic stretches before most of my runs. It seems to keep the injuries away.
    Even with the heat here I only carry water if my run is going to be longer that an hour, I find anything less than that no problem. I do take an electrolyte replacement immediately after my run.
    No we did not build our current house but did buy it from the builder who have nearly completed it for his son who decided not to get married after all.
    We finished it and have been here 25 years.

As you can see it is kind of rambling and too big for the two of us.
    Mick
  • Mick: It looks magnificent but can understand it maybe too big for just the two of you.
    I never carry water in training ever or stop at water station usually, but because of the heat I have been so that is why i thought of the soft gel water pouch I bet I never use it.

Dave: Good luck today :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick
    show some respect to your elders :)
    I am much older than you - bin 73 since March!

Good news that your house sale is finally going through. are you staying in the same locality or moving somewhere new?
    The troubled with downsizing is that you have to find somewhere to put all the stuff accumulated in the larger house

Wonder how our racers got on today  - it has been pleasant here but rather windy 

I do have a warm up routine before going outside - it starts with knee squats whilst cleaning teeth and then several circuits of the stairs, all 32 of them, including taking Mrs TS a cup of tea in bed. I then start off at near walking pace, really a shuffle, and slowly build up. The fact that the first half mile is uphill prevents me going off too fast anyway!!

same 3 miles this morning as Friday 29:35 (9:50m/m) with av HR 132 and a max of 156

10:09  126  137
    09:24  129  134
    10:01  144  150

so not too different apart from not pushing the third mile
  • Torque I am so glad you are still out trying no matter what.I think we have similar terrain although I climb for a mile.

No race for me I felt awful headache, nausea and tiredness so said to myself was I up to my 6 hilly miles at home nope, so as race climbed similar distance maybe more decided to stay home.I did get pursuaded by Mr WP to go for a walk to blow the cobwebs away.

Dave: It is over to you.....
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    TS - good to hear you got out yesterday  . . .    

WP - thanks for the good wishes - I received them after I returned :)     a shame you couldn't race  . . .   

well, my race was , as expected, hell (!)  , not having "tried as hard as I can" for such a long time.  The course was a 1K loop, followed by a 3K out and back, concluding with the opening loop to the handover. I went 2nd (teams of 3),  telling myself not to start too quickly, but leaving the opening loop I was already blowing hard !!   the out and back section was quite exposed, into a headwind out, but respite on the way back (no respite from the horrible effort of trying to push as hard as I could) , then back onto the final loop (which seemed to go on for ever), handing over to my mate. I had lost 2 places. Laid prone on the grass for 5 minutes, regaining some breath, then able to cheer on the other competitors . . .   
    My V60 team (which contained myself who is nearly 65, and a V70), were 8th from 12.  No times yet, although the team placings are all on the results, so I await to see the sobering news (I didn't set my watch).   
    A good day for my club, though, as we secured 1st in the F55 & F65 categories,  2nd in the F35,  and 3rd in M35. 
    Despite the torture of the actual running bit :)  , it was good to be back participating , and to be part of a club event once more.   Legs sore this morn, but will do something later . . .      

Dave
  • Welshpoppy
    good decision with those symptoms - hope you soon recover

yes I am trying - very trying :)

Alehouse
    good finish to the Test  - just as well they hadn't played for 5 days on that pitch!!

Mick
    i can't remember whether I posted this before but I was reminded of it when  I had an email from friends currently in BC.

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the British Columbia Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-of-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear faeces and grizzly bear faeces.

Black bear faeces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear shit has bells in it and smells like pepper

:) 

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    That sound a really tough effort, do you have a hr profile you could post?

WP,
    A good call, I am sure it is better to rest than push yourself hard when you are not well.

TS,
    Had to laugh. Bears are common around here but not grizzlies.
    A black bear in the wild is a lot different from a bear in the zoo. They are a mass of muscle and can move really fast, not to be messed with.
    We nolonger put up bird feeders, they attract bears. I watched a young male bear rip ours down and then take off the lids and chug back the contents.
    We own a two acre lot in a small town on the Rideau river and plan to build a retirement home, MrsMick6 is suitably excited. No idea what we will do with all our accumulated stuff.
    The buyers of our house are a young couple who want to buy some of our contents. They are taking my gym as is and my lawn tractor and trailer which helps.

Very humid today even though it is early. I hoping I can run outside but the forecast is for a humidex of 36c so not good.
    Mick

Mick
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Hello all. Good to find you still here after my long absence. I have not read all the way back, just the last few posts (I particularly appreciated the final sentence in TS's 9.26 a.m. post).
    Congratulations on selling your house, Mick. Downsizing is a wonderful opportunity for decluttering. ;)
    No races to report, unless you count parkruns; I am doing these most weeks, now that there is one only 6 miles from home.
    I always walk for several minutes (5 or 6) before breaking into a sedate trot. With parkruns, this means round and round the car park a few times.
  • Hello Columba
    welcome back - and parkruns certainly do count and good news that you not have a run only 6 miles away to attend.
    if they start rewilding Wales you may find the bear advice useful :)

Mick
    my friends in BC had an "interesting" encounter with a black bear. He had got out of he car to take some photos of a view leaving his wife in the car. When he turned round to go back he found that a bear had ambled across the ground between him and the car and was sniffing around the car.  Fortunately it wandered off and he was able to get back in.
    I thought he would appreciate the advice :)
    a 2 acre plot is still a good size to look after particularly if you are leaving your tractor and trailer behind. Will you be building a timber frame house on the new plot?  Warning - wives make very poor building clients - and they can make you very poor in the process!!!

dave
    we must have cross posted as I missed your race report.  It sounds like you took it to the limit and that is all you team mates can ask of you
    hope the legs are recovering today but they are often worse on the second day.

day off for  me yesterday as I took the two youngest g'kids out for the day and managed to avoid any rain!!

hash tonight - I will see how it goes...........
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Columba,
    A sedate trot, sounds very refined, mine is more of a old man's shuffle.

TS,
    All builds here are with a timber frame for all the obvious reasons. We have set a good budget so she has lots of room to play. The current thought is a 2300 sq ft bungalow with a walk out basement. The basement will be for a studio, snooker table, treadmill etc so I will have somewhere to play.
    A new tractor is in the budget as the old one already had 25 years on the clock.

A better running day today although it is raining. Meeting up with three friends for a 8k along the trails. I am the only 70+ so it is usually a hard workout for me.

Mick
  • Mick

a good deal getting your new tractor and basement space as part of the new house. Just remember the secret contingencies!
    I vaguely remember Rideau from my economic geography.  Was there a canal there before railways?

A rainy day for you - it will make a change.  sounds a hard workout :)

Quite a hard run last night over 4 miles and I topped out at 163 bpm whilst responding to a challenge from a much younger newcomer - regretted it later  :/

very easy 2 miles this morning in very pleasant warm conditions
  • A run monday+. Tuesday but nothing today just feeling ill . Let's hope tomorrow is a better day.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Mick - no data I'm afraid - I'm pretty low-tech !  Hope the trail was enjoyable  . . .   

Columba - walking as a (pre-warmup) warmup is a good routine  . . .    

TS - you were correct - legs sore yesterday, so 2 days off, steady 7 today.  Your hash effort sounds encouraging . . .   

WP - fingers crossed you are ok for tomorrow  . . .     

finally - look away now, everyone - the "comeback" evidence . . .

Image may contain 4 people shoes outdoor and nature
    Dave
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Columba,nice to hear from you.

Welshpoppy,well done on double days running,hope you feel a bit better.

Mick,good news on selling the house and your running is going well.

Dave,well done for getting the relays done,you seemed to have your all.

Had visitors for a few days so far to much Doom Bar and no running.
  • Ray
    that sounds a tough option - Doom Bar :)

Dave
    great action shot - and there is nothing between you and the other team going out

Welshpoppy
    hope you are feeling better today. Nothing worse than being ill during summer!

Went out in warm pouring rain this morning. of course it stopped after half a mile so I took my rainjacket off and it started again a mile later on!!  didn't bother to put it back on as it was my now usual 3 miles in 29:55 with avHR of 130 and a max of 151 on the hill home
  • that's unusual - nothing inbetween!

Warm and muggy here this morning - I suspect the ball will be seaming in the air rather than off the pitch at Headingley today which may make it "interesting" for English batsmen after having very favourable conditions to bowl in yesterday

sunny and muggy for me as I did my usual 3 miles in 29:10 (9:39m/m) with avHR 134 and a max of 149
     10:04  126  138
     08:53  134  143
     09:59  144  149

Two "notable" achievements - a sub 9 m/m downhill! and a sub 10 m/m uphill - if only just!!