Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    TS,good to get the run done early in decent weather,two good achievements as well.Notice England have lost two early wickets.

Last nights run with the club was a 7.81 miles,average pace 9:12min/mi.
    This was probably the last of the off road jaunts as the nights are sadly drawing in.
  • ray
    that's the trouble with living down south - earlier nights. Still a very good effort last night. Must have been all the carbo loading on Doom Bar

I shouldn't have said anything about the cricket.................................
  • Ooh busy boys on the thread :) I

Dave looking good in club vest :)

Torque some good runs :)

Yesterday a 4 miler and 3.5 miles 2.5 hour's apart.6 miles today but an awful run legs like lead sheet grit got me through as wanted to come home after a mile.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nice running, TS, Ray, WP - those "gritted out" runs very satisfying, WP - well done . . .

this talk of Doom Bar brings satisfaction to mind, too - though in today's temperature, the "Staropramens" in my fridge may tempt me later, as I watch the - yes - cricket . . .   

followed up my "return" to harder action last week with parkrun today - 7.5 warmup, 2 warmdown, with a sobering 25 mins and a bit effort inbetween . . .   my final "hard effort" as a V60-64 . . .    but at least I now have a marker to work from  . .    

Dave  
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave,good effort today,a nice total of miles.Enjoy your beer.

10x1minute hill reps this morning for me.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Mick - I bet your Old Man's Shuffle is faster than my Sedate Trot.
    Succeeded in beating the only other woman in my category at parkrun this morning.
    Well done on the grit, WP!
  • Dave: decent comeback to hard work that is a lot of miles sandwiched between parkrun :)

Ray: Great session on the hill reps

Columba: Great work on beating your rival at parkrun.

Yesterday 6.6 miles at a better pace early to beat the heat.I will do similar today as too warm to go to Aberafan(always 3 degrees warmer)Aberafan will wait till Wednesday or Friday.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nice work with the hill session, Ray - they are tough  . . .  

Columba - well done on 1st place !  

WP - did you do today's run ?    it was exceptionally hot , even at 10am when

I managed 6.5 , to end the week with 30 miles.   

Dave
  • dave

you did well to get 6 in - I managed only 4 and that was a complete struggle from beginning to end. In fact I had a little walk just after 2 miles as the heat and humidity got to me.

After yesterday's thrashing of Ireland by a rampant England team I carried some slight hope over into the Ashes today but as the wickets fell in the afternoon it began to ebb away until that remarkable, magnificent last wicket partnership between Stokes and Leech - and that must be the most valuable 1 not out ever scored by anyone at any time ever!! it was so tense I had to get up and walk around half hiding behind the door!!

And then the Toon go and beat Spurs to round off a perfect sporting weekend ( sorry Ray and Mick :) )

Sport eh.............................. don't you just love it :):):)
  • Dave: Great mileage and especially in the heat.I think you pipped me to the post will check 29.90 :)Well done!

I did get out to run 6.6 at 6am and the heat and humidity was tough then I had a slow run but just happy to get miles in.

I take my hat off to you and Torque getting out in a warmer weather :)

Torque:It was hot so you did well with 4 miles :)
    I see so you were hiding behind door peeping out at the Cricket?

I watched the Athletics all the drama of those that got a ticket Doha and those whom missed out eagerly looking for races before cut of of next weekend.

Just having coffee to wake me up before getting out in the cool hopefully!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave,good run in the heat.

TS,a most deserved win for Newcastle.The heat was tough to run in you did well.

Welshpoppy,hope your run was cool enough and didn’t suffer to much.

Run yesterday in the heat and it was hard going especially after hill reps the day before.Managed 10miles @9:17 pace but took me all day to recover.
  • Ray

that was on 'ell of a run in the heat of the day - i would still be sweating  now!!

Something seems up with Spurs - when the manager admits they are not a team it's up t him to fix it!!

slipped out earlier this morning but it was still hot. Opted for a run through the Pinewoods and it was pleasantly cool until I emerged into full sun - oven door time!!  it also meant I ran an extra 12m of altitude in the first mile but it was worth it for the coolth.  3 miles done leisurely.

Welshpoppy
    I used to be an avid athletics watcher but nowadays I am never sure what it is I am watching so it has taken the edge off.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well done all, with the hot running !  

6 easy pace this morn, "pretty warm" , rather than "hot"  :) 

Dave
  • 6.6 miles for yesterday but had to give myself a talking to at 2.45 miles as I wanted to stop as fatigued it was the heat and the talk worked  as I finished my run.
    Today back to hills and 7.15 miles and it felt less hot more warm like Dave's run :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    can't beat talking to yourself :)
    Two good days running despite weather

Dave
    good going as well in "warm" climes

Well I had a seemingly easy jog to the venue last night for the Hash - it was only 0.75 miles away going uphill - but by  the time I got there I was covered in sweat - it seemed as though a thunderstorm was going to break and the humidity was really high but is stayed dry, even if I didn't, as I slowly ran a further 4 miles over largely hilly and wooded terrain including passing my house!! Nearly called for a beer stop there..............

away at 0600 this morning so no run day today - just got back from a very wet Lancashire!!

• Torque: Well done on Hash last night and great work passing house but not stopping :)

A double day for me 4 miles in the rain hilly course from home then 2.5hours after I finished a 34 miles run at Aberafan which is flat around 31m elevation.9.40 average pace and checked this is the fastest I have run the course so room for improvement :)again it was wet;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great miles over the last few days, WP (although I presume your second run yesterday was 3.4 rather than 34)  ;)   :)    

TS - good hashing - and a "discipline test" passed by not baling out at your house :) 

well, my new age category commences today - I'll try to convince myself that V65 has a certain "je ne sais quoi"  to it   :)   

Dave
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, Birch! And enjoy the new age group!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Dave.
  • Happy Birthday Dave :)

You are sort of right it was 4 miles at Aberafan not 34...LOL

6 miles this morning and HRM had hissy fit I was running at an average HR of 198! considering my max is 173 I don't think so... :) good job I trust my run too feel monitor:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Dave and all the best in your new age category.
  • Dave

happy birthday - make the most of that new milestone and set some AG results sharpish!

I can tell you the first pint tasted particularly good when we got back to the pub - and the ones after weren't too bad either particularly as I was walking home afterwards :)

Welshpoppy
    well done on speedy course run - nice to see the times  come down

3 miles today in windy, warm conditions. Suddenly looks like autumn out there with lots of leaves being blown off the trees.
    I too am beginning to feel that I am in the autumn of my years.............
  • ..........and another 3 miles in 30 mins in warm, windy conditions again this morning

Looks to be about the limit of my ambitions just now!
  • 3 miles is 3 miles Torque :) better than no miles.

6 miles for me this morning but legs like running through treacle but 6 miles in the bag.I think this week with be highest mileage in 4 weeks and first in 3 weeks without a day or even 2 day's off sick. 
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks for the well wishes, folks

a touch of "sweet melancholy", TS, to go with your 3 milers :) 

good mileage from you, WP, and good perseverance to overcome the "treacle" . . . 

similar for me on yesterday's 4 (though tried to shake the legs up with a few "strideouts" in the final mile.  Legs much better this morning - 8 miles bagged.   

Dave
  • Great you over came the treacle yesterday and  bagged a good 8 miles today :)

I also ran 8 miles this morning but the treacle was still around to wade through oh well it will come good again. 48 miles for the week.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    Consistent running, always good.

Dave,
    Belated birthday greetings.

Graham,
    Hows the running going?

I had to take a few days off as I had a skin thing removed from under my right arm that required 4 stitches. It did not like me running as it seemed to pull on the stitches.
    Back to normal now so an enjoyable 11k with friends this morning in great conditions.
    I can see you are all experiencing my normal summer conditions, sure slows you down.
    I have booked my flights to the uk for November to visit with my sisters and their families. I hope to get in a local park run and a visit to White Hart Lane.

Mick
  • I think you will find White Hart Lane has changed a little, Mick! Good to hear that you are back to normal, and wish I could manage 11k!

Keep those 3 milers going, TS!

Since my last back update (fractured sacrum, July 20th) have had a host of issues! 
    The MRI scan revealed that the sacrum had been fractured, but also found another area that needed further investigation and had a nuclear radiation isotope bone scan. This was not fun! Had radioactive dye injected and then had to sit around drinking lots of water for three hours before around an hour and a half in the scanner!
    Got the results a week later and the issue from the original scan was not an issue at all; however a further area of the spine needed further investigation so I had to go for an x-ray. 
    Results a few days later revealed that the problem area was just some residual bruising, probably from being knocked over. So all good on that front. And am allowed to run...
    However...one of my hamstrings has been playing up and the consultant believes that because of the damage to the sacrum my glutes haven't been firing properly and this has had an impact on the hamstring. Have been managing a couple of kms a day but that is becoming more and more of a struggle. Physio on Tuesday!
    Had planned that August would be a big month training-wise: the opposite has been the case. Can't even manage to jog around a parkrun! Too far!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehouse
    bloomin' 'eck that is a fair catalogue of investigations and remedials!
    Lower back issues tend to manifest themselves in other areas as well as I found out after by back operation and restoring glutes to proper function was one of them - along with numerous other issues.

hope September turns out better for you

Mick
    let me know when you are in town as i will see if I can fix up a meeting in London so that we can have a meet up

Dave
    not so much sweet melancholy - just melancholy!!

Welshpoppy
    good going despite the treacle legs :) Very good weekly mileage

perfect running conditions this morning - sunny and breezy so I pushed up to  a remarkable, for me, 4.15 miles in 40:51 (9:54m/m) keeping my avHR to 132 and a max of 143 - still knackered at the end!!

• another perfect morning if a bit breezier - apart from the farmer spraying the fields opposite with fresh muck - that opened the lungs a bit!!!

back t the 3 miles again in 29:50 (9:54m/m) with avHR 132 and a max of 141 so basically the same as yesterday though the legs didin't like it.
    Slightly dispiriting to be passed by a young girl running to the bus stop with a big handbag in one hand and a large filled carrier bag in the other :(