Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I did the Gibside park run yesterday in 27:55. Not too bad after very little running for a month quite recently and quite a hard week behind me.

I got involved in a race with an F60 to 65 lady and we were neck and neck most of the run. She had a better kick than me though and came from behind to win on the line.

Nice coffee and buttered scone sitting outside the cafe after.

One strange thing, my foot's not too bad at the minute but it tightened about 500 yards from the finish after being fine up to then. That's happened exactly the same a number of times in this parkrun and I can't help thinking my mind's sending some sort of signal to my body which causes it to happen. Annoying!

25.6 miles for the week.
  • Dave
    sounded like a pleasant stroll - apart for the distance :)
    Good finish to the cricket  - Broad has been outstanding for England - and not many others have been consistently on their game.

Welshpoppy
    Big mileage -well done. Taper well :)

Graham
    There isn't a hole in the ground at that point is there?
    nice place to sit and have coffee and scone after a hard fought battle - and a good time over a hilly course.

i won't have to go very far to watch the races as they literally pass my house on an "interesting" hill and on the elite women and men's race they pass 5 and 7 times respectively. We are planning to have a bit of a party with food and drinks and occupy the grass verge outside our house for the duration - weather permitting. One can either get grumpy about the disruption or embrace the occasion so it's the latter!!

4 and a bit yesterday and followed by a hard days gardening transporting topsoil and digging over. Thought I would suffer this morning but actually flowed a bit better over 3.1 miles in 28:58 (9:32m/m) - bit of slight hyperbole there :)

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Graham - decent return to running, after your minimal month  . . .   

TS - I like the idea of "flowing along" - however, a glance at my reflection in a shop window, as I pass, disavows me of any such notions  . . .    

10.5 miles yesterday, which felt reasonable leg-wise - the slower pace on Saturday clearly minimised the impact .  .    

20 mins spin on static bike & a few upper body weight machines today . . 

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
     . . .  and 6 miles fartlek with pal this morn, breakfast at his to refuel :)
  • That sounds good Dave:-)

Tapering going as well as possible ;)Off to Aberafan today for a faster run. I managed to knock 15 secs a mile on Sunday.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave
    LOL at the shop window - I avoid them!!
    6 miles fartlek is good going indeed - you deserved breakfast after :)

Welshpoppy
    not too much now - short and fast to get the HR up 

Last night was 4 briskish miles over very familiar terrain - most of it on bits I run every day but in a different direction  which was quite a change
    Trotted along to the newly relaid footpath this morning to see if it was suitable for intervals.  Turns out it is only 0.23 miles long before it drops very steeply and it has a fall of 6m in its length as well.
    Anyway, as no one was looking, I decided to run a couple so see how I felt - you can tell the downhill ones

1:44   8:43m/m pace measuring it out
    1:55   8:40m/m pace adding on a bit of distance back up the hill
    1:36   7:02m/m pace
    1:55   8:33m/m pace
    1:33   7:00m/m pace

Mildly encouraged by that as I didn't push too hard - maxHR was only 145 on the uphill bits but of course it shows my lack of stamina when it comes to uphill bits!

• Torque: WOW look at those speeds :)

Yesterday 4 miles fast at Aberafan and knocked another 21 secs per mile off and HR was high very nearly at race HR.
    8.52....for 0.11

av hr 83%
    max hr 91%

I could feel  the last 0.25 the lactic acid boy it was tough.But also pleased Achilles was fine.

Garmin told me I needed 46 hours to recover....LOL
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy

very good running indeed.  Looks like Garmin is right in terms of recovery which will bring you nicely to your race.  You can't get any faster now - but you can get slower if you overdo it

.....but look at the distances I covered!!!  I used to be a sprinter :)
    My difficulty will be in transferring that speed to any meaningful distance. Even the 38 yards under 440 I was running was a blessed relief especially on the uphill bits

Sitting in the warm autumn sunshine in London typing this so it's a no run day today
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    looking good, WP . . .    

still a decent workout, TS , and , as you say, not at "full beans" either  . . .  

warm sunshine here too, so very pleasant for an easy paced 7 miler with a pal  

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    5 miles easy today, after spectating at Sheff 10K  -  very low-key week completed - 18 miles over 3 runs.  

WP ?  

Dave
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Well done on your run Dave 18 miles is low key for you no long run with buddy?

I have run 40 miles this week my week finishes on a Saturday.

Today Swansea 10k which had torrential rain and wind but only rain for my warm up mile then 15 minutes before start the rain stopped but we still had a head wind.I accidently lined up in the sub 45 group at the back.I just put my head down and got the miles done watching out for the nutters who could trip you up honestly he wasted so much energy doing that.Every mile that beeped I was okay with the time but I was a few minutes slower each mile got to 4 miles maybe 4.5 and it was hurting my legs running through treacle 2 little incline seemed to be worse than they were and finally 400 m to go time to really try hard then at 100m to go some nutter a big fat man tried to squeeze in a gap between me and another runner I almost fell over but just shook my head and glad to finish in one piece.

54.54 a PB for course post Achilles which goes back to 2016
    Av pace 8.48 I had hoped for 8.45 so not too far away.

1113 out of 3521 runners
    245th women out of 1727
    22 old gal out of 165

8.25...for 0.24

Fastest 10k this year but first flat and fast course and cooler weather although 17 degrees.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Well done, WP! Get those longer runs in for GSR!

Others seem to be ticking over quite well!

Not much to report here apart from I had to stop running on September 8th and haven't run since apart from twice on the anti-gravitational treadmill, and even on that at 85% bodyweight I had to back off as the hamstring wasn't happy. However think I am getting closer and as it is over a week since my last a-g run I will give it another go in the next couple of days. Have been in the uni's fitness suite most days and have been fairly diligent with the glute strengthening exercises. Hope to have something more positive to report soon!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - excellent !!  year's quickest 10K - well done, despite the "treacle", and the attentions of the , ahem, larger gentleman :) 

alehouse - hope this week's a-g session is encouraging . . . .   

as an aside - in yesterday's Sheffield 10K , my friend (running for only 18 months), broke the hour for the first time;  she was thrilled with her 57:45  -   was great to see the delight :) 

Dave
  • TS, 7 minute mile pace over any distance isn't to be sneezed at. It must have felt good.

Dave, a low mileage week for you but no harm in that now and again. Nice for your friend in the 10k.

Welshpoppy, very good race there and well done for best of year and not being far short of your target pace. Keep it up.

Alehouse, frustrating not to be running but it sounds like there are grounds for hope very soon and you've been keeping the fitness up in the gym.

I did the new Leazes parkrun on Saturday. I'm not usually keen on 3 laps but it's a lovely course. My time was about what I was expecting, 26:20. It's not completely flat, with a slight hill towards the end of each lap.

So that's two parkruns now right in Newcastle and apparently there aren't two anywhere in the world nearer each other, apart from a couple that are closer as the crow flies but separated by a river.

Nothing from Ray for a while. Hope all's well.
  • Well done Welsh Poppy - I was down to do a 10km in Sydney but had to cancel.

I'm still doing Parkrun - 28.35 AG 75.39% Cornwall Parkrun last Saturday. I start out o'kay but nothing left on the 3rd lap - no endurance. I have to run a bit during the week.

Graham - glad to hear your foot isn't playing up too much these days.

Birch - still doing good mileage - do you have a race coming up?

Torque Steer - sneaky speedwork!

Alehouse - hope you get sorted quickly.
  • I forgot to mention - big news, I've entered Paris marathon next year - I better do something more than dog walking! At least get up to the 10km distance!

• NZC: That is big news on your Paris Marathon :)

Birch: What a great time for your friend well done!!

Graham well done on Park run:-)  Ray was moving house I think?

Ale: I hope you are back out running soon!!

I ran 8 miles yesterday legs moaned all night and achilles was the most painful but Iput compression socks on for 2 hours after getting up and amazed I could run as far.

Today time poor and hope for the same looking at Thursday or Friday for longer run.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Interesting news, NZC! If I am in Paris on 5th April next year I will give you a shout! 

WP: be careful with running too hard/much after the 10k! I have found with age that I need quite a few very very easy days to recover!

So today I managed to get on the a-g treadmill. 4.5 miles at various paces, with most at 85% bodyweight, around a mile at 90%. Hamstring better but definitely not quite right as I could feel it slightly throughout. Stretching and rollering to follow. Will see how it responds over the next 24 hours or so.

Interesting and unprecedented day in the courts/politics, whatever one's views! 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    excellent age grade, NZC - I'm currently trying to edge back to 70% . . .  
     . .   exciting news re Paris !!    

Graham - good parkrunning (better than the Magpies v Brighton game )  ;)   

WP - look after those legs, esp after Sunday's efforts  . . .   

alehouse - "enjoy" the rehab - and yes, we live in interesting times  . . . 

a very soggy , steady six miles this morning - was like running in a power shower . . .   

Dave
    edited September 2019
    Ale and Dave: Wise  men indeed, I went out to run this morning and hamstring said ouch and I could not run on it so home I come,  change into compression tights longer mac and walked 6 miles did run last mile downhill/flatish very gently.
    So I have stretched, foam roller and applied the stick to iron out the kinks.

I think I thought I would recover fast and not take into account my age I think I am still in my 40's :)

Another thought the race runs on prom for 3 miles and I never run on it due to camber everytime I get injured usually knee's.....stayed away since 2016 and been injury free.

Very soggy here as well cars stranded along with buses, roads flooded and I waded through flooding on pavement up to my knee's.

Yes indeed interesting times!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - hope your legs have freshened up . . . 

mine are a bit tired now - friends needing longer run company meant 13.25 yesterday, and 10.5 today, so best part of 30 miles in the last 3 days  . . .   

Dave 
    edited September 2019
    Dave Sound like your legs are liking these longer runs well doneI hope you recover well?

I ran 4 miles yesterday at Aberafan on flat,I  shortened strideand  easy pace  and all was okay.So today less hilly route 5.25 miles I could feel hamstring on the 2 up hill miles to home but just a back ground we are not too happy moan.So will keep it easy and this route for a few days and fingers crossed I can get back to hilly next week and get those 10+ miles in 3 weeks Sunday for GSR...eeek Going to stay on IOW arrive Friday go home Tuesday and get land train and hovercraft on Sunday to race.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    quiet here . . . .    

WP - leg improved?  

rest day yesterday (36 miles last week),  5 x 800m at damp, cold track tonight (7 miles total with warmup/down) 

Dave
  • Very quiet indeed

Dave:well done on session and miles.

I ran 40 miles last week.Leg is so much better I am thinking of 10 miles today,8 miles yesterday in weather fit for ducks it was awful poor visability but I just kept going mind you I had a long soak in hot bath to get warm.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • One or two here with injury niggles. I hope they're on the mend. Also some good miles being put in by some.

NZChristine, still putting in great AG parkruns I see. Well done. Nice one for entering Paris. Just getting there sounds like a marathon in itself!

It was the first cross-country of the season on Saturday, which corresponded with a window of sunny weather for a change. Two laps of 1.85 miles each, with two hills on each lap steep enough for some to walk them. So not easy.

I finished in 36:30 at an average pace of 9:49. I enjoyed the race but can't deny it's very slow. I made the mistake of looking at my diary for the last time I ran the course, two years ago. The time was 5 minutes quicker in 2017  and I noted then that was a disappointment! On the plus side, I'm free of injury at the minute, apart from the foot, and running and racing is still enjoyable.

Some dire performances from Newcastle recently. Dave, you can have Bruce back any time. It's not all down to him but the players seem lost.
  • Hi everyone

apologies for absence - some things have got in the way - of which more later.

Welshpoppy
    well done, good race well executed and in the top 25% of age grading so you showed 'em :)
    your legs will take a while to recover from that pace so take it easy until they do - you will get stronger for giving them an easy time for a week or so

Dave
    still good miles despite the sogginess!

Alehouse
    anti gravity running seems the way to go! Could be a bit troublesome to get it outside though.
    we do live in interesting times...................

Graham
    well done on parkrun and xcountry - you know my views on the latter!
    had the misfortune to see the Brighton game....................

NZC
    nice to see you have entered a local marathon!!  Are you coming over just for the race or are you planning a longer vacation?
    you certainly manage to keep those AG results up despite not running much, well done indeed.

I think my last posting was form sunny London. I had forgotten my phone, left it in the car charging at the station!  When I remembered it the next day it was full of missed calls from unrecognised mobile numbers and voicemail. When I listened to them I discovered that one of my oldest friends from the Hash had collapsed in the street after we had parted and had been rushed to hospital with a heart attack.
    His wife was frantically trying to contact to try and ascertain what had happened before the attack. I dashed off to the hospital and fortunately arrived just as the cardiac consultant was doing his examination and was able to give him all the background and to download his Garmin which clearly showed the point of it.
    He had complained about an indigestion pain while we were sitting talking but otherwise had seemed perfectly well.
    Fortunately someone had called an ambulance for him almost immediately when they saw him fall down unconscious and the crew had arrived very promptly and administered CPR  so his brain had not been deprived of oxygen for too long. However his short term memory was completely wiped out.
    His wife is not great in a crisis, and she knows it, so she asked me to help out with doctors asking the right questions etc which I was happy to do over the next few days.
    Ultimately they determined that the attack had been triggered by a blocked artery and he was operated on to insert a stent which has greatly improved him. In fact he was discharged the next day after the operation and is now home.
    Talk about a shock.................
  • TS, so pleased your friend is now fine. As you may remember I was at the track a couple of years ago when a friend collapsed in similar circumstances, and later received the same treatment. He's been back to normal running for some time now. Your friend's wife must really have appreciated your help. As you say, it's a shock.
  • Other things

UCI World Cycling Championships in town. 
    Absolutely brilliant to be able to walk to the bottom of the drive and watch the world's best go by.
    Sunday's race was pure attrition was the rain was biblical. Fortunately I was well prepared with two large gazebos on the grass verge at the roadside as we had over 40 people coming.  Plenty of refreshments, mainly liquid, kept everyone enthused and we had a prime spot to watch the drama unfold.
    I took a certain grim satisfaction of watching the world's best cyclists slowly come apart on the hill that I run every day although in fairness they had to do it 9 times!!  Brutally hard racing but brilliant atmosphere on what was christened on the TV the Oakdale Bank - only a 12% incline but after a double left hand bridge bend took all their speed off

I have done some running of a sort and celebrated DAS gold medal by doing some intervals again this morning  :)

same unusual distance of 0.23 miles down then up slight incline

1:31 (6:52m/m) 126  142
    1:48 (7:55m/m) 133  149
    1:28 (6:26m/m) 130  148
    1:50 (8:08m/m) 130  148
    1:28 (6:26m/m) 130  150

Managed to pace them a bit better under the watchful gaze of numerous dog walkers - the uphill ones do cause me grief though!
    For real nerds (that's you Mick :) )  my strides/min increased to an average of 193 with a max of 201 on the last one so I certainly wasn't overstriding !

Just watched KJT do very well in the long jump - looks like it will be all down to the javelin between her and Thiem later this evening but KJT has a big lead and her 800m is a lot better than Thiem's
  • Graham

xpost earlier

yes I remember that incident well. You were even closer to the incident than I was - it was the feeling of guilt when I found out what had happened  - why didn't I notice any symptoms, had I run too hard with him (unlikely I know!!), why did I leave my phone behind etc? 
    So being able to do something at least assuaged that feeling a bit............

KJT closing in........................
  • Torque
    Sorry to hear about friend but thank goodness you were able to help.

Glad the cycling went well but 12% gradient....... my eyes went all googly:-)
    Sprinting and look at those times!! wow DAS sure did inspire you:-)

I managed a 10.5 mile run only third this year, 6 miles yesterday and 6.6 today I am hoping for 10 again tomorrow.I had new shoes on bright orange and they felt so bouncy/springy think the others needed replacing a good while ago.I do rotate 3 pairs.

You will laugh I was chasing news on race numbers for GSR they are on the way and I am in Orange wave I start behind the elite men.......not sure what time I put down a year ago but think I better go to the back of the pen....LOL
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression