Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - what a sobering experience - good that you were able to help, and still enjoy the cycling "party" . . .    good effort on the reps, too  -  can be odd, sometimes, with an audience . . .   

Graham - nice work at the XC ; pleased you enjoyed, but I know the feeling of "slow"  
                       these days

WP - excellent miles - maybe GSR have allocated your pen according to shoe colour ?    

had 2 days off (lazy) !  after Tues track - 6 easy pace today, but legs felt "cumbersome" 

Dave
  • Welshpoppy
    ....but it is " only" half a mile long at 12% :)
    Chris Broadman rode the course doing a commentary on it and the hill I finish on he said was not even described as a hill in the course literature but he still struggled to get up it
    That is some big mileage you are putting together in your bright shoes - like Dave's idea of pens being allocated by shoe colour :)
    At least you will have a clear road in front of you so you can get into a proper rhythm without being confronted by masses of runners.

Dave
    I think the dogs were more interested!
    I know all about cumbersome legs! Strangely I feel a lot better running intervals than trying to churn out miles although the distance is still severely compromised in any event.
    Had more blood work done this morning - have to wait 5 days for results.

3.1 miles this morning in 29:40 (9:35m/m) which was okish. Surveyed the damage done on the grass parkland by the Fan Park for the cycling - it will be some weeks before I will be able to use the path across it where I normally run intervals as it is covered in mud!
  • How awful for your friend Torque Steer! I am hopeless in critical situations - but like you my husband is great.

Nice speedwork.

My eldest grand daughter was talking about travelling to Europe and we thought we might be able to do a marathon and meet up with her once she had done her tour. We will head to Ireland first as we have a nephew there and we will have some time in London - I was hoping to squeeze a parkrun in but not sure if it will work out. My first parkrun and the run I am registered with is Bushy Park. I did do the LFOM 5km in Hyde park too, years ago, but I'll just have to wait and see if I can fit anything in apart from Paris. I'll have to start getting a little bit further than 5km!

Graham - good to see you still doing x-country. Don't look back - you should never look back!

Welshpoppy - hope the 10 miler went well.

I did Cornwall Parkrun today 28.02 AG 76.87% I then had to take the dog for a walk!

• NZC
    Another great AG for your local parkrun
    well you can put your hand up a the start of a parkrun in UK and say you have literally travelled half way round the world for it :D!

I moved out of my comfort zone this morning and ran 5.2 miles in 51:35 (9:59m/m - that second under is important!!) with av HR 133 and a max of 143
    Felt ok apart from the shredded legs, total exhaustion and nausea but big miles for me :/!!
  • Oh that is a great idea pen's on shoe colour:-) 
    Sadly Friday after my run I came down with virus so no running :( Not sure if I will be up to a short one or not but will try if not a walk it will be.

Torque: 5miles!! WOW that is the most I have seen you run, finger's crossed things are on the up again for you.

Update on pen the very next day race number arrived and I had put 90 minutes down so I do not feel too bad after all.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    very inconvenient timing from that virus.Better to get over it properly  rather than rush it.

5.2 miles if you please :).  The old saying -" is that light at the end of the tunnel, or is it a train approaching?" may be apposite!

Anyway back to 3.1 miles this morning in 29:35 (9:44m/m) with avHR 132 and a max of 148 when I passed my attractive neighbour on the hill home (she was walking the opposite way!!) meant I had recovered from yesterday's exertions.
    torrential rain here overnight so I went out clad in Gortex jacket. Rain stopped after 50 m and it was mild and damp thereafter!!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - feeling better ?  

NZC - more excellent AgeGrade running . . .  

TS - yes, re the intervals - once I'd become used to the faster turnover, I did enjoy the track session, and at least the sensation, if not the reality, of running fast.  Speedy session today, but unstructured this time - 7 miles fartlek with my pal, followed by breakfast  . . .   
     re the jacket - I hardly ever wear one; mostly when longer running in cold,windy conditions    

Dave
  • Dave: I like your style always breakfast with pal or youngsters after training :) Great training ,Areyourunning a race soon or XC? 

Well I have run 2 days but just 5.25 miles each day no energy or strength for more so a work in progress......Thinking of getting some orange polish for nails to match shoes and race pen ;)

Torque sorry to miss of the .2 I did not have glasses on :)

I have a few jackets a lite montane for light rain,a heavier one for pesistant rain and a OMM waterproof this is new not worn as yet and have a feeling I will get too warm in it! I don't like wearing them running so unless jumping of the pavement or very cold they end up tied around waist.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP -  do it !!!   

Image result for orange nail polish pics

;)

• Dave: I am seeing a whole new side to you ;)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave

niiiice - suits you :)
    should make your intervals a bit sharper...... channeling your inner Flo-Jo!

That residual feeling of cadence and speed from intervals gets transferred into more sedate running and helps improve style and posture - I hope!

Welshpoppy
    your aren't improving with that virus hanging over you and may delay recovery.
    Have a rest day

Talking of jackets I left last night for the Hash and just grabbed my Gortex to be on the safe side. Very wise as it changed from mild, dry conditions to absolute torrential downpour in a minute which persisted for the evening. Trail washed out and ended up running another 5.2 miles which my legs did not appreciate!
    Refreshed afterwards with Theakstons Gold, sandwiches and chips - and a wood burning stove to sit round :)

• got distracted by Wales v Fiji - great game!!

easy 3.1 miles this morning - I would like to say it was a recovery run but I dont feel recovered!!
  • Quick report. I've been increasing the mileage in the last five weeks and including some faster stuff now and again. Still going out with the running shop group and enjoying that. With running to the shop and back it comes to about six miles so going back to my club and doing their seven miles doesn't seem out of the question before too long.

Their runs are continuous though so fewer chances to stop and stretch the foot. We'll see.

Off to Stratford for a week in a couple of days. On previous stays there I've enjoyed running on the canal towpath so plan to do a bit of that again.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good progress, Graham . . .  enjoy Stratford

TS - like you, was caught in a massive deluge this evening on my 4.4 miler (my own fault for not getting out sooner)  -    unlike you, I didn't have the optimum replenishment to reward me  . . .   

Dave
  • Great news Graham:-0

Torque: That sounds a good call on jacket and liquid refreshments afterwards.

Dave: Great work even if you got damp;-)

As for me nothing to report 2 days no running due to calf and virus will try either today or tomorrow......not looking good for Sunday!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshoppy
    hope it goes well

Graham
    sounds encouraging. Enjoy Stratford.  I have just come back from a break in Hall near Whitby. Lovely food and drink!!

Dave
    when it rains it rains!!  still quite warm though so not too unpleasant

well that was a game - Japan v Scotland of course! brilliant as I ate my bacon & eggs after a monster 5.2 miles in 50:12 (9:44m/m) with avHR of 131 and a max of 148 on the last hill in the now usual pouring rain.
    Started off very slowly and nearly quit after a mile but managed to up the pace a bit while remaining comfortably within my HR zone.
    I shall have to go away more often................................
  • ....... although not quite Elliot Kikchoge pace!!  Saw it described as running 42 x 100m at 17.2 sec pace just to give it some perspective. I might manage 2 of them..............
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    in similar vein - from the Independent 
    "only five of the 51,363,611 5km Park Runs completed have been faster than the pace set by Kipchoge - with the marathon distance of 26.219 miles, 8.44 times further than the Park Run distance (3.11km) 

only 12 miles this week (a week dominated by domestic issues - kitchen floor/plumbing problems)   

still, very exciting day today at the Manchester half marathon - hope you don't mind me reporting 2 family PB's -  son 1:11:16,  daughter 1:29:45  (her first sub 90)
    naturally, I'm chuffed  . . .    

Dave

• Dave, brilliant running from your children. They obviously have good genes!

TS, sounds like you enjoyed your run in spite of the rain. Nice one. We love Whitby and the country round there and enjoyed the North Yorkshire Moors steam railway gala a couple of weeks ago.

Welshpoppy, sorry to hear your running is still being impaired. Hope things pick up soon for you.

Well, I tried a run along the Stratford Canal towpath but had to admit defeat before getting too far. Just too waterlogged after heavy overnight rain, with many massive puddles impossible to avoid. Ok in a race perhaps but not a lot of fun on a regular run. I managed to find another route and did four miles at a comfortable pace. So 23 miles for the week with three quite hard runs included in that.

• Dave Well done on your youngsters running so well they must take after their dad:-) That was a low week from you home domestic issues are all solved?

Graham well done on run and weekly mileage:-)

Nothing to see here apart from sleeping 11+ hours a night....
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave
    that is a proper context - and I think those 5K runs were done by international athletes having a "drop in"!!
    well done to the family - the graphs of performance are well and truly crossing nowadays

Graham
    sounds like the canal had widened!
    Whitby wasn't too crowded for once which made a nice change - and the sun shone when we were there
    Slightly amusing incident at lunch one day when I forgot my pin number and my wife had to pay - must try that more often even if it is a joint account :)

Welshpoppy
    rest is the best medicine - you will rapidly regain any loss of strength once you are fully over the virus

Proper "seasons of mists and mellow fruitfulness" this morning with heavy mist everywhere apart from on top of the hills where the sun poked through

Quite an enjoyable 4.1 miles in 39:13 (9:48m/m) with avHR 129 and a max of 145 in such conditions apart from dodging fallen conkers and beech mast nuts!!
  • Thought it was time that I popped in!

Well done to the Birch youngsters!

Seem to be making progress, TS!

Wonder how Mick is doing, especially with the new house.

So, having fractured my sacrum on July 20th things gradually deteriorated and the damage led to my glutes, then hamstrings, then one adductor not functioning properly. Literally could not run as could not push off due to a great loss of strength. For a while it was a struggle to walk the 500 metres to the alehouse. 8 weeks of running missed, although lots of strengthening and stretching, has led to a couple of tentative jogs with walk breaks. Today was my furthest so far: 1.9k in three sections. Half a stone plus on the weight gain side. Hope to be back running properly by the new year. Not going to rush things! One of the outcomes of all the testing that I have had is that I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis and will be having to take bisphosphonates for this...once my teeth are sorted! Was told to get the all clear from the dentist who promptly took one molar out! Will take two months before the gums will allow me to start the medication! 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Alehouse

Blimey (and stronger words!!) that is a horrible period of degenerative processes (apart from the weight gain!) - and culminating with tooth extraction. I do hope that you start to recover more swiftly and I recognise the journey you have to get back towards fitness.
    Good luck!!

I do appear to have some marginal improvement, thanks for noticing. But I have been there before so i shall keep it quiet for now :)
    My most recent blood work came back "normal" although I am still not convinced the dosage levels are correct as the fatigue element is still there in almost everything I do but compared to your situation I am flying!!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    alehouse - I can only echo TS's words, and send my good wishes for your recovery "journey" (to use modern parlance) . . .   

WP - hope you are feeling stronger . .   

Graham - flooded towpath sounds frustrating, but a good week bagged nonetheless !  

TS - fine autumnal jaunt, "enjoyable" always good , as are improvements - marginal or not !  

did an accidental 14.25 this morning - set off for an intended 6 or 7, bumped into my club's Tuesday morning group after a couple of miles, and ran with them back to their finish point, then carried on, and just kept adding sections, as legs felt reasonably ok (perhaps due to only 12 miles last week and a zero yesterday).  

Dave  

edit - ps  one of the aforementioned group won the V70 section of the Chester marathon on Sunday in 3:31:18  - I did ask him what he was doing running 2 days later - I was still coming downstairs backwards at that stage !!!    
  • Dave
    an accidental 14.25 miles!!!  That's more than I do in a week :/  What pace were you "accidentally" running at he says enviously?

Jogged off to the meeting point last night just over a mile away and then ran 4 miles with the Hash on a warm, dry night.
    The venue was the very posh Wetherspoons which is having a 40th anniversary by having 40 different draft beers all priced at £2.29/pint!!  Talk about fill your boots time :)  
    As a consequence 2.5 miles this morning seemed more than enough.......................
  • Happy to report 6 days no running well that is not the happy part but 2 miles today!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    see - you have caught me up already :)
  • But I haven't, TS! 3 x 500 metres plus short walk in between hopefully represents progress. Was a bit like I had never ever run before! Will see how the legs are tomorrow before further consideration!

Can't remember when I last 14+ miles, Birch! Hope you can walk today.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse - the quads were (still are this morning) a bit sore - I blame the downhills on a pretty hilly route . . . .  
  • Alehouse

part of my recovery after the spinal surgery was to move from walking 6 miles a day to walking for 9.5 min and running for 0.5 min and which I slowly changed the ratio as I got fitter to run
    Those 30 sec runs at first were knackering!!

Dave
    I may just have a touch of schadenfreude reading about your stiff legs :)

What a change this morning - bright and crisp at 4C !!  I even put on my long sleeved lightweight merino wool top and was glad I did in the shady bits.
    4.1 miles in 39:11 (9:48m/m) felt good in such wonderful running conditions and then off to see the youngest g'kids in their school harvest festival which was nice