Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Dave

I have penciled it in my diary :) 

7.15 miles for me this morning it was dark and cold and a littly bit slippery not helped as torch was dim so charging up for next time.
    I came back and did a 20 minutes kettle bell routine.......
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave
    I may have even got round to racing a 10K by then :)!!

I like/envy the way you can just casually up the mileage like that!  What sort of pace are you running at for those distances?

Mick
    it's the fast twitch muscle fibres that go first and a lot of resistance training co-opts the fast twitch muscles first, as well as the energy release pathways, in order to initialise movement.
    I would like to see the relative percentage decline in sprint figures against those of distance running against age - I suspect that, discounting outliers, it will be a steeper curve for sprinting.
    -7C sounds postively balmy for you!

Welshpoppy
    good work on listening to the legs - they rarely lie!  It also enable you to run the 7+ miles you did this morning.

I finally succumbed to pressure of wear and ordered a pair of new trainers. They arrived yesterday when I was out and my wife promptly snaffled them and said they were going to be my Xmas present from her as I am so difficult to buy for!!!!!!

4.25 miles last night's Hash around hilly K'boro with some lovely Xmas lights thrown in - and some excellent Roosters IPA and sandwiches + chips for afters.

4 miles this morning in a keen NE wind that kept temperatures down and brought a tear to the eye - or it may have been the effort of running it in 40 40:30 on stiffening legs that brought them on!

• Dave:

We could have a thread turn out for Percy Pud :)

Torque:

Oh fancy Mrs TS snaffling the trainers, she could have bought you the same pair so you would have one to wear and one for Christmas.
    Sound a good Hash last night I love the christmas lights this time of year makes my early morning runs more enjoyable.But where you not cutting back so either sandwiches or chips ;)

I was aiming for 8 miles this morning but needed to tie in buying banana's at village so ended up 7.5 with 0.5 mile walk home. The run was slow again but it is dark and cold and I am cautious don't want to fall.It is jolly cold 1 degree again here.I have a new Helly hansen base layer made with merino wool it does keep you nice and toasty with short sleeved top on top, gloves, woolly hat:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    Mrs TS wouldn't know a trainer if it bit her!!  She had heard me chuntering on about the cost of a new pair and just said - "for heaven' sake, just buy them - you can afford it!!" - so it would have wiped out my satisfaction in getting a pair cheaply if she had just paid full price for another pair.

Is it dark for all your run in the morning.  I used to go out before 0700, and still do in the summer when I wake up even earlier, but now I do some work for an hour or so, let my meds take effect and then out to greet the dawn- which is a bit later up here!

With you on the merino fine wool tops - I have two and rarely need more than a tee short on top - or occasionally a wind/rain jacket if it is blowing from the north or raining hard.
    Hope the bananas weren't too heavy!

I reduced my beer intake to compensate for the chip intake ;)

4 miles again this morning - raw cold in a strengthening wind and it was a bit of an effort to get round in 40:40 - but it's 5 days or running in a row and with tomorrow 6 before a rest day on Saturday - if you can call a Christmas Market shopping a rest day!!
  • Some better, or at least more consistent, training going on around here, I note!

Strange experience the other day: switched on the television for the early morning local news, and more importantly the weather, and there, staring back at me was a clip of me running! I was running with Dr Hill back in 2014 when he was celebrating his 50 years of running every day; he was being awarded the freedom of his local borough on Tuesday. Looked far too heavy...and I certainly am now! Around 9 pounds heavier than July and about a stone or so heavier than I would like!

Anti-gravitational treadmill this morning: a "session"! First since early July! 3 x 3mins @5 minute miling with 2 mins recovery at 6 minute miling. Shame it was at 90% bodyweight. Would like to build on this if I can get the treadmill booked consistently.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Torque@

You should have got two pairs as on sale glad you managed to get a bargain!
    Oh yes it is dark till around 7.50am at the moment so all runs are dark unless I leave it later which I do not like doing unless i have slept in.

Glad to hear the beer intake suffered :)

I do not like the sound of saturday's rest day....sounds like a nightmare to me......

Torrential rain this morning and 8 degree's  as I was feeling tired must be the kettlebell workout. I opted for a cobbled together route which worked and far steeper so I worked harder on the uphill segments.4.3 miles .If i feel good will do another run later if not some kettlebells.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good miles, TS & Poppy  

alehouse - nice anecdote re Dr Ron - and yes, odd to flick the telly on , and view oneself trotting along . I think you hit the nail on the head (in my case, at least) - more consistent, but better ?  Probably not . . .   and the consistency taken a minor hit, as following Tuesday's 10, gone down with a tedious cold/headache thing, so haven't run since.  Hope to get out tomorrow, as I intended joining a longish one with some clubmates.  I certainly won't be near any Christmas Markets  . . .  :)

Dave
  • alehouse
    I think I need a portable anti gravity machine to take on runs!!!
    Nice TV opportunity reminisce :) I have occasionally seen myself on  footage and always wonder who that ol' bugger is  :(
    So all you have to do is lose 10% of your current weight and replicate those times outside :)

Welshpoppy
    it didn't suffer too much :)
    It doesn't help when its raining as well in the early morning - it just makes it even gloomier and you can't see the undulations in the ground.
    kettlebells eh?  hardcore!!

4 miles this morning on tired legs so 40:30 although avHR was only 130

Looking forward to my rest day tomorrow - not!!
  • Dave
    apologies - we must have xposted.

Sorry to hear about the bug - my wife has had one on and off for some time now so I hope yours clears up soon.

I can console myself that the Xmas Market is for charity ............... 

I had a flock of redwings descend upon a berry bearing tree in the garden and I was watching them through binoculars when there was a sudden flash across my vision and our local sparrowhawk dived in and took one!!
    Poor soul - just travelled from Norway for a good feed and bang...................

• Dave:

Oh no you have gone done with cold they take ages to shift and a nasty norovirus doing the rounds down here.(I am keeping well away from anyone)

Torque:

Nope I am a baby :) instructor has 8lb weight  I just use the 3lb one with kettlebells.
    Enjoy your rest day today..........will you survive is the question!
    Oh poor wee soul what a nasty end for him!

Today I slept in 12 hours!! so later going out and not as far but 5.2 miles all done HR is up and recovery is 36 hrs average HR 146! and for a flattish route. Making 34 miles for the week which is 12 less than last week but 1 rest day due to weather.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    still a good week, Poppy - and impressed by 12 hour sleep !  

TS - a treat seeing the redwings and also, I guess, seeing nature in the raw, with the sparrowhawk appearance - not so for unfortunate victim of course  . . .  hope your rest day was a pleasant one - you earned it !    

spectating at the South Yorks XC Championship this morn - cold and windy, then rained for a period, so nicely damp for the drive home.  Revived by tea and cake - now, do I run this afternoon, or start a new week afresh tomorrow?  Lurgy now in later stages - advanced to occasional coughing fits now !   

Dave
  • Dave:

I take Rochester ginger drink for coughs and sore throats it really does help.

Well done for spectating in the cold and wet but glad tea and cake lifted your spirits but what cake was it?

I ran 6.10 miles this morning and similar conditions to Dave's but getting worse with weather warning in place.No Kettle bell today a day off :) nad I used 5lb weight yesterday!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Nice sunny but cool run this morning, if a little breezy in parts. Just over an hour with my M74 mate, covering just under 10k either on quiet roads or off-road. 

Saturday and my nearest, slightly undulating, parkrun. Ran progressively and harder than intended: splits of 5:15, 5:05, 4:50, 4:40, 4:30 to give 24:20. 

Trust everyone is bug free!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Dave
    not really a day for spectating was it particularly with a cold :)?
    Hope the lurgy has gone after that "fresh" air!

I put the bird feeders close to a hedge so the small birds have some protection but "our" sparrowhawk seems to take delight in taking larger birds like pigeons normally - obviously just wanted a snack as there were pigeons nearby!!
    the redwings scattered after the attack but they were back again shortly afterwards and have remained feeding off the berries ever since.  what was a tree heavily covered in bright red berries is now almost bare of them

Welshpoppy
    Building up nicely on the kettlebells

Well I survived the Xmas market - sustained by a large measure of mulled wine and a bratwurst - although my wallet was not so lucky as Mrs TS seized upon some more (expensive!!) seasonal ornaments :( 
    Weather was fine and dry, which it was not on Sunday morning where I had the full force of a very breezy wind, driving rain, hail and sleet, and some brief sunshine, as I struggled round 6 miles. Pleased I bumped into an old running buddy and was able to have a break for a few minutes chat half way round - hard work all round.

Early doctor's appointment this morning for more bloods and a check on my increasingly stiff hips and knees early in the morning.  He thought it prudent to have an x-ray done so I popped over to the nearby hospital for a walk-in x-ray and then went back to the surgery for my bloods to be done as there was a cancelled appointment. Back home by 1000 - who said there was a crisis in the NHS :)?

Had an interesting talk about glucosamine with the doctor. He said supplements had no real scientific basis for proven efficacy but that it simply worked on some people and not on others on a random basis in the early stages of osteoarthritis.  It can also raise cholesterol levels so he wanted to establish my current level (currently excellent on my last test) before trying out a course. He said if there was no improvement after 30-60 of taking them days to discontinue 
  • Torque:

Good job on Christmas Market but next time  tell Mrs TS you left wallet at home......hehehehe but nice mulled wine drinking;-)
    That sounds like you had everything thrown at you on your run and you came through it:-)

I think you are lucky where you are with NHS service.I can not get bloods done at surgery it has to be hospital and that means anything from 45-2 hours wait, same for xray's unless we go to hospital 45 mins away as that is quicker on Xrays.

Interesting on Glucasamine and raised Cholesterol levels..... mine are vegan ones from Healthspan.

No run yesterday due to high winds which did not ease till 3pm and also I was very tired back to sleeping 12+hours a night.But did do kettlebell workout.

I did want to be up early but no I slept in so torrential rain and winds for my run later ah well never mind :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse - excellent parkrun .  Please don't lose that "timber" you mentioned - otherwise I'll have no chance of catching you ;)   

Poppy - good 6 miler the other day, though you're not having much luck with the weather  . . .  the cake was my mother's Madeira - I visited her after the XC.  

TS - always nice to bump into a pal, or acquaintance whilst out . .
    interesting re the Glucosamine link with elevated cholesterol levels . .  think I'll hold off it for now.   speaking of NHS, I spent 3 hours with my mother on Friday at our walk-in centre - she'd had a fall in M&S - cut eye and sprained ankle !!  Still, on Saturday she went out for lunch and baked the aforementioned cake, so not too shaken by the fall.

may try the Rochester drink, though, Poppy - I think the cold and wet on Sunday set me back, as felt "headachy" & lethargic yesterday.  2 miles on the treadmill at gym this morning as a try-out; and soon off to "Lads" Christmas lunch ("lads" being men of er, more mature years)  :)    must take care I don't end up "headachy & lethargic" later today !!   
    Dave

• alehouse

missed your post - well done on the parkrun and very nice progression in the times.  Hope the floods had gone otherwise they were very fast swimming times!

Welshpoppy/Dave
    I don't want you thinking that is a typical NHS service here!!!
    My doctor's appointment was at 0830 and when I went to reception to book the blood test they had just had a cancellation so I nabbed it and then walked over to the nearby hospital for my walk in x-ray. That didn't open until 0900 so I was first in the queue - the table hadn't even warmed up when I got on it!
    Then back for my bloods and the nurse fitted me in before my allocated time!!

Dave
    That is a tough generation :)
    Again the effect on cholesterol levels is not universal - it appears to be fairly random
    I feel a heavy afternoon coming on for you -enjoy :)

Pleased it was a no run morning as it was lashing down but the forecast for tonight's Hash is even worse and it's back to K'boro - but no Xmas Market to negotiate this time, thank goodness!
  • Dave:

Nice cake making by mum especially after her fall .I hope she is okay? Okay lunch out and cake making she reminds me of my late Grandmother they are tough ladies because they had tobe a totally different generation to the youngster's of today :)

I get mine in Holland and barrat, Local deli or healthshop....But as you are in England may have more options.

I love it Lads Christmas Lunch :) a bit like I call the girls when we have not been girls for a wee while ;) Watch those puds and drinks that sap the energy:-)

Torque:

Good luck tonight with the weather!!

Well torrential rain, high winds so I had fallen trees and branches to navigate along with darkness but pleased to be out it was slow but to be expected 5.30 miles and a kettle bell workout afterwards.

Weather looks dry tomorrow , wet Thursday, dry Friday and 2 degree's for race !

Alehouse:

Good parkrun and progress being made looks like you are on the up at last:-)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • well last  night was a bit wet and windy but it slowly cleared up as the run unfolded leaving just streams of run off and masses of branches on the paths and pavements.

WP - you will be pleased to know that I forego-ed any nourishment after the run - only beer was consumed :)

Nice chilly morning here as I plodded a sedate 4 miles in just under 40 min with avHR of 128 but it felt harder!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well, I survived the "Lads Lunch" - very good Christmas fare, with a couple of pints of good ale and a glass of decent wine, then my heart sank, as our organiser (normally quite a sane chap) revealed the itinerary was a visit to a faux "Alpine Bar", which resides for the festive season at the top of the High Street in the city centre, followed by another temporary establishment -the confusingly named "Thor's" which boasts of its "tepee" setting !!  
    Both offered expensive, but low quality, wine . . .   in plastic glasses, which we "enjoyed" whilst the festive muzak blared :/   
    Don't wish to come over all Ebenezer; I had a splendid afternoon with my friends, but these places . . .  bah !  
    I was the first to leave, so was back home by 5pm, with no "headache or lethargy" to report.   

lurgy is virtually gone, so 6 miles this afternoon - grey and dank, but good to record a proper run, after the tryout on the treadmill yesterday  

Dave
  • Torque:

It sounds similar conditions to ours but with added rain.Well done on just having the liquid refreshment's  after run.

Nice low Hr for your run.

Dave:

That sounds a good outcome after " Lads Christmas do" sameabout those pop up places and music.But it got rid of your cold-yay
    Nice 6 miler -I think it is grey and dank all the time!

I also ran 6 miles well 6.17 as I have extended Rugby club route to it's max in torrential rain yesterday.

Today I have opted to walk to village for supplies first as bouncing off the pavement rain and I concluded it is dark, wet and cold so going to go out at 9am after a warm coffee.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave
    well done on your survival technique :)
    I know all too well what you mean by such places - found myself in one last month after an evening meal with the blokes from the Hash - some insisted on going on to a "trendy" bar - all loud music so we couldn't talk, loud punters, and poor beer. I led a breakaway group to a local craft ale bar after 20 minutes!!

A good 6 miles to run off some of the dinner and drink - outside is always better than a treadmill - unless you are Mick getting snowed in!!

Welshpoppy
    that extra 0.17 miles is good news - takes you to 10K so it's a race distance :)

We had a spectacular near full moon last evening in a clear sky - very bright indeed - and it prefaced a cold, overcast morning with frost on the pavements as I went out for my 4 miles again just under 40 mins with av HR 129 because I legged it a bit over the last 400m to make sure I got under the 40 :)

Suppose i had better go out and vote shortly ......... eany, meany, miny,mo ................. which is the biggest villain you know?
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nice efforts, Poppy/TS - in differing conditions !   did you get out today, post-coffee, WP?

went out later this evening - a card delivery run - 6.64 miles, so goes in the diary as 6.5 -
    suited me to go later - showered, late supper, TV on to see what unfolds . . .   

Dave
  • Torque:

Sadly no moon too much cloud but this morning I was rewarded with it in the sky......I thought maybe it was a sign......
    Great work on your 4 miler

Dave:

Well done on multi tasking on your run:-)

No run yesterday I felt out of sorts so had a rest day so I shall be out today just me and the moon:-)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I am happy to report 6.17 mile hilly run but blustery I thought I would be blown on the road! I came home to find barrier down by path so had to investigate...it is fantastic all tarmac three times as wide so I had to christen it up and down 0.31 miles and fastest pace of the morning 8.35 but I dont think they are quiet finished as yet as could hear some big machines.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave
    very eco friendly card delivery - although your CO2 output may have to be offset somehow :)

Welshpoppy
    just as well the tarmac was set otherwise you may have ended up stuck there!!
    Good distance after your day off 

well it was dry and relatively still here this morning with even a glimpse of the sun later on as I too dropped off a few cards 
    After 2 miles I was as wiped out as the Labour Party last night and struggled to get home without stopping. The 4.15 miles were done in 42:40 (10:18m/m) with avHR131 - so 90 sec slower and HR up - not a pretty sight :(
  • Not a lot to report here apart from the rain! Have got wet on nearly every run this week and have twice nearly drowned on my journey to stretch and strengthen! Not been feeling great, which is hardly surprising, although I have a suspicion it might also be connected with the new osteoporosis medication.

Hope you recover quickly TS; I suspect it might take the Labour Party rather longer. 
  • Torque

I hope you have recover quickly and are feeling a little better today?

Today just the matter of running in a santa suit for 5k could be messy it will be cold windy and maybe wet.......all good fun.....wanders off wondering why i enter these races at this time of year!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehouse
    yup - rain spread over here as well :/
    side effects of drugs are very difficult to quantify as they are normally handed out with little warning as to side effects and when one reads up on them the potential list is enormous!!

Welshpoppy
    a wet Santa suit does not sound too attractive as running garb :)

Woke up to snow here!!  Not much, only a covering on the hill where I live and turning to icy slush at lower altitudes. Tricky underfoot though with backslip everywhere

I managed 4.05 miles in 42:20 (10:25m/m) which was enough as I was still knackered although my avHR was only 124 I still needed a little walk rest after 1.5 miles. Strangely the mile splits were all around 10:30 despite walks, hills and knackeredness!!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poppy - nice 6.17 :)    -  exciting news re the footpath !  Hope all went well with the Santa suit jaunt . . . .     

TS - good work in the slippery slushiness (alliteration not intended )  :)    re pace - I've just remembered you asked my general training pace - its probably in the 9:30/10:00 area . . .    

after a planned rest on Friday, mojo disappeared this weekend, so 14.5 for the week. Not too concerned, as lurgy has lingered slightly, though I've spent a lot of time watching/listening/reading analysis & coverage of the Election . . . .  
    need a decent 16 running days now, to finish off the year . . .    

Dave