Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Torque:

Great effort in the snow/slushiness conditions nice even pace!

Dave:

With your cold no wonder mileage was low you need to recover hopefully you will finish December with a flurry of miles :)

Santa 5k dash was interesting costume ripped with in 2k well the trousers itwas flimsy so had to get it off luckily running chap behind helped me as difficult to get off.The winds were awful a terrible force to fight.Without walkers holding everyone up so i just enjoyed it high fived the kiddies and had fun only managed to run at my pace for last 1.15 mile.Slowest 5k ever 31.13

I came away thinking i had not run and debated running when back at home but got bogged down in chores.

Yesterday another 6.17 mile run all felt good.

Today I am tired from shopping yesterday so it may be short! Hopefully i do not need to go near a shop again this side of Christmas!

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave

thanks - I was just wondering how far behind I was - both in time and distance!
    Hope you find the missing mojo and finish off the year well
    Election results were fascinatingly unexpected and I suspect they will give a great deal of though to analysts for years to come - until the next election in fact!
    What comes next is the greater imponderable - all those new MPs who will have very different ideas and demands on what  they want for their constituents in order to consolidate their position will create a new dynamic in parliament - hopefully for the better.

Welshpoppy
    LOL at the thought of a runner coming up to you and asking is you would like your pants ripped off  :):)
    The last mile time looked very tasty!

Dave/WP
    Thanks for kind comments about my recent runs but I fear it is nearly the last ragings against the dying light - my body is just too messed up for me to anticipate any real progress nowadays - but hey, I can still get out there.
    I watched SPOTY last night, unusually for me as I have tired of its format, and was moved to near tears by Doddy Weir and the accomplishments of Tanni Grey -Thompson so maybe I won't quit just yet

In fact 4 miles this morning, (without walking!!), in a strong cold wind in 41:14 (10:15m/m) and avHR back down to 125 felt a little better although still down on the norm
  • on the subject of not giving up in adversity have a read of this

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/dec/16/claire-alex-danson-interview

the list of injuries suffered is horrifying - as indeed are the consequences for her.

Hash Xmas lights "run" this evening which invariably turns into a glorified pub crawl...........................
  • Torque:

I know  it was so funny but we both knew it was for the best I had half a leg exposed and annoying me.He was a local club runner and kind to stop and help as it must have cost him time.I think he finished after me.
    I also watched Doddy Weir and was moved to tears .We have no choice but keep on keeping on until in our boxes or firey furnace.

I read the article what a brave lady not an easy road but she has an amazing attitude......

Enjoy tonight madness down the watering hole with a wee run before:-)

Two days I have not run Monday far too exhausted so opted to wrap present and get them posted off!! today -2 and icy and I won't risk it I tried twice so thought at least I will be well rested for kenyan hills tomorrow or a speed session will see what legs say. :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    pants story made me smile also, Poppy !  
    an incredible story, TS  . . .  
    no SPOTY here - became unwatchable for me years ago - but heard Doddie Weir on radio - very impressive man . . .   
    no run yesterday, making a 4 day break, but back to it today, with 9.5 miles - was meant to go to club's Tuesday morn session, which sets off at 9:30, but was awake at 5am, and after 30mins realised sleep wasn't returning, so arose, had an hour with news and cups of tea, then set off in darkness, but finished in daylight, feeling very virtuous !   50/50 on/off road - bit slippy in places on the tarmac, but nothing too hazardous.  

enjoy the hash & refreshments, TS ;   Poppy - 2 days off - you'll whizz round tomorrow's session :)    

Dave
  • Welshpoppy
    I did the wrapping presents bit on Sunday - took me four hours!!  I don't think there was one simple rectangular box to wrap - harder than shopping!

Dave
    good comeback run - show those legs what they need to do!!
    I am with you on SPOTY but the remote was too far away :)

Excellent Hash last evening - 6 cryptic clues led us to different watering holes in town where refreshment was taken in each and then back to the starting pub for more liquid refreshment and some very welcoming hot food.
    Not surprisingly I woke up this morning with a slightly muzzled head but stepping out into a -3C frsoty, misty morning did a lot to clear it quite quickly and I sauntered round 5.05  miles in 51:10 ( 10:14m/m) with avHR 124 and a max of only 136.

Felt very refreshed afterwards!!
  • Dave:

Well done on your early morning run and the miles!
    I so agree with SPOTY I watched the Doddie on catch up and fast through it all.

Torque:

Oh I agree and the price to post things are crazy.Not an easy package to wrap  next year more thought on size and shape.
    Nice couple of runs there very low HR.

I ran yesterday but legs were shouting at me we don't like rest so 6.2 miles over Rugby club route.No Kenyan hills or efforts

Today hills so 6.2 again I had a busy morning with electrician but after today I can manage longer runs-yay.More wrapping needs doing......

I think start the kenyan hills and efforts next week as want to get the mileage up first.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    the hills can always wait :)
    6.2 miles is a good run out and starts to nicely stress the aerobic zone - which is why I rarely get that far!

Weather completely changed this morning - mild and heavy rain and then sunshine!!
    No muzzy head but muzzy legs which I persuaded to do their normal 4 miles in 40:54 (10:14m/m) with avHr of 125 and a max of 141 as I pushed just a little bit over the last half mile up hill - nearly broke into a sweat as it was so warm :)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    consistent distance (Poppy) , and pace (TS) over your respective brace of outings.
    good work !  
    no runs for me since Tuesday - been a bit busy - actually done Christmas shopping and wrapped presents;  had visitors too.  None of which used enough time to prevent running, but took a relaxed view . Have drawn up a schedule through to Sun 29th, to get me to a mileage target I hoped for this year . . .   

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    . . . day one of schedule done - 6 miles early doors - shorts today, felt quite mild . . 

D
  • Dave:
    This time of year it is good to be relaxed about running but well done on the shopping and wrapping! Did son like his new Orange trainers?
    Good luck with mileage and schedule.

Torque:
    Warm wow you are lucky but it has got warmer enough for just short sleeved top after a warm up:-)

This morning 8.5 miles it would have been 9 miles but needed to stop at village on way through for Apricot jam so I can marzipan the cake. Very pleased with how it went and my mental strength to cross the road and not do the route I love but one that gets busy as I can extend it Tomorrow 10 miles if all goes well.Sunday will be double day 5 miles at home then 4 miles at Aberafan.

Average hr 138 so lowest it has been for a few days :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ooh you popped up as I was typing Dave,Well done on 6 miles and shorts!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave
    but what about the 30th and 31st?  Or are they for contingencies?
    Good call on the shorts even early in the morning  - I was overdressed in tights
    What is your target mileage for the year an dhow much do you need to do?

Welshpoppy
    that's what I like to see - traditional cake build up - apricot jam and marzipan wrapped around Xmas cake. Perfect long distance running refuelling food and you may need it with those miles done and planned

Well I was a bit muzzled again after what was planned as a quiet drink with friends got a bit derailed  :)!!
    Legs this morning were definitely leaden and as I plodded along I came to my 400m interval path which has finally been cleared up after the UCI cycling roadshow had churned up and destroyed much of the surrounding grassland.  The path is now lined both sides with orange plastic fencing to stop people getting bogged down in the mire!
    Anyway on an impulse I thought - "lets run an interval" so I did.

Bad move :/!  I manged to finish it in 1:38 (6:41m/m) for a 1/4 mile with avHR of 124 and a max of 145 but there was no way I was doing another one.......

shambled off home after that.........................
  • ...Garmin no longer appears to be synching with Garmin Connect - something else to sort out!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poppy - thanks, he did like the shoes - he's likes that model, but not had that colour before !   (he has a running jacket for Christmas; daughter has some trail shoes)  :)  
    nice 8.5, and good plans for the weekend running.  Cake - hm, shame you're so far away  - maybe you can bring a slice with you when you are here for Percy Pud next year ;)   

TS - more muzziness? tsk, tsk,  ;)   speedy 400 though - doubt I could manage that  . . .  

miles - well, (not sure if I posted this previously), not so much a goal for the whole year, but I aimed to reach a "career" total (from when I first started recording my miles, in 1986), of 65,000 by my 65th birthday, on Aug 29th. Sadly, fire (which I do remember posting about) and death intervened , and, I was thrown off track .  I did continue running (as I think we'd agree, its therapy in so many ways), but not at the necessary volume. So, I reassigned the goal to be completed by the end of the year, and have chosen the 29th partly, as TS says, to give a couple of days contingency, but more so that its 4 months exactly since my birthday, and I just like giving significance to numbers sometimes :)   today's 6 leaves me on 1163 for the year, and 64,940 all told - so 60 remains to be done in 9 days (or 11) . Tomorrow I'm meeting 2 chums for 14.5 at 7:15 am . . . . .  its our club's Christmas "do" tomorrow evening, so the 4  I have planned for Sunday may well be "muzzy", TS :)  

Dave
  • Torque:

I hope you and your body are less muzzled today fancy these drinks doing that to you :) but I wish I could run 1/4 mile at that pace and such a low HR!
    Did you sort out Garmin and Connect? usually a reboot of computer, smart phone will do the job?

Dave:

As you know I only running in those shoes and love the orange colour:-) ooh you are such a good Dad such lovely running gifts for Christmas :) Looking to adopt...... ;)

You have a deal if I make Percy Pud I shall bring Christmas cake:-) I made a last minute cake this year as usually make in July/August and only i like it so thought not this year but i started to get twitchy:-)

I am sorry to hear about death and fire that is a lot to deal with, but running is great therapy and glad you were able to over come these terrible things and get back to your running and make your totals :)

Enjoy the 14 today!!

I have slept badly so the planned 10 will not happen today maybe Monday.I shall go out and see what happens.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    W.Poppy - thank you - sorry to hear of the poor sleep impacting on your planned run. 
                   yes, did the run - 14.7 miles - 5 laps of the lake which is visible in the background of this pic taken at the end, with my buddies . . .   
    Image may contain 3 people including Julia Waldron people smiling people standing tree outdoor and nature

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Great pic, you so young. It looks a little damp though.

TS,
    I have a running buddy who really enjoys wine and he finds some of our early morning runs something of a strain so I know where you are coming from.
    I am not impressed with Garmin's software. It seems very sensitive to errors in transmission either via a usb or bluetooth connection. You can usually recover it but it is annoying as these issues should be cleaned up.
    I also find their non-gps logging to be consistently inaccurate depending on which wrist I am wearing my garmin on. They use another vendors algorithm for determining pace which is too simple as it is clear that we run differently on a treadmill than we do outside. The error is very consistent so you would think they could adjust for it.
    I have a lot of hair on my arms and wrist which I suspect makes the HRM unreliable. About one run in ten produces total rubbish for my heartrate. If I reset the device before my run it seems to behave better.

The weather here is cold, -19c plus a windchill so I have been running indoors this week.

09:14 AM Saturday, December 21, 2019
    Treadmill, felt really good, garmin slow again. treadmill avg 5:50/km

Total Non-moving Time = 0.0 secs
    Run Duration = 33:07,  Run Length = 5.37 Kms or 3.34 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 06:10 per Km or 09:55 per Mile, Age grade =  59.8 %
    Average Run WHR = 72.7 %,  Max Run WHR = 85.9 %

Average Run Cadence = 86.7, Average stride length = 0.94 m

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    #01     06:26     1.0        0.6      06:26      10:21      54.8%     63.0%      87.0       0.89
    #02     06:05     1.0        0.6      06:05      09:47      66.7%     72.6%      88.0       0.93
    #03     06:08     1.0        0.6      06:08      09:52      74.1%     78.5%      86.0       0.95
    #04     06:04     1.0        0.6      06:04      09:46      80.0%     85.9%      87.0       0.95
    #05     06:04     1.0        0.6      06:04      09:46      83.7%     85.9%      86.0       0.96
    #06     02:20     0.4        0.2      06:15      10:03      84.4%     85.9%      86.0       0.93

Today's run is typical for this week. I find running on the treadmill a bit of a chore so the distances tend to be short. The issue for me is always overheating despite having fans.

Here is what it is like outside. It is a trail used for the local Parkrun by my house, and my dog is patiently waiting for me to take a pic. Not too much snow by our standards but it sure beats all the damp and wet you have.

• Mick:
    What a glorious snowy photo amd your dog looks almost added to photo:-)
    I hate treadmills and I also over heat even with fans and open window so I never use that much.

Dave:

Nice photo but you look soggy,buddies seem happy.But 5 laps oh my giddy aunt I hate laps well done on your long run!

Yesterday I ran 5.5 miles I had planned on 1 mile easy, 0.25 hard, 2 mins slow,repeat 5 times then cool down mile.I set up on garmin connect or thought I had uploaded to watch and off I go only to find what actual was on watch was 1 mile warm up 0.25 hard, 2 mins easy then 5 x 1mile cool down .So after the one set i just ran at my pace for rest of run.....I will alter it for next time ;)

Today I think I will attempt a long run as Mr Poppy not very well for Aberafan, we can go tomorrow or Christmas eve.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick
    good top see that weather conditions are returning to normal for you :)  - really nice picture and your dog looks like he is posing for you
    I am with you on treddie running - never liked it but then I don't have to put up with your winters - and you managed a decent pace on our run.  was your high maxHR due to overheating?

Have you done the local parkrun yet?

Dave
    well done - it looks almost as wet underfoot as being in the lake!
    still some serious miles to do to achieve your target and I hope that muzziness did not afflict you too much today :)

Welshpoppy
    I just start and stop my Garmin for each interval :)  still a good workout and a long run after some pace will do you good

I woke up this morning and heard a voice saying - "run 10 miles".  To my surprise it was me talking to myself - must have been dreaming about such fantastic feats :)

Anyway it lodged in my mind so I determined to run as far as possible and see what happened.

What happened was 8.68 miles in 89:51 (10:23m/m) with avHR of 129 and a max of 140 so it was all clearly aerobic despite 90m of climb overall

10:25  120  131
    09:49  125  134
    10:49  125  132  - included dropping off a couple of Xmas cards!
    10:13  130  136
    10:09  134  137
    10:14  133  140
    10:37  133  139
    10:23  131  137
    07:09  134  140

completely done in at the end where I had slipped to 10:50m/m pace but it was the ache in my knees and hips rather than the lack of energy that finally ground me down, although truth to tell, there was precious little energy left either!!!

• Torque:

WOW that is a long run well done I am impressed it shows how much you have come along I am so happy for you  :)

I must stop saying what i might do as that never happens...do to not sleeping well again I set up properly the session so opted to do that.

1 mile warm up 10.30

0.25 9.47

1.50 easy...9.40

0.25 8.48

1.50 easy..10.37

0.25 8.38

1.50 easy...9.48

0.25 9.48

1.50 easy...10.31

0.25 10.15.....eased back passing 2 horses not to spook them.

1 mile cool down .....11.08

Elevation 81m
    Av Hr 148

1.18 miles to home

First interval session in 15+ years and Achilles is fine :)

Strangely I feel tired today/
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Mick - your crisp fresh snow trumps my dank mud for "picturesque-ness"  . . .   good                  t'mill effort - 33 mins would seem an age for me on the machine  . . . 

Poppy - excellent session - made even more satisfying by no achilles reaction !  Hope Mr               Poppy soon recovers.    

TS - great effort - good to hear you've pulled a run like that out of the bag . . .  

the club "do" went well- my friend (the one in the snowflake leggings) was awarded "most improved runner" of 2019, so I'm glad I attended. . .   and yes, a bit of muzziness this morning, after 4 ales, so a quiet start , then off to see the Owls edge the Robins with a late penalty, before getting the 4 miler ticked off at 5pm.  

Dave
  • Definitely a Christmas card scene, Mick! Remains damp and grey here!

That's a decent run, TS, although I would have run another 9 seconds! Don't know when I last ran for 90 minutes; now there's a target for 2020! Only up to an hour at present. 

Sounds like a decent evening or two, Birch! I have had an old friend staying with me over the weekend and he forced me to spend rather too much time in the alehouse, which is my excuse for being 15 seconds down on a month ago on the parkrun that I did yesterday. Was also damp and cold but only one puddle, visited twice. Friend used to run but now must be close to double his weight when at uni! No wonder he is scheduled to have both knees replaced, on in Feb and one later next year.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Dave:

Well done to your friend in the snowflake leggings that must have made her night.Glad you got out and ticked off the 4 miler.
    Are you on track for your mileage?

Today I have run 6 miles over the hills easy and all good mind you I could have done with a few more hours sleep.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave/Alehouse
    nice to see I am spreading the festive muzziness around :)

That was a very good award for your friend to get -"most improved" is an excellent standard.  Do you run with her quite often - I seem to recall you saying that you had met up with a friend for some longer runs quite often.
    4 miles clicked off - but it means more miles on the remaining days!

Ol' Bruce appears to be getting the best out of the Magpies at the moment :)

Alehouse
    despite your efforts in your namesake location that was still a very good parkrun time - beer gives one energy!!

I have a lamp post about 5 yards away from my gate and I always use it as the end point for runs and times and distances are what they are - in truth I may not have managed another 9 seconds yesterday!!!
    That run will either be a benchmark or a high water mark for next year............

Welshpoppy
    your interval times were all over - were you running on the same stretch of ground or just where the session times brought you to?
    I like to run them over the same stretch so that they all become comparable and you also get used to little check points along the way so that you can gauge effort better.  Did you get your HR well above aerobic level
    Anyway well done on venturing out for your first interval session in a long time and backing it up with a good session this morning

Set out this morning on legs feeling ok at the start but soon deteriorated!
    Did my usual 4 miles but in a slow 42:47 (10:50m/m) but with avHR of only 123 and a max of 133 - it was certainly a recovery run after yesterday!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    he really had to twist your arm, I'll wager, alehouse  . .    

TS - not surprised you had tired legs - but another run bagged . .   
    yes, my friend is doing her first marathon in April, and I'm accompanying her on the longer runs (we occasionally run in the week together, but as she works and I don't, I tend to run in the daytime (although I've resolved to go to the club a bit more) 

Poppy - sounds a pleasant 6, and good it felt "easy" over the hills   

TS/Poppy - miles - I'm on track - another 4 today (legs felt more leaden than they did yesterday (!) ) - schedule has 15 for Saturday, which is the key to bagging the required amount . . . . .   

Dave
  • Actually Birch, on Saturday he tried to bend my arm to have (yet) another pint and I said no, but my  friendly barman (Dave, coincidentally) had already pulled me a pint so I ending up having it free; couldn't say no could I! 
    Sounds like you have far too much decent training planned! Puts some of us to shame! Was talking future plans over this morning with the M74 guy I run with most Mondays: we aim to build to 90 minutes by Easter at the latest (and his 75th, a new category always being an incentive).

Not surprised you were tired, TS! I struggled a bit this morning after a reasonable fitness suite session yesterday, with the focus on legs especially; M74 was tired after his Christmas handicap yesterday, and the weather was grim despite the decent forecast! As a consequence we called it a day after 50 minutes, which is fine. 

And a decent few days training WP: just don't rush things! Gently progressive consistent consistency please!

And a few people missing at present. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Torque

It is where the run took me some where uphill as you can tell from splits it would bore me to run same stretch over and over.My thinking if I run same course each time I can see improvement.I also have to deal with animals and people.Oh yes above aerobic level! I will try harder next time.

Dave:

Great news you are on track it is strange how heavy our legs feel I have a feeling today will be such a day for me.But 15 on Saturday....thud I shall think of youI will be tapering as SAS race NYE :disappointed:

Ale:

I think this time of year it is about tiding over till we have more time and energy in NY well done on 50 minutes.
    I am taking it very easy  not doing anything to hault progress or Achilles!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Alehouse 
    a friendly barman :)  - fine excuse  :) !!
    good planning for next year

Dave
    that's a big chunk in one day but you have done it before so good luck.
    You can give a lot of encouragement and advice to your friend as she progresses particularly about not overdoing it :)

Welshpoppy
    I thought you would be moving around a trail with your intervals.  I understand the reluctance to repeat on the same spot but it does breed consistency in applying effort and a flat area means one can focus on stride length, pick up etc which one cannot do consistently over "lumpy" ground.

Major injury alert!!!
    I volunteered (or was volunteered!) do some some last minute Xmas shopping for perishables. Happily bowling my trolley along I was T boned by a woman coming out of a side aisle with a laden trolley. I body swerved smartly to avoid the impact of said trolley on my right leg and the knee locked up!!  
    I could scarcely walk afterwards and was grateful for the trolley as a zimmer frame to get me back to the car.
    It is now swollen and stiff and so a no run day which may even extend into tomorrow for obvious reasons as I have dinner to cook for 10.
    I was just thinking to myself that low level aerobic running was a good way to avoid injury and to get cut down by a supermarket trolley wielding fiend is not how it should end :/ - she didn't even say sorry!!

• I was keen to finish December on a high note to encourage the graph towards next year

a very modest ambition but showing progress from the July nadir!