Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Graham  - always good to try out a new course. We'll have another one opening in Sussex soon. I don't know the Brighton guy that's done the 300 events but that's pretty impressive. There's 4 different course in Brighton and one suspects he's not done many of his 300 on the hilly one! (Agree with you questioning the wisdom of tackling a parkrun on the day before the VLM.)
    Some parkruns are hugely over-subscribed. There's one near me (Bognor) that was getting rather congested when it reached 150 runners - but I looked the other day and it's nearer 400. I don't know how they cope, as it's narrow, twisty and with many laps. The one I did on Saturday was so small and informal they only realised that no-one was there to do the bar-code entries after the first 10 runners were finished - and one of them volunteered.

Ray - that sounds like a very good evening!
  • Ray
    I do believe that they (HRMs) are getting less robust in terms of HR whilst bolting on all sorts of bells and whistles that are no practical use just because they can!!
    My old 305 (the brick) produced flawless HR readouts for years and years and I only reluctantly put it to one side when the connection point got too corroded.  The 410 has never been as reliable and your experience with the 235 seems similar which is a shame

Sounds a good pub although 26.2 miles for a pint is a poor exchange ;)

You are right about garage clearing - and I have more to do........  and tomorrow I have to lay a trail and then run it with the Hash so that is 8-9 miles overall.

Graham
    yes I do know Gibside well. I used to run the Derwent Trail in marathon training from Swalwell up to Consett and then back down which was a lot easier than going up!!!
    Lovely part of the world but pretty taxing so the parkrun would have given your legs a good workout :) .  Good going.

Tonight's the night.................. :s

John
    adders!!!  You can keep 'em. If it came towards you it was probably an adder as grass snakes tend to be very shy - not that I hang around much when I see a snake of any variety.
    I know what you mean about Foster but it's pretty difficult to talk about running for 4 hours !!

Welshpoppy
    11 miles when not feeling like it is tough stuff!!
    I shall have to find some more hills as I only did 175m of climb :(

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    John, I would have been traumatized if I'd come across that snake, especially if it had a go at me. I've seen a few in the Cheviots but at walking pace you have a bit more warning.

TS. you're in for a chilly run this evening if it's as cold down your way. The 305 is the only watch I've owned, for seven years now, and it's still going strong. I don't mind its larger side as the figures are easier to read. I've bought another Garmin for my bike. A basic one just giving distance, current and average speeds but it's all I need. It does pick up the GPS quicker than my running watch.

Great night at St James Park! The biggest cheers at the end was for Rafa Benitez. Unfortunately I suspect he'll do a Keegan and walk out on us when he doesn't get the right backing form Ashley, but you never know. Like Hughton, he'll always be welcomed back.
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Graham-good night for your team Newcastle,i wonder if the usual ticket increase will happen now your back in the prem.

TS-busy day for you,the run this evening will help you relax I reckon.

Just a bit of gardening for me today,then track tonight.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    The 235 is a good watch apart from the HRM, but you can connect it to the old HR chest strap and you will get the same performance as the 305 etc. I have noticed that Garmin have increased the smoothing period to try and get rid of all the peaks but it does slow the response time. I use the raw data for my charts where the peaks are more obvious but the response time is better.

Graham,
    I don't think the relationship between injury time and recovery time is linear. I think it is more exponential that is the longer you take off the bigger the multiple is for recovery time. For example, off for a week and you need a week to come back, off for a month and you need two to come back.

We have lots of snakes around here but none that are poisonous. MrsMick6 has the same problem with snakes and I can recall when the boys came back from a snake hunt in the garden with their bucket full, all excited to show her what they had caught. I heard her screams from the other side of the house.

Mick

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    With the warmer weather here it is time for me to step things up a bit so yesterday it was 9.5k with a few fartleks thrown in. I am concentrating on trying to get some sort of rhythm and smoothness into my running.
    Here are my fartleks sessions, not too fast but definitely smoother.

10:22 AM Monday, April 24, 2017
    Gym9.5k, felt great no issues
    Run tagged as Fartlek
    Total Run Duration = 58:10,  Run Length = 9.5 Kms or 5.9 Miles

Selected Lap Detail
    Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km   Per Mile    AWHR      MWHR    Cadence  Slength(m)
     03     03:03     0.56     0.35      05:28      08:48     74.8%     80.0%       88.0        1.04
     06     02:08     0.42     0.26      05:07      08:15     80.0%     87.4%       91.0        1.07
     08     01:44     0.33     0.21      05:12      08:23     80.7%     89.6%       91.0        1.06
     11     01:47     0.35     0.22      05:04      08:09     85.9%     95.6%       89.0        1.11
     14     02:14     0.43     0.27      05:10      08:19     84.4%     91.1%       89.0        1.09
     16     04:24     0.81     0.50      05:26      08:45     86.7%     97.0%       88.0        1.04
     18     02:06     0.41     0.25      05:11      08:20     86.7%     94.1%       89.0        1.09

Totals and averages for selected Laps
    Lap  Duration     Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR      MWHR    Cadence  Slength(m)
     07     17:26      03.3      02.1      05:16     08:29      82.9%      97.0%       89.0        1.06

As you can see my stride length and cadence are a lot better. As already noted the peak HR data is useless but the average is not far off.

Mick 
  • Graham (and TS) - yes let me join Ray in congrats on getting back into the Premier League. I think the league needs Newcastle as much as Newcastle needs the Prem. As for BHA, a win in either of our two remaining games will cement top spot. And next season we might fall down the table like a bag of cement!

Mick  - by something of a coincidence the only other time I've seen a snake was in Canada. It was yellow. (I mean its colour not a reference to its courage.)

No training for me today (hence I'm a bit grumpy) but I'm planning to do my usual flat and fast parkrun course on Saturday and then a X-C  6K race  on Monday.
  • Morning

So newcastle are promoted back to premier league? I was shocked they dropped out in the beginning but somehow things never seem right at the club (son has supported them for   25 years)

Yesterday 7 miles for me not bad but jolly cold outside.

on my 230 I am warming to him and like all the extra data especially HR data so looks like he has past the probation  and will be staying:-)

Just getting ready to go and run another jolly cold morning!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Ray, to be fair to the club, they're keeping season ticket prices at the same levels as two years ago. They reduced prices this season by 10% because of relegation. I get a 20% discount for being over 65. So no complaints really. Have a good track session tonight. I've missed them in the last few months but have been having second thoughts anyway as two of the three injuries I've had in the last 18 months or so have been after track sessions. I may start going again to meet up with friends there but stick to distances of 800 metres or more. No quicker stuff. 

Welshpoppy, you're spot on about things never being right at Newcastle! Does your son have a connection to Newcastle or, like a lot of people who had us as their second club then, was he inspired by the Keegan years? Like you, I'm also getting ready to go out for a cold run. Thank goodness it's going to warm up in the next couple of days.

Mick, my recovery rule of thumb is based on my (thankfully) limited experience. I'm in no hurry to gather more data for a while! If you have snakes regularly in your garden, rather than rare visits, I definitely couldn't live there without getting therapy for my phobia. Your wife must be a bag of nerves if she's out in the garden but I guess she knows the places to avoid.

John, good luck for both your upcoming races. Monday seems late in the year for a x-c race. It shouldn't be too wet underfoot.
  • good morning

Welshpoppy
    nice to see the missionaries have done their work in South Wales :). Give us the boy and we will give you the man............
    It can be a painful experience being a Newcastle fan and the breaking news this morning about a HMRC investigation into transfers doesn't help!!!
    Good news that the 230 is settling down and the miles are building up.

Ray
    Hope it was warmer at the track than I found it last night!!

John
    X-country - the devil's work!!  Take care out there.

Graham
    I am with you on the snake thing!!!

Mick
    I can just imagine Mrs M's reaction!!
    very good workout for you - you were certainly pushing the aerobic envelope - and licking the glue-  on a few occasions!!

It was bloomin' cold here yesterday and my trail laying was delayed by the most monstrous hailstorm which turned the garden white in a matter of minutes.
    Ended up going out in Gore jacket and base layer and tights and was pleased that I did.
    Ran a tough 5 miles laying the trail mostly off road and finished just in time to do it all again with everyone else although this time I only had to do the actual trail which turned out to be only 3.5 miles but with 130m of climb in it.
    Decided this morning to have a day off..............................
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Graham-good that the fans are treated fairly,who are their through good and bad times.Very good point about track workouts regarding injury,i know a lot of people at my club shy away from it because of that.Also to be honest I've had my reservations to especially after the spate of calf injuries I got.The main reason I go to the track is because it is only one mile from where I live,so a good warm up and cool down.Reckon a tempo run of say 6miles is just as good so your right to be wary.

WP-Good you are happy with the 230 and making a friend of it.

Last nights track workout was 3x800  4x400  4x200 with 200recoveries between 800s and 100 recoveries between the other reps.Also I do like my 235 and think the HR data was a bit more realistic last night.

Distance       TIME         Pace     AvHr        MaxHr     Cadence Average
      0.50           3.20           6.50     120          133            177
      0.50           3.21           6.44     131          140
      0.50           3.18           6.33     135          145
      0.25           1.40           6.26     129          136
      0.25           1.38           6.36     132          138
      0.25           1.37           6.21     134          142
      0.25           1.37           6.20     136          144
      0.13            46s           5.59      127         131
      0.13            44s           5.41      128         134
      0.13            43s           5.53      124         131
      0.13            42s           5.26      127         132

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    TS-yes it was cold last night I had gloves on.A day off is deserved after your efforts yesterday.

Apologies for my post has gone out of line,it looked okay till I pressed submit.
  • Graham - big HMRC intervention at NUFC today so WP might have known something. (Are you in on it? You can tell me and I'll keep it to myself.) Isn't football just so tainted with a compete lack of a moral compass?
    Sensible to cut out the speed work but good to be back with your track mates.

Ray - are you preparing for a specific event? That session looks pretty hard-core.

TS - yes- you've had your summer up there. The weather has now defaulted to its norm. Keep the Gortex handy! Seriously I am such a wimp I'd find it very hard to venture out in those conditions. So this morning there's a cold, strongish wind here and that was enough to make me think twice.................

But a just under 5 miler for me in just under 37 mins - so quite pleased with that. And even more pleased to get it out of the way. Weather should be cheering up for the weekend.

• Graham
    There is a story behind his support of Newcastle when he was around 8 all the boy in his class supported Man United so for his birthday he wanted a man united top so I went to buy him one but,I have to admit I am never one to follow the herd and thought do I want to bring him up acting like a sheep just because his mates like Man United.In the shop I go and there standing out at me was a Newcastle united shirt I remembered Kevin Keegan and my dad who was not a big football fan always like KK so what is a girl to do she followed her instincts and bought the Newcastle shirt and that was the start of his suffering:-)...Poor boy he has supported them through the good and bad times but seems more bad times and there foreign players  who are paid big bucks and never perform. I thought KK had no staying power when things get though he would throw the towel in but Sir Bobby was old school and I liked him. But have no idea who the manager is these days.
    Our own team also wear black and white but he would not support them!!

Torque
    I heard it on the radio and thought here we go again because I think if caught they could get points deducted?
    Enjoy your rest day.........

Ray

Your cadence is pretty good mine in 165 but I keep saying i must try to have a quicker turn over of leg speed.

John: What can I say I had a vision:-) It is always the way I have seen the club and I guess they don't investigate unless they know for sure of some dodgy dealings. But yes football  and footballers seem so lacking in morals not all  I am sure!

Why do clubs who have worked there socks off get promoted with division 4 players who have served club with sterling service once in premiership it is as if these players are no longer good enough and want fresh foreign players!! clubs seem to forget so quickly(Swansea city is who I am talking about)

6.5 miles this morning long sleeved winter thermal top short sleeved top on top and gloves  and looks like even colder tomorrow morning!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    I had to laugh at your football shirt story. Men would probably spend many weeks discussing what team to support and still not reach a decision.

Ray,
    Impressive interval session, do you get any ill effects after? These days I seem to get a prolonged hangover from intense efforts, not any pain just no zip.

Yesterday was a comfortable recovery run, about all I could manage.
    Much better today but kept it slow and finished off with a set of strides.

Mick
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Welshpoppy, good for you going against the norm and picking out a Newcastle shirt, even if it meant your son has joined the rest of us suffering Toon fans. Someone I know who was born a Geordie and has lived here all his life supports Man Utd. That's just weird to me.

John, it's easy to be cynical about football at the higher levels and there's plenty to justify that. Sometimes one feels a mug to be a fan when so many players and club officials are just in it for the money. There's a group of people at my running club who follow local league football. No particular team, just choosing a different match to watch every week. I can see the attraction.

TS, you definitely deserve a rest after both preparing and running the trail. 

Ray, that's a very impressive track session. Well done.

Mick, always good to throw a bit of striding into the mix.

I ran a steady 6.7 miles yesterday, the furthest since coming back from injury. That's 25 miles in the past 7 days, whch is normal mileage for me. I'll dial back a little though. A bit of cross-training tomorrow as I'm joining some friends (and a couple of people I don't know) for a cycle ride. It's going to be about 45 miles or so. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up! They go out every Friday.
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    John,we have a series of 5x10k races in a mid-week league starting in early May,we compete against about 10 other clubs so quite competitive i hope to do at least four of these.

Mick,the workouts don't make me feel ill really,but i definitely feel the effects the day after.

Graham,good sensible training there.

Days of the old football bung,brown envelopes and the like the  mind boggles at what went on.
  • Ray - that sounds like a good reason to put in a few hard sessions. I occasionally turn up to the local league events that welcome unattached runners and when they publish the results, the scoring system doesn't seem to take age category into account - i.e. a runner seems to get points on times alone; indeed they don't even state a runner's age cat. Does your league adopt a rather more nuanced approach? I think it must be a bit of a downer that you could (theoretically) run a world record at 75 and get the same points as a half decent 25 year old!

5 x 500m hill repeats for me today. Tired!

• Rest day for me as off colour I went back to bed for  6 hours!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    WP,hope you are feeling better soon.

John,the league works in the way that all categories have 1st,2nd,3rd,places which is good.The proviso being that you need to run at least three of the races to count in the scoring for your category.Good set of hill reps John.
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Tonights run was 5.96 miles which was hard.

Mile    Time    AvHr      MaxHr        Average Cadence
      1        8:05    96           104                 184
      2        7:34    106         109
      3        7:43    108         113
      4        7:32    114         118
      5        8:03    119         120
    0.96     7:09    119         120    
  • Thanks Ray - that scoring arrangement sounds very sensible. Session looks hard although your HR seems lowish to my uninformed eye?

WP - oh dear. Overtraining or bug? Hope you make full recovery quickly.

I watched the 2nd part of the documentary on the runners with mental health challenges. It showed them running the 2017 VLM. It was very moving and there wasn't a dry eye in the (JB6) house at the end.

Rest day for me today but will be cycling about 20 miles.
  • Thanks I have a bug so another rest day and hopefully I will swing back in action tomorrow.
    I have not seen the documentary so will watch on catch up later both parts.

John: Does not sound a rest day if cycling 20 miles;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Late morning all

WP-another rest day will do you no harm.

John-enjoy the cycle ride,i haven't been on bike for years I think it has passed me by now.

• WP/Ray - managed the bike ride but very hard to find traffic free (or light) roads around these parts. It got the lungs going a bit when uphill but felt good afterwards. I think if someone (eg Ray) went back to cycling after many years the things you'd notice would be volume of traffic and the state of the roads.

Hope you (WP) enjoy the documentary; one of the participants (your fellow Welsh lady) had an almost painfully poignant back story. 
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Graham,
    We do have a lot of snakes but during the winter and summer you rarely see them. During the autumn however you see them out sunbathing. When I run my neighbourhood I often stop to pick them up and put them back in the grass as they like to warm themselves in the middle of the road. On the trail by the river which I run on most days you can often see some fairly big ones but the ones we have around the house are small green strippy ones that are completely harmless.

John,
    Cycling is very popular here and we have a lot of bike paths which is really nice. I can cycle from my house to the Houses of Parliament which is in the middle of the city without having to go  on a road. It is at least 35k from my house.
    We have a lot of empty roads around here but somehow we seem to have a lot of fatal bicycle accidents. The only real negative I have about cycling here is the roads are very straight which can get a bit boring.

Yesterday was a xtraining day for me so lots of upper body stuff done.
    Today a comfortable 5 miler along the trail as the flood water has receded but the river is fast and loud and pretty to look at as I jog past.

Mick 
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    John/Welshpoppy, we watched the second part of that marathon documentary last night. Really moving and I was definitely feeling choked as they finished, especially the lady whose child had died and who lost her husband too a few days later. Felt so sorry for those who'd picked up injuries and couldn't run.

Ray, very good pace for your 5 miles. You do have a low HR but I've noticed that before. Any races planned? You must be hopeful of putting in some good times on the back of your current training. As for cycling, I started again after a break of about 10 years so it's never too late.

Mick, I'd love to run with you on your trails, especially if you went ahead and picked up the snakes before I'd seen them!

I did a long bike ride yesterday, the first with a couple of friends from the running club and two of their mates I didn't know. I'd hit upon one of their longer ones and we'd done 50 miles by the finish. It's 15 years since I've done that sort of distance. They're stronger cyclists than me and it was a challenge to keep up with their pace but I didn't do too badly and they only had to wait a few times for me to catch up, and that wasn't for long. It was a mixture of country roads and tracks in County Durham. Not a part of the country I know well and I didn't have a clue where I was most of the time.

I'm not too bad this morning, just a little stiffness, but decided to rest and not do a planned parkrun. Hope to do a steady 8.2 miles tomorrow on one of my regular routes which I haven't done for many months.
  • Mick - sounds great cycling terrain. No risk of flood water here - been dry as a bone for ages.

Graham - good distance on the bike. If your pals are keen cyclists they've probably got really good bikes and of course that makes a heck of a difference. I cycled to and from the parkrun today as a bit of a warm-up/warm down and a guy went past me as if I wasn't there and glided off into the distance with seemingly little effort.

Today's parkrun - 20:39 so I'm now hitting some consistent times. However I didn't win my category as there was a visitor who edged me by 8 seconds. Had a chat to him at the finish and he hardly ever does 5ks and is much more of a longer distance specialist - where he'd eat me for breakfast. (I beat him on age grading though as he must be a couple of years younger than me!) Another huge field of 470 which is not a problem on our course as it is very wide and straight. Spoke to a running club secretary who told me that some of the 'open' league races are becoming really over-subscribed with one club planning to bring along 100 runners to the next event! Running is booming it appears.

• I have not seen documentary yet  will hopefully watch it today.

John: well done on parkrun time:-)

I actually made it out for 4 miles but my HR was sky high and watch told me 56 hours to recover...oops but I felt better for going and running:-)
    There is a 5k on Monday I never ever run 5k's they hurt too much last one must be 13 years ago so debated if I go and run this one just a low key race the Lord Mayor starts the race and hands out medals.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    John, another very good parkrun time. Nice one. Going back to bikes, to be fair my bike is pretty good too as I had it hand built. Not too much street-cred as a road bike as it has mountain bike size wheels (but with slick road tyres) and straight bars but it's lightweight and has a good quality Shimano groupset. Someone did admire my Brooks saddle though!

Welshpoppy, why not give the 5K a go - nothing to lose.