Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• alehouse
    well done on the x training :)
    If you want to continue that form I have a couple of lawns that need such treatment after the winter rain - they are more moss than grass!
    It was cold here yesterday as well - when the wind stopped it warmed up but then another gust would come along and it was back on with the outer layer.
    I wonder if it's due to the low angle sun - I have found myself nearly tripping over a few times when out early morning.  The sun has been bright and in my eyes and it makes the ground features difficult to pick out.

Yes indeed - where is NZC?  And Columba and Ray who hasn't been seen for a long time?  I had a long chat with Ceal on the phone this morning and she is well although getting bored with life!!

My legs were very reluctant to move his morning - I stopped after 200m to ostensibly read a planning notice but really just to give myself a break and felt a bit better for it when I moved off again.
    Bright and cold again as I plodded a weary 4 miles in 41:57.  AvHr was only 126 but I was tired throughout - and moire x training via extreme gardening planned for later on :/
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    My run this morning was very similar TS: just over 6k and it seemed hard work, not helped by the wind. Whole body feels tired: could be from gardening (back and upper arms), stretches (hips and hamstrings), yesterday's trip (wrists took the brunt of the fall) or whatever! Resting pulse rate and peak flow all good though. 

As I am confining myself to barracks apart from the daily run, daughter has kindly popped round and gone to the shops for my weekly big shop: makes me feel old and incapable! No contact with her though: she will just leave everything in the porch.
     All very strange!

Talking of contact, good to hear Ceal  is ok! I presume she isn't running. 

Was going to cross train in the garden but it is pouring! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    TS, Alehouse,
    All this gardening has to stop, it is interfering with the real stuff of life.
    It is good to hear that Ceal is doing well.

Well I went to the track but it was unusable. It was wet and the kids had gone around on their bikes and made a lot of ruts so I finished running around the block.

It is a 600m loop with a bit of a slope so not too evenly paced.

To make matters worse I screwed up my garmin on the first one but did manage to recover the pace of the 200m interval, 4:58.

However I did get some results from my garmin.

10:53 AM Monday, April 06, 2020
    BR 200+400+600+800 screwed up garmin, ran 2k warm up in addition
    Run tagged as ShortIntervals
    Total Run Duration = 21:12, Run Length = 3.0 Kms or 1.9 Miles

Selected Lap Detail
    Lap Duration Kms Miles Per Km Per Mile AWHR MWHR  Cadence Slength(m)
     04    02:04    0.40 0.25    05:10    08:19    79.0%   88.4%     92.0        1.05
     06    03:09    0.60 0.37    05:15    08:27    81.2%   90.6%     91.0        1.05
     08    04:13    0.80 0.50    05:16    08:29    84.1%   101.4%   90.0        1.05

Totals and averages for selected Laps
    Lap Duration Kms  Miles Per Km Per Mile AWHR MWHR Cadence Slength(m)
     03    09:26    01.8   01.1    05:14    08:26   82.0% 101.4%     90.8      1.05

Based on my new calculator I have work to do.

Distance       Actual Pace        27:30 Prediction    28:30  Prediction 

200               4:58 min/km          4:56                      5:06     

400               5:10 min/km          4:58                      5:08     

600               5:15 min/km          5:01                       5:11     

800               5:16 min/km          5:07                       5:18

I tried hard and have discovered that my max HR is a little higher than I thought.

I need to find a decent track to try them again.

Mick

• alehouse
    it is a strange world :/
    Ceal is not running but walking every day and getting mightily upset at the lack of consideration that other people show in terms of distancing.  She has been known to use strong words which comes as a bit of a shock to the recipients!!

Mick
    you are right about the gardening!!
    Pity about the track as it would have been ideal for your experiment
    Still a good first time effort on your intervals as it takes a while to get into the groove 
    I am surprised to see your HR going so high when I would not have expected you to be at that level over 800m.  Are you sure it wasn't just a spike?

Another lovely runner's morn out there today but I wasn't having any of it. I just couldn't face another 4 miles along the same route so I decided to run a 440 yd interval  - as you do when feeling completely knackered and out of sorts ;)!!

Nice tarmac path and ran it in 1:40 with avHR 118 and a max of 148 just to see what it felt like.
    Hard was the answer although I didn't push it  and then finished off with an easy shuffle home of 1.65 miles in 17 min for an indolent outing!
  • I have run every day and 7.3 miles this morning 74% WHR all fine here.

Good to hear Ceal is still walking if not running.I think we all are bored with this way of life.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - yes we are, but keep going, folks :) 

3.5 miles this evening - pleasantly warm, enjoyed running in T-Shirt & shorts. 
    just an out & back along a main road (but very few pedestrians or cars) - "strides" on the way back - but probably wouldn't have been apparent to a casual onlooker  :/  

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    good to hear you are well and still running.

TS,
    Nice and quick for the 440. Do you know what your cadence and stride length were?
    Here is my profile

It doesn't look like your typical spike. Now the course was not flat and there was a bit of a wind which may have accounted for it. Anyway I have adjusted my max up 4 beats to 190.

An easy 8k recovery run for me. I checked out another gravel track and this was in better condition, still soft with absolutely no spring. On the way back I remembered where I used to do intervals 35 years ago and checked that out. It is still very quiet dead end road with a slight gradient and it is about 700m long so long enough. I will use that in the future.

Mick
  • Dave: But you did the strides which is good news on knee promising news.Off course we keep going no choice as we all want to come out the other side.

Mick:Nice  run  and always nice to find new or old paths to use especially if quiet.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave
    LOL at your strides - we need a signboard to show what we are doing.
    It was good to be in shorts and tee shirt and again today.

Welshpoppy
    very good mileage - good going

Mick
    they don't look too spikey do they?  It's just that it keeps going up when I would expect it to flatten out and drop slightly when you reached terminal velocity!!

I was at an average 192 spm on the 440 starting off a bit slowly so probably more like 196 at peak probably aided by a slight downhill lie.

lovely morning again today and warmer than it had been with no cool wind to moderate the sun.

I ran a virtual trail that a Hasher had laid and uploaded on line and which passed my house so 3.54 miles in 34:27 (9:45m/m) with avHR 127 and a max of 140.
    All my usual hills but in a different order!!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    The world got a little stranger yesterday, having said my daughter was getting my shopping. At present she has her partner's parents living with them whilst they have an apartment refurbished; her partner's grandfather was rushed to hospital on Sunday with coronavirus symptoms. At 88 he was unlikely to survive so partner's mum visited wearing full protection gear. He passed away yesterday, sadly. And my daughter and the other three now have to self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days as there was an outside chance that the mother was exposed to the virus. So I will be doing my own shopping once a week!

Just over 6k the last two days, with just over 5 today, although pushed about a k of this. Max heart rate was 161, which is fairly high for me. Could have pushed harder but no intention to at present! Your 190 potential max sounds very high, Mick! I'm still in long sleeves, tracksters and gloves: protection for when I fall!

Hope there was no reaction to the strides, Mick

Did you go to the virtual pub after the virtual Hash, TS
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehouse
    sad news indeed.  I do hope they all come out of the isolation period unscathed.

You may need some knee pads as well :)

We had a Hash meet up on Tuesday evening courtesy of Zoom - everyone brought their own beer. We have done it each week so far since the lockdown and it gives everyone a chance to chat with someone outside of their own small circle and as some are single it gives them more contact.  Two bottles of Wainwright's IPA were consumed by yours truly and it felts as though one was drinking with friends :)

Lovely day again today - did some more extreme gardening :/
  • Sorry to hear the sad news Alehouse nd I hope your daughter and family can come out the otherside.

Torque that sounds like fun:-)

No run yesterday a rest day as I had a head cold so was a sloth all day.Today up and at it early 7.5 miles and I ran with the super moon for company.I never saw a soul out :) I did have to brave the village shop for eggs but all done although I could only buy half a dozen so will have to go back.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    you should have seen the attempts by those not familiar with video conferencing to sign in :) - now that was fun!!
    Are you a hay fever sufferer?  There is a lot of tree pollen around at the moment and I have woken up with sticky eyes & runny nose a few times recently.

Nice company for your long run.  It was certainly a brilliant moon here but this morning was misty.  Running with eggs could be interesting - don't do an Alehouse and spread them over the pavement!!

Back to the 4 miles this morning in 40:35 (10:07m/m) pace with avHR 126 and a max of 136. Included a 1 min walk spell cos I felt like it!!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse - sad news . . .    

Mick
    - that seems a perfect road for your intervals (hope you don't compare too harshly to your previous splits) !  

TS - virtual Hash sounds fun - and the ales were real (in two senses)  :)  

W.Poppy - well done shaking off W.Sloth(y) and returning to normal :)  - nice distance, too

rested Wed (knee caution) - awoke yesterday to immediate realisation of NO knee pain in night. Moved leg around - still  . . .  nothing.   Started aching during day, but did the 3.5 with strides again at teatime (still T-Shirt/shorts)  .  Annoyingly, knee pain back during night.  Will do exercises shortly, and decide later on whether or not to run.  

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave, 
    No knee pain is a positive sign as if you were bone on bone that would not happen.

Alehouse,
    Sorry to hear your news but we are being told here that there is still more to come so I hope your family  stay safe.
    As a young man my max HR was close to 200!!
    We had snow yesterday so still in winter gear but last Tuesday I was in shorts.

WP,
    It looks like we will have to shop again soon, it is not a positive experience but at least the shelves are well stocked.

TS,
    I have no confidence in my Garmin's HR function. Here is today's HR profile, total crap, there was no way it was that low.

I was running on trails for a lot of it so slow but not that easy.

Mick
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    My calculator is coming along nicely, reasonably stable. I am going to add a VO2 Max calculation for the reference run to see how it compares with my Garmin 235 estimate. I will use the Cooper 12 min formula and estimate the distance using my prediction model.

Mick
  • Dave:

That sounds like progress with knee-yay I am just going to look for my shorts :) I like the play on words you clever thing.

Mick:Yes I think things are starting to get back to normal apart from eggs,flour,yeast etc plenty of toilet rolls about.How is the weather?

Torque:

I suffered even worse this morning so hayfever it must be.I also suffer with the heat body does not cool down.

Nice pace and a little walk was it on a hill? :)

Nothing today I went back to bed with painkillers for my head but hoping tomorrow is a better day we have had 22 degree heat my body likes 17 degrees max.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    decided to go, as a lovely evening - 3 miles done.  On 10 for the week :)    

hope you feel better tomorrow, Poppy

Dave
  • Dave
    cautious good news on the knee :)
    You are keeping up with my mileage.........

Mick
    Do you have hairy arms?  I lightly shave over the contact area just to be sure.  I did compare my old Garmin with chest strap with the new one and they were within a couple of beats.  The 235 still has its moments but I know what my outputs should be and can spot them.
    S'no'w good!!

Welshpoppy
    sounds like classic hay fever symptoms :/
    Yes - I did the hard part and then had a little walk past the flower beds to admire them (as I told myself - it was a lie!!)

No run yesterday as I too felt a bit carp. However I did assemble a new gas bbq which was a long job - then realised that I had no gas and all the normal retailers were closed so my planned butterflied marinaded leg of lamb may be on hold..............

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Seriously hairy so I will give shaving my wrists a go, no worse than shaving my ears.

WP,
    The weather here is very changeable, one day really pleasant, the next snowing. By the end of the month it should settle down to just hot. At least the birds are back and the trees are starting to bud.  Of course that will be followed by lots of pollen and bugs. September is really nice here though, but it only comes once a year.

I got it into my head that I should try 5 x 400m today. Not sure why as it is windy and cold and I usually do it after a rest day. It was a mistake my times were crap.
    11:43 AM Saturday, April 11, 2020
    BR, 5 x 400, not good probably should have left them until monday
    Run tagged as ShortIntervals
    Total Run Duration = 51:19,  Run Length = 7.2 Kms or 4.5 Miles

Selected Lap Detail
    Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km   Per Mile    AWHR      MWHR    Cadence  Slength(m)
     04     01:59     0.40     0.25      04:57      07:59     72.5%     76.8%       92.0        1.10
     06     02:03     0.40     0.25      05:07      08:15     76.1%     81.9%       91.0        1.07
     08     02:08     0.40     0.25      05:20      08:35     68.8%     79.0%       91.0        1.03
     10     02:04     0.40     0.25      05:10      08:19     74.6%     86.2%       93.0        1.04
     12     02:12     0.40     0.25      05:30      08:51     76.8%     89.1%       91.0        1.00

Totals and averages for selected Laps
    Lap  Duration     Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR      MWHR    Cadence  Slength(m)
     05     10:26      02.0      01.2      05:13     08:24      73.8%      89.1%       91.6        1.05

The first one was ok but then I fell apart, probably could have tried harder but my heart wasn't in it, still 2k at a faster than usual pace.
     Try again next week.

Mick
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Stuck indoors on a rest day and I don't think the dog can handle yet another walk.
    I 've been working on my software project. Its looking nicely complicated.

I can copy the reports on to the windows clipboard with a click of button.
                      SUMMARY OF ENTRIES AND CALCULATIONS
    Personal Data for       Mick
    Gender =   Male,  Age = 73
    Resting HR =  48,   Max HR = 186
    Height =  1.86 metres,   Weight =  82.6 Kgs,   BMI = 23.9

Reference Run Data
    Distance =   5.0   Kms,  Duration = 00 : 27 : 30
    Avg Pace = 05:30,  Avg HR = 170,  Avg CAD = 180
    Avg StrideLength =  1.01 m
    Reference Run Age Grade =  66.7 %
    Reference Run VO2 Max = 37.49 ml per kg.min

Temperature compensation
    Temperature on run =   30 deg C, Compensated Temp = 16 deg C
    Adjusted Run Time at 16C = 26:48,  Adjusted Pace = 05:22

RACE PREDICTIONS AND TRAINING PACES(based on ref run)
    Race Time Predictions
    Predicted time for 5k         =   00:27:30,   66.7 AG% 
    Predicted time for 5 Miles    =   00:45:15,   66.6 AG% 
    Predicted time for 10k        =   00:57:20,   66.6 AG% 
    Predicted time for 14.7k      =   01:26:15,   66.3 AG% 
    Predicted time for 10 Miles   =   01:34:56,   66.3 AG% 
    Predicted time for Half       =   02:06:31,   66.2 AG% 
    Predicted time for Marathon   =   04:23:47,   66.8 AG% 

Training Times to meet Ref Run Time 
    Long Run Pace = 06:38
    Tempo Run Pace = 05:42
    Recovery Run Pace = 07:07
     200m Interval Time = 00:59, Pace = 04:56
     400m Interval Time = 01:59, Pace = 04:58
     600m Interval Time = 03:01, Pace = 05:01
     800m Interval Time = 04:06, Pace = 05:07
     1000m Interval Time = 05:15, Pace = 05:15
     1200m Interval Time = 06:22, Pace = 05:18
     1600m Interval Time = 08:43, Pace = 05:27

Any more info and I think my head will hurt.

Stay safe.
    Mick

• Mick
    there is a phrase - "too much of a good thing"  :)

well more extreme gardening for me involving long lengths of 4"x 3" preserved timbers being cut into lengths to build a mini retaining wall around a new wheely bin area - oh and digging out for said area through tree roots, heavy clay, rock and concrete!!

Of course being old school I cut all the timber using a handsaw rather than powertools but I will admit to using an electric screwdriver to scrfew it all together!!

As a consequence my 7 miles run yesterday turned into a 2.5 miles shamble enlivened only by a race against another runner (who didn't know he was in one!!) over the last 1/2 miles to my gate :)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    better luck next time, Mick :) 

TS - your "race" with the unwitting opponent made me smile . . . .   

4 miles on Saturday here - leg very sore for an hour or so post-shower, but thankfully settled down and allowed reasonable night's rest. Day off yesterday, so 14 for the week.  
    That's 4 weeks now of 3 & 4 milers (with one "long" run of 5  :/    

Dave
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Mick: my head hurts after reading all that data!

I hope you beat him, TS! And yes, gardening sounds tough! I'm doing a fair amount also! 

Birchmy current long run is 8k, and most other runs are between 4 and 6k. Last week I managed the dizzy heights of 34k, the highest for some time. And am currently quite happy with that as long as I continue to build slowly and remain niggle free. Not rushing things!

So today was, 8.13k, 47 mins largely off road with the route being basically 3 k out in a straight line; 5k back in a wide arc along the meandering river bank. Decided to run into the wind on the way out and have it behind on the way back. Well I got that wrong! Wind against most of the way back, and far too strong. Glad I was wrapped up in tracksters, gloves, cosy jacket!

A bit quieter today, but far busier than a usual Monday morning. Everyone very pleasant and understanding except the one woman who put her hood up, turned her back, covered her face and rushed into some bushes when I approached! Perhaps she didn't want to be recognised.

Back felt tired towards the end today so whether I continue later with my lawn project remains to be seen.
  • Mick September sounds lovely:-) and better luck at your next session :)

Torque:

I hope you won the race to your gate :)

Dave:

Well done on distance and restraint  don't worry you will be able to build up again.

I ran 9.11 miles yesterday over the hills happy with that although strangely legs aching from it so 6 miles recovery run today again on hills.No flatter route for me due to lockdown and cycle path is way way too congested.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Wow you must be really nightmarish as I can only manage to get people to step off the path, that is impressive. I assume that you had all your clothes on.

Pouring rain but off I went with freshly shaved wrist. It was even worse, my HR went off the scale, over my new max and it certainly did not feel like that in the early part of my run. I ran hills with a monster towards the end when garmin decided that would be my lowest HR of the run. 

I still have my old chest band I should give that a try. 
    MIck
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Plenty of clothes on today Mick! It was freezing! And I did shout "Good Morning" well before I went past. Think there are a lot of people around who are on edge.
    I'm using a Garmin 45 at present and the wrist based heart rate does seem pretty accurate, although by and large I only look at resting heart rate and the recovery after a run. 

Steady does it, WP!
  • alehouse
    you are lucky your old flame only hid from you - she could have tripped you up!!

It was rather chilly in the wind yesterday - it was straight from the north east so it had warmed up a by the time it got to you ;)
    Good run for you in any event - distance going up.

Dave
    you are nearly at my level now - just drop a mile or two!!

Welshpoppy
    good runs there - that is very nice back to back mileage 

Mick
    try a switch off on your Garmin and reset - that may clear it.  You are obviously getting dodgy readings - the last bit looked more normal.
    Welcome to my world of hills :)

I did win my "race" thanks :)  We had passed one another earlier in the day and came together again at a crossroad.  He was slightly behind me as we both turned onto the same road so I was running blind not daring to look back!!
    He was quite a way behind when I crossed the "finishing" line :)

Beautiful sunny morning here - but really cold in the same NE wind as yesterday so I chose to run on the sunny side of the route as much as possible!

4.03 miles in 40:33 (10:05m/m) with avHR126 and a max of 143 with the first mile all steeply uphill and then 2 miles of level/down and a mile back up for 71m of climb overall

Knees were stiff from too much kneeling over the last few days but otherwise ok
  • Torque:

Glad you won your race to the finish line was Mrs T there with some refreshment :) Gardening is bad for you:-)

I felt tired and sick so back to bed then out for a walk legs are very achy must be the hills and I ran last mile which was pleasing although long tights(put on for walking) was a tad too warm to run in.We did have a cold start 1 degree.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welshpoppy
    No refreshments - I believe she was still in bed!!

Take care there - it's no time to get ill.

Now this is an amusing story - 
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/14/man-accidentally-ejects-himself-from-fighter-jet-during-surprise-flight 
    - although probably quite frightening!!