What do we really think of this new site??

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if RW read this forum?.... As the not being able to post is kinda a biggy.  

Maybe some of the old guard could post something as a; if you're new here and want to ask a question...  Here's the place to do it?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    barneschar, just as a matter of interest, would you mind trying again?  I have just noticed you've now got two stars against your name (whereas my "new" account as still only got one star)....  I am wondering if these stars have got anything to do with being able to start new threads or not.
  • Big_G I can now see the 'new discussion' button. Hurrah! Thank you so much for your help. And to you MC.

Emmy I think that is a great suggestion so that you don't have new members like me clogging up threads asking how to post a new discussion.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    @barneschar, try the VLM 2017 thread if it won't let you create a new one. They are a friendly bunch there :)

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/323155/vlm-2017#latest

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Barneschar: it's a shame as this place used to be so welcoming before RW cocked it up! 

Good luck with London! 
  • @Emmy Definitely can see that - so many helpful people! Thanks so much :smile:
  • Just keep posting on here until the buttons appear ? It'd have been handy if they'd let you know though.
  • I am trying to put a new race on to the events page for my club. It used to be so easy. I am having to wait for someone from the event listing company to call me back. Has anyone else tried to put a race on and what success have you had?
    Thanks
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cougie, I think it's a time related thing, not a number of posts thing. IE, I think a user has to be a member for 2 days before they can start a thread (based on when barneschar joined the forum). 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    A lot of detective work underway!  Working out how to make buttons appear!

At some point we will work out what each level means, and what it entitles you to do.  I'm still waiting for someone to get four stars.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    T Rex: maybe we need to play? We like or be positive to one user and see what happens 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    If I can ever work out what's happening, I'll certainly post here about it.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's to do with number of days.  You only get 'anniversary' badges.  I think it is more to do with the 'comments' badges - the second 'comments' badge is after 10 comments so perhaps that triggers the ability to start threads?

At least that might prevent first-timers starting new threads on a subject when there is a perfectly good thread on it already existing (assuming you can find it ...)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    T Rex, I thought it may be comments but at the time my new account had 5 comments (to barneschar's 4) and they could start a new thread but I couldn't. 

I'm going to leave my new account and see if it later gets two stars without me posting anything, although I will login to keep it 'active'. Good fun, eh?!?!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I don't know how it works.  I just logged in to the new account, and got a notification to say I'd been promoted to Level 2, and I could then see that I could start a new thread with that account.  I don't know what the trigger was for the promotion to level 2 - it's doesn't appear to be number of posts as I hadn't posted anything new from that account, and it doesn't appear to be time based.  I wonder if it's to do with the number of times someone logs in, or visits the site?  I don't know.

Edited to add that I hadn't "liked" or "agreed" or anything like that with the new account.  I logged out yesterday and logged back in this morning and got the notification of two stars when I logged in.  Strange.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think they've done that so we don't get the kitchen and streaming offers.   I wonder if a new user has to be verified in some way before they can start a new thread.   I haven't seen kitchens on offer for a couple of weeks now

barneschar - there are plenty of suitable threads where you can ask your questions, there is a VLM 2017 thread, why not start there?
  • @SHADES That's what I ended up doing yesterday :smile:
  • Anyone worked out the magic formula for being able to start discussions? I'm still very confused
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Kitty - are you having a laugh? ;)

Runner - Nope... @BIG G - did you find out?

Is anyone else getting no notifications for threads and then 20 come in one go?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    RunnerBean - if you're new to the forum you can't start new threads as you might be trying to sell us kitchens or counterfeit money, see post above!   I don't know at what stage you are allowed to start a thread.

Emmy - I've disabled all email notifications, I find it easier just to check my bookmark page or the notifications at the top of the page next to my avatar.
  • ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    I haven't been on the forum in months...completely confused by this new layout. My profile says I've earned a load of badges, points etc? No idea what for. 
    How do I find latest posts/recent discussions? (Sorry if it's already been mentioned).
    BTW Shades - I'm the lady who has called you by your nickname at IOM marathon. No doubt see you again this year. 
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Shazmo - latest posts is here https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussions

Latest discussions is no more.

There used to be some sticky threads at the top of the latest posts, you can hide them somehow, I can't remember exactly how. They might not be there any more, I don't know how I would check.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Shazmo - come over and say hello before/after race next time.    I've already booked up for this year. :)
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    If you've only got one star you can't start discussions, that much I have worked out.

Not sure what triggers two and three stars.  No-one on four stars yet, it appears.

Shades, you in Connemara next month?  I'll be there for ultra no. 11.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    T-Rex - no, won't be at Connemara this year.   Will probably see you at Great Welsh?
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    To me it feels like they waited WAY too long to upgrade the forum - but when they did finally do it they upgraded to one from that is already outdated. It is pretty sad that a publication couldn't do a better job of layout and the look & feel of the site. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Kinda funny that the above post (Wilson) has managed to get through 
  • i was about to post and ask how i start a new thread but from reading posts in this thread , it seems its not possible for newbies.. which imo is a bit daft since the purpose of forums is for people who have a question !!
  • I know, I signed up to ask a question and can't work out how to!