New forum - profile privacy

Since I can't find the "report a bug" thread, this will have to do.

A fellow pirate was good enough to point out that clicking on a profile icon will reveal that person's e-mail address (as well as all the other usual info).
I haven't ticked the box to allow my e-mail address to be seen by other members, but it seems to show it anyway.
I've clicked on the profiles of a couple of posters I know, and can see their addresses too.

Is this happening with anyone else?
Tagged:

Comments

• Yes. This is horrendous.

THIS MUST BE ADDRESSED AS A MATTER OF URGENCY.

THIS IS VERY CLEARLY A DATA PROTECTION BREACH.

REPORTED VIA THE FORUM REPORTING PROCESS/FLAGGED AT 18:25 on 12/2/17
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • I would suggest as many people as possible click the flag/report button. This is not good enough. I, for one, do NOT want my email address to be publically visible.
  • I've flagged this thread to RW too
  • Oh, and while we're at it, not only e-mail address but also last used IP, which I notice is showing within posts next to the time of posting.  Why?
  • I've complained to Hearst via the Complaints link at the bottom of the page.  I don't know if that'll be more effective than other routes but they need to sort it straight away. 
  • i've also emailed them on their data protection email address with a copy of their own privacy policy!
  • Seems to have been sorted out. 
  • not from here it hasn't!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭
    I just clicked on a couple of folks that I know and no email address visible.   The only time I see an email address is when I click on my own avatar.
  • edited February 2017
    yours is s*****@r**.e******.co.uk

I can see everyones.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭
    You must have administrator rights then!
  • edited February 2017
    Not that I am aware of!... I have no other special privileges that I can see.... also, others could see email addresses as well... or is it just me now?

click on a user name, and in the row of info about that user, just after username is the email address
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭
    Magna - if I click on your name this is what I see...I've pasted this as it's not confidential.   I can't see any profile, just activity, comments, discussions

Magna Carter

About

Username
    Magna Carter
    Visits
    Last Active
    9:48AM
    Roles
    Pirate
    Badges

• interesting.... I can see an additional field after username, entitled email!
  • edited February 2017

SHADES

Username 
    SHADES
     Email 
    ********************** - changed for obvious reasons!
     Visits 
     Last Active 
    9:52AM
    Roles 
     Register IP 
    n/a
     Last IP 
     Badges 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭
    Magna - I've checked my profile and I don't have the box ticked to allow other forumites to see my email, you obviously have special powers.   RW do need to fix this, I don't mind you seeing my email address it's all the others ;)
  • Hee hee... I promise that I'll be honourable with everyone's email.... the problem is, who else can see what I can?
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Maybe pirates have admin powers?
  • poss!... I did wonder if it might be related to being a member of the group 'pirate'.... but Nursey above is also a member, and she can no longer see them...  I feel rather privileged! 
  • Hee hee... I promise that I'll be honourable with everyone's email.... the problem is, who else can see what I can?
    I can, for one. Everyone's profile gives me an email address. 

I can pretend I have some friends now, so it's not all bad. 
  • I'm harvesting all your emails for my next big scam. Cheers RW ! ;-)
  • Well, it was all OK at 7:30 this morning, but now the e-mail & IP addresses are visible again.

• Yup I can see everyone's email addy (and last IP address too), and I can assure you all that I have absolutely no super powers whatsoever (hell just check out my Maastricht times for proof of that!)
  • and still complete silence from RW/Hearst....

It does make me wonder, if they are so unconcerned about this, what their attitude is towards more sensitive information that they hold such as payment info for subs etc.
  • TrogsTrogs ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Just looked at my profile and edited it to uncheck the 'allow other members to see my email' box.  I'm 99% certain it was hidden on my profile on the old site so it looks like somehow during the data migration they've defaulted the setting to 'show'. Not good.

However, re-reading Nursey's origingal post, unchecking the box may not have made any difference :-(

Thread flag/reported
  • nope... your email is visible for me...
  • Hello... hello.... anyone there?

Hearst.... just like to gently point out that you are quite seriously in breach of your own privacy policy.... and several of us have emailed you, including on your dedicated data protection email address, as well as flagging this thread multiple times, and you STILL haven't even acknowledged us, let alone offered a response.

Come on... this isn't good enough
  • They appear to have sorted it.  At least, I can't see email addresses any more.
  • yep... sorted here too!
  • edited February 2017

Hi all, apologies for the delay in responding and thanks for alerting us to this issue. 

Please be assured it has now been resolved so none of your email addresses should be visible. 

We take protection of personal data very seriously and have looked into how this occurred.  

To explain, we had to create a unique account for pirates and this had some default admin permissions associated with it that we were unaware of. 

Email addresses were not visible to users, just those with the pirate tag who could see these details. This was an error on our behalf and we apologise – it was rectified as soon as we became aware of it.

Thanks,

RW