Calf Problems - Getting kinda desperate!

Hi all.  I am on the verge of going to the hospital to speak to a Doc but thought I would try one last thing and ask for advice on on here.

So I love running but get pains in my calves that stop me from doing so continuously outdoors.  I basically have to stop after just 1-2k depending on how soon it kicks in, rest for a minute, repeat.  It completely ruins the running experience.  Skipping is severely hampered too.  The pain subsides quickly when I stop.

I would compare the pain to a burning sensation or even verging on a cramp-like feeling (it never develops into actual cramp).

The weird thing is that I don't get the pain at all on the treadmill.  Also, I now live in Thailand (hot and humid) while when I was in Malta (hot not so humid) and would go out running late at night, I didn't have this pain.  My calves are much more developed now than they were then so I can't see it being to do with having weak muscles.  I am far from an experienced runner but when I lived in Malta, I would go on 10k runs and not get this. My running route was more difficult too (at the moment I'm just trying to run around a lake and the ground is flat concrete).

I have tried eating bananas prior to runs incase it was a potassium deficiency.  I even tried eating salt incase it was lack of sodium.  Compression socks aren't helping.  I have tried three different pairs of running shoes that all fit me well.

Does anyone know what this might be?  Could it be humidity causing it?  I can't think of anything else seeing I am OK on a treadmill in an a/c gym and was OK on very hilly roads in a less humid climate.  I do drink quite a lot of water - could this be causing some sort of mineral deficiency?

This is driving me nuts so any thoughts are appreciated.

Comments