HM & Hydration

Hi, as mentioned, first HM in May, but no experience on longer runs and hydration
I assume that with a HM you will need to provide your body with fluids during the run, but what to use, and would you already use it during the training runs, so you become aware of what works for your body?

Sorry if this sounds daft, but I can imagine things going wrong during the event when the proverbial might hit the fan

Comments

• I ran a HM this week and didn't need any hydration. The splits and effort was balanced so I don't think it had an affect. But that said, the weather was very cold so not much fluid was lost through sweat. You'll be running in May so it will be a different story - start properly hydrating at least the day before & drink before the race (but stop enough in advance to use the loo & so you don't need to go on the start line - maybe 2 hours?) I'd then judge it by heat and effort. Presumably the HM will have water stops so why not take on a bit at each? When I ran a June Marathon, I carried the bottles handed out at stops for a good half mile whilst sipping steadily. People say drink to thirst but I found it useful to judge based on the conditions and the type of racing. Others may disagree but water is fine as your body should have enough glycogen etc. to get you round a HM. Maybe pack an isotonic drink for ease in recovery afterwards (though I daresay a banana and water is as effective).
  • Cool, thx for advice