SW Coast Path - best 50 miles?

I'll be spending some time in the SW in the summer, and am not familiar with the area at all. I'd like to do my first 50 miler on the coast path. Any suggestions for which section would be the best? I prefer single track semi-technical trails. Hills are fine, but endless up and down steep ones might put me off! Preferably not too tourist clustered, as it will be June/July. Thanks!!

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    You'll find most of the path is undulating, whichever part you choose!

I presume you mean a training run/own challenge?  There are also races such as the Classic Quarter (44 miles, 10 June).

In terms of quietness for your own run I would say your best bet would be the Barnstaple to Bude section which is about 56 miles.  Starts off easily enough along the estuary but from around Westward Ho! onwards becomes much more technical.

You'll find the path is exceptionally well maintained and signposted, and the scenery stunning.  I would advise a tick remover in your kit.

• Awesome, thanks! I am talking about my own run, yes. I like being out by myself, not always spending lots of money on organised events.

Looking forward to getting down there in June and checking it out :)
  • QBQB ✭✭✭
    we'd all have personal favourites!

I'd go from knowledge for say Abbotsbury across to end of Studlands, which I reckon is about 50.

Start is flat by Fleet through to Portland (relatively for SW CP as was said above is not flat), Portland not too bad, flat through Weymouth (will be busy but not a long stretch and could be used for refuelling), then picking up hills from Bowleaze up White Nothe rollercoaster passed Durdle Door and still tough from Lulworth to Swanage, but some real top sights and challenges.