First-time marathon questions...

Hi all,

After getting 'the bug' late last year, I ran a 10k in December in 59 mins and am currently training for a half marathon that's in 4 weeks (Hampton Court), I ran 10 miles last weekend in 1hr35 so I think I'm not doing *too* bad?

I'd like to do a marathon this year and I have been looking at Richmond as it's in September and nice and flat. But they have a 5 hour time limit which makes me nervous. My questions are...

- am I on track to complete it in that time based on what I've written above?
- does the 5 hours start from when the first person starts or when I (and my chip) start? I have emailed them asking but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Wait until you hear from the race organisers as to how strict they'll be with the cut off.    Going by your 10 mile time a sub 5 hour marathon is well within your capabilities but of course it does depend on your marathon training.   Your half marathon race time will be a better indicator of what marathon time you could aim for.

You could just choose a marathon that has a more generous time limit, look at previous year's results and you will see what time the last runner finished.
  • Thank you! I decided to register as I didn't hear back from them and I wanted something to aim for. I'm hoping the restriction will spur me on.

Thanks again :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good news on the race entry.   Look at last year's results, I bet there were quite a few over 5 hours, sometimes there will be restrictions such as 5 hours, often it's either to pacify the police for any traffic problems or to discourage walkers who may choose to potter round in 7 hours, a long time for the marshals to be out there.
  • I did the HM there last year - it was the same finish - and there were loads of people over 5 hours. They kept the finish line open and I don't think there were any road closures (there weren't for the HM) and they are very aware of refreshment needs. You can find the results here https://www.richmondrunningfestival.com/race-results/#body
  • Thank you, both. That's really encouraging and great to see some people finishing in 6hr20! Are you there again this year? Thanks again. I'm excited already!
  • I'll be doing the half again. It's a really nice event - completely flat and almost no road, mostly along the river. And the set up at the end is really great with loads of beer tents and stands and stuff. The only downside is you arrive at Richmond Park and can see the finish and you have to plod the last km round a field in sight of the line... But the back of the pack people still get a proper finish and they put the medal around your neck rather than you having to fish around in a carrier bag for it. Great bling too!
  • Brilliant, that sounds really great. It will be my first marathon so I'm expecting a tough summer of training; for the first time I am hoping for rubbish weather! Also hope I can buy a shirt there as they seem to have already sold out of my size online. Grrr. What time are you expecting for your half? I have Hampton Court in 2 weeks. Did 12 miles in 1hr59 today.
  • I would love to do 2 1/2 hours but I think that's a folorn hope. I told you was at the back!!
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Should be comfortable with your sort of pace :-)
  • Haha! You are one of my inspirations for attempting a marathon myself, Booktrunk.
  • Thank you both, I'm feeling inspired. 2 1/2 hours would be awesome, good luck!

Nervous about the Hampton Court half in just over a week. That 12 miles was really painful on my hips and knees in the last 2/3 miles. Suddenly felt very nervous about doing a full one! I suppose I will strengthen up during the training? I'd better!
  • I've not done the Hampton Court one but I assume it will be completely flat. You'll ace it!
  • Thank you :) I think I will survive it. But I am nervous about a full marathon in September. I'm not sure how to get my lower body strong enough to cope with it. My hips and knees were really sore towards the end of that 12 miles. Not after though. Which I suppose is good?
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    So how is your training going ? I guess you are tapering now. What was your longest run in the build up? 

Remember if it's your first race it's very easy to get caught up in the hype and start off to quick, also try to find your way to the right start point to far forward and you have grumpy people overtaking you in a rush, and if right at the back you might have to overtake some :-) So learning where to fit in, becomes a bit of an art. Easy for the slowcoaches right at the back and relax :) 
  • Hey booktrunk! Thanks for checking in. I just came online to check out some tips for Sunday and here you are :smile: So yes, my first proper race apart from a 10k in December that was 59 mins... The half is on Sunday and I'm *hoping* for 2hr15 but I think that would be really good. The longest run I have ever done was 12 miles the Sunday before last in 1hr59 mins. I am following the bupa half plan as it worked for a friend. Was planning on doing the intermediate full plan for the marathon I have signed up to in September. But that's getting a bit ahead...!

1hr59 for 12 miles hopefully means I can achieve this half in 2hr15. But whatever happens, I'd never run before October 2016 so I'm pretty chuffed to be even considering this!

Thanks for the great advice re pace and fitting in. I am going to aim for the same pace I did the 12 in and try to stick to that the whole way. Can't hope for much more at the moment I don't think. 

Thanks again!