Options

Sunday 26th February 2017 - It doesn't hurt me

Morning.

Lyrics - It doesn't hurt me

Sounds as though you missed the tree hurdle Dustin but had a good day out.

I'm at that difficult stage when I need to decide whether to try a very little run. I think I'm walking without a limp now and the hip joint has settled but the quad/thigh is still bruised , sore to touch and feels weak after prolonged use (walking). Had an email conversation with physio yesterday and she was happy for me to give it a go with ice and compression afterwards. If I wait until it feels 100% back to normal it could be another week or more. If I try to do too much too soon it could delay recovery. I'll make a decision when I've seen how it is on Grace's morning walk.

What:                something or nothing
Why:                 see above
Last hard:         knowing what's the right thing to do
Last rest:          25/2

Yesterday's lyrics - China In Your Hands - T'Pau.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning.

LMH - Good news that you are at least walking without a limp.  As you say see how it feels after a walk and if you do decide to give it a trial just do 5 -10 minutes on a soft surface.  Good luck with your decision!

Dustin - Well done at the xc.  Those that went from my club seemed to really enjoy it!

What: 22 miles with some marathon effort
    Why: marathon training, although I feel like I'm still not doing enough overall mileage!
    Last hard: out of memory
    Last rest: nearly yesterday, but I forced myself to jog 3 miles

Lyrics, no, but I should've known those from  yesterday!

Anyone racing this weekend?

I was going to do Tarpley 20, which is a 3 hour drive to Suffolk.  BR had a scratchy throat yesterday and the conditions don't look great and I've had this sciatic issue so lots of excuses meant stay home and run. Have a good day all. :)
  • Options
    Morning

What15.73
    Why LSR
    Lyrics think so but may resort to Google.
    Last hard probably the last 12 months of recovery along with the previous 12months or so of decline.

LMH would it be possible to do an out and back of up to 2 mile total from your home? That way if your injuries become uncomfortable you wouldn't have far to get home or be rescued.

Hilly which marathon are you doing?

Dustin well done on the XC yesterday. 

Long run was ok to a point this morning. Went through 13.1 at 1:46 and completed in 2:08 about 18 minutes slower than I used to manage. Will see how things go through March before considering whether or not to do the full or half at Stratford in May.
  • Options
    Sounds like the right decision Hilly, it's a lot of time and money to run a race you've no investment in.

You're faster than me at the minute postie! Great minds and all that too (see below).

There may be a glimmer of hope. Once I got going this morning I was walking without a limp so I headed out for a slow (definitely not as easy as the pace would suggest) two miles. I don't have a full range of movement in my hip, my quad is weak and my knee felt occasionally as though it were going to give way. Leg didn't feel great on the walk home but after icing followed by a soak in the bath it's back to how it felt pre-run so ice and compression for the rest of the day and see what happens overnight. Fingers crossed this is the start of the road back and it doesn't take long to get up to distance, and preferably speed, again. Physio did say that it was going to be sore when I started running again so it's a question of what I can manage without my gait being wrong and not doing any further damage. The tape is off and there is still a lot of visible bruising so I guess healing is still in progress.
  • Options
    LMH slowly, slowly catchie monkey!
  • Options

LMH: That is a good start but do take it slowly but great news :)

What: 4.3 miles
    Why: Sunday is a short day
    last hard: Yesterday's run
    Lyrics: Yes
    Last rest:17th(ssh my body has not realised it has missed it regular rest day)

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Morning!

Slowly does it, LMH!

Still a good long run, Postie!

Sensible decision, Hilly. Hope the 22 went well.

What: 36 mins off road. Mud, puddles and windy.

Why: typical Sunday. Longer tomorrow, hopefully.

Lyrics: no

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Yay well done LMH, though take it easy!
    RFJ just read about your daughter, so glad she's ok, though I hope mentally she also recovers well as that definitely can take time after such an accident.

Yesterday was 5.5 hours in a train for a reunion with old friends.  Was so lovely to catch up but no time for run.

Today: decided to join the Sunday morning running group despite feeling like I'd rather stayed in bed.  Wow, I'm so glad I did.  17 km along a beautiful route and the best bit was it didn't even feel like I had run that far (it does now though!).  Let's see how the calf reacts to that tomorrow.

Have a great day all.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all (just)
    LmH - baby steps, at least it's a run! 
    I think you'll be surprised how little you've lost/how quickly it comes back.
    I'll not deny that you've possibly missed the improvements you desire, but I believe you're still capable of a time most of us would love.
    Hilly - sensible. After a 6hr round trip yesterday I've decided that it's not worth it for anything other than key races / events.
    what - 17 miles easy. 5 on my own, 11 with the village group at a steady 9m/m, mile jog home. Not deny it was hard on tired legs but it's the 17 on the schedule ticked off.
    why - schedule told me to.
    last rest - 6/12
    last hard - yesterday/today
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I need to be running 20 rather than 2 though, but it's better than nothing and I have to start somewhere.

Hope the calf behaves itself emzap. Nice to have a run like that.

Good going on tired legs Dustin.

We won't tell if you don't Poppy:-)
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Ale/Ollie are South Manchester parkrun or Stretford parkrun ones you've done?  If you fancy them in a couple  of weeks, let me know :)  Ale, just shoot me an email if you're keen.
  • Options
    Emz: we have both done both. Stretford is one of the fastest in the country, and South Manchester isn't far behind! Let me know when!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Yay, LMH <3 that's good news!!

Right decision, hilly.

Nice 17k em.

And good long runs postie abd Dustin.

What: 7 miles and some yoga to cool down
    Why: good stuff for body and mind
    Last hard: ages ago
    Last rest: 17/2
    Lyrics: yes, great artist :)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good news LMH and a step in the right direction.

pp - Manchester was the plan, but not sure after today.  Set off for 22 but the issue I've had with glute/hamstring/sciatica prevented being able to extend my leg, so had to abandon run at 4 miles.  Hopefully, physio tomorrow will help, but mileage the last few weeks hasn't been good and now I'm losing confidence.

Sounds like a nice run, emzap!

Good going Dustin after xc yesterday! 

So I'm not quite sure if I'm injured, but running was way too uncomfortable this morning.  My heart rate shot up even at a slow pace as the effort to extend the leg was too much.  Managed to send a FB message to physio and got an appointment for after work tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hilly, do you have a back up race or will you wait until Autumn?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    pp - no back up race, but hoping to get sorted give it a go.  Fingers crossed. :)
  • Options
    What: just a swim
    why: busy day yesterday
    last hard: getting going
    lyrics: no

• Options
    Sorry to hear that Hilly - hope the physio can sort you out.