Need Advice- Training for RAF Fitness test

Okay so i was attempting to join the air force around a year ago and failed my fitness test, i did the run and press ups - but couldn't complete the sit-ups

this obviously demoralized me a lot and now i wish to get back into it and try to join up again

The test is:
1.5m run in under 11:11 (on a treadmill)
20 press ups
35 sit-ups
there's a minute break between the run and the press-ups/sit-ups
So my question is:

Whats the best way to get back into it as i haven't trained for over a year? And also whats the best way to train in order to have enough gas to pass my test

All advice is greatly appreciated.

let me just add - i plan on spending around a year building my fitness up
Tagged:

Comments

• Are you sure its really for you if you've spent a year not exercising? 

Taking things steady and building up gradually is always best. So start running at a nice easy pace and ramp up along the way. 

I'd start with two or three runs a week to begin with and build up the milage. Pace will come later. 

As to the other fitness needed - again build up gradually until you can more than exceed their requiremnts. 

Consistent training will get you there. You need a good base before you introduce the speed. 

• cougie said:
    Are you sure its really for you if you've spent a year not exercising? 

Taking things steady and building up gradually is always best. So start running at a nice easy pace and ramp up along the way. 

I'd start with two or three runs a week to begin with and build up the milage. Pace will come later. 

As to the other fitness needed - again build up gradually until you can more than exceed their requiremnts. 

Consistent training will get you there. You need a good base before you introduce the speed. 

The main reason i gave up training was i injured myself about a month after my test and could just never get back into it, i still do go to the gym, i just don't train like i used to.
  • So if you're going to the gym still - can you do the upper body stuff they want ? 
    And if you can - then you can concentrate on the running. 
  • I recommend making yourself a 3month training plan taking the fitness test every other week or so.
    Speaking from personal experience- I applied for the Royal Marines with absolutely no proper running experience besides a few sports through school and all I done was weights since I was 16years old. I'm 20 now and when I started trying to pass their PJFT which is, like yours, on a treadmill I got smashed by shin splints and I couldn't even complete the first run which was a warm up run at 1.5miles 12:30mins 2% gradient. I'm also 5"10 and weighed 91kg. After months and bloody months of recovery, doctors, physio, hospital the shin splints finally died down.
    Sob story over.
    So I designed myself a 3month training plan. Running 5x a week. Taking the PJFT every other week increasing gradient by 0.5% each time. And making sure to STRETCH before and after every single workout. Each week changed slightly to the last but in general I had 2 speed interval sessions a week (these started 1min 15kmh / 2min 6kmh / 0% gradient, then ended at 1min 18.5kmh / 2min 6kmh / 2% gradient) for 30minutes, 1 hill interval session a week (there is a steep hilly area near where I live and run up, across, down, turn around, repeat), 1 endurance run a week or twice on weeks without PJFT (this was a 5mile outdoor run) I started not being able to complete it to now finishing in around 40mins, 1 tempo run indoors (0-2% gradient as I progressed) or outdoors (this was a 3mile run which took me 30mins to start then about 21mins after). 
    I haven't finished my 3months yet- in the middle of my last month. I've dropped to 80kg and even though a lot of my previous physique has deterrierated I still feel strong and loads more agile than before.
    My test time now is: 1.5miles 12:30min 2% gradient / 1.5miles 9:50mins 2% gradient.

Dont throw yourself at the challenge otherwise you get injured and it takes much longer then need be. What I wanted to show you here is that with a set goal, time, patience and most of all dedication you will pass it. Lots of people like myself have been in similar positions to you now wondering how to do it with a lot of cocky people on the internet just saying that you should be able to do it. It doesn't work like that and there is no magic pill (bummer). The longer you wait, the longer it'll take. Make yourself a plan- everyone's different so don't expect mine to work perfectly for you but take inspiration when making your own. 

Good luck!!!