I'm fat. My tummy wobbles. My boobs jiggle. What do I wear?

OK.  Here goes.  I'm fat.  I know I'm fat.  I'm 5ft 6.  17.9 stone.  Under-active thyroid, polycystic ovaries, fibromyalgia and more to the point; I've been a lazy cow for years.   Blah blah blah - no excuses.  
So I've been building up to running for a while.  Gone from no exercise whatsoever, to walking the dog, to tonight for the first time in my life - running - part of the route anyway.  (In the dark, so that no one would see me!)
What was immediately apparent was that the leggings I was wearing were not staying up over my massive wobbly belly.  To say that my belly wobbled,  is probably understating it slightly.  It flopped up and down so much that my leggings fell down and I had to stop repeatedly to pull them back up again.  To be fair slowing down/walking every now and again to try to stay decent was welcome, coz I was knackered!  
I was expecting my 38G boobs to jiggle nicely - but I'd forgotten about my belly.
I have no idea what to wear on my feet either.  I was wearing walking shoes tonight.  But I suppose there must be some sort of running shoe for the fat lass at the back?
Help!
Tagged:

Answers

• Feet – walking shoes are probably OK to start with, when you’re still walking, running shoes will help as you speed up, probably buy what you can afford first rather than expensive ones, do buy them a size bigger than you normally wear so that your toes don’t bash the end.

Leggings  - sorry, no idea!

Boobs – I’m no  expert :) but I’m told by those who are that a sports bra makes a huge difference. I did see a good article about them a while ago, I’ll try to find a link and add it later.

If you’re concerned at being seen out in public running then parkrun (parkrun.org.uk/events) is the thing to do, you’ll be with a group of people who are supportive and some of them will have started like you. Don’t be put off by the racing snakes at the front, there will be people walking towards the back and a tail runner who’s job it is to be last so that you aren’t, you’ll be encouraged and if your local event is multiple laps it’s fine to start by doing 1 or 2 and working your way up to doing it all.

If you have doubts, read this – a report from someone similar to you. If you arrive at a parkrun and aren’t sure, have a chat with the organisers, they can introduce you to the tail runner and other slower runners/walkers, it might be scary week 1 but you’ll soon get used to it.

http://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2016/12/08/the-most-amazing-feeling/

Also have a look here http://toofattorun.co.uk/

Most of all, just get on and do it!

• Second John's comments about Parkrun. It is incredibly inclusive and supportive, and you'd be made very welcome.
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Shock absorber ultimate run bra - fantastic - nothing moves.  Best I've ever worn.

For the belly, a couple of options - you could try cycling bib shorts/leggings, which are a bit like a leotard with legs (try www.wiggle.co.uk), or perhaps a maternity bump band - I wore mine for a long time after my kids were born to stop all the loose bits wobbling.

And #3 for parkrun. It's amazing.
  • You can either go with conventional tracky bottoms (I like Puma for softness) with a drawstring waist, or go the compression gear route. Compression tights are expensive though (around £70) which is a lot if you're planning on losing weight and dropping dress sizes. But they will stay up and, since they don't move around as much as regular gear, they minimise chafing.
  • I am 32gg & wear Panache underwired sports bra. Sounds wrong, underwire in a bra, but they're amazing. It's like wearing a harness. 
    I'm also a generous size 14 with a backside & I have always found the lycra legging stuff just doesn't stay up. I opt for lycra based jogging bottoms or cropped ones with elasticated bits round the knees. If you're conscious of your tummy, just wear a long t-shirt. The most important thing is you're getting out there, what you wear should be comfortable, not fashionable. 
  • Hi. I'm a 38G and use the shock absorber bras which are just brilliant. You may bed to order online as shops normally only stock up to F. Maybe they should make pants too? I use drawstring stretchy bottoms because I found the same as you, elasticated waistbands roll down. Great to hear someone else experiencing the same as me! Keep going...
  • Definitely a shock absorber run bra. You can get them from amazon. If you're between 2 band sizes, I'd go for the bigger size. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shock-Absorber-Womens-Run-Sports/dp/B00UUGDHAO/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1488574037&sr=1-2&keywords=Shock+absorber+bra+38g&th=1&psc=1

Leggings etc - sports direct do loads of cheap running gear - leggings, tops etc. The leggings are good and stretchy, and the have a tie around the waist if you need it - so they will stretch over your tummy and stay up!

Agreed re Parkrun. So welcoming and supportive to runners of all ages and abilities.

Shoes - basically trainers. Sports direct again have a large selection labelled "running". If you've a running shop near you, you can go and have your running style analysed and have some shoes recommended, but the cynic in me thinks it won't be the cheap ones they're recommending!
  • Tracey033Tracey033 ✭✭✭
    Shock absorber ultimate run bra - fantastic - nothing moves.  Best I've ever worn.

I agree with Nessie - worn them for years and just can't find anything better. It's amazing the difference a good bra makes  :).  As for shoes I've always had feet issues so I go for max cushioning. Main thing is keep going and just enjoy yourself

• My Dr has told me I'm not allowed to run now.  Thanks for all your comments though.  I'm sure they'll help someone else.  
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Shock absorber run pro bra :-) they are great, wobbly bits elsewhere, whatever you are comfortable with, when I started I used layers :-)
  • Thought I'd weigh in on this discussion as a relative newbie runner who has tried a few things out over the past year of starting running! I'm a size 16 (was 20) and DD (was G) bra. I started with drawstring 3/4 length jogging bottoms and large mens t shirts as I find they come up longer and cover more ;) I also wear a bumbag (cool I know) but I have to have something to keep my giant android phone in and also find it helps keep my tummy in check. I have run in a £30 pair of reeboks for most of the year and they've been fine and got me through my first 10k last summer. However I did recently get my gait analysed at a Sweatshop, and it was worth every penny. I've now got a nice pair of brooks ghost 9s that are like heaven to run in. Bra-wise, I swear by M&S, I didn't like any of the shock absorbers I tried on, and found them overpriced and made my boobs funny shapes. I can't post a link, but the one I have from M&S is grey and pink and zips up the front. I love it because I have short arms and I find it impossible to put a sports bra on over my head and do it up behind my back, it has a zip at the front so it is supportive but you can still get out of it easily. Clothes-wise, I have moved on to a sweat-wicking t shirt, (stops as much heat rash/chafing) however I tuck this in coz I find it more comfortable and stick a big t shirt on over the top. My leggings have a wide waistband and I went a size smaller, I find this works perfectly for me. Have tried different socks, the best trainer liners are the double-lined ones. But if you can, just buy proper running socks, you'll save yourself blisters. Oh and get a hairband, I should have bought one way sooner. The less distractions the better. I really hope this helps those starting out and unsure what to wear.
  • > @fatgirlrunning17 said:
    > OK.  Here goes.  I'm fat.  I know I'm fat.  I'm 5ft 6.  17.9 stone.  Under-active thyroid, polycystic ovaries, fibromyalgia and more to the point; I've been a lazy cow for years.   Blah blah blah - no excuses.  
    > So I've been building up to running for a while.  Gone from no exercise whatsoever, to walking the dog, to tonight for the first time in my life - running - part of the route anyway.  (In the dark, so that no one would see me!)
    > What was immediately apparent was that the leggings I was wearing were not staying up over my massive wobbly belly.  To say that my belly wobbled,  is probably understating it slightly.  It flopped up and down so much that my leggings fell down and I had to stop repeatedly to pull them back up again.  To be fair slowing down/walking every now and again to try to stay decent was welcome, coz I was knackered!  
    > I was expecting my 38G boobs to jiggle nicely - but I'd forgotten about my belly.
    > I have no idea what to wear on my feet either.  I was wearing walking shoes tonight.  But I suppose there must be some sort of running shoe for the fat lass at the back?
    > Help!

I have the same problem girl, trouble is I am a bloke :-)
  • Sorry to post here but can anyone tell me how to post a new subject? There seems to be no buttons or clues to posting.
  • Investing in a decent sports bra was the best thing I did. I've not long started either and knowing I was well supported and they don't move was really important to me. I got mine from Nike - available online and it's a pre moulded bit like madonna in the 90's number. I hope you find what you're looking for!
  • If your boobs jiggle, you are not wearing the right bra. Panache is good (but you'll feel a little flattened), as is Bravissimo's own brand (you'll still feel supported, but more natural). Go to Bravissimo, get fitted and then jump up and down on the spot to test the jiggle. Trust me: a good sports bra is a game-changer. Worth every penny!
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    30G and only run in shock absorber, best purchase ever. I second going to bravissimo they will sort you out with the right size. It might feel as if you cannot move but believe me after 15 miles that is what you want!!
  • Sorry to hijack, can someone explain to me how to post a new thread? I've been looking for hours now