Running jacket advice - water proof vs water resistant?

MacMac ✭✭✭
I've had most of my gear for years and figure I need to replace some of it.
I'm considering a new GPS running watch but it's not at the top of the list and I'll post separately about that.
My shoes are over a year old now so also up for replacement but again not the topic here.
My old "View From" coat is around 12 years old if not older and in rain offers about as much rain protection as a string vest.
It's torn on the elbow where I fell of my mountain bike within a week of getting the coat (and the bike!) so all in all a new one is justified I think.
So, what to buy?
  • I would like it to offer decent rain protection but be breathable. (what's the difference between waterproof and water repellent/resistant?)
  • I accept that in very heavy /torrential rain I may still get wet but I do want it to offer protection against events wetter than say a sparrows wet fart?
  • I don't mind sweating a bit when wearing it so long as it's not a total suana experience!
  • A decent looking design if possible, I'm certainly not into posing but equally don't want to look like a sack of pooh!
  • A fit that can accommodate some layers in winter if required but isn't too generous. Certainly not a "skinny fit" which is very much not me!
  • A hood but it must fold/roll away, that's non-negotiable.
  • Pockets! Why do all the new coats only have one pocket, on the chest area? I'd like side pockets if possible for my gloves should I need to remove and store them during a run.
I've looked the following...

• Montane Rapide Softshell Jacket 
  • Ron Hill Trail Torrent
  • Ron Hill Advance Storm 
  • Mizuno Waterproof 20k (not sure if hood rolls away)
Thanks in advance!
Neil.
Tagged:

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I don't often wear a jacket running as I'd rather get wet than very hot and sweaty but a year ago my wife got me a Ron Hill Torrent jacket as a present which I really like. The fit is good, comfy to run in, enough room for a light fleece underneath if I'm not running. Rain hasn't come through yet, even in some terrible conditions along the Pembrokeshire coast path. Has a pocket on both sides in the chest area which i don't really use when running. Hood rolls away well. Not sweaty compared to other jackets but still too sweaty for me unless conditions are arctic or running very slowly (e.g. warm up before race or session). I've got a light blue one with orange trim which I think looks good, but I wouldn't trust my opinion on fashion. I wear it pretty often just walking around when it's raining rather than my big rain coat.
  • If something is waterproof - its going to be great at stopping water getting in - so by default it will struggle letting sweat out.  

I've never spent a lot on jackets - i'd rather have a couple rather than just the one.

Current fave is a windproof and rain resistant Asics jacket that folds away into a pack. It's gotten me through 20 milers in snow showers this winter.  Can't find it online now though...
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    I've tried all sorts of running jackets, and nothing really worked for me, they all leak after a while. But being a golfer, I know from experience that the only jackets which work for me are Galvin Green Gore-Tex. I have a couple of these and they are very waterproof, and pretty good at being breathable. They do a version called "Pac-Lite" which has no lining and folds up very small. I now have 2 of these, 1 long-sleeved and 1 short-sleeved. The short-sleeved one is really comfy, doesn't get hot at all. They are expensive, but they have a lifetime guarantee, and I bought mine from ebay (previous season's stock). Don't think you can get them with hoods, though. Perhaps worth looking at jackets not necessarily designed for running in?
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I realised I lied before. I've got a Ron Hill Tempest, not a Torrent. No idea what the difference is.
  • I've got a Montane H20.

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• Hood rolls away.

Looks wet during downpours but doesn't seem to leak!

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• I sweat buckets so just use a cycling gilet for both cycling and running, even in torrential rain. Keeps the worst off the torso whilst allowing the rest of me to breathe/sweat. Main thing is it is wind proof so keeps me warm (if not dry) when it's wet n windy. Think the main thing is to keep the cold air and to some extent the wet off your chest to enable you to stay warm long enough to complete your run/ride rather that even attempting to stay dry and the gilet does that. 
  • I've got an Adidas Response jacket which is excellent. It's shower/rain resistant but breathes, so you'll get wet in a real downpour but then you would anyway. Very light, comfortable, and has 2 side pockets both with zips.

No hood though. Personally I prefer a baseball cap (or nothing) to a hood - always find them annoyingly intrusive and not good with glasses.

It's £65 rrp but I got it for 30 or so in a Sweatshop sale. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adidas-Mens-Response-Wind-Jacket/dp/B00QJ3KQVA
  • ....I've never worn a waterproof jacket or a water resistant jacket. I started running in 1963 and just got wet; I still get wet but have advanced from a cotton t-shirt to a Helley-Hansen. Still alive..still running..still competing....puzzled by the need for all this gear!!!!
  • I prefer to wear waterproof but a breathable one... Nike is one my favorite, but last month bought one from Alanic activewear... It was one of the most comfortable I have use for running..

https://www.amazon.com/Mens-Lightweight-Black-Jacket-XX-Large/dp/B06Y1PXC6N/
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    I tend not to bother with waterproof, as Cougie says you will always sweat up any way, and your lower half will always get wet!

I do wear a gilet, but just a cheapo decathlon one that's more wind than waterproof, and atm they have one thats semi-waterproof I think they would claim.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trail-sleeveless-jacket-id_8379499.html

I know Nike have done a nice gilet in yellow with a chevron style front, but at 125 quid I know which one I'd rather have.

If you really want a long sleeve one, I'd go for a cycling top, keeps your backside drier, ;)