ARE YOU A NEW POSTER? Do you have questions about VLM? Come here!

Comments

• Can anyone tell me how spectators can track their runner ?
  • mintycat said:
    Can anyone tell me how spectators can track their runner ?
    I'm sure theres a tracking section appears on the VLM website. Last year there was an app but only from Apple users if I remember correctly.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

The tracking is limited as it's based on when the runners pass each 5k mat, and then an estimate on where they are based on the speed they ran the previous 5k at.

Add into that a slight delay and difficulties accessing the ap when spectating due to sheer numbers and it's not something you can 100% rely on.

We've tried all sorts of other things like find my phone - but again the sheer volume of traffic on the day causes problems.

(Not all doom and gloom - it does get better each year!)

• Thanks for that , I'll keep an eye for n VLM site for any info
  • Not about this years unfortunately, but does anyone know when GFA entry for 2018 opens? Is it after this year's race?

Thanks.
  • I think it's about July Tucky - somewhere round there anyway.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Hi Tucky.. 

Just looked through my E-mails and I have a reply from the London Marathon people confirming my GFA for the 2017 race and it's dated the 15/6/2016 so... I'd keep your eyes peeled from early June..
  • Does anyone's have experience of running under a different number? My hubby needs to pull out due to injury and has already deterred once. I'm considering running in his place. Obviously he would pick the number up at the expo.  Will I get caught?? 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    If you get caught and you probably will as we on the RW forums like to report these incidents you and your husband will be banned from UKA races for at least a year and I think banned from London for life.  VLM have their own policing system so an obvious woman running as a man will get caught.   

I take it you're new to running, you should be ashamed of yourself for even considering it.   Please don't bring our sport into disrepute.
  • if you run with your husbands number, you are uninsured, the event organisers are uninsured, and you risk making the start line entry process even more difficult for others in the future as it gets tightened up to stop this kind of thing.

It is (rightly) as Shades says above, frowned upon.
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Magna - you are so much more diplomatic than I am  :D
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    You are highly unlikely to get caught - ID is checked at the expo so unless your husband hobbles in on crutches, he'll get his number. Whether you use it or not is up to you - morally it's not the right thing to do, and if you do get caught, you'll have run your last London marathon. However if you decide to do it then I'm sure you won't be alone. Your call.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    rodeoflip - they catch a lot of them by the video coverage, where a women runs with a man's number or vice versa.  The runners details scroll up as they cross the finish line and in other places too.

What sickens me is mumwhorunssss didn't ask if it was possible to run with her OH's number but whether she is likely to get caught.  
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    You can run it but the risk that you'll get caught afterwards is high. There are a lot of people who go searching for people. I can't remember about London but a lot of big races have different bibs for men and women so you could be caught out.
  • They do have security on the Mall too - so it's possible you could do 26 miles and get stopped for the last 0.2.

With the increased security issues big marathons are having  - I don't think it's a good idea.  I'd not do it. 
  • VLM don't routinely screen the results for obvious cheaters missing timing mats, so there's no way they'll bother checking photos for gender mismatches.  You're unlikely to get caught unless someone informs the organisers or you win a prize (unlikely in this case but there have been men 'winning' W50 for example.

But it's still the wrong thing to do.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I disagree Dave. They checked a lot last year and I know 2 runners who were caught.  

I'll admit that vlm are crap at following leads and indications of cheating. I know a runner who has skipped mats,  gained a GFA and has done this twice so far
  • Alys6Alys6 ✭✭
    Hi - does anyone know how long it takes to walk from Blackheath station to the blue start?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    About 5 - 10 mins from Blackheath to the blue start
  • Having a little panic about registration, hope you can give me some advice! My flight from Aberdeen gets in at 12:45 on the Saturday at Heathrow. Is that enough time to go and collect my number or should I change to an earlier flight? We booked it when the ballot places came out before we knew about the registration process. Thank you!
  • Gillian - they are quite strict about closing the expo and stopping people collecting numbers at 1700hrs on the Saturday I believe. In theory you should have enough time but it might make for a stressful day if there are any delays etc.
  • shouldn't be an issue... a few mins from H'row into central London on H'row express and then tube/DLR over to Excel... my best guess is that its about an hours travelling, so you've got a fair bit of slack in there
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Gillian - isn't it 5pm the expo closes?   What time did you think it was?

However, not wishing to alarm you, stuff happens and of course you could be delayed.   Some runners didn't get to Paris last week due to some strike somewhere.
  • Thanks. I know it closes at 5, I just have this image of me standing in line and the desks closing! And people on Facebook keep repeating horror stories of people missing out. Will have a think, thanks again all.
  • SlowTortoiseSlowTortoise ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Remember to allow at least 45 minutes for just getting out of Heathrow. www.tfl.gov.uk makes it an hour and 20 minutes which sounds about right to me but allow longer as you may be unfamiliar with London transport - if you get the train to Paddington, be aware it will take 15 minutes to get onto the tube and then you have to change at Baker Street for the Jubilee Line to Canning Town, then hop on the DLR. It will take an absolute minimum of two hours from landing to Excel so you should be fine if there's no delays
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Gillian - you can always get someone else to collect your number, details will be on VLM website.   Suggest you find a runner that is staying in the same or adjacent hotel, they can then leave your number at your hotel's reception desk.
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issue with my niece and her boyfriend travelling down from the North on the train, due in KX at 12 noon, whether we pick their numbers up for them and whether we assume they'll be in reasonably on time and we collect them and drive to Expo which should get us there about 13:00.  Got 4 hours to play with so should be fine but if it's going to go wrong it could go wrong big time!

Talking about number swapping, I know in USA, where I do some races there are people who go out looking for people cheating with numbers and times etc.  Can you imagine the embarrassment at having your picture plastered in the newspapers because you cheated!?
  • There's usually a very interesting 'name and shame' thread in the General section of the forum post London. People know it's wrong - why do it?
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what time the roads reopen around the Isle of Dogs on marathon day? We're staying in a flat on Westferry Road Andy trying to work out when we'll be able to drive back. 

Many thanks