ARE YOU A NEW POSTER? Do you have questions about VLM? Come here!

Comments

• Sorequads - I got a flyer through the door (I live in London) that says Westferry Road doesn't reopen until 19:00. Which seems very late, it's long after the sweeper bus goes through, but that seems to be the official line.
  • TopSec said:
    I'm having the same issue with my niece and her boyfriend travelling down from the North on the train, due in KX at 12 noon, whether we pick their numbers up for them and whether we assume they'll be in reasonably on time and we collect them and drive to Expo which should get us there about 13:00.  Got 4 hours to play with so should be fine but if it's going to go wrong it could go wrong big time!

Talking about number swapping, I know in USA, where I do some races there are people who go out looking for people cheating with numbers and times etc.  Can you imagine the embarrassment at having your picture plastered in the newspapers because you cheated!?
    Wasn't it Boston a couple of years ago when a women looked for her official photos and discovered about 6 people who had used her number? I think she'd posted a picture of her bib on Instagram and it had been pirated
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Did any of those 6 manage to get a good-for-age time for her?
  • Hi - I have a question for spectators of the VLM.

Is the Rotherhithe Tunnel open for pedestrians on the day, as it's saying it's closed for cars. Figured this could be a good route to see a runner at mile 11 and 14.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    pretty sure Rotherhithe tunnel is just closed on the day?

you could always go to Canada Water or Bermondsey and then head to West Ferry/Canary Wharf on the jubilee/DLR?
  • Thanks Gladrags.

Canary Wharf looks a good option, although they are saying that the roundabout at Heron Quay is closed. Is there another point near there that spectators can get to and see the runners twice?
  • Hello, I am running the London marathon next weekend. I want to use energy gels and have just bought some, but I haven't used any in training. (I got through my 18 mile run with water and lucozade sport). I know you aren't meant to try anything new on race day, but I would really like to use these energy gels as I think they would help and I don't think I can do the whole 26 miles with just liquid. But I wont be doing any more long runs to practice using them. Any advice? Thanks :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    gm77 - don't use the gels, they can be difficult to get used to particularly because of the texture.   Take a few sweets with you instead, no doubt in your life you've eaten a few sweets so you should be fine with those.   Most gels don't have any electrolytes so are only very expensive liquid sugar, they won't do anything more for you than a few sweets will.  Choose sweets that are easy to eat, not too chewy.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    Darrenhales- there are lots of spectating points round Canary Wharf. Westferry is good because you can see your runner at mile 15 and then again at about mile 19. 

• haha thought i was just being a technophobe! Desperately seeking advice about a newfound injury 1 week out from the London Marathon.
    Ive actually had quite a stressfree training process, worked up to 21 miles and begun tapering. Today I did my 7 mile easy run, and had hip pain which onset around mile 3. It hurts to walk and to run but the pain although definitely noticable, is not severe.
    What would people recommend? IT is my first marathon and i am absolutely terrified.
  • Could just be general aches and pains as your body recovers from the miles that you have put in prior to tapering Cassieruns.

I have run a handful of Marathon's now and think that I have had more aches and pains and felt so tired over the last couple of weeks due to my tapering process for London, which has meant very little running at all due to it being my 3rd Marathon (of 10) this year and my 4th Marathon in approx. 4 months.  Last week, I done just 1 mile at a local track meet.  The week before and the week after my last Marathon (Bungay Black Dog Marathon), I ran approx. 10 miles (one very easy paced XC to a local pub of 6 miles, followed by a 4 mile training run on my own to give a new pair of shoes a try out).

Still undecided on what shoes to wear for London. I was going to run in Saucony Ride 9's but wasn't overly happy in them at Bungay (probably not the shoes and just me having a poor run).  My other options are giving my NB Vazee 2090's a go, or alternatively seeing if my new Salming Race 5's can deliver on long distances up to Marathon (as promised).  Think that I am going to give the Salming's a go if the weather is reasonable on the day, as I think with their lightweight nature they could be a good shoe for me in my major Marathon's this year, with the Vazee's being the best option on worse road surfaces and the Saucony's the best option on tired legs (like when I run my 2nd Marathon in a week in Liverpool in May).

Good luck to everyone!

Smudgerncfc's 10 Marathon's in 2017
  • Thanks Shades! Would Lucozade energy tablets be okay to get me through the marathon? As I am a vegetarian so I don't eat jelly sweets. Thank you.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    gm77 - yes, they will be fine.   You'll have Lucozade Sport to drink too won't you, so that will give you some energy from the sugar in that.

I think you can get vegetarian jelly sweets, not sure where though.
  • These are veggie. I imagine you could get them from Run and Become in Victoria if they aren't on sale at the Expo https://www.amazon.co.uk/High5-Nutrition-Energy-Gel-Pack-x/dp/B005K8HRUS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492436907&sr=8-2&keywords=vegetarian+gels+sports

• M&S sell veggie Percy Pig, Colin the Caterpillars and also fruit gums.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've never eaten Colin the Caterpillars :D

LMH - how are you?
  • They are surprisingly nice - and I don't eat much of that kind of thing having been non meat eating for years. I'm not great really - was hit by a car whilst out running in February and lost three weeks training and then fell over on the 13th and have a broken elbow and two battered, bruised, swollen and painful knees - London is going to be 'interesting' this year!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LMH - so sorry to hear you have been in the wars.  Being hit by a car, every runner's nightmare, must have been frightening.   Can you run with a broken elbow, are you in plaster?  

I know you always prepare so thoroughly for your events, you have been so unlucky.
    I don't suppose you want to defer your entry?
  • Shades - fortunately the treatment for my broken elbow (it's just a fractured radial head)  is just a sling for 2-3 weeks. It's ok to run with (out of the sling of course) just a bit painful now and again. My knee is more of a limiting factor, still quite swollen and bruised and with limited movement but I'm hoping that by Sunday it will be much better. I have physio on Thursday and am icing etc and walking instead of running. No point in deferring as I have GFA and as I'm raising money for the Alzheimer's Society I'll go and bimble round if I'm not up to anything else.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LMH - so the elbow is just an inconvenience really but the knee is the problem.   Hopefully if the swelling reduces your physio can maybe strap it up and you may still get the chance to have a decent race.

Injury is the curse of the distance runner :'(
  • Not a running injury though Shades - it took the brunt of the fall with my arm.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Still an injury, even if you did it tripping over the cat, and it stops you running :'(

I did one of my worst injuries jumping out of the car too fast and going over on my ankle.
  • They usually take the barriers down on the embankment about 6 or 7 hours in - so the Isle of Dogs a bit earlier than that.  You may as well take your time recovering with a beer in town...
  • Hi everyone, with the taper period has anyone started feeling a little under the weather?

I've not got a full on cold but definitely feel run down and not 100% since the weekend. I suspect its my body recovering due to the reduction in volume so assume its relatively common? Has anyone else experienced / experiencing the same?

Still time to rest (and sleep!) so trying not worry just yet but not ideal for confidence - taper madness!
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    HLVICH, it's my first marathon on Saturday and I've had a cold for the past couple of days. I've not had a cold in about 2 years.

I've also got some jaw pain (No idea where from). It's fine at the moment, but I don't want it to turn into something nasty like an ear infection or toothache (which I had recently).

Also had some odd back pain in my last run on Monday.

I've deferred once, so I'm running, walking, hobbling around on Sunday no matter what. I've decided to rest for the remainder of the week. No more running, in order to rest my back. Not long now. In many ways, I wish it were tomorrow.
  • It's a well known condition called taper madness or maranoia guys - you feel like you are coming down with something, have random niggles, aches and pains and become convinced that you can't run 6 miles let alone 26.2............perfectly normal.
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    No. Everyone else is paranoid. I've definitely got something!  :s:p
    Just want it to be Sunday now. My last 20 mile run (3 weeks ago) feels like a long time ago now. 
  • Thanks LMH - resting heart rate is still a bit up, but still time for rest which should set everything straight for Sunday

Biko - I'm on a megamix of day nurse, berocca, beetroot juice, ginger shots, lots of garlic, green tea and ultimately rest/sleep which seems to be doing the trick. Good luck and all the training is in your legs already - remember to race sensibly on the day but you can do it.

Good luck all
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Not a new poster, or new to VLM, but anyone know the size of the kitbag this year, is it same as last year (i.e. a bit smaller than it used to be)?
  • TBH I didn't notice that last years was any smaller. More transparent than it used to be certainly...