Prize money!

Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭
Not for me (sadly), more out of interest, anyone know where to find the prize money for a race (for the various categories)?
E.g. the recent Surrey Half Marathon.
Tagged:

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    If there's a paper entry form, sometimes the details are on there.   Sometimes in the race info.   Sometimes the prizes are only decided at the last minute depending on cash available/sponsorship donations.   Sometimes there isn't any prize money.
  • Ask thru their website - http://surreyhalfmarathon.co.uk/

Or facebook
    Or Twitter

I think it's irrelevant to 99% of the entrants so its not widely known ?
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Bigger races - and especially ones that want to attract fast runners - will often have a page on their website listing the prize money. For example:  http://www.activeleisureevents.co.uk/marathon/prizes
    If you were the sort of person who might have a chance of winning something, then I suppose it's a balance between picking a race with decent prizes, but which won't attract too many runners faster than you. The Surrey half doesn't seem to have an elite entry system so perhaps they are not that bothered about trying to attract the kind of runners who are going to ask how much the prizes are. I came second in a local half marathon last year and didn't particularly care what the prize was but was pleasantly surprised that it was £55 in cash. On the other hand I also came second in a local 10 mile race the year before and the prize was a really shit bottle of wine.
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Surrey Half seems to have changed how much info they gave about prizes every year I've looked at it. The first year I did it (2015), they made a big deal about the prize fund on the website - exact amounts for top 3 overall and top 3 GB and top vet categories, PLUS the fact that ladies under 1:25 got a free place for the following year (which is why I entered). Last year, it was more muted, with details of top 3 only, then sketchy about GB-specific prizes. I came 3rd both years and won different amounts - something like £100 and £300 - the first 2 ladies last year were 'Run Fast' elites (so I got 1st GB...miles behind them, I might add!).  I asked the organisers if they were offering free places again this year and they said no; plus there was no info at all on the site (that I could find) about prizes...so my hunch is that they weren't trying to attract the really fast (often non-GB) runners, or even fairly fast club runners. The winning times this year were slower, with no 'Run Fast' team ladies, but I very much doubt the prize money was as high for 1st as it was in the other 2 years (could be wrong, though!). It was still relatively expensive to enter this year, I guess due to closed roads, but it was too steep for me!
  • Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭
    Thanks Pipes, I heard a rumour the winning lady got a four figure sum.