Basic but quality running watch?

Hi!

I've managed to stick with running three times per week for quite some time now, go me.

And now the time has come to get a sport's watch. One of my goals is to set a new PB every month at ParkRun, and so far I've managed to do that even though the time comes as a surprise since I'm running gear free. I'm also training for a 10k.

I tried my partner's watch, but even though I'm technical it was far too fiddly and complicated for me. I couldn't figure it out.
So what I want (feel free to add to the list if I have forgot something crucial):

Current pace
Can watches show estimated end time? If so, I want that too.
A clear display, a quick glance should inform me
Step count (for walking)
Accuracy
Rain proof

Maybe also:
Streaming music to wireless headphones
GPS?
Lap times?

(NOT interested in: Heart rate and advanced info like cadence (or whatever it was called).)

I'm not trying to go cheap, I'm willing to pay for a good model. But I need it to be good at these basic features or I might not use it.

Input, please?

Many thanks,
Anna

Comments

• I could skip step counting as I have an iPod that does that! :-)
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm sorta looking for a replacement to.
    You don't mention what watch your partner has?
    This may help to avoid recommendations for the same or similar?
    I could be wrong but in my search it seems that a really good quality watch that also looks good (styling etc.) always seems to come loaded with lots of features people like us simply don't need or want?
    Manufacturers seem to assume that if you only want basic functions that you don't mind if it's cheap looking, flimsy build etc.
    Finding the right one can be tricky as it means balancing what you want in terms of style/look/build quality with user interface and features, oh and of course price!
    I have been looking at similar features to you except for the finish time predictor although that would be a useful one.
    My wants are:-
    GPS (time/distance), Optical HRM (I know they're less accurate but will be fine for what I want), Average pace (current pace is usually so erratic on watches as to be almost pointless), on board music (not just music control as I want to ditch the phone or iPod), Virtual partner (to test myself against pre-set time/distances or past runs against my self) and yes a run time prediction would be nice.

The only one that seems to tick all these boxes is the TomTom Runner 3 Cardio/Music although I'm not sold on the design or the interface/control method (a square toggle button, not a touch screen or side buttons).
    The Apple Watch series 2 (Nike + version or standard) also ticks most of them but the lack of a live "average" pace on the screen whilst running puts me off. As does the poor battery life and poor GPS accuracy reviews.
    Im not interested in downloading lots of stats and getting into all that, I just want to monitor my runs as I run them. If it can't be seen, easily on screen whilst running it ceases to be a usable function insofar as I'm concerned.

Have a look online using key words and see what takes your fancy and remember that reviews are (nearly) always subjective and often performed by people who are into all the detailed features and stats!
    In other words judge on what you want as they will be judging (and reviewing accordingly) on what they want.

I hope you get sorted.
    Neil.
  • QrszxQrszx ✭✭
    Hi there,

As Neil said, the TomTom probably ticks all your boxes, but you might not be too taken with the design. Another watch that comes to mind is the New Balance RunIQ. It only just came out and the reviews are not that great, but from what I understand it is problems with software so should be much improved in a few months. Of course, with such a lovely screen you have the trade-off of higher battery consumption.

If you were like me, I'd probably send you straight towards the Garmin range. Although, the looks are not to everyone's tastes and they seem to produce a lot of data. I know it seems incredibly obvious, but have you looked at the Fitbit Charge 2 or Surge? Note: The C2 has GPS, but only via connection to your phone. I always thought the Fitbit range had great looks and a really easy to use interface. I can't remember how well water-proofed they are, but I seem to remember it being less substantial than other manufacturers. Probably more 'out in the rain' than 'going for a swim'.

With features like finish time prediction, I would say that maybe typically comes with higher tier watches. Again with racing your own ghost, I'm not aware of any watches that do that. Not to say that they aren't out there. To keep you going in the meantime, Ghostracer and Runkeeper (apps) have features you might want. Ghostracer allows you to race segments created on Strava as a 'ghost'. I think Runkeeper still has the option to set a goal pace for your run, then receive audio updates how far ahead/behind you are.

Sorry if you know all this already! I hope you find something that suits you.
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if Anna is about but there are several watches that have a "virtual partner" type function.
    TomTom, Garmin and some Polars and probably more.
    For me though it's been difficult finding a watch that does everything I want!
    For example I find one that has wrist HR, virtual partner, GPS etc. but not on-board music or it has on-board music but not a wrist HR or perhaps not virtual partner!!!
    Very frustrating.
    I thought the Polar M600 might be the one as it has wrist based HR, on-board music, GPS etc...BUT not a virtual partner feature, which I do want...Arrrggg!!!
    The only ones that seem to have ALL of them are the TomTom and the Apple Watche series 2.
    I even considered paying more (although similar to the Apple watch) for a Garmin Fenix 5 but it doesn't have on-board music!
    The TomTom Runner 3 has one and I understand (correct me someone if I'm wrong) you can set either distance, pace or vs past runs so that would be old you vs new you?
    Not sure if that's what you wanted?
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I was looking for similar about a year ago, except I wasn't bothered about the music so didn't look into that much. I am not sure which watches let you play music without an accompanying device (if any). A wrist-based HR seemed to limit the selection quite a lot.

I went for the Garmin 225 which does most of what you want except for the music. I have been very happy with it.

The other thing that it doesn't have is the predicted finish time thing or virtual partner. I think you can get at least the predicted finish time on the newer 235 (possibly by downloading an app onto it - my friend has it on his watch and I've seen people talk about it on here elsewhere).

I don't know if it's worth doing the music separately if it only comes on top end watches with lots of features you don't really want - can you get a small wireless ipod or something?
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yes, it's hard to get the balance of features you want.
    It's not like we want anything exotic though is it? I mean these features are all fairly basic...
    • GPS
    • Optical HRM
    • Virtual Partner/Racer/Pacer (to help add a little structured "motivation" to my runs)
    • On-board Music (not essential but desired and easy to do for them - see below)
    • Oh and the ability to have a "live" average pace (not current) displayed and continually updated on the screen during workouts? (Yes Apple that means you!!!)
    It's not asking a lot I don't think but it almost feels like a conspiracy that they always seem to leave one of them off the list which stops the watch just short of being perfect!!!

I currently run with a Garmin FR210 HR (although I have never used the HR strap as they really bug me - that's why I want the optical HR as despite not being as accurate it would be fine for me) and an iPod Nano 7, which is a small, light, slim touch screen device and it does have blue tooth which I use with my Jabra Sport BT earphones.
    However I would love to be able to shed that armband containing the iPod so on-board music on the watch is very attractive to me.

I've looked at practically everything and I like the...
    • FR630 but no Optical HR or on-board music rules it out at that price point.
    • FR235 but no virtual partner or on-board music rules it out
    • FR735 or 935 - too overkill for me and no on-board music at price point.
    • Fenix 5 but no on-board music which I'd want at that price.
    • Polar M600 but no virtual partner
    • Tom Tom Runner 3 Cardio/Music has it all except for styling!
    • New Balance RuniQ but has everything except for good reviews! Also has software issues?
    In the immortal words of Bono  "But I still haven't found what I'm looking for"
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    What is the "virtual partner" function that you are talking about? Can it be replicated by programming in sessions? eg on my watch I can design a session, so I'm doing a certain distance/time at a certain pace/HR, and it will beep at me if I go out of the target range (I define the boundaries).

Not showing average pace seems mental, think that must just be apple. Makes you think it's must be designed by someone who has never used a running watch though as like you I'd think that's one of the most basic features!

I hate wearing something on my arm, it's part of the reason I got a watch. Wearing my phone on my arm felt uncomfortable and still moved around a bit however tight I did it up. I still often carry my phone on solo runs just in case something happened that meant I needed a lift back (eg injury), but I keep it in a zip pocket at the back of my shorts and don't notice it's there most of the time. Maybe that's an option for your iPod?
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Hi Nick, the "virtual partner" is basically similar to what you describe but already set up.
    I've never used it (but want it in my next watch) but understand it can be set to pit you against time/distance targets you set and/or your previous runs (or possibly against others runs via Strava etc. although I don't know for sure.
    I'm sure it will vary dependent on which watch or manufacturer at least you have, some even show a nifty little graphic of two little people, one is you and the other is the target or opposition, or perhaps you from last week? You race against it.
    It sounds like your method works in a similar way in fact are you sure it's not some form of "virtual partner" you have there, just called something else?

I've since heard from an Apple Watch series 2 owner on here that they can get a "live" average pace displayed during a run so perhaps the app/software has been updated since the reviews I read?

On-board music isn't essential for me but it is highly desirable as, like you I want to ditch the iPod inc the arm band and as much "clutter" as I can when running.
    I've never carried my phone on a run or even used it for my music (iPod Nano is far smaller) so other than for emergency use I can't see me ever doing so now, at least not unless they make phones as small as the iPod Nano or even better actually built into the watch rather than the watch being only an accessory to the phone!!!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I'm just talking about the "workouts" on Garmin. I just looked it up and it seems like the 210 which you said you have, has a more basic version of this called intervals. I think the "workouts" feature that's on the 225 is basically the same except you can set a target. However, you have to build them online using a PC/laptop on Garmin Connect, so it's not the most convenient.

It sounds like this "virtual partner" would be basically the same except take out the step of looking up your previous activity to set the target. Giving you a live comparison might be neat as well I suppose (eg to show that I was x seconds ahead of/behind me last week on the same route in real time).
  • QrszxQrszx ✭✭
    I just wanted to add - it might free you up to think about watches without music storage. Going by my own habits, I don't really use music for anything less than a 10k and that means that I am far enough from home that it's best to take my phone. So I just pair my earbuds with the phone.

Previous to that (maybe 6+ years ago), I used a Phillips 2GB mp3 player that went on a lanyard around my neck. Obviously, that didn't have Bluetooth, but it cost me around £16 all that time ago. It makes me wonder if there is something like that that would fit in the zip pocket of running shorts and have that kind of connectivity.

I realise that might not be the best option, but it might save quite a pile of money if you're only looking for basic running metrics. Getting a Spibelt or similar might be handy too.

I honestly think the state of fitness watches is a few years behind the feature set people actually want. There are a few smartwatches that if they just had some kind of extreme low power mode, they would do the trick. The same goes for a company like Garmin adding music storage. I would love to know the reasons for this hole. I guess I'll check up on the New Balance watch in 6 months and see if it's better.
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    I would consider something sans music as I have an iPod Nano which is very small and light but even so, it's one more thing strapped to me.
    Im quiet used to it now but it would be good to not need it.
    I remember a few years back when no watches had music, optical HR didn't exist meaning an uncomfortable chest strap, blue tooth ear buds hadn't been invented and GPS on watches consisted of a brick strapped to your arm!
    I recall heading out looking like Robo Cop!

If I did decide to forgo the music I'd consider a new Garmin 935 which is basically a de-metalled Fenix 5. A full Fenix 5 if possible but too much money IMHO.
    I'd want live music and a sports therapist following me around for £600+

I think your right, technology (or at least that available to manufacturers) is a little behind that which would deliver what we all really want or need.
    Perhaps it's available but not yet common enough to be financially viable as a mainstream product?

Yes the NB RuniQ may get the bugs ironed out after which it could be a contender?
  • ..and I always thought the beauty of running was its utter simplicity!
  • somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Agree that smart running watches aren't quite there yet in terms of th stuff a phone can do, but in a watch (I guess the apple watch comes closest, but I've no idea what that's like for running stats you might need).
    Give it a year or two and we'll probably see something more evolved as the two worlds collide.
    Pound for pound, the tomtom runner 3/spark 3 is a great watch. If you shop around, the music version (which hovers around the £150 mark) can be picked up for around £100 (tomtom are doing a £25 cash back at the moment...plus there are some live £10 vouchers knocking around).

Bluetooth headphones come with this version, and so far I've had absolutely no sync issues at all (adding playlists is a doddle). Very good reviews too.
    Not quite as sleek as some of the more expensive watches, but I wear mine daily now...I've not worn a watch for years mind. I suspect in a couple of years I'll have the watch that ticks all the running stats/heart monitor/music and links with your phone i.e. text/calls...bit like the apple watch!
    I use the 'race against yourself' function for park runs...a bit of a kick up the ol bum when running (you can visually see your 'ghost' but it also tells you in your ears which position you are in).

I take it on swims in the pool (it works...ok) and worked seamlessly on a cycle I did yesterday.
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Yeah the Tom Tom is a great piece if kit fir the money. Pity it doesn't lend itself to an every day wearer that well (in my opinion) As you say these things evolve all the time so it's only a matter of time....see what I did there?....
  • somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    ^^ Yeah...it's not the most delicate of items, but then again slightly less 'electronic tag' about it than others.
    I've started wearing mine daily, but perhaps not for a posh meal :)

Good reason not to splash out on a top piece of kit yet...the market will be flooded with apple watch type kit in a year or two (including all the running/sports/HRM titbits).
  • somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    BTW - Mac - what didn't you like about wearing the HRM? My tomtom doesn't have the optical HRM (far too expensive) but was contemplating picking up a chest strap soon....
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Well from what I remember (it's been a few years since I wore one) it just felt uncomfortable. It always felt like it was slipping, even when it wasn't.
    Basically I was always far too aware of it being there and that's a no no for me.
    im waiting until they bring out a stick on type, like the HR monitors they use in hospitals?
    Once they suss out how to make the sticky pads stay on with sweaty excercise and somehow reusable that is!!!
    Perhaps a bit like HRT patches with a small pouch to put a wafer thin, BT HR sensor in so you only replace the disposable sticky pad/pouch and reuse the actual sensor itself?
    Anyone up for bringing that to market?!!!
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Seems it was already tried and mysteriously pulled just before release!
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/ampstripthe-sticker-activity.html
    Pity, it looked promising.

• MacMac ✭✭✭
    And here...
    https://www.wareable.com/fitness-trackers/senseon-fitness-tracker-review
    Ah well there was me thinking I may have actually had a good idea!!!
  • The Tom Tom runner sports GPS watch is a good one, its waterproof (and tough mudder proof) tracks distance and running pace, has a nice clear screen and you can set up a running goal so you know how long you have till the end. they sell them on Amazon for a fairly decent price, they are a bit bulky but really good for running.
    'Run, Ride, Live'
    Twitter @TeamSLTA or Facebook @TeamSLTA
    Online : http://slightlylessthanawesome.com/
  • +1 Tom Tom GPS watch for good value.
  • I just bought a 'spark' (same as the runner but different strap I think?) from the Tomtom outlet online for £50-something. Seem great so far.

There are other variations also available from there for cheap(er than normal).

If you use this voucher you get £8 off. WELCOMEUK2017

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/outlet/