SURVEY Preventing runners collapsing during events (Student Project)

Hi,

I am a student in my 1st year at Loughborough University and am investigating the concept of a sensor that would be provided in the race pack of a long distance running event that would alert both the runner and medical staff of arising health risks.

As part of this project I have put together a very short survey: https://goo.gl/forms/SlbuqiwcyaYoshKs1

It will only take 2 minutes and would be a great help if you could complete it.

Thanks in advance, James :) 
Tagged:

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Completed (mainly because I like your forum name - love that book!)
  • completed. good luck with this. its an interesting new angle on the surveys that we normally see.
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Nessie said:
    Completed (mainly because I like your forum name - love that book!)
    Thank you very much, you are the first person to ever comment on my name! :) 

If you wouldn't mind I have a follow up survey to get feedback on my final design: https://goo.gl/forms/I9llt2yjUA1qZgOv2

• completed. good luck with this. its an interesting new angle on the surveys that we normally see.
    Thank you I really appreciate the help and am glad it is something different.

I have now produced a follow up survey to get feedback on my final concept if you wouldn't mind filling that out as well: https://goo.gl/forms/I9llt2yjUA1qZgOv2
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've completed the follow up survey emailed to me.   Sorry I wasn't very complimentary on your idea but I do have a tendency to say what I think when asked ;)   But I hope the project has gone well.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    It's an interesting concept but my instinct is that the sensors wouldn't be accurate enough to be useful. Also, if you are the kind of person to push yourself hard enough to collapse in a marathon, then you might ignore warnings from technology like this. It would possibly help a small number of people but probably annoy a much larger number.
  • I think this is a bit like the running metrics that garmin came up with a while ago - a new way to measure yet more 'things', but not really any idea on what to do with the numbers.  The idea of being able to predict impending collapse is pie in the sky, the set of parameters of HR, core temperature, blood pressure, whatever, that might be danger signs in one person would be perfectly normal in another given the stresses of running a marathon.

From a practical perspective it strikes me that any such garment would need to be tight fitting, which might be fine in winter but otherwise no.  If it couldn't be incorporated in a loose running vest then I wouldn't use it in a race.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just recording Heart rate seems to be so changeable on many factors, so this sort of bit of kit would have to be incredible to work.

It also wouldn't do a job for a scenario i got in once, where i basically felt shot away midway through a half marathon, but stubbornly chose to finish the race, collapsing in a heap just over the finish line.

Would it have started beeping with the line 2metres away? ;)