Sick of being sick when running

Tw1styTw1sty ✭✭
edited March 2017 in General running
Looking for some advice guys please.
A bit of my background is, I've been trail/ road running for 4yrs now. Have completed adventure races, half marathons, cross country races, trail races, OCR's and road races. Best half marathon time (road) is 1hr 30, best 8 mile trail race is 54mins 
finished 20th in coast to coast 1 day event and 18th in man vs lakes adventure marathon (both rat race events) also do circuit classes once or twice a wk and cycle a lot mostly commuting. 
so I can run and never really been bothered with a stitch. 
But since July this year after man vs lakes I stopped running for a wk or two and once I got back running I've been plaqued with getting a stitch. Try'd watching what I eat/ drink also kept an eye on timings of when I last eat/ drink. 
In training I've slowed my pace. Any time I exzert any effort i seem to get a stitch but more recently in the last 3 races I've done. Today being one of them when I get to 3 to 4 miles in, I get the stitch then I'm having to pull over to be sick. 
After a few heaves and a few mouth fills of water I'm ready to go a claw back places. 
Has anyone had any issues with the dreaded stitch and being sick so early on in races.
Any advice or tips would be much appreciated as this is starting to put me of entering events. 
thanks Twisty

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    As this has suddenly started happening, you ran for years without this problem maybe a trip to the docs.   I've never heard of someone getting a stitch and then being sick too.
  • Thanks shades will keep an eye on it and maybe pop in to the docs. See what they have to say. 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    The usual reasons for stitch are eating too soon before running and not warming up.  What you have might not even be stitch.  Do you suffer from reflux?  This is worse if you are under any stress.

Agree with Shades that you should see your dr.

NB: we haven't had July this year yet, to my knowledge.
  • Thanks T Rex for your input. 
    Yeah my last race I last eat 3.5hrs before the race. I also warm up for about 20mins before hand. 
    As I said when I'm just out on training runs if I slow down then the stitch subside. 
    But in race going all out then it appears I get the stitch (if it's that) then about 25 to 30mins in a need to stop to be sick. After that I'm totally fined and get back upto a decent pace. 
    I was think maybe race nerves of some kind. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think race adrenaline/nerves makes it worse, although being sick as I said before is unusual.   You need to plan what pace you start a race and stick to that pace and also control your breathing.