Wearable data and Strava data discrepancies (Tomtom runner 3 in my case).

somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
Hi all.
It appears that there are discrepancies between the data my Tomtom Runner 3 watch and the data then produced by Strava when synced.
I've noticed this since I started wearing my watch a few weeks back, but on a run last night I was checking my pace (average 4.5 min per k) and strava showed this as 5 min per k pace (and shortened the distance too).
It seems clear that they both interpret data (algorhythms etc) in a different manner, but even my official park run times (and distance) differ from the synced Strava results (but not the tomtom). I'd hazard a guess that if I ran with my phone again (I'm much happier running with my watch btw) and use Strava 'live' if you will, the results would be closer to the tomtom (I'm going to trial this tomorrow by running with both).
I think if Strava published the 'Raw' data from my watch all would be well, but I guess that's something for the Strava engineers/community to discuss (I'll ask on those boards).
Not everybody wants or needs to track their runs, but I've found it essential to motivate my and enjoy tracking all my activities and I also appreciate the fact a fair few of my friends are on Strava (another exercise in keeping in touch as we all live all over the place).
The tomtom sports app is very good for what I need it for and I'm going to trial mapmyrun...it's just a shame that the one we all use to track our activities (Strava) is pushing my results out by some distance.

Something I have to live with unless Strava 'speak and adjust' with tomtom (can't see how they can really)? Any experiece from you folks on a similar situation?

Many thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    To make sure I'm understanding correctly, are you syncing your watch to something (phone/laptop/PC) which then sends it to Strava? If so, there shouldn't be much discrepancy, certainly not as much as 4:30 to 5:00 pace per km.

I use a Garmin watch, when I sync it to my phone that loads it to the Garmin Connect website (I assume there is a similar TomTom equivalent), and from there it's automatically pushed to Strava. I sometimes get slight discrepancies, but only 1 second or 0.1 miles (the smallest unit on Strava) here and there. Normally they are the same.
  • Strava does seem to handle 'pauses' differently to other sites, so that could be a reason....

I never use Strava data for detailed reporting though because their reporting tools are non existent compared to many others....
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Yes - exactly that. I run with the watch then sync to my iphone when back home. This data is then auto pushed (via bluetooth) to Strava on my iPhone.
    Looking back on Strava, all my recent park runs (which should be dead on 5k) are showing as 4.8km (tomtom shows these as 5.0k). Yesterday I tracked my pace 'live' and it was showing 4.5min per Km and later my |TomTom Sports App (used to be called Mysports) showed average pace as 4.55 and 5.32 Km distance (26.11 sec time). Strave had this as 5.2 distance, 26.05 time and 5.00min per Km pace.
    I'll trial mapmy run tomorrow and also run with my phone and watch at the same time, but it's a bit of a pain. I'd always used the tomtom sports app as it's detailed enough for me at the moment, but all my friends use Strava (as they may not have a tomtom kit etc).