Options

Stepping up running from alternate days 5k runs.

somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
Hi all.
I posted a while back about getting ill after running (and speaking to many other people whoe gave up running as they equated it to getting run down/flu etc). This is my second stab at running (I've always particicpated in some form of sports over the years, but more swimming, tennis and martial arts...running is entirely different to me) but this time I've kept at it...and I'm really starting to enjoy it (although much of that is the build up and after effects at the moment :smile: ). I'm 44 (fitter than I've even been), 5'11 and just under 12 1/2 stone (could get away with losing half a stone before levelling out if adding muscle...there's a bit of excess flab I'm not sure I need).
The advice to my post was superb. I didn't return to running until I was over these bouts of illness (I had a 2 month long ear infection and a fair few heavy colds). I reckon a fair bit of this was down to seasonal infections (quite possible I'm one of those who suffer from a lack of vitamin D...I'm fairly dark skinned/dark hair...some Mediterranean DNA going on there I think.
However, I've started to eat more healthily and eating more - I was losing a fair bit of weight...which is good...but then I had literally nothing left in the tank for running. Upped the protein and fruit and veg intake has been ramped up.
Since then, I actually put a little weight back on, but I'm increasing my running a little so that will start to reverse.

I'm now running alternate days (I was running 6k's almost every day at one stage...during the winter when I suffer from colds anyway) and started a 4k then upped 10% a week. Currently running 5.3k then I'll most likely stop when I hit 6k (and think about the odd 10k run in the week). These runs are ran at a reasonable pace so I'm not overdoing it (or getting out of breath). This is about 4.5min per 1k.
I do a saturday morning 5k park run where I try and go all out (record 22.33 seconds) - current target is sub 22 (I struggle to get the energy right that early though - I'm not a morning person!! Wondering if that can be a habit that be altered?).
Off running days I'll go for a 1k swim and I may join a local gym (my other half and daughter have recently joined...and there's a pool there so it might make sense).
I guess I'm asking if the above regime sounds about right and if it's possible to start running on consequtive days yet (not all the time) or maybe reach my 6ks and keep to alternate (plus the weekend park run) and slowly build up my pace? I do fancy a run some evenings despite running the day before.
No real plans yet, but fancy an organised 10k race this year (with a mud run thrown in) and then look at smaller triathlons and perhaps a half marathan in the next couple of years.
Main thought is overdoing it all and ending up not enjoying it (becoming a chore so to speak).

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds sensible. Consistency is the most important thing - it's better to undertrain a little but keep progressing than push for an extra 10%, get injured and off running for weeks.

Your regular runs are 4.5min/km, ie 4:30/km? That's your 5K PB - did you make a typo? According to Jack Daniels (well worth looking up), with a 22:33 5K you should be doing most of your running at around 5:30/km. And 20-30 minute tempo/lactate threshold runs at 4:50/km.

Probably best to keep most runs easy pace - increase your mileage rather than your pace for now. As long as you don't just plough on doing the same thing every day forever you should be fine running consecutive days.

The main thing is to add some variety or you'll get bored and plateau. Vary the length of the regular runs (5-10K), do them on different surfaces (trails, parks, roads), make some of them variable pace (e.g. progressive - start slow end faster - or fartlek), do a longer run every 1-2 weeks (start at 10-12K) and a short hardish run (parkrun or tempo), some strength training. Have a non-running day after a long or hard run. Gradually increase weekly mileage, and after a while add a harder session like intervals or hills. Always listen to your body and back off whenever it feels like you should. Eat carbs and stretch right after a run. Get loads of sleep, rest is part of training. Keep hydrated. All standard advice written here many times, but it isn't gospel - there are different points of view (like focusing more on strength and running form from the outset).

I recommend getting a decent book - Jack Daniels is excellent - as it can be motivating as well as informative.
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Brilliant advice - I'll take that all on board.
    I'll read a few more discussions on here (and look up that book), but wanted an initial brief confirmation that I was at least going in the right direction.
    Also don't want to get 'too into it' for the time being...I've been over obsessed with things in the past and end up falling out of love with them for a variety of reasons. Usually associated with clubs -hard to give up time these days (and we have three kids to look after too...all with their own sports to ferry them to!).
    Hence no real target at the moment - just the Parkrun PB's. Interestingly I briefly read that Morgahan (sic) post so will pick up tips from there too (I guess I'm not running anywhere near enough to start battering that 22:33 time down!!).

Love the idea of mixing up the type of runs/locations (and I had to google fartlex).
    Oddly, I've really enjoyed these winter evening runs, despite for the most part being dark, wet and cold (although we're now coming out of that). I have a 6k route which (inexplicably really) I find enojoyable. I think it's a mix of 'things' I run through which helps (part of which is a small village, part over a motorway, then nice houses...a few pubs etc). It's my go to route, but I guess I could head in the other direction on occasion.

Ahh - the pace. I've realised what I've done. I've interpreted 4.5 as literally four point five (four mins 30), when it really is 4:55 (first time using my watch to view the pace.
    This also explains why I thought my strava pace was way out from my tomtom data (thinking it was 30 seconds out rather than 5 seconds out over the pace...not as bad as I thought).
    Interesting that I should be pacing at 5:30 for my Parkrun time (I struggle a bit with the early morning running - feels much easier in the evening) but I'll work on that.
    However, last Friday evening I ended up going to bed around 1am - far later than usual for a Friday night...getting up at 7 and I really felt that (and I didn't have the best nights sleep). As soon as I started running I felt it. So yes...more sleep essential!
    The run I did yesterday (4:55 pace) felt about right - little bit pushing but not too much so I was out of breath or finding it difficult.

[quote] And 20-30 minute tempo/lactate threshold runs at 4:50/km.[/quote]

Would this be during an 'easier' run i.e. run at 5:30 for 20 mins (say) then 20-30 mins at 4:50, or just a single run at that time/pace?
    Not completely up on the terminology but does a 'quality' run equate to a tempo/lactate run (15-20% of my weekly running distance)?

BTW - I have a constant struggle with my lower back - only really started when I ceased doing martial arts (an awful amount of stretching work doing that - no suprise my body stiffened when I stopped). Then did tennis for a couple of years (back still an issue).
    Doc advised to see physio (I haven't yet) but running perhaps wouldn't be the best idea (pressure on the lower spine). However, it's a fair bit better than it was since I've upped the amount of times I'm running (it was so bad at one stage I was bent double and in utter agony....honestly thought I'd end up with either surgery or heavy doses of medication). Just started pidgeon stretching and will carry out more stretching (like I used to do in martial arts). Losing a little weight has helped (and I swim a fair bit too).

Many thanks again - excellent advice there - really appreciated.
  • Options
    Fair enough about wanting to keep it casual and not get too into it. In that case the main thing is just to enjoy it, and whatever it takes to keep it fun. If you thought of making things more varied purely in terms of interest/enjoyment rather than stressing different systems to provoke different physiological adaptations (phew), then it would be a win-win.

Your description of how you feel running at 4:55/km is spot on for how it "should" feel for a 22:30 runner. It's the predicted lactate threshold pace (Jack Daniels again) for a runner of that level (the pace at which the speed your muscles produce lactic acid is matched by the speed your body can clear it away - any faster and you get lactic acid build-up i.e. fatigue). Running at this pace for 20-30 mins is called a tempo run, usually described as "comfortably hard", and is a great thing to do. However, it should only be once or twice a week, with most runs being easy (5:30).

I fail to run at easy pace 95% of the time, and naturally gravitate to just under lactate threshold pace, known as no-mans-land. (So my training diary basically consists of "between easy and tempo - must slow down!" repeated endlessly). For me it feels by far the most natural pace to run at. Going slower almost feels like harder work. However, if you can force yourself to slow down, that's what people recommend.

A "quality" session just means any reasonably intense workout - tempo run, hills, intervals, proper long run, etc. You could do a 20 min tempo run by itself, or alternate threshold and easy paces throughout a run (e.g. run 2K at 4:50/K then run easy for 1 min, and repeat 2 or 3 more times). Standard advice is for 'quality' miles to be about 20% of total.

Re lower back, definitely worth getting a physio appt and telling them you plan to run more. Strengthening the back muscles will help, obviously.

If you're interested, here are the Daniels paces for a 22:30 runner:
    Easy - 5:35-6:15/K
    Marathon (specifically for marathon training, basically a faster easy pace) - 5:10/K
    Threshold (tempo runs) - 4:50/K
    Interval (e.g. 5 x 1K with 2 min rests) - 4:25/K
    Repetition (e.g. 4 x 400m with 2:30 rests) - 98s/400m
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Excellent advice again James. I was tempted to go for another run this evening but my knees and back are a little sore today (the back issue shows it teeth a little more fiercely every now and then). I'll listen to my body and have a night off (no running/jogging or swimming etc).

Yes...the keeping it casual thing is more a case of not wanting to wear our my 'new toy' due to overplay, or to the point it becomes a 'have to do' thing rather than me deciding (one of the reasons I left a few clubs - tennis for example - you have to commit time when, with a family of children, you really cannot do that.)
    With running, door to door I can be back in 30 mins (whilst stretching in the house). A longer run will be an hour (not at that stage yet - will try a weekly 10k in a couple of weeks). A night playing a match/going to a club is pretty much the whole night...and I honestly enjoy the solitude sometimes (I'm reconnecting to listening to music, another pastime that gets subdued when you have a bunch of kids!!)

As for the gym, there's one literally behind our house. With a pool there it makes sense as I'm currently driving a few miles to my current pool (my daughter swims for a club there, but is currently out of training for a while). Despite always being against gyms, I popped along with a free pass (my other half goes there)...and really enjoyed it (the bar is ace :o )! Treadmill, spin (technology in these places help!) and a swim after...I could see it coming in handy for cross training.
    Vague plans are generally increasing my fitness somewhat (and I'm amazed I can now actually run further than 1k) and a few 5ks and 10ks, perhaps a half marathon and also triathlons (I did a 100 mile ride a few years ago...nearly finished me off for good - mind you, I didn't train properly and cycled on a clunky mountain bike!).

I've found a Jack Daniels book online (wish list/bookmarked it (presumably the 'Running Formula'?) so I'll definitely pick that up.
    For the current park run 5k I'm after sub 22 as my next step - what you've written makes perfect sense (lactic threshold). I do hit a wall when running at this speed (it's a pretty flat race with a running track at the start and finish). For the final strait down the track I'm blowing all cylinders...totally exhausted at the end (but it's a wonderful feeling for the rest of the weekend - something quite unique I'm picking up from running).

I guess I'm a little unsure as to how I would better this if I'm pacing much lower for 80% (ish) of my runs i.e. will I always be a 22:30ish finisher or can this be chipped at significantly over time, even with my pacing at 5:30?

BTW - I trialled a bit of that fartlek last night - loved having a right old burst of speed followed by a gentle jog. Will definitely fit that into routines.

Sorry - another question...I'm currently increasing by 10% each week (this week I'm no 5.3k) - if I want to try a 10k (say at 5:30 pace) would it advisable to wait till that 10% increase hits 10k, or maybe peak out at 6ks (works for me time wise) but then carry out a 10k once a week anyway?

It is tempting to run at the pace threshold you mention and feels tricky slowing down...but I'll give it a whirl!

Huge thanks for the advice once again - it's massively helping with the motivation (and injury prevention etc).

Cheers.
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay, been travelling.

Running Formula, that's the one. Make sure it's the current 3rd edition (female runner on the cover wearing no. 25).

Do you warm up before a parkrun by the way? Jog 2-3K, do some drills?

There are several reasons why easy/conversational running makes you race faster. Strengthens your heart and increases your stroke volume (you only need to run at about 60% of max heart rate to get this benefit which probably feels very slow), strengthens your bones and joints, stimulates the growth of new capillaries around your muscles, increases the number of mitochondria in your muscles cells (energy production units), your body gets better at burning fat for fuel, the list goes on. Harder running improves different systems (lactate, VO2max, neuromuscular, etc.) which is why it's good to do a mix.

So easy runs by themselves will make you race faster. (Up to a point - you need to keep progressing to continue improving e.g. increasing mileage and doing harder sessions.) Under 20 mins should definitely be achievable if you want it.

For these short runs, don't worry about 10% here and there. Just do an easy 10K asap (say 53 mins or slower) and if it feels ok then do an easy 10-13K once a week or so, maybe a 40-min fartlek or a 20-min tempo (4:50 pace), and then scatter around some 5-8K easy runs (5:20 or slower). Now and then finish an easy run with strides (4-6 short sprints of 10-15 secs each, rest 45sec between, proper fast and relaxed but not flat out). You could do 25-50K a week with that and you would definitely improve but it shouldn't feel too committed or prescriptive. That comes later :-)
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Hi James - perfect post once again. All utterly digestable without an ounce of fat!

Yes - that sounds like an ideal plan for me and doable I reckon (knee and back issues aside).
    I managed 22:10 at last weekends park run (started late last year around 26 mins), so time is being chipped away.
    I do like the prescriptive nature if I'm honest...I like working to a laser guided plan.
    I'm a sucker for detail and the science behind things. As a slight aside, I spent a few months last year making 'proper' pizzas...and using small adjustments to percentages etc worked tremendously. So...I'm totally behind this :)

That's the book version I've saved (latest edition) so I'll pick it soon enough.
    This week I've ran 5.8k's: Monday at a 5:07 pace (was struggling to go slower!) and then again last night (I'm doing the odd consequtive run now, should I be up for it) I paced down to 5:17...still a little over.
    Bit of pain in the left groin/hip (hard to pinpoint) and back but not particularly bad.
    Otherwise that felt like a nice, easy pace (chatting pace).
    When I'd finished the 5.8k distance I then ran 100m at 3:41...just for a bit of fun really, but will do some fartlek training this week.
    With the light and weather better, I have a new route along a river which is really pleasant (and tends to be very busy with other runners). If I go the other way, there's an equally pleasant river run (plus one that goes around a 'nature park')...then east and west go through urban villages. I have a good mix of routes now.

Will try and fit in that 10k soon. I think after a few of these easy pace runs, I should be ok for a longer traverse.

"For these short runs, don't worry about 10% here and there. Just do an easy 10K asap (say 53 mins or slower) and if it feels ok then do an easy 10-13K once a week or so, maybe a 40-min fartlek or a 20-min tempo (4:50 pace)."

Would you class that 5k park run as a 20 min tempo by the way?

"Now and then finish an easy run with strides (4-6 short sprints of 10-15 secs each, rest 45sec between, proper fast and relaxed but not flat out)"

I've not fully understood this bit - and it's my lack of terminology rather than the way you've described it: So, 30 min 6k run (for example) then at the end time 10-15 secs sprints...then rest as in stop, walk or v gentle pace?
    Probably a little similar to what I did last night, but I only did the 100m fast sprint.

Many thanks again - crucial advice that's much appreciated.
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Forget to mention I tend to neglect the warm ups a little before the park runs. I'll do a little stretching before I head out, then maybe a paced lap of the running track (so around 400 metres warm up?).
    Bit of a bad habit I'll start to rectify. There's a few park runs near me (one literally a 5 min walk) but the one I go to is around a 20 min drive. Bit of a struggle to get all prepared on a saturday morning then head there early, but I'll endeavour to get there early and do a couple of laps at least (5:30 pace?).

This weekends park run came in at 21:41 (my first Park run late last year was around 25:41 - heading in the right direction!).
    Also carried out my first 10k yesterday - everything good: knees, not at all out of breath, steady pace...but I seem to have picked up a groin injury last week. I ran the park run with this at the weekend but it disappeared after a few minutes. Yesterdays 10k really flared it up (and my lower back). Will look into that injury (bit more stretching perhaps required!) but will rest a couple of days now (or at least till I think it's cleared).
    Hampered me all throughout that run (made it easier to maintain that slower pace on the upside :) )

Cheers.
  • Options
    22:30 down to 21:40, nice one :smiley: . How did that feel, and was there more left in the tank? Did you feel that any part was straining/limiting more than others? Legs, glutes, core, breathing, etc.

Any reason why you drive 20 mins rather than do the one round the corner? Yes, proper easy pace for the warmup, 5:30 is fine. A few drills a couple of mins before the start would be good, e.g. forward/backward lunges and butt kicks - easy to find on Youtube.

Pity about the strains and back. Static stretching (hold a stretch for 10-20 secs) after a run does help - try a few and get a routine going (again Youtube's good for this). Calf stretches really do it for me (two types: straight leg (gastrocnemius) and and bent leg (soleus)). It sounds like you should get your back looked at.

"Would you class that 5k park run as a 20 min tempo by the way?"
    If you go flat out then no, you're well over lactate threshold and it counts as a hard session that needs at least a day or two recovery. If you run it just comfortably hard (4:40 pace based on 21:40) then yes, it's a perfect tempo run.

"Now and then finish an easy run with strides (4-6 short sprints of 10-15 secs each, rest 45sec between, proper fast and relaxed but not flat out)"

Re strides, "30 min 6k run (for example) then at the end time 10-15 secs sprints...then rest as in stop, walk or v gentle pace?"
    You've got it. At the end of an easy run, take a couple mins rest then relaxed sprint (good form, quick feet) for 10-15 secs, rest 45 secs (walk or super easy jog), repeat 3-5 times for 4-6 total. The aim is not fitness, it's more neuromuscular - get used to running fast but without intensity, and improve running form. If you struggle to complete them you're probably going too hard, they should be quite light and fun. Ideal to do on grass by the way.

Sorry to make these posts so long, but just a couple of other things. (I'm basically blurting out everything from Jack Daniels - sorry for the spoilers :-)

1. Cadence - the ideal is meant to be 180 steps per minute. Some disagree and say just go with what feels natural. I thought that, but very deliberately increased from my 'natural' 150-155 (which I now see is really very slow) to 170-175, and it absolutely makes a difference. Feels lighter, faster, lower effort - in cycling terms, spinning vs. grinding. Took a little while and felt odd at first but I do recommend it.

2. Recovery - after a training session:
    1-5 days = fatigue
    5-8 days = start to make adaptations
    10-20 days = full benefit from the session
    20 days = start to lose adaptations
    These times vary a bit by intensity of the session, but a good rule of thumb is you get the benefit of a session 8-10 days after doing it. Or, next week you get the benefit of what you did last week.

Once again, well done for getting your time down by a big chunk, great stuff. Sub-21 next, then sub-20 :smile:
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Thanks James - and your posts are not at all too long.
    Actually, it went 22:30 t0 22:10 then this weekend 21:40. I'm pretty sure until I increase the training (following the guides you posted on here, which are already benefitting) I won't shave much off for a while (I believe it eventually goes to nicking a new PB every 4-6 weeks?).

The final 100 metres (the straight on the track) I do go all out and by the finish line I'm all out...eyes closed, sweat pouring and doubled over...there's a bench I just lean on for a few moments before I 'come round'. Of course, once that passes I'm elated all weekend (even more so when a new PB is announced).

As for the location, I will try the one across the road, but a friend of mine introduced me to this one and he's there every week. Old drinking buddy of mine (same age) who's been running way longer than me (he's on/around 18 mins currently). So I catch up with him, I've started chatting to others there...it has a track...I have a routine and it just feels right :)

The rest of your post makes complete sense - fully digested like the other bits of advice above.
    Cadence - is this literally the amount of steps you would take in a minute?
    Does this mean you can keep the same pace (say 5:30) but just add more steps, or would you then naturally pick up your pace? Struggling to visualise this one (although I get the cylcing analogy).
    Should I be quickening my gentle weekly run pace from 5:30 if my 5k is now 21:40 (I haven't picked that book up yet for reference)?

May have overdone it last week: 3 consequtive 6k runs - after third run felt the groin niggle. Two days off, still a bit of a niggle saturday morning but ran the park run anyway (pain disappeared during the race) then ran my first 10k the next day (painful throughout).
    I'll stick a post on the health board as I'm a little concerned - hurts a bit when I walk so I'll lay off running for a few days at least.

Many thanks again!!
  • Options
    Good idea to lay off for a few days; get some cross-training in. Injury is a pita, but you can reduce the likelihood with strength training and good running form.

Talking of which, cadence - yes, the no. of times you hit the ground in a minute. There's a few reasons why higher is good (JD popularised the idea), but one thing is that it automatically improves some aspects of running form/mechanics, which is good for economy and reducing injury risk. The idea is to keep cadence roughly constant and change speed by changing stride length. To get used to it you could use a metronome app, play a 180bpm song in your head, etc. It's worth counting your steps mid-run sometimes to see what you're at.

5:30 probably feels very slow. I feel Daniels' easy paces are a bit slow in general - for a 21:50 runner he says 5:23-6:03. But he also says you can use marathon pace instead which would be 4:57. Go for 5:15, but remember easy should really mean easy - breathing through nose, or talking aloud. You can measure your breathing as well: 4/4 (4 steps to breathe in, 4 steps to breathe out) should be no problem at easy pace. (High cadence helps here as well - if you commit to 4/4 breathing, that's a good incentive to take short fast steps!)

Good luck with the niggles & strains - definitely err on the conservative side with that.

By the way, there's a great Daniels lecture here, split into 25 bite-sized pieces - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJVtPT6rHo&list=PLlMHliIIR6Fm3aN2mOZ77fq-eovn5dNn0
  • Options
    Ah, it embeds the video in the post. Click the YouTube button bottom-right corner to watch it in YouTube itself, then you can see the other segments listed down the right-hand side - probably easier to navigate.
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Thanks James. Cross training at the moment is down to swimming, but my daughter is off training at the moment and her squad pool is a good few miles away, so it's less an incentive to travel there (factoring in the time as well)...I'm highly tempted to join this gym which is 'literally' behind our house. There I can spin/cycle, tread and swim at any time of the day (and only 2 mins door to door)...I know they're sometimes frowned upon (at one time I absolutelty abhorred the idea of gym!), but it might be rather handy :)

Like the sound of cadence training (never crossed my mind).
    Wondering how I can best manage that on a run. I have a feeling my tomtom runner 3 will now allow me to track this mid run (unlike some of the more expensive Garmins with accelorometers?). It will post the results post run (I just checked the tomtom sports app) and lo and behold my average is around 159 for most runs - my park run fast runs edge up to 167.
    I'll give it a test next time I run (maybe try a gentle one this evening...groin not fully better mind). If I've got this right, I should check my average pace (say 5:15) is fairly constant whilst taking more steps/strides than I would normally do...but not increaing my pace consciously?
    I always said I wouldn't get too much into the gear and technicalities with running (stick on some cheap running kit and go...) but I can why that won't really work in the long term :)
    Do you personally put faith in the process of checking for the correct trainers via running analysis/gait checks? I picked up some discount brooks a year or two ago (though I hardly ever used them until late last year).

I'll have a good look at that vid you posed.

Many thanks once again.
  • Options
    Know what you mean about gyms but great to have one so close. Getting some dumbbells at home is also worthwhile.

With the cadence, just try to keep it high at all paces (it naturally increases as your pace increases - you wouldn't do an easy jog at the same strike rate as a flat out sprint). It sounds like your default is around 160. That's higher than mine was, but if I run at 160 now it feels slow and awkward. Before a regular run decide on a figure, say 170, and try and stick to it, and edge up to 175-180 over time. I looked up some familiar songs on songbpm.com and djbpmstudio.com between 170-180 and got them going in my head which worked well. Try it at different paces e.g. a fartlek - same cadence, different speeds.

Re gait analysis, I haven't done it but it comes up on here regularly so have a search - there's a range of opinions. My gut feel is that it would be useful done properly in a lab, but in a regular shop, not so sure.
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Thanks James - I'll try some methods and use the report at the end of the run to see how (if) they increase. Without trying it out, it seems like I'll be running like a small bird and I always associated long strides with better speeds.
    I'll let you know how I get on.
    Groin pain is barely perceptable now...I might go for a small run later or have the weekend to fully recover (and miss tomorrows park run)...unchartered territory for me.
    I had a look at a Dr. Metzl video on these boards - actually very helpful in pinpointing exactly where my pain was (and what it could be). Not a quick recovery by all accounts, but I suspect I've strained/pulled rather than injured something enough to look at more drastic options.

The video you posted of Jack Daniels was very helpful to: helped with the info you'd already given me. Will look at many more of those.

Yeah...I'm half dubious about the trainers testing in stores...I know I have a high arch (usual I guess) but no idea if there are trainers there that can help with other elements of my running style.
    The more I step up running the closer I'm getting to seeing a physio (I spoke with somebody yesterday and recommended somebody I 'kind of' know who teaches Pilates but is also a qualified physio...another option.

I'll let you know how I get in re the cadence (if I run this weekend).

Many thanks.
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Skipped the park run as I thought the extra push might take the groin back to square one (or worse).
    Whether a harder 5k is worse or better than a gentle 5k I simply don't know (merely presumed one over the other).
    So I did a gentle 5.5k later in the afternoon (In the glorious sun). Tried to concentrate on the cadence/number of steps. Very difficult to remain at the designated pace (around 5:20) and add more steps. Felt like I was trotting, but also felt like different muscles were coming into play (upper things, lower calves and glutes?). It also made me more upright (and I guess the muscles were ensuring that). Does that sound about right? I only increased to 163 (up from 159 on these gentle pace runs)...possible to increase even further at that pace?
    I haven't really read up much about it, but I will (any Jack Daniels videos on the subject perhaps?).

Many thanks.
  • Options
    Exactly - you feel different muscles being used, and feels harder work overall. It's hard to keep the pace down at first but it soon gets easy. Like I said, I was 150-155 and now am 170-175 by default, which didn't take long. I'm grateful for it on a long uphill or tiring on a long run, as the effort per step is significantly lower.

You mentioned Dr. Metzl. I looked him up and found his Ironstrength workout which looks excellent - I'll try it out tomorrow.
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    What speed are you doing those 170-175 steps at James? Good point re the hills, though I don't have that many on tap (you have to go and find them).
    Not only the different muscles, but I suspect it could better my running stance as it makes me more 'upright', rather than slouching by grinding in larger steps.

I've learned a fair bit already from Dr. Metzl (only in New York eh?!)...same with Jack Daniels :)

Leg still not 100% - ran a 6.5k two days ago and will probably run another tonight. Worth considering a fartlek the night before a park run (as in Friday evening), or is it best to keep it gentle the day before (and indeed the day after??).

Cheers.
  • Options
    I generally keep around that cadence at all speeds, even though it feels more natural at faster pace (e.g. intervals) than at long run easy pace.

Don't do a hard session the day before if you're going to race the parkrun! For a proper race you'd taper 10-20 days beforehand depending on length, which means you can't treat every parkrun as a PB effort (well, you can but you won't be rested for it and it'll bugger up your overall training). If you do a parkrun every week it makes sense to treat most of them as tempo runs (threshold pace, around 4:40) and maybe every 4th-6th one as an all-out race/PB effort. For that one, wind down 2-3 days before and 3-4 days after.

See above (April 3) about recovery times after hard sessions, and remember you only get the benefit of a session 8-10 days after doing it, so going hard in the days before a race only tires you out for no benefit.

In one of those Daniels videos he talks about running at 5K race pace, and says it's good for an actual race, or feeling what that speed feels like, but otherwise it has no specific physiological purpose - it's better to run slower (easy/marathon/threshold paces) or faster (interval/rep paces) depending on what system you're stressing.

And rest that leg :smile:
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    Ace advice again James.
    I wasn't going to concern myself too much with the science and 'gear' when I started up running...but it's utterly inevitable (especially from someone like me who obsesses over details!!).
    If I find time this evening, I'll watch that entire lecture.

Is there any benefit to running the night before a run just to keep your weekly distances up rather than have any effect, unless you tire yourself out with a hard run? Was thinking of doing a little interval or fartlek but perhaps this might render me a little tired in the morning (and they're early starts!)

I ran 10.5k last night - 5:28 pace - with a decent hill in the middle (which, surprisingly, doesn't seem so steep when driving!). Cadence stuck at 161...really struggling to adopt a technique to make more steps per minute without increasing my pace/speed. I'll have to view a few examples online...any more steps and I swear I'd be trotting on the spot!
    Left leg isn't fully fit, but it does seem to be linked to a hip pain and lower back sciatica. This morning it's barely noticeable (in other words, it hasn't worsened due to the run).
    Perhaps I'll lay off running tonight and rest it for tomorrow?
    Inevitable as I step up running I'll need to check with a physio (and maybe new trainers). I'm also terrible at neglecting warms ups and post run stretches. I'll be cycling as the car is elsewhere (it's 5 miles away - class this as a sufficient warm up?)

Many thanks.
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    BTW - just checked and there are three Park runs closer than this one (in case the bike breaks)! :neutral:
    I'll try another one of these soon enough, but I've got very attached to the current course and people :)
  • Options
    somapopsomapop ✭✭✭
    ...Edit (is there an Edit function on these boards?) - there's actually SIX in the area as close or closer to this one...there's a lot of them about now isn't there?!
  • Options
    Running the night before - a short easy run is fine (say 6K@5:30), but not longer or faster if you want to be fresh. If a race was in the evening you wouldn't do a hard interval session in the morning. It's just balancing length/intensity, recovery time, and your expectations for the next parkrun.

On the cadence thing, don't worry about it at slow speeds. I've been saying I go at 175 at all paces, but actually that's not true, because in practice I never run at easy pace. I plan easy runs but do all of them at marathon or half marathon pace (sometimes at threshold or a couple of times even interval pace - new PBs, lol), and although I know it was too fast I still sort of kid myself it was basically an easy run. It's a bad habit.

With that in mind I've done some proper easy runs this week (5:20-5:40) and my cadence goes down to mid-160s even though it still feels high. I dish out the advice but I should take it myself :smiley: So, try to keep it high even at slow speeds, but don't worry about reaching 180 on easy runs.

I know what you mean about getting into the details. My ability to spout theory is miles ahead of my current performance, but whatever - if it helps interest and motivate you then go for it (just keep it fun at the same time).

Last thing, force yourself to do some kind of warmup and post-run stretching. Easy runs don't need a warmup (some lunges and buttkicks are quick to do though), but tempos/intervals do (2-3K easy pace, a few drills). 5 miles/8K is too much. And stretching after a run is a really good idea; I didn't used to, then started, and noticed the good effects on recovery (possibly placebo, but I suspect not). If you've got some underlying niggles, stretching and warming up should be a priority. Probably the same for strengthening exercises.