Options

Struggling to balance autoimmune condition and training.

So for the last four years (i started running about the same time) i have been dealing with an autoimmune disease (hashimotos) and because im quite young it never really directly effected my running.... Until lately.

So about may/june last year my running times peaked (6:30 mile/22:30 5k) and my endurance peaked (was finally going over ten miles for long runs) and i was doing great.
Then about july/august i started to feel extremely fatigued diring exercise like i was going to fall asleep (i had this anyway because of my health condition but around then it got WAY worse) but i didnt mind pushing through it bit even though i was trying so hard my times were slowing down drastically- i went from averaging 6.5-8.5 minute miles to getting EXTREMELY out of breath doing 8 - 9 minute miles whoch just isnt right.

I thought because i recently peaked in training that maybe it was time for a rest and that should sort things out. And even though i was still doing light easy runs (untimed pace- anywhere between one and three times a week)- i wasnt feeling any more rested. And i rested for a good six months.

Anyway recently i decided that enough is enough with the resting- i need to get back into it because not running was driving me insane. My depression was getting extremely bad and i physically cannot rest anymore than i already have done.

Ive been running/training again for A couple of months now so ive definitely given my body time to adjust but still, so ething doesnt seem right. My fastest 5ks are still coming in over 25 minutes and i am still feeling very out of breath and abnormally fatigued achieving these times even though they were very easy to me at an earlier point. I have to add that my endurance seems incredibly weakened too. Im running about three times per week now and my endurance doesnt really doesnt seem to be getting any better like it has done before. Im still trying to take it easy because i really dont want to stress my body out right now because that seems to make things worse but i just seem to be losing fitness no matter what path i take.

Also may i add that my nutrition is near perfect right now aswell. Hitting good macros and getting a LOT of vitamins. Im also getting 8 hours of sleep per night and staying hydrated. I just dont know what else i am to do right now. The psychological impact of losing pretty much most of my stamina and a fair amount of speed and desperately trying to regain it and not really getting anywhere is really crushing me right now. Has anybody else ever dealt with this kind of thing before and how on earth do you work your way around it? I just feel like im fighting a losing battle right now. I really want to Return to my pre-flare up levels of fitness.

Comments

• Options
    Have you had your TSH, T4, B12 and iron levels checked (ferritin as well as Hb)? If not that would be my starting point.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    KATJHKATJH ✭✭✭
    Yes TSH came back normal. T4 slightly under. Im hypo apparently.. No major impact on thyroid just yet but the condition seems to be wrecking havoc on my body inflammation-wise.

Never had my B12 checked but i am in the process of working with a doctor who is going to test my nutrient stores.
  • Options
    When my TSH is below 2 I feel absolutely pants - even though that's within the 'normal' range so worth finding out what your number is. B12 deficiency can be diagnosed by your GP (and will need to be if you have pernicious anaemia).
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    KATJHKATJH ✭✭✭
    Thyroids are strange things. Everybody has a different normal.
    I know managing autoimmune conditions are all about finding an individual lifestyle and getting on the right medications that work best for your own body. It's just fristrating when i want to throw my mentally into running.
    For most people, their mental approach is what limits them- for all of us when autoimmune- it's the other way round. Well for me it is anyway. My physical state cant keep up woth my mental state lol.

By the way, do ypu know anything about this disease or B12 affecting heart rate recovery? My recovery has gotten worse ever since I felt this way (70 bpm in two minutes down to about 55-60bpm in two minutes)

Im having a blood test to see where my thyroid is currently at in a few weeks. I was on levothyroxine last year but was advised to stop them because of side effects. My GP says my blood work will indicate which medication is best suited when we get the test done/results back.
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Wait for blood test results.
    If you were advised to stop taking levothyroxine then you need to get more advice as having Hashimoto's which is the (hypo) underactive thyroid is normally resolved when on the correct dose of levothyroxine.
    It sounds like you could be internalising your stress which is making you feel so rotten.
    If the thyroid levels are really depressed then any activity will feel hard. I still remember when the GP first suspected my diagnosis and told me to stop running, as a gentle 3 miles was in fact like doing a half marathon race each time. Once on the tablets I slowly regained my fitness and have continued to do sport for 20 years.

• Options
    KATJHKATJH ✭✭✭
    Yes- they are going to put me back on thyroid medication eventually- they are just taking the time to analyse my body, blood amd hormones to see which one is more likely to work before they put me back on them. They go into more deatil because i am getting this done under a private Doctor. Ive also been dairy/gluten free which is supposed to be a big factor in helping with hashimotos and it seems to be helping a little.

Yeah, the stress doesnt help me. I must admit, ive done one and only one half marathon last year and it felt a lot easier than doing my easy/moderate three mile runs now. I attempted to go for a five mile run earlier and only made it three miles. I will take it easy fir now and attempt that again at a later date.
    Even with the stress, I do however have hope that this problem will one day be resolved. Im fighting as hard as i can. Your comment about finding the right medication and being able to eventually continue also gives me hope.