Greater Manchester Marathon

Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
Just in case anyone ran last year and was put off giving it another try due to the horrendous bag queue, this year they got it right. I didn't have to wait at all. They also included the foil blankets in the goody bag so everyone had one (not that they were needed quite so much due to the sunshine).
The whole experience was light years ahead of last year.

Comments

• Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Glad to hear that, Call. Thanks for posting that. I was put off running it this year because of those concerns (and the short course, which was also put right). I'll be there next year! 

How did you find the course? For some reason, it was drastically changed from last year, adding in many twists and turns
  • ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭
    My fourth Manchester and after last year I was reluctant to return. They certainly have learnt from last year. Parking spot on, water and gel stations were great and the atmosphere was brilliant. The only negative was the queue to the car parks,which I doubt they could do much about.The course was a little turny twisty than last year,but this was only in the first few miles and it remains a very quick course.
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Absolutely faultless. The best big city marathon I've done and a million times better than last year.

Great route. Super support. Fantastic gel and water stations. Perfect baggage handling. Lovely free Erdinger. I do not have one single criticism. Felt like royalty in the exclusive athletes village at the cricket ground too. Every single lesson from previous years learnt. Can't wait to book again for next year. Flat as a pancake and a 4 min PB (3:09)
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    First time I ran Manchester and was very impressed by the organisation of the race.  Great water stations, plenty of gel stations. Great reception at the finish. So close to the metro for a quick get to and get away.  A good fast course with great local support in many places.  PB here too. Think the flat course, great conditions on the day and the number of sub 3 chasing runners massively helped.  Would do again - not next year as other plans but certainly after that.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sol2 - I preferred this year's course - last year's start along the bypass was a bit dull. I mean, it's not really the most interesting course overall but the leafy streets are pleasant enough and the crowd support is top notch. I'll be back, though I'd like to try a different race next year.
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Agreed 100 percent, the new start was an awful lot better. Really enjoyed running through the houses rather than the industrial estate!