London or not

Looking for opinions rather than medical advice.

Doing VLM on the 23rd and last Sunday (10th) got a calf strain 1 mile into a run. I aborted the run immediately and managed to prevent further damage, so I don't have a weight bearing or limp problem. But -I won't be able to try any kind of run for a week which leaves me just a few days to try a couple of miles or so before the marathon.

Would you risk doing London or not?

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Depends how bad the calf strain is.   I did a similar thing last year, I rested with some gentle stretches for a few days.  Then was able to run a hilly marathon with the calf strapped.   I don't think I would have been able to do it without having the Kinesio tape though.

So strap the calf before your test run next week and then decide.   Plenty of good videos on YouTube on how to tape up the calf if you don't want to visit a physio.   It was the taping that gave me the confidence to run the marathon. 
  • Thanks Shades. Never used the tape and as far as I'm aware, 'the jury is ou't on it's effecacy. Might be worth a try though
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    The tape is much easier to use than you might think, I was very wary too about using it.   For me it just felt like it was supporting the calf muscle enough that I could run normally and it stopped that feeling that you get when you worry that a muscle might just 'go'.

But of course it does depend on how serious your calf strain is.
  • How far out from race day was your problem? My past experience tells me 3 weeks rehab/repair is OK but 2 is a bit risky...I will have 2. I would definitely say though that my strain is only a grade 1. I'm 5 days post and it feels absolutely fine walking about, going up and down stairs, double heel raises etc, but I know that's different from running, or even, say, hopping.

I've bought some tape and will try it for nothing.

I'm looking for reassurance :-)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    It was 13 days.  My calf went 'pop' in a marathon, most peculiar feeling.

I taped it up a couple of days after injuring it and kept it taped all the time.   Tape lasts about 5 days before needing replacing.   I was concerned as my next race was very hilly and I really didn't think my calf would hold on the steep uphills but it did.   Bizarrely I was a little slower on the downhills than I would be normally due to the calf.

Now you've bought the tape, you need to use it.  It was much easier to use than I expected.  Just watch a couple of YouTube clips.

• Many thanks. 
    I've watched about 8 videos and all have different stretch amounts and different application areas.  Some go over pain area whilst others go either side.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I did a strip each side of the calf, making a V shape of the tape, then I put a horizontal strip across the pain point .  Don't overthink it, I did that and spent far too long thinking I was going to do it wrong.   Once I was applying the tape it was so much easier than I thought.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Let me know how you get on
  • Looking for reassurance: can I ask -were you limping after your calf went 'pop' and did you do any running at all within your 13 days -or did you just go for it on the day?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just going to read back in my training diary...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Right, Sunday -calf popped in race, was very sore.  I slowed down and took painkillers and finished the race.

Monday - I realised injury was to soleus, sore to touch and sore to stretch. 
    Tuesday -taped up injury and rested, just a little gentle walking.
    Wednesday - short slow run on flat, sore to stretch and slight pain at end of run and after run.
    Didn't do much in following days, kept calf taped and a couple of short easy runs on the flat, just a slight discomfort.   Took 3 consecutive rest days before hilly marathon
    13 days after injury ran very hilly marathon with calf taped, calf was sore during the race but only on the downhills.   I made a note that the day after the race my legs were trashed but my calf was OK.   I still kept it strapped for another 10 days though.

Have you managed to strap your calf up, does it feel any better?

• Thanks Shades.
    I'm trying my first jog tomorrow -day 10 post injury. Been doing lots of walking (did 6 yesterday and another 6 the day before) and no problems at all with that. I do have it strapped up, but still not sure about the stuff. Will see how it feels tomorrow when running.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    SSLHP - I did a similar thing 6 days out (Monday) from Manchester last year. I thought I had blown all the training. Was sore and limping when walking the next day. Was still a bit sore when tested it jogging on Wednesday so rested until the Saturday when I did a few miles with a few MP strides. In the race calf felt a bit sore from about 10km but kept to my planned pace and the calf didn't slow me down at all. I didn't use any tape or anything else. It really depends on how bad the tear is I guess.
  • Thanks HA77. I have a few experiences with torn calves over the years, so pretty sure this is not too bad. Deffo not a grade 2.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SSLHP - well you've done a lot of walking so that is good news.   In my recent recovery plan for my hip/groin injury I had to do a lot of fast walking and I found that my calf muscles were really starting to feel that.  So you've probably done the best rehab that you could do for the calf strain.

HA77 - you did really well to recover and run Manchester at your planned pace.

I think the trouble with a calf injury it preys on your mind that it could easily go again, I find the tape gives me a bit of confidence not to worry about it.
  • Shades. Yes, I agree. Part of rehab is telling your brain to stop focusing the injury!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    For something that we enjoy doing so much we shouldn't spend so much time worrying about it...but that's easier said than done.

All you can do is take each mile at a time, wipe from your mind the last couple of weeks and enjoy the occasion of the race.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Shades - It wasn't anything I did that got me through. Just luck really that the injury wasn't that bad. I went into the race knowing my fitness was pretty good and wanted to give it everything I had, even if it meant risking not finishing with an injury. I guess it really depends on whether finishing or running a good time is more important. I felt like I might not get to that level of fitness again so really didn't mind taking the risk.

SSLHP - Good luck with the run today. Sounds like you know what you're doing. I think your approach is sensible and will give you the best possible chance of running a good race on Sunday.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    HA77 - it's so difficult to judge whether a pain/niggle is an injury and how serious it is.   Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and run your race and often that injury is no worse at the end of the race and even gone away.
  • For a big muscle like that, if possible, I wait until I'm pain free... and then be patient for another week (ish).  Personally, I've never used tape, but I know people who rate it.  I have worn long compression socks that just felt like it gave that bit of support that brings more confidence.
  • Update:

Did a 3 mile test run 2 days before and all was OK so decided to run the marathon.

The good news is that the calf was absolutely fine throughout. The bad news is that my 'head went' at mile 19 and couldn't recover from alternating between running and walking. Finished 25 mins slower than my PB (not that I was attempting to get close to it) But at least I was on the start and finish line.

Thanks for your help and reassurance. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear you finished and the calf is fine, did you run with it taped?

Can't help re the 'head went', unfortunately that happens a lot in marathons

• Yep. Had it taped. The kenesiology tape stand, offering free taping, was the busiest!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Well done, glad the calf held up. Just wondering if you felt like the tape made much difference?
  • hmmm. Not sure really. I'm still a bit skeptical about it. Psychologically it worked.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well as a treatment, even if it was a placebo effect it did the job without any harm. 
  • Hi guys,

think i've done something similar 3 weeks out from running the stockholm marathon.

Can i please ask what tape you guys would recommend? i've never used it before?

Thanks
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭