VLM 2018!!

Comments

• StevieWh.

You said

I may be wrong but with following a pacer surely it depends on what time you put on your entry form? I.e I put down 4 hours when I entered 11 months ago but I am now looking at a 3.15 target, so I will likely be 2/3 pens back from the pacer. Also with the wave starts I'm assuming this would make it near impossible for me to follow the pacer.

Short answer is

No you are not wrong but please don't blame the pacers lol

We all pace at to finish in a time we can guarantee.

I need to make sure I can deliver on the day so all those following me are not let down - luckily I have my co-pacing partner Patsy Baker to drag me around
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Sorry Harmander I wasn't blaming the Pacers! You all do a brilliant job!

Just frustrating that the start pens are decided by a time goal set 11 months ago. Oh well, is what it is! 

Would people recommend spectators come to the start area to wave me off or not bother?
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    StevieWh - it's nice to have people to do the commute with you but you have to leave them before you go in. I always try and go through to the start area by 9am ish to give plenty of time to put bag in, stretch properly, toilet x 4!
  • StevieWh.
    With the DLR possibly on strike those waving you off the start will have a challenge to to reach Tower Hill/Tower Bridge at 12.5 miles in time to see you through the crowds already there in 1 hour 40 minutes  unless the hung around until you came around again at 22.75 miles.
    PS - I know you wasn't blaming us - have a great run.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Stevie - are you on Red Start?
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Nicko - I'm on Blue start as a ballot place.

Thanks for the advice. Current plan is for my family to head to Canada Water to see me at mile 9/11 and then head to Canary Wharf to see me at mile 19. Sticking to the Jubilee Line! They will probably then just head to the finish as I imagine trying to find a space anywhere between Tower Hill and the finish would be a nightmare!

• carp W, you could try the following, early brekkie at f and b, then underground from Canada Water to Bermondsey,left out of station half mile to Tower Bridge,does get very busy but around 11.00 should be reasonable, from there,down steps to Thames path (staying on South side)walk to London Bridge,Cross over and turn left onto Upper Thames street,(north side of carriageway) and up to the tunnel, (not too busy) after you pass then up Farringdon road- Fleet street-Strand to Trafalgar Square at bottom of the Mall where you finish. If you check on map it sounds worse than it is,as Wardi says you will get to finish in half the time it takes them from 21 mile,good luck
  • dave wood4 thank you for the advise i will have a chat and see what they think.
    cheers
  • carpvw said:
    > @dave wood 4 said:
    > peter2manchester, call Marathon Towers first thing Monday,they actually had my daughter in laws wrong email address,it happens,sorted  as she spoke with them, don’t forget that you need time to print off the 40pages of the “final instruction “ pdf

do we need to print the final instructions off??? i thought it was just the registration letter.

ahh bugger i had heard that surrey quays was quieter hmmm they should have plenty of time from finishing breakfast to getting to the 14/21 mile mark is this area a busy section?

The 14 mile bit - opposite the Limehouse tunnel is quiet if you get there early, won't be a problem.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Any updates on the length of the gaps between the wave starts?  If it’s only a minute or so, it should be possible to make up that time if we find ourselves in the next wave down from where we want to be.  In my case, I put down 4:15 but would like to fall in with the 3:59 pacers (red start).  As I could feasibly push to 3:45, it could be that a slightly faster first few miles from the 4:15 crowd to get to the 3:59 pacers banks a couple of minutes that might give me a 3:55 or something (provided I stick with the pace group).  That would be a good result, even if it does mean taking a bit of advantage of the downhill start to increase the pace to, say, 5:30/Km rather than the 5:40/Km that the 3:59 pacers will be sitting at.... might take a few K to catch them, but it’s not a recklessly faster pace than MP, especially given the downhill.

Or is this a stupid idea and am I better just running my own paced race from the 4:15 lot?
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Just my 2p-worth, but it sounds like catching the pacer might be a stress and hassle that you don't need? I think you may need to play it by ear a little, and see how things go in the first few miles. The first few miles will be the busiest, and it could be difficult to "make time" compared to those around you. You might be better off setting off with those around you and trying to make up a little ground where you can (in fact, you may well be forced to do this!). I wouldn't go crazy trying to hit a certain pace initially, you can burn up a lot of energy that way. Better to wait until the road clears out a little and you can run at your own pace. There will be opportunities to speed up later, and you may even benefit from the slower-paced start.
  • Hey all 1st time marathoner here doing London this year. My training has been interesting to say the least due to weather, injury and illness. I have managed a number of 14 and 16 mile runs (I think 6 in total) and one 18 miler. I have done loads of 11 and 12 mile runs plus short 5km quick runs and faster paced 6-8 milers. My average pace on a long run is between 8:25 and 9:00- my last 14 mile run on Sunday I was 8:32 and this was a very hilly route I felt good all the way round and could have carried on easily but had no more time. I am now confused at how quick I should pace on the marathon day? Any advice?
  • EmzBoris123 ✭ Just be cautious - be mindful that you have done only one 18 miler, many will have done 3 or 4 runs of 20 miles plus, so it's VERY unknown territory. I think it's best to be honest, especially if it's your first.

Weather is warming up too - latest forecast says sunny periods, 19 degrees. So I'd say aim for 9mm at the start, and go from there. Just be sensible.

• Lovely thanks for the advice I think you're right cos I don't want to have to stop I'm so annoyed i didn't get as far in my training as possible 
  • SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭
    The weather is freaking me out now.  Really hope it's not too hot!  I had a lousy London Marathon in 2014 and I blame it all on the weather!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    For any first-timers, be very careful if this weather forecast proves to be right. 19 deg is a lot warmer than it's been for most of our training runs, and the fact that you're running through a big city (lots of concrete and glass, tall buildings to block the wind, etc.) makes it worse. Although warmer weather is more pleasant for training runs, it just makes a marathon more difficult. The toughest marathons I've run have all been in higher temperatures - the best-trained I've ever been was for Boston last year, and I fell to bits in the high temperatures (26 deg or so). If it as hot as this - make sure you have suncream on (P20 doesn't run when you sweat). Run slower and take on small amounts of water but regularly. Try to keep in the shade where possible. I really hope it's cooler than this, 19 deg is a heatwave for a Scotsman!
  • Rodeoflip,

Really good advice not only for first timers but also those who have not run too many marathons in the heat.

As said many times before, if it is your first marathon or even the first London, then go out and enjoy the run by running within yourself - it will be a PB anyway or a course record for you.

Remind yourself to hydrate more than normal too - if you are in a fancy dress, be extra careful.

Spare a thought for us pacers who have no choice but to run at the prescribed pace.

As Fauja Singh (the world's oldest marathoner) says ' if you cannot control the matter that is worrying you, worrying about it is not going to resolve it' - the weather (hot or cold) is not something you can control.

• i am panicking about the weather went out for 10 miles at the weekend and it was only a cloudy 14 (humid) but 14 and i was ROASTING!!! complete rethink on the clothes now if it continues to get hotter
  • Some great advice on here, thanks everyone. This is my first marathon so the maranoia is now beginning to set in! I’m so scared! I’m staying in Southwark and getting the tube to London Bridge to meet my friend, I think it’s about 2 stops. But how much time should I allow on the day to go those few stops? I’ve no idea how busy it will be having never been in London on marathon day before. Eek!
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    If you're staying in Southwark, you're just as well to meet at Charing Cross and get on the train there. That's where the train starts so will be easier than trying to get on at London Bridge. You can stroll to Charing Cross in 20 mins or so depending on where exactly you're staying.
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Control the controllable. Can do absolutely nothing about the weather so focus on yourself.
    That said if it's like it was in 2014, will be a tough day, but the crowds will be even more amazing and will get us through it :)
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

That's all well and good, but the crowds aren't going to physically carry you on your back ;)

Seriously though, it's good to see that everyone on here seems to be taking it sensibly - the real problem is the sun more than the actual temperature, cloudy would be better, it's just that as soon as the sun pops out, the temperature rockets.

If it is likely to be 19 degrees (12-14 for the race?) then anyone wearing anything else than shorts and a vest is asking for trouble. Also ladies - for god's sake no black leggings or 3/4 leggings. You'll regret it, and will attract the heat.

• Just be grateful that it is not 95% humidity too.

Our pacing kit is all black
  • Check out the little gems of experiences from the pacers at the VLM, the link to all the RW pacers is

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/pacing/pace-team 

Yes I appear to be the oldest in the team
  • I dont care what the weather is like, I’ve just managed my first “run “in weeks,albeit only 3miles but so far, pain free, deferring is now not an option, it might take a bit longer than originally planned but bring it on London, give it your best shot, I’ll beat it, good luck to EVERYONE, see you at the start, but probably NOT the finish lol ? 
  • If it is likely to be 19 degrees (12-14 for the race?) then anyone wearing anything else than shorts and a vest is asking for trouble. Also ladies - for god's sake no black leggings or 3/4 leggings. You'll regret it, and will attract the heat.

Simon, that sounds great in theory, but most women don't run in traditional shorts (and some men) due to severe thigh chafing.  I actually have a pair of above the knee lycra (black) leggings and they are actually ok in heat.  I'm not sure that this late in the day, it's worth anybody changing what they've been used to training in for race day, although I agree switching to short sleeves now would help!

I've followed this thread for a while, so good to see @dave wood 4 you're good to go - best of luck!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Agree with Simon. TBH, my race kit is the same regardless of weather. I've yet to run a race where shorts and a vest isn't the best choice, even in the rain and cold. If the temperatures are above about 5 degrees then you don't need long sleeves. I guarantee that no-one will have any problems keeping warm once running. A vest is the best option for getting rid of heat. My only kit concession on hot days is the P20, liberally applied!
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    I see that the official details on the wave starts has been sent out.  The only thing I can't find is how the actual zones are split (by time)?  I seem to recall someone (Harmander?) saying something about how they were split but can't see it.  As the gaps (for the red start) between waves are set at previous wave rear runners + 4 minutes, I am hoping that I can get to the front of my wave and make up 4 minutes over 10K to rendezvous with the pacer, but a lot will depend on how the zones are split.  

Specifically in my case, I think I put 4:15 as a time, but have subsequently run my last marathon in 3:58 so would like to at least sit with the 3:59 pace group.  But I don't know how many zones will be between the two times...
  • > @jtced said:
    > I see that the official details on the wave starts has been sent out.  The only thing I can't find is how the actual zones are split (by time)?  I seem to recall someone (Harmander?) saying something about how they were split but can't see it.  As the gaps (for the red start) between waves are set at previous wave rear runners + 4 minutes, I am hoping that I can get to the front of my wave and make up 4 minutes over 10K to rendezvous with the pacer, but a lot will depend on how the zones are split.  
    >
    >
    > Specifically in my case, I think I put 4:15 as a time, but have subsequently run my last marathon in 3:58 so would like to at least sit with the 3:59 pace group.  But I don't know how many zones will be between the two times...

im almost certain they have the pens that the pacers will be in on the runners world link that was posted the other day and then i guess you just look at 4:15 and 4:00 pacers and see if they fall in the same pen or one pen apart
  • looking at it sub 4 is pen 5 and sub 4:15 is pen 6 and i think pens 5/6 are being released in the same wave therefore i guess if you get to the front of pen 6 you could make up the time over long distance but then surely that will get you well below sub 4 going by the time you cross the line and if you catch up with the 4 hour pacer