Options

VLM 2018!!

Comments

• Options
    I will be at the New Balance Run Hub from 3:00 pm till 8:00 pm.

It is on your right as you enter the hall after picking up and activating your running chip.

Free little goody bag for runners and spectators if you enter your name and email address on the iPad.

And a copy of Runners World magazine too - the downside is my picture appears in it a few times.
  • Options
    At least its free HS..Presume it must be over £5 by now. Have a flick at WH Smith now and again..
  • Options
    Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    Do the Lucozade sport drinks contain ANY electrolytes? I think standard ones only contain sugar. They may have a different formulation at the marathon, but it seems unlikely.
  • Options
    The Lucozade sports drink does have electrolytes and carbs. Not keen on the taste myself though, especially when its warm! So I will be sticking to water with 1/2 High 5 tablet thrown in.
  • Options
    Apologies if this point has been raised before. Could anyone that has run this marathon before advise what time to get to Charing Cross for to get the train to Blackheath? On the race instructions they start running at 06:55. Originally I was planning on catching the 08:00 train but I've been warned this could be too busy.?
  • Options
    I get there just before 8 .works for me .
  • Options
  • Options
    snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Signing off now - best of luck on Sunday! See you all on the route, let's smash it and enjoy it!
  • Options
    Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    I wonder if the percentage of deferrals is higher this year with the"panic mongering"in the press
    and on the television?

• Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    ^ Taper madness has hit hard
  • Options
    jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    :smile:

If you see me - race number 50087, running for NDCS - say hello!!!
  • Options
    jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Dammit, I had a bit reply written and it vanished.  What I’d meant to say is that, yeah, sure it’s gonna be hot, but it’s also beautiful weather and everyone is in the same boat, so let’s just watch out for one another.  There’s a great marathon vibe all around (I came down on Thursday night) and I’m excited.  

Also discovered to my relief that I will be starting in my preferred pen after all - 5, which I understand is 3:45-3:59 - doing away with my previous plan to have to weave my way from the 4:15 pen to hang with the 3:59 pacers.  So, that’s cheered me up.  Still planning on running with my Camelbak and 2L of fairly strongly mixed Tailwind; I’ll top up with water on the way around as required.  Very dry feet for some reason, will need to lube up (!!) but my niggly injury from a couple of weeks ago seems to have gone as best as I can tell.  

So, today is a lazy morning followed by a lazy afternoon and a pasta party for my charity.  I’ve decided to resist the allure of the Finsbury Park parkrun, as I’m taking no unnecessary risks, and I’m still freshly massaged from Wednesday, so feeling about as limber as I get (which, for someone with the normal flexibility of an anvil, is a good thing).

Have a fantastic race, everyone, and remember to smile :smile:
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    Best of luck all I’ll be there supporting- big Welsh flag on the left at the end of Narrow St just before mile 15- give me a wave and grab a jelly baby!!
  • Options
    This time tomorrow! Wishing everyone the very best and a great time out there. We've got this :smile:
  • Options

Anyone know how many “waves” there are, I’m 7, is that the last out?

• Options
    Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what the predicted time for pen 2 is? I put down 3 hrs 30 predicted and I've been placed into that pen which I think seems a little too high.

Given the weather I'm starting to think that maybe I should aim for a slightly slower time....

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    I think it's 3:15-3:30 though I could be wrong. I know the 3:15 pacer usually is around the front of 2.
  • Options
    Hi all, due to late withdrawal I’m selling my hotel room at Hotel Ibis in Shoreditch. It’s booked for 2 people for 2 nights. I’m willing to accept £150 for it. Please let me know if you or anyone you know is interested.
  • Options
    jgray1231
    Pen 2 = 3:15
    The pacer will be at the back
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    Dave Wood- there are 8 pens. Each wave consists of 2 pens
  • Options
    Dave woods

There are 9 waves
  • Options
    Thanks folks, being fair to other rubbers I'll drop back to wave 9, after injury I'm just glad to be there and don't want to get in fitter people's way, will try and find you before start Harmander to say thanks for advice and support you've given to everyone on this site, shame I'll not be able to run with you this time, hopefully next year,who knikn, good luck to you all?
  • Options
    It's been a pleasure - as always
  • Options
    Yes good luck to all - just go out there and enjoy yourself

Oh, and let's hear from you on how it went next week
  • Options
    Good luck to all runners tomorrow, stayed hydrated and let's see that training pay off. Most of all enjoy it.
  • Options
    Come on people, how was it for you?

Anyone who had to withdraw, please remember to re-register around June time, if you miss it you cannot reclaim your place.

Can I request that one of you starts the VLM 2019 thread as soon as you have re-registered please - it does not look as inviting if I did it.

start / continue training NOW
  • Options
    How was it for the pacers HS ? Not an easy day out for them !

I knew I wasn't race fit so I took it much easier than normal and still managed to slow down further !

Hats off to all finishers - especially the ones taking 7 or 8 hours - that's a long time in that heat.

• Options
    Cougie,

Was tougher for pacers as we had to ignore the regular 'advice' to rethink our goals - we had no choice.

Running in pairs was harder as no two pacers are identical in strategy/fitness/preparedness.  A few of the 43 went over their targets by up to 25 seconds despite us normally being able to run about a minute a mile faster for the distance historically.
    I believe one had to drop out (but the other pacer saw those following all the way on time.
    One was 52 minutes slow after twisting his foot on the discarded bottles.
    I had to run a negative split to catch up with my co-pacer

It was all worth it as got some thanks and hugs from those I helped get to the finish line. I really hope I get selected to pace again next year.
  • Options
    Blimey - that's better than I thought - you couldn't have blamed pacers for missing entirely in that heat.
    Well played everyone.