VLM 2018!!

Comments

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    I'm also in the ballot - the overseas one as I live in Switzerland.  If I lived in the UK I would have a GFA but never mind.  I'm from England originally, coming on here helps to deal with occasional bouts of homesickness whilst reading about one of my favorite pasttimes - running...

Good luck to all in the ballot.
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure I cant afford another trip to UK next year - but I lacked the appropriate self-control to prevent myself from entering the ballot.  :D

We'll see!  I'd love to do that again - it was EPIC this year!
  • FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    Welp, I've entered the ballot again. I'm not too bothered if I don't get in as I think I'm very lucky to have gotten in once on the ballot already. 
  • Have decided to enter the ballot too - just in case RW decide my perfect pacing was not good enough to merit another invite - Also got a charity place lined up (just in case).
  • I've entered the ballot, I'll prob wait and see if I get a place and if not consider entering Paris
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Jonzygon said:
    I've entered the ballot, I'll prob wait and see if I get a place and if not consider entering Paris
    ..or Edinburgh?
  • GREAT NEWS - FOR ME

JUST HAD CONFIRMATION OF MY 5 HOUR (WELL 4:58 ACTUALLY) PACER PLACE FOR VLM 2018. I HAD BETTER START TRAINING STRAIGHT AWAY - BUT TODAY WAS ALSO TWO OTHER LANDMARKS FOR ME SEE BELOW.

'Er Indoors reminded me that it was our anniversary this morning - I told her I was going to run away - she laughed and said that she noticed that I have been trying to do that for years but always come back - so I did 8.87 miles (in 1:27:07). This means I have passed the 1000 mile mark since 1st January for which the statistics read:

YTD = 1001.34 miles in 181 hours 14 minutes 19 seconds
    Average pace = 10 minutes 51 seconds/mile
    1000 miles in 180 hours 59 minutes 17 seconds
    in a total of 95 runs (73 training and 22 races including Parkruns) over 125 days
    Average run was 10.54 miles or 8.01 miles/day

I am not showing off but just alerting all first timers to start your training now - even if it is a few miles at a time.

I suggest if first timers try to make their long runs equal the month, you will be finding doing ten miles by October regularly as a brilliant base to build on when your entry is confirmed.

Feel free to ask any questions about the VLM and I will try to answer or signpost you .

For those who do not know me, I am Fauja Singh's coach and VLM 2018 will be my 34th consecutive London Marathon - I the club President of Sikhs In The City running club and also a member of the 100 Marathon Club

Good luck everyone. 
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Impressive numbers Harmander. And congratulations on your anniversary and pacer place for 2018. 
  • Thank you HazelnutCH,
    Am now going to do less but faster mileage until mid October
  • Harmander, I saw you during the marathon this year. It gave me the boost to go a little bit faster as I wanted to do it under 5h. :-D and it worked as I did 4h51.
    I am a bit flat after my very first marathon... I did put my name in the ballot again. But now... what to do... ?
    faster mileage... I suppose, but in the same time I do not want to completely loose the ability for long runs...
    I enjoyed doing a half every week end during the training. Any advice?
    At the moment anyway, I am taking an excuse... for not going out and run.... that is not good.
    Am I the only one? :)
  • Rira2,
    Am pleased I helped without even realising it.
    Well done on your time.
    As you are no longer a first timer then my earlier suggestion does not apply but I would do a combination of the following:
    Start pacing at Parkruns and knock of 15 seconds every fortnight - this will help you build base speed that you take to the odd 10km and even a half marathon once a month where you try to improve your PBs.
    Enter other marathons every 3-4 months too.
    When you get the result of the ballot you will have a good base to aspire to new targets in the following six months.
    Also consider combining strength with running by doing hills as part of your LSRs.
    Just for the record, I have run over 200km since the VLM
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    You are a machine Harmander! 200 since VLM?

I've just about covered 22km since VLM and am struggling to find my mental mojo. I know this is perfectly normal and has happened after every one of my 5 marathons. This time however, the combination of jetlag, post-target blues AND it having been London (which was always my #1 passionate goal) has hit me hard. You're right that the way to get back is to focus on some other smaller goals before thinking about another marathon.

My plan to get back my motivation is to target a new Half Marathon PB in 7 weeks time at the Gold Coast. I'll have about 50 team mates around on race day and conditions for the half are likely to be perfect (its a pancake flat course and it starts early enough to be cool for the whole race). I'm thinking its time to take down a sub 95 minute target! After I've finished the half I'll get to cheer a bunch of friends coming in doing the full marathon so it should be a good day.
  • DadAgain,
    Thanks, am helping clubmates who missed out on VLM and another who is scheduled to do a 12 hour, 24 hour and a 100 miler in the coming months. Did 22km this morning with her
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/news-media/latest-news/item/world-record-number-apply-for-2018-virgin-money-london-marathon/

A record total number of 386,050 applicants from the UK and overseas registered for a ballot place in the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon when the application system closed on Friday 5 May. This is the highest number of applicants for any marathon in the world.

327,516 of those applicants were from the UK. This is 73,586 up from the previous UK applicant record of 253,930 for the 2017 event - an increase of nearly 29 per cent. A total of 58,534 people applied in the overseas ballot.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

what makes me laugh is that they publish this like it's something to celebrate!

I do agree with it being a ballot - and I'm even happy with the wait until October for the results to be released - but I do think leaving it open for 5 days is unnecessary. It used to be open until 120,000 had entered - the odds have worsened by over a 100% in just a couple of years.

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I think it's good that it's open for 5 days; I think it should be 7. I found it odd when it was only open for a few hours (until a certain number had entered). The first year that I tried to apply I didn't realise this (I had mistakenly thought a ballot meant anyone who wanted to could enter) and missed out because of it.

One of my (non-running) friends can't get his head around there being a ballot. I've had the same conversation with him about 3 times re London, he can't understand what's stopping someone from just joining in and running on the day if they want to.
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    More people who apply via the ballot, the more people they can bombard with e-mails about running for charity. Raising money for charity is one of their main aims, so it makes sense.
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    NickW2 said:
    One of my (non-running) friends can't get his head around there being a ballot. I've had the same conversation with him about 3 times re London, he can't understand what's stopping someone from just joining in and running on the day if they want to.
    Same thing that stops anyone turning up and buying a ticket for the FA Cup Final on the day. Capacity.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

I think their aims are about making London 'bigger and better' with no real concern for the runner experience?

The charity credentials are already great. It's all about getting the number of runners up now. There are record numbers of ballot applications - no doubt the number of charity bond places is up too and even more runners will be accepted this year so that the number of finishers finally ticks over the 40,000 mark.

I do think an upper limit on the number of ballot entries makes sense - otherwise the odds are so bad that it makes very little sense having a ballot at all.

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    It can't get too big. I had quite a lot of space at the back, but I do remember thinking as I turned right after Tower Bridge and saw all the 4-hour-ish guys running the other way how many of them there were and how little space they had - it was just a swarm of people running. Not sure I'd enjoy that.  
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

There may be lots of room at the front and the back of the pack but as you say - the middle is very congested. For a race without a staggered start, it's already too big in my opinion - numbers have been creeping up for years and the course has reached bursting point.

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I thought it looked busier towards the back than I recall it being last year. Might just be my bad memory though.
  • Of the 386,050 (wow).. almost 150,000 are female applicants. That's really encouraging to see and would have been unthinkable not so long ago. They're almost at the 50/50 point with the men. The slight downside for the ladies is the theory has been they've traditionally enjoyed slightly better ballot odds as the organisers wanted to try level the field out. But it's still a very welcome development.
  • While I run the London for its prestige (and it is the best marathon in the world), I have always run it to enjoy it whatever time I do it in. 
    In the early years I used to do it in fancy dress including one in full cricket gear carrying a bat and wearing pads - it was the longest single I guess so time did not really matter
    As a pacer I have found it enjoyable as I am helping others break their chosen threshold but have found it a little more challenging to stick to the pace because of the constant weaving in and out past those who begin to struggle - particularly when for some reason they choose to run (walk actually) alongside each other - it is good that they are still determined to keep moving but for me, while pacing every second really counts - just look at my splits (bib number 14503) and you will see I was 22 seconds slower over the second 20 km compared with the first - so I agree the latter stages may well be more congested than when the numbers participating was smaller.
    Having said that, the Great North Run is 55,000 runners and only half the distance so the latter stages can really be congested - I was 18 seconds slower than planned last year because of that.
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    ... the Great North Run is 55,000 runners and only half the distance so the latter stages can really be congested.
    I keep meaning to sign up for City-2-Surf in Sydney. Its only 14km - but with 80-90,000 runners I can only imagine how crazy congested it gets!

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Harminder - even without the crowds, that is awesome pacing.  You must have an inbuilt metronome (or a good GPS watch).
  • Thanks Nessie,
    Basically I am running within myself and this is due to my weekly roadmiles. It is easier to be able to slow down to a pace than speed up to it.
    The best GPS watch in the world is not going to do the running for anyone
  • Sorry for being pedantic but I spell my name as Harmander (named after the Golden Temple in Amritsar that was attacked by the Indian Army in 1984) not Harminder which has no meaning.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Sorry Harmander - my fault for having the window small on my work computer!
  • dave wood 4dave wood 4 ✭✭✭
    Why is it that the press office at Marathon Towers are very quick to announce that 386,050 people have applied through the "lottery " but will not reveal how many places are actually allocated?