Using a running track for training

Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
Hello, 

Curious question more than anything, do any of you use a running track as a part of your training?

If so what are the benefits to your training?

I was thinking it's more or likely good for speed training.

A lot of tracks have flood lights, so that can enable you to train later and not have to share your training space with traffic (especially during the evenings)

I can't really think of anything else, like I say just a curious question really. And maybe something I'd like to add to my training schedule one day.

Kind Regards,
Nige

Comments

• Hi Nige

I do 5k and 10k running. Twice a week I use a running track for high intensity training. How I do it is blast a 400m and rest for a minute (or as long as you need), blast another, rest for a minute (or as long as you need).............continue this until you reach 5k (12 and a half laps). After a few weeks you will notice your recovery times get dramatically lower and you should develop better 5k speed endurance. It depends how fit you are but I have noticed a huge difference in my 5k times in particular. I wont lie though, it is a form of physical torture!!!

I should point out I didn't just pluck this training regime out of thin air..........a physical training instructor in the military advised me.

Worth a go!
  • Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Hello jrs,

thank you for your reply it's much appreciated, I like the sound of that training plan. 
    I think I shall add into my training schedule.
    I'm not sure how often I would take this training on, maybe once every other week. 

Thanks again for the reply 

kind regards,
    Nige 
  • Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

on the 400 reps session advised above. our coaches (sale harriers) make us stick to the recovery period. the intervals themselves are run at a 90% estimate of our maximum potentials.

so the session starts comfortable and then harder as it progresses. it becomes a lot more difficult to recover between each interval.

hope this helps. 

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I do a weekly track session, and recovery should be constant as Pete says.  
    Tends to be shorter distance reps , so 5x200s (3 sets) , or 10x 300s. A killer is 2x800s (2min rest), 3x400s (90s rest) & 4x200s (60s rest)
    Hugely tiring but it does make you faster.
    Towards a 10k the schedule tends to bring in 4-5 1k/1200s with 3mins recovery at race pace.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Dustin, I wonder if you could answer a question for me on this topic.

I've only just started doing interval sessions, currently just on a flat stretch rather than a track as it's more convenient, though I hope to get down to my local track some time.

A lot of suggested schedules have sessions like the one you mentioned, eg 2x800(120s), 3x400(90), 4x200 (60). In this scenario, after the end of a set how long a rest do you take? eg after the 2nd 800 do you take another 2 mins before doing the first 400, or do you take 90s because it's a 400, or do you do something else entirely?
  • Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice, it's greatly appreciated 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Sorry NickW2,
    In the suggested set, I'd take ~3 minutes rest between each 'block' enough to get the heart rate down but not so long that you start to cool off. If the recovery is too short, you can't push the hard stuff as much.
    There are those far more qualified than me to make further comment. 

• Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    It all sounds good to me, can't  wait to get on with it, well as soon as my injured knee shall allow me too! 
  • One of the real benefits of training on the track is that it will teach you pace judgement. You obviously have the opportunity to take lap/half lap splits along the way and you will quickly start to understand what varying lap paces feel like. An experienced track athlete told to run eg a 6 min mile out on the road, without any distance markers can typically do that within a few seconds of accuracy, because they know what the pace should feel like.
  • Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Interesting reply Speed_King, thank you 
  • i think running in the 'real world' would be more beneficial
  • also like to run uphill for training. thanks,
  • If you use the free Runkeeper app on your iphone, there's a free "challenge" on it that has a few different 5k training sessions where you can get verbal cues as you run - it's a good start before you create your own plans.