Bursitis.......I think

Hello All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have been running for 2 years now and I am running anywhere between 15 & 25km per week which is spread over 3 runs.

I recently did the North London Half and got a PB of 2:05 yay.....anyway....following this I have noticed that when I hit 4/5km I start to get a dull ache right at the top of my leg but on the side.....A quick google suggests its Bursitis which is mainly caused by overuse.....

I generally ease off the pace a bit when i feel it and it very quickly goes.....almost immediately when I stop too it disappears...

Anyone experienced anything similar or have any tips on how to fix it?

Comments

• It's unlikely to be bursitis if it ease when you slow your pace and disappears soon after you've run. As you probably know bursitis is inflammation of the bursa so once it gets inflamed and you then irritate it by running on it you'd normally expect to make it more painful. Ice and rest are about all you can do for this. If it were me I'd see a physio who is into running. If it's a problem at such low mileage it's only likely to get worse if you want to increase your mileage again to run more half marathons.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I had this - went to a physio and the problem was actually in my feet. They roll inwards and that was causing positioning problems all the way up my leg, in that the illobital band was stretched too tightly over my hip trochanter (under which the bursa sits), causing pain when they rubbed together i.e. when I took a step.

Not sure of your gender but it is more common in women due to tending to have wider hips over which the illobital band is stretched.

I got fitted for proper shoes supporting a high arch, and did some work over a few months to consciously use more of my foot when taking steps and not roll automatically inwards. Now I'm running three times a week and haven't felt a twinge in some time.
  • Sorry just realised your username is Mark so likely a man - haha *learns to pay more attention*
  • Thanks for the comments. I do think that my shoes are potentially due for renewal anyway so will take myself to get a proper fitting
  • I'm glad I've seen this. I've had a similar thing for my last 2 runs kicking around 3 km. I'm fairly new to running and I'd got my distance up to 8 k the run prior to when the pain started. 1 sided and I'm female.

I got new running shoes a few weeks ago which were properly fitted in a running shop. I'm quite flat footed but apparently these were good for my running style. Typically before this I was using general trainers which had a thin sole, not runners, they were so comfy but I knew not ideal and I had no problems!

I'm having a week off at the moment, mainly cos of a busy week but I thought it might be a good time to rest anyhow. Again the pain stops shortly after I stop running. Its hard time know how to start again, run slowly till it hurts?
  • This has carried on and I've seen an osteopath who has done all sorts and I have to do stretches of tfl, psoas and piriformis. I think the piriformis one of aggravating it more tho, but I'll keep plodding on till I see him again in a few days. He said no running until the 29th when I have my 10k but I'm a bit nervous that it will have been 2.5 weeks and that I'll find it harder. I've not done a 10k yet, I have done 2 8ks and got a day of pain after in my groin.

I also got a twingey calf on the same side last weekend which he did a load of work on, including sticking an acupuncture needle in which really hurt, the ones for my tfl were fine. It wasn't even the muscle that had been hurting but apparently that was really tight. He seemed to know what was going on though so I guess I have to trust what he says. I've also got to ice both bits twice a day and do a load of stretches and some foam rolling. I feel a bit daft as it was mainly just niggles but I wanted to get it looked at to stop it getting worse.

The thing is he also said running may not be the best thing for me, from what I can gather cos I'm over weight. He said runners need low bmi's and it will take its toll on my body. Anyone else been told this?