Has anyone cured themselves of the problem of knees brushing together when running?

Has anyone cured themselves of the problem of knees brushing together when running?

I believe the cure is strengthening gluteus medius (and perhaps iliotibial band?) Will it fix itself by running training or does it need additional weight lifting / bodyweight exercises?

How long until a satisfactory transformation occurred? 

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You'll need to do your exercises. The best exercises are banded monster walks (you need a resistance band for this around your thighs. Assume a semi-squat position and step sideways. Google it for some videos if you need a visual.
    The other is clams/clamshells.
    Squats are also good if you use a band around your thighs (similar to monster walks) and focus on driving your knees out so the band stays put.
  • I'm not a knowledgeable man, and I'm newish to running and you've probably explored this already...

I have had this recently and found that it seems dependant on footwear. I have a number of trainers I run in and the NON-stability ones seem to cause this irritating 'brushing'. New Balance 860 or Adidas Supernova Sequence ST (really??? is that necessary?) don't allow brushing.

I'm assuming that (for me at least) pronation is at the root.

What I'm talking about is literally a very slight (but distracting) brush, not any kind of actually banging together of knees!
  • Yes  ChampionRabbit I noticed it in the gym on the running machine wearing trainers I don't usually wear outside. I changed to my barefoot shoes that I do wear outside on short  runs and it doesn't seem to happen.

I think there will be an element of muscle imbalance too  though Cal so in between the running machine I do some weighted squats and lunges which feel like the right thing to do for building up stability for longer runs.

• I used to have this after getting an injury and starting to run again.
    After doing strengthening exercises the problem went away.