Fatigued Muscles/ Doms any reommendations

Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
Does anyone have any recommendations for tablets (preferably) or oils that you use/take to help reduce Doms/ soreness after running?  It usually happens after all races 5k-marathon (not so much ultras) where I push alot more.

Have been recommended Doms Ease Oils via twitter.. does anyone have any experience of them here
Tagged:

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    The best way to avoid DOMS is to have a good cool down routine afterwards, to drain the lactic acid from your muscles.  This is especially true of fast runs (5-10k).  Gentle jogging, brisk walking followed by slower running then stretching.

For longer races (half/marathon) part of the DOMS will be damage and inflammation to the muscles caused by using parts of them you don't normally use, faster and for longer.  Ice baths can reduce inflammation, but massage can actually increase it.  It's also your body's way of politely suggesting that you need to take it easy to let it recover, but a very gentle jog will help circulate blood to the muscles and promote recovery. 

Oils won't do a great deal, as they won't be absorbed deeply enough to make any difference (even if they are actually effective) - but the gentle massage will increase blood flow a bit, which might ease the stiffness, and if it feels nice, why not?

Never heard of any tablets to reduce DOMS.  If you eat well and don't try to push through recovery, your body has all the tools to sort itself out.  Wear your DOMS as a badge of honour for having run to the best of your ability!
  • Yeah good answer Nessie.

Any Anti Dom Tablets must be Snake Oil capsules ? 
  • Thanks Nessie, It does only seem to happen after marathons and I usually stop and lay down for a bit after them.

I don't mind a couple of days with Doms, saying that after Mondays marathon this is the best I've ever been.  Just exploring options for Atlantic Coast Challenge in October 3 maras in 3 days.

• you'll need to both slow down for each race, and also, most importantly, practice running on tired/sore legs... its the only way to handle it...
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • going to be doubling up my long runs, and a couple of weekends triple.... slowing down won't be a problem on the coastal path!