How do you set up your Garmin pace fields for running?

PatrickBPatrickB ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Gear
I used to have a Forerunner 230 and instantly just used the basic settings for pace. I have no idea whether this was avg pace, current pace or whatever else, I just used it as it was for my running for a long time. Now I have just got a Fenix 5 and I'm setting up the data views for my runs. On the pace field I can choose from current pace, average pace, lap pace etc; I just don't know what one to use? 

I want to choose the best field which will help me track pace most effectively. For instance, If I've just started a new mile and going at 10.34 pace, I might want to quicken things up a little bit, and when I start to run faster I want to immediately see this reflected on the watch for that current mile. I currently have two fields on my run settings, Average pace and current pace. 

What do you use? Any recommendations/help?

Comments

• MikeSmithMikeSmith ✭✭✭
    https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/fenix5/EN-US/GUID-5176B6E4-F272-4437-BDA7-85B31231CB3E.html

Either set it to current pace for your current pace, or set the watch to auto-lap every mile and then set it to lap pace.  Lap pace won't show an immediate change as you'll have to have changed the average pace of the mile, so if you are half way through and up pace by a little bit, the effect may not become apparent until the end.  That said, even current pace will take 5 secs minimum.

• On my 910XT I use 4 fields: Pace, time (spent running), distance, avg speed. I also use the 1 km auto-lap function.
    When I do intervals I use: time (current lap), pace, avg pace for thecurrent lap, and distance for the current lap.
  • PatrickBPatrickB ✭✭✭
    I used lap pace today timed to each mile. Seemed to be what I was looking for. 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    The Fenix 5 is an amazing watch which can be set up in any number of ways - why not set up multiple screen views (you can scroll between them while running) and see which one you end up using most often? I have a Fenix 3HR, and I have a few screens set up, and I'll use a different one for a training run than I would in a race, for example. Have a play with the watch and see what works best for you. Don't forget that there are also various other screens available via Connect IQ, some of which can show you all sorts of things at the same time, for example some can show up to 10 data fields (if you don't mind squinting at the screen a little).