Chest pain

I'm getting quite an acute pain near my heart (I think) when I'm pushing my pace on 5k's. I'm a fit guy, been running for years and normal training/morning runs are fine, it's just when I'm lifting my pace, or more accurately, trying to maintain my pace over the course of a 5k Parkrun I feel a tightness and pain around the left side of my chest which is impossible to ignore and causes me to have to ease off.

I play football for an hour once a week and cycle daily (and experience no pain in either), I've run marathons and am probably underweight for my hight. If I didn't try to bust a gut in my parkrun then this pain would never surface, I'm just wondering why it happens as it's very frustrating as it's holding me back somewhat.

Am I just not fit enough for the kind of times I'm aspiring for and this is my body to tell me to be realistic?! I have a 18:19 5k pb and am running about 19:30 now. I got this latest time after having to ease up for a good portion of the parkrun (just to give you an idea of my level of fitness).

thanks for any help

Comments