Speed up slow coach

Give it a go AlexGive it a go Alex ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General running
So getting back into running and falling into a bit of a pattern of 3-4 runs per week. I am not too worried at the moment by my super slow running because I am just getting into the swing of things. started a few weeks back with a 2mile run and felt like a I was going to die then on Monday went on a comfortable 5mile run and think it was one of the first time I have enjoyed a run and not just wished for it to end. I am starting to get a little bit of achillies tendon pain so think I might need to ease back a little but anyway......

I was wondering what is the best way to improve pace?

I have heard things like mixing shorter faster runs with long slow runs can help but that is where my knowledge ends.

As I say I am not worried too much at the moment as only been running properly for around a month but would like to improve on my timings. My fastest run was a 1 mile run at 10:01/mile my LSR of 5 miles on Monday was at 12:09/mile

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    I found doing tempo and progression runs helped so much with my overall pace. Start realistically and mix it up every few runs. I found that once I knew I could run faster I started to run faster long runs.
  • Definitely some tempo runs and some speedwork. The one thing I have found to really help though, is joining a club and moving up into a pace group that I wasn't immediately comfortable with. I started off relatively comfortably but quickly moved up a group, then as soon as I felt comfortable there, I moved up again. On this occasion, I was really unsure if I was doing the right thing but I've been able to stick it and now feel like I'm a part of the group. I'm not so comfortable I'm thinking of moving up again (because the next group is the really fast boys and girls) but I know that I can stay with the group and can even get a bit competitive with some of the quicker members on occasion. I'm a lazy arse and so, even though I have done a bit of speedwork here and there, left to my own devices, I too easily fall back into making all my runs a bit too easy.
  • Thanks Guys, think I will do some tempo work and see how I get on. I have never done a progression run before so that could be good to do. How many days per week should I be running currently doing 3-4 per week
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I would forget the tempo run for the moment.

A general common sense approach is to increase volume or quality and not both. Given you are just getting back into it and you say you are feeling pretty tired after the runs you are already doing, I suspect you are already doing your runs in the tempo zone.

I would keep all your runs easy as you slowly build up the mileage to a point where you are happy with the mileage you are doing. We are talking conversational easy.

Then I would introduce some quality, so that could be some short tempo intervals, strides, fartlek or whatever you fancy. Even a parkrun is mostly aerobic fitness so you're not going to gain much fitness by straining yourself over and above the fitness gains you will reap from easy runs.

Progression runs I find are great for working on your pacing and also when you want to do a tempo but you're not really up for it. If I do one it's always about making that increase smooth and making sure you have room to grow throughout the run.

Also if you're getting achilles pain speed work isn't going to help. Build a foundation of aerobic fitness first add speed later. Be patient as consistency is the key and if you try and rush it there's a danger you'll get injured.
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    What Reg said. Build yourself a base first. Let your body - joints, ligaments etc - start adapting slowly & then put the bells & whistles on (lactate, VO2 etc etc) later when you can breeze through the easy runs.