Your Pipedream Run

As a 20 a day smoker who worked 60 hour weeks, had a slight drinking problem and poor home life my initial pipedream was to be able to run at all.

This quickly turned into dreaming about the 5K, the 10K, I skipped the half marathon, did the full marathon and now I dream of the 50 mile ultra.

Having said that my thoughts have not stopped there. I would love to do the double in the ultra I am currently training for but what I really had set in my mind was to run the 190 mile coast to coast walk in the UK.
I was a little disappointed to receive an email inviting me to such an event as I thought I had conjured this up myself, the great personal challenge to top them all!

What I wondered was if anybody else had that pipedream run in the back of their mind? And what it is.
I would be especially interested to hear what people aspire to in other countries!

Comments

• Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭
    Always fancied doing the Comrades Marathon in South Africa but I'm no ultra runner at the moment.
  • David J 27David J 27 ✭✭✭
    There's a good book re running the c2c by Matt Beardshall - Life on the Run (I think). Not seen a c2c run - apart from rat race which is scotland - and thats one of those adventure things ie not proper running ;-)
    I always take the "proper" C2C as St Bees/Whitehaven to Sunderland/Newcastle coast.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily running, more run/walk/camp, but I'd love to do all the "ways" in Scotland - Great Glen Way, West Highland Way, Speyside Way, Southern Upland Way etc.  I did have a map where I had marked a lot of them, but there seem to be more being added, and now I have kids it'll be a few years before I get round to it.  Unlikely I'd be able to do them all joined up unless I wait until I retire.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    After reading Feet In The Clouds by Richard Asquith, it has to be the Bob Graham Round - a non stop circuit of the Lake District's highest peaks (to be completed within 24 hours).

The only way I'll ever accomplish this feat is on a quad bike!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Like Ynnec, it has to be the Bob Graham round. It's something I'd like to do when I've stopped chasing PB's. I supported on someone's attempt last year and did 2 legs overnight which was 27 mile and over 10000ft of ascent. A great experience. 
  • > @thepopethatsme said:
    > As a 20 a day smoker who worked 60 hour weeks, had a slight drinking problem and poor home life my initial pipedream was to be able to run at all.
    >
    > This quickly turned into dreaming about the 5K, the 10K, I skipped the half marathon, did the full marathon and now I dream of the 50 mile ultra.
    >
    > Having said that my thoughts have not stopped there. I would love to do the double in the ultra I am currently training for but what I really had set in my mind was to run the 190 mile coast to coast walk in the UK.
    > I was a little disappointed to receive an email inviting me to such an event as I thought I had conjured this up myself, the great personal challenge to top them all!
    >
    > What I wondered was if anybody else had that pipedream run in the back of their mind? And what it is.
    > I would be especially interested to hear what people aspire to in other countries!
    >

much respect mate
  • I'm still only on 10k. But I know if I ever do a marathon I want to do the Loch Ness marathon.
  • My pipedream run is to achieve a Masters England vest at Cross Country! When I started running again in 2012 it was to run a sub 17 minute 5k which I achieved last month! So onwards and upwards as I move towards 40 years old!
    http://yourrunningpotential.com/