Not sure what to do???

A few weeks ago did a 10k that I wasn't ready for in warn in trainers and picked up an injury. (Stupid I know) Have been having physio treatment and acupuncture and she's signed me off from running from this weekend but only small amounts to build back up.
Basically I have not run or done any kind of activity except walking and a few crosstraininig sessions in 4 weeks!! Although I have done all the stretching and strengthening exercises she has given me.
Basically out of nowhere for 2 days now my calf muscles are rock hard and really uncomfortable. I'm not sure what to do? I need to get back out running again as I feel like I'm losing the will to live, but don't want to do them any damage, Not due to see physio for 3 weeks now.
Is it basically due to me not exercising? Will it right itself once I start running again?
Any advise would be appreciated

Comments

• I have no idea why your calf muscles feel as they do but if it were me I'd be doing lots of foam rolling, stretching and massage and seeing how they feel when I walk - do they ease as you warm up?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • How's your diet? I had something similar years ago that ended up being the result of a really crap diet and smoking/alcohol intake being very high. A change of lifestyle fixed the issue in a matter of weeks. Not to suggest you're a lager lout chain-smoker, just that these problems can sometimes have causes (and fixes) that aren't immediately obvious.
  • I was off running for nearly three months, started again and calves have been screaming at me! They are easing off now, had to do a lot of stretching and foam rolling and only run as much or fast as pain would allow. Hopefully they will ease up.
  • CaptainCaptain ✭✭✭
    I'd definitely go along with all of the above advice. In addition, stretch those hamstrings, too. Also roll your foot over a rolling pin or a ball. Be patient, it may help. Please do let us know how you get on as well.