'Coolest' (coldest) hot weather t-shirt.

Please recommend to me a t-shirt for hot weather.

I'm not sure that the world is ready for me in a vest, so it must be a t-shirt.

Ideally not a super-tight/compression one.

I am male/45.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I don't think there's a massive difference between wicking tech-ts. I've got cheap ones from Decathlon that do the job fine; more expensive ones possibly have a better finish. If you go down that route I would pick a spring-summer range (S/S) top as autumn-winter (AW) tend to be thicker. I've never spent that much so I couldn't really tell you what a £25+ t-shirt would be like; I doubt there would be a massive difference. 
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I thought that too, Tommo, until a friend lent me a Patagonia tshirt (I normally run in the tech t-shirts you get at races).  I kept having to check I was still wearing it, it was so light and soft.  Not cheap (I think the equivalent one is £35 now), but lovely to wear.  In saying that, if it's 35degC, nothing is going to keep you cool, so it depends how comfortable you are with shelling out that sort of money.
  • CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
    Sports direct have 2 nylon white t shirts for 30 quid right now. Climalite? Very thin and breathable.
  • CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
    Grrrrr can't edit on the phone, they are Adidas. White with black sleeve stripes. Subtle 
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    My best tee-shirt is an adidas one that has a super light mesh back panel. That being said I have other adidas shorts that are a little heavier - so brand alone is not really an indicator.

I tend to wear just vests though in summer and find having the extra bit of arm and shoulders exposed does make a significant difference. Any runner running in 30+C is going to look shocking, so worrying about whether you're in a vest or tee-shirt is really immaterial. You're going to be red in the face and DRIPPING with sweat. Nobody cares what your 45yr old spindly arms look like! :)

One thing to consider when running in VERY hot weather is what happens to sweat. I have one running vest in particular that seems fine in cool weather - nice technical fabric etc etc - but when the heat cranks up (and here in Brisbane it REALLY cranks up) it seems to hold on to that sweat and gets clingy. I have other vests that are a lot easier to wring out at a drink stop (I know - thats gross! just mop the sweat off your face with your shirt front then squeeze it out and watch it drip all over the ground in a nice puddle!)

FWIW - I agree with Nessie, once it gets up above 35C you really need to consider whether running needs to happen at all. I have run at 37C and 90% humidity and it was very very unpleasant! Those of you in the UK really need to consider whether you're adequately acclimatized to those kind of conditions and consider staying home instead - particularly if the humidity is high and there's no breeze.

Take care out there!
  • Thanks for the replies! I'll have a shop around and see if I can find anything reduced that matches up with a recommendation.

Maybe I'll have a think about my no-vest policy too. :D