Options

Comrades 2018

Comments

• Options
    Loch Ness marathon in the morning. Not fit enough yet for it but still got fingers crossed to edge in under 5 hours
  • Options
    Seren, go well in the Loch Ness.  I'll be seeing how close I can get to sub 5 in the Robin Hood, Nottingham in the morning.  Fingers crossed for both of us and anyone else running tomorrow.
  • Options
    Go seren go! Go Terry go! Go Berliners go! All systems are Go!
  • Options
    Good luck everyone running in marathons tomorrow!
  • Options
    That's was a hard day..only 3 runs over 7 miles in training...not enough miles in the legs..but toughed it out for 4:51 so that should be qualification sorted
  • Options
    Well done Seren!  My story is sadder. I quit at the half in about 2:23 after realising there was no way I'd get a sub 5.  It was hot, hilly and very congested for the first few k's.  Far tougher course than expected and too under-trained.  Now to look for another option!

Good to see you Becca and very well done on a sharp time for that half!
  • Options
    Seren, well done!

Terry, sympathies. It was very warm for the time of year today. Better luck next time.
  • Options
    Well done Seren.  Great to get the qualifier out of the way early on.

Was good to see you Terry. You did the right thing.  It's a tough marathon and it was a warm day.  Hopefully there will be better opportunities to come.
  • Options

Yo seren! Reeeesult!

Well done on another intelligent run Terry, no point in blowing a gasket when you can use the race to progress your training and fight another day for the sub5.

Sounds like you enjoyed the half Becca?

Hope Marty enjoyed Berlin.

I put 19 miles in yesterday at an average 11:11 pace. Was worried I was fading on mile 18 when I clocked 11:47, well over the desired mark, but there was a decent amount of climbing in it, final mile came back to 11:02, another worry, as I am sure I was panicking a bit and pushing the pace too much to counter mile 18. I should not get into such difficulties on the big day as Detroit has the major climbs, for what they are, in the first half. I should just be able to hold my mettle Comrades style and stumble over the line to the sub5 plan. 

• Options
    Top work seren. Running that well with only running over 7 miles bodes well for next year.

Terry - sorry to hear you had a bad day, but sensible head took over before you did any long term harm. Sure you will get qualified soon enough somewhere with some long runs in the tank.

As for me, Berlin this weekend. Amazing city and race, although the water stops were a bit of a bum fight only being on one side of the road sometimes. Ran my perfect race and have decided that this will be the quickest i ever go. The pacers were amazing and went through a real tough patch between 15-21 miles. Toughed it out and managed to drag myself round for a 3.14.15 so safely qualified for next year. Knew it was a good omen when they played chariots of fire as we started :)  Saw a few Comrades tops and caps which was nice.

jkissane - hope you had a great run too.

lowrez - nice long run. Detroit will be YOUR race.
  • Options
    Great going Marty - does that open up the opportunity to go to Boston, USA? Didn't click JK was out there too until you mentioned it - come in JK! Post your report!
  • Options
    Nice running Marty.  If that's a BQ I hope you get to run it one year.  Ideal Comrades prep race (plus other reasons to do it of course).  Hope you had a good run JK.

Just the Robin Hood half for me but I got the time that I wanted.  The course wasn't the easiest but I benefited from local knowledge.  Cardiff half for me this weekend but I'm going to do a long run on the Saturday as I need to fit in another before Leicester.

I didn't get into Tokyo Marathon through the ballot and it's the last one I need for the World Marathon Majors (as they presently stand).  My grand plan had been to get a semi elite place but they took 10 minutes off the time allowed and I baulked at the tour company prices.  This leaves me with a dilemma of trying to train to get back under 3:30.  I won't manage that at any of the marathons this year but could try early next year.

That course looks good lowrez but I have to ask why Detroit?  It's not the most obvious destination.

• Options
    Thanks. I believe it is a BQ but my plan was to wait till i cross into the next age category to have a better chance of getting a place!!!

Glad you had a good half at Robin Hood. I ran that a few years back and seem to remember it being harder than i thought. Shame about Tokyo, but if you want a pacer at Malaga in December..... :)
  • Options

I have been lucky with The Majors, got into them all first try a few years back except Boston which I have never qualified for. At the same time Comrades got my attention I started with upper hamstring issues which impacted my speed quite badly, my pb is 3:47, a race where I was well on my you to sub 3:30 but crashed terribly in the second half due to the on-going ham problem. I have not really addressed the issue properly with the massive desire to keep running, although, touch wood, this gentle approach to Detroit seems to be working wonders at the moment. I hold out hope of getting back on track.

I learnt only yesterday that they have come up with the "6 Star" additional medal now which you can apply for if you complete all The Majors!

After I ran London in 2008 I looked out into this empty abyss with no events in the diary and did some research concluding I would run Detroit next, a relatively flat marathon staged in two countries running over bridges and through tunnels, it sounded amazing, to me anyway, but, just as I was hitting the enter button I discovered these things called The Majors and diverted to Chicago instead, and then Tokyo...

Its time to do Detroit! I don't tend to run the same race twice, unless, of course, it's called Comrades :)

• Options
    Thanks Marty.  I've got all sorts of marathon daftness before Malaga and I really need to get a block of quality training in, plus half a stone lighter, but we will see.
  • Options
    Marty, great marathon result there - well done!
  • Options
    Marty- that's stellar running. Great stuff.

I am waiting for my blisters to go and my tie nails to grow back after my Tor des Geants.

Got into Tokyo for the first time in 8 years so I will be using that as my qualifier as I will be racing my brother (who lives in Tokyo) in one of our rare head to heads...
  • Options

SD that is awesome - what an event - how do you ever prepare for something like that - how did you do - you must tell us loads more :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf63i5T6hbk

Ooo - there is going to be a rumble in Tokyo!

• Options
    Impressive stuff to complete that race SD. There isn’t enough cowbell in the world to get me to the finish of that. And well done on getting into Tokyo again. If this is the first time you’ve got in in 8 years I don’t feel so bad. 
  • Options
    Well the chap in the second video finished nearly 13 hours ahead of me - more than a Comrades!

i took 145:40:30 and was 248th of 460 ish finishers (867 started...)

...and what do TDG do to try and tempt you back? If you get picked in the ballot a year after you finish, your running number is your finish position from the previous year - all others have numbers over 1000. The fact that this is even interesting (and tempting) proves that I'm an idiot! :) 
  • Options
    I can see why you would contemplate going back SD, it is a beautiful thing! I can't believe there is a ballot for this, here's hoping you will be wearing 248 next year :) you are an ultra-human with amazing ultra-powers. I am in awe of you finishing this so well!
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭

Comrades 2018 Qualification
    24Sep
    Berlin (M) marty74-Q3:14-PenB, jkissane-Q3:09-PenB
    24Sep
    Loch Ness (M) seren nos-Q4:51-PenH
    15Oct
    Leicester (M) Becca7
    15Oct Amsterdam (M) Mac3

02May Qualification and Race4Charity(PenCC) Closes
    10Jun
    Comrades

• Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    I've started the list of qualifications which hopefully is in the right format!  I happen to know JKs result at Berlin and I expect his report will be forthcoming.  When I did my first Comrades I found the list really useful as it provided ideas for qualification and training runs particularly for the many excellent low key races out there.  
  • Options
    Nice work Mac.  Cracking result from JK.
  • Options
    Some great running happening. I'm jealous, summer in Chicago is refusing to end (was still 32 degrees yesterday) so my training has been nigh on non existent. Running the mara here on the 8th but doubt i'll use that as my final qualifying time.

• Options

Ooo a list! Now we're cooking with gas!

24Sep
    24Sep
    08Oct Chicago (M) Matt..
    15Oct
    Leicester (M) Becca7
    15Oct Amsterdam (M) Mac3
    15Oct Detroit (M) lowrez

02May Qualification and Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    10Jun
    Comrades

• Options
    Thanks everyone. But SD that run is insane, huge kudos for completing it.

And nice to see a list. Was getting withdrawal symptoms :)

Please add in 22nd Oct - Ultra Trail De Edinburgh
    10th November - Druids Day One (Ridgeway)
    19th November - Cornish Mara
    10th December - Malaga Mara

I think i got a bit carried away with my spare time after Comrades. Seemed like a good idea at the time.....
  • Options

Hotels
    Belaire Suites: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannir, Carmen23, Southern Snail
    City Lodge: Becca7
    Hilton: lowrez

24Sep
    24Sep
    08Oct
    Chicago (M) Matt.., Dannirr
    15Oct
    Leicester (M) Becca7
    15Oct