Comrades 2018

Comments

• Hi SS, yes I'm still here. Due to my heart issue I still await further professional feedback and guidance before I'll feel safe to increase training intensity.  I have a clinic appointment at Papworth on the 21st.  I have also, up to last weekend, had 2 weeks of not running, as recommended after cataract surgery (that went well, with good vision restoration). I did alternative days of very long walks and 12 mile cycle rides during those 2 weeks to try and maintain at least some semblance of fitness. 
    So, I'm now back to 'running' again and look forward to seeing Becca at the 30k on Sunday.  I'm now  very under-trained so will treat it as a very slow run/walk test, keeping heart rate down.

Yes, I will still be running the London, at whatever pace I may be ready for! That might be my last chance for a sub-5.  I've not given up on Comrades just yet!  Who else is running London - I've lost track?  Depending on the next few weeks' progress (or not), I might be having a try at Utrecht Marathon next month - watch this space.

I see mention of other injury issues, especially Bike it's.  Don't give up - you all have the ability, if you heal and or avoid further injury - still 4 months to sort out problems!  I also see lots of seriously good training among most of you - keep it up!
  • Terry-good luck with everything. My husband is still running London. I'll obviously be up there supporting. Not sure if anyone else is running it
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I’m running London. Do we have a list yet?
  • MM2 - For BR you need to average just under 6:00 per km over the whole course - 90.2 km in 9hours. 
    The pacing I have used for BR is:
    - 'flat' 5:40-5:45 per km
    - uphill 6:00 - 6:30 per km depending on gradient
    - downhill (1st half) no faster than 5:20 per km
    - downhill (2nd half) as flat pace
    - walking 12 min per km (strategy 3 minutes every 10km, getting more frequent towards to the end)
    Get to half way no earlier than after 4:15 for you.  Second half you would have a maximum 30 minutes positive split

A 3:23 marathon is marginal for a BR, but it is achievable.  It depends on many factors

• Bike it, as you say, it depends on so many factors.  I did 8:51 in the 1980 down run after a modest 3:40 qualifier! The qualifier, (at Jo'burg altitude) was a couple of months before Comrades. It probably didn't properly represent my Comrades readiness because only a mere 10 days after  that Comrades, I ran a 1:29 half at altitude (in Benoni SA).  So, it also depends on how hard and how early you do the qualifier (I think ideally 2 or 3 months before the big day).

Also, rather differently to these day's recommendations, I didn't take any planned walk breaks at all, other than a couple of quick stops in the bushes, a few 10 second walks through later water stations (to not slop the coca cola!) and a couple of minutes getting a sore knee strapped at about 60km .

I think MM's 3:23, given good management on the day, bodes well for his BR.  :) 
  • Well Terry if you could run 1:29 half then I assume you could have run a sub 3:15 full marathon at altitude (Benoni is at 1800m if I correctly recall).  Which would be getting close to 3:05 at sea level in ideal weather.

The only occasion I ran a BR (8:48 2012 Down) I had a marathon PB of 3:20 and a kilometer less to run than 2018 runners.  I have toed the line with 3:10 (Sea Level at 12C) and 3:15 (1600m altitude at 24C) in my qualifiers and been slower on Comrades day.

As Terry says, management on the day is critical.

As is avoiding over-training which I am very good at (over-training that is rather than avoiding it).

One of the reasons I credit my good time of 2012 is that I was injured from late January to middle of February (after aggressive training in November and December).  I had to cautiously build up from mid-February and only got up to 20 mile long runs at the end of March.  I didn't do any speedwork and I did strengthening exercises. Consequently I was appropriately trained rather than overtrained.

The following years I trained more and more and got slower and slower........

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    lowrez said:

Hotels
    Belaire Suites: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannir, Carmen23, Southern Snail
    City Lodge: Becca7
    Hilton: lowrez

Comrades 2018 Qualification
    24Sep
    Berlin (M) marty74-Q3:14-PenB, jkissane-Q3:09-PenB
    24Sep
    Loch Ness (M) seren nos-Q4:51-PenH
    08Oct Chicago (M) Matt.., Dannirr
    15Oct
    Leicester (M) Becca7
    15Oct Amsterdam (M) Mac3
    15Oct Detroit (M) lowrez
    21Oct
    Betteshanger Marathon (M) Debra Bourne
    22Oct
    Betteshanger Challenge (L) Debra Bourne
    22Oct
    Ultra Trail De Edinburgh (U) marty74
    19Nov
    Cornish Marathon (M) marty74
    24Nov to 03 Dec
    Seaside Series (10 Marathons in 10 Days) (M) Debra Bourne
    10Dec
    Malaga (M) marty74
    17Feb
    Moonlight Challenge (L) Debra Bourne
    25Feb
    Tokyo (M) Slow Duck
    10Mar
    Viking 100 Endurance Run (L) Debra Bourne

02May Qualification and Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    10Jun
    Comrades

Course Tour
    Saturday: lowrez

I'm nto sure if this is the most recent version of the list but it probably needs rather a lot of updating.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

I've updated it with mine and no doubt made a mess.

Hotels
    Belaire Suites: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannir, Carmen23, Southern Snail

24Sep
     Berlin (M) marty74-Q3:14-PenB, jkissane-Q3:09-PenB 
    24Sep 
    Loch Ness (M) seren nos-Q4:51-PenH
    08Oct Chicago (M) Matt.., Dannirr
    15Oct 
    Leicester (M) Becca7
    15Oct Amsterdam (M) Mac3
    15Oct Detroit (M) lowrez
    21Oct 
    Betteshanger Marathon (M) Debra Bourne
    22Oct 
    Betteshanger Challenge (L) Debra Bourne
    22Oct 
    Ultra Trail De Edinburgh (U) marty74
    19Nov 
    Cornish Marathon (M) marty74
    24Nov to 03 Dec 
    Seaside Series (10 Marathons in 10 Days) (M) Debra Bourne
    10Dec 
    Malaga (M) marty74
    17Feb 
    Moonlight Challenge (L) Debra Bourne

25 Feb Seville Marathon becca7
    25Feb Tokyo (M) Slow Duck
    10Mar Viking 100 Endurance Run (L) Debra Bourne
    17 Mar Eco Trail de Paris 80k becca7
    31 Mar Born to Run 40 miler becca7
    22 Apr London Marathon becca7, Terry48

02May Qualification and Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    10Jun 
    Comrades

Course Tour

• Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Hotels

24Sep
     Berlin (M) marty74-Q3:14-PenB, jkissane-Q3:09-PenB 
    24Sep 
    Loch Ness (M) seren nos-Q4:51-PenH
    08Oct Chicago (M) Matt.., Dannirr

08 Oct Yorkshire (M) Southern Snail Q4:43- PenG(now PenCC)

15Oct Leicester (M) Becca7

15Oct Amsterdam (M) Mac3
    15Oct Detroit (M) lowrez
    21Oct 
    Betteshanger Marathon (M) Debra Bourne
    22Oct 
    Betteshanger Challenge (L) Debra Bourne
    22Oct 
    Ultra Trail De Edinburgh (U) marty74
    19Nov 
    Cornish Marathon (M) marty74
    24Nov to 03 Dec 
    Seaside Series (10 Marathons in 10 Days) (M) Debra Bourne
    10Dec 
    Malaga (M) marty74
    17Feb 
    Moonlight Challenge (L) Debra Bourne

25 Feb Seville Marathon becca7
    25Feb Tokyo (M) Slow Duck
    10Mar Viking 100 Endurance Run (L) Debra Bourne
    17 Mar Eco Trail de Paris 80k becca7
    31 Mar Born to Run 40 miler becca7
    22 Apr London Marathon becca7, Terry48 Mr Southern Snail

02May Qualification and Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    10Jun 
    Comrades

Course Tour
    Friday: Southern Snail

• Updated with my details - don't know how to get rid of the gaps though :/
  • Terry, great that the cataract surgery went well and I hope you get good news on 21st.

Terry and Becca, hope all goes well at the 30K on Sunday.

I might be volunteering at London - in which case I'll see people at about 25 miles: my club marshals near Embankment station and on the Hungerford Bridge (limiting people stopping to spectate on the stairs and bridge so that people can still get up and down the stairs and across the bridge).

I still have a piriformis niggle but I'm happy with my mileage - over 200 miles in January. I'm not going to be able to manage a BR anyway, so if I can get a safe bronze I will be satisfied. I'd love to go under 10 hours but if I don't, I don't.

Must get more hills in.
  • Terry/BikeIt, some great advice thanks. I think over-training can be a big problem for any distance races, like you (BikeIt) I've PB'd after enforced downtime with injuries. Those paces are very useful, I'll try them out on my mega long run (60km) and see how it feels. My 3:23 is probably a bit out, I ran a 1:31 half in March 2017 and the 3:23 was a fairly conservative effort to ensure a sub-3:40 seeding. I think I'm probably a 3:17/18 kind of guy :) . Hopefully that ups my chances a bit for a Bill Rowan. I've started leg strengthening exercises too. I just wish I was a 3:00 marathoner with loads of ultras under my belt so it was in the 95%+ probability instead of 50/50 or less!
  • I’ll be volunteering at the finish line in London again this year Terry and Becca (and anyone else) say hello if you see me and I’ll try and slip an extra apple in your goody  bag  ;)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    'fraid I've broken my account and become a complete forum novice as a result. I appear to have only plain text typing and smileys as options. Probably need some stars before I am allowed to do anything more.

I'll be at London too, running for a leukaemia charity. Have to say RR that apples after 26 is not encouraging me to locate you :-) can you up the ante at all on that please? Debra - I know those steps - that is going to be a challenging task; they always seem congested, never mind during the marathon!

I haven't qualified yet :-( (Don't tell BikeIt) I clocked 5:01:53 in Tasmania - my safety margins are no good - I am upping my pace next time from 11:00 to 10:30 per mile as my watch always seems to clock 27.1 miles by the end of any course. That "extra" mile has stabbed me in the foot twice now.

So! I am definitely going to slam it at The Grim Four by Four near Blubberhouses on 1st March! As I want London to be a party; not a desperate drama at a sub5 attempt.

Do I recognise someone smashing a sub10 at Comrades 2015 in one of the videos linked to in the latest Comrades e-mail?

You'll have to re-construct this link by putting a h t t p s : / / on the front of it, as I am so weak on this knackered account it won't let me post links

youtu.be/WahFE45nLbg?t=308

You have to be quick; she is only on screen for a couple of seconds!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Wondered where you had got to lowrez.

That vid clip is from 2014 I think. My PB year. 9:20. Showboating was better the previous year though. 

• Debra - hope you get that issue sorted asap as you are going great at the moment.

Terry - Nice to hear the cateract surgery was a success and hope you get positive news for the docs in a few weeks time. Say hi to becca from me tomorrow at the race. I ran it a good few years back and had a great time. Lovely course.

I am running at the bramley 20 tomorrow. Nice to have a long run with people as always seems easier. No doubt i shall chat about comrades with at least one person en route...

Lowrez - we shall be having none of this last gasp qualifying again please. Must try harder at the next one!!!! But was the cadbury one good? I keep kind of looking at it...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Becca, the cautionary tale is; if you decide to change your e-mail address, don't put a typo in it; the system accepts it and sends a verification e-mail to it; and won't let you edit your e-mail address until you answer the e-mail its sent. Its a perfect catch22. So, I'm on a new account here, very suttle difference in my forum name; it now begins with a number one, "1", not an "l".

Aha, yes, I can see the line the runners go over just after you disappear is in fact not the same course as the one you are showboating over!

Marty, I am so kicking myself! Perfect conditions, surprisingly for Hobart, 8C at the 6am start, a relatively flat course, its a double out and back. Got hotter as the day went on but nothing too bad. Its also a national qualifier so there were Olympians from Rio at the start! There is a bit of a drop from the start in the first half mile, nothing of Comrades proportions though, and its not on the out and back portion either, but you do come back up it at the end; I reckon if it wasn't there I'd be laughing at a sub 5 shave lowrez style! The medal is most annoying; nice enough with the outline of Tasmania on it, but it just says "Cadbury Marathon" no mention of the location. If I ever get editing rights back I will post a picture. As usual, I simply flew in, ran, flew out, I spent far more hours aloft than I did on the ground. Can't say the effort of the travel affected me though; the plus5 was all my own mismanagement.
  • Great hearing about everyone's runs and seeing the list reappear. I'm lucky that I qualified back in October at Chester.... Not done much since then as Achilles had been giving be issues since mid year and was getting worse rather than better. Eventually decided to see physio in Dec and then followed advice of not running for a while.... Started running again 2 weeks ago, I think I have ran a grand total of about 20k so far this year and my longest run is a Parkrun. But I'm feeling good, I've been loving getting out on my bike lots, this mornings Parkrun was my fastest since June, will be a different build up to previous Comrades, but see no reason why it shouldn't be feasible, now be gradually starting to build distance and reckon 12 plus weeks is plenty of time to get fit :-) 
  • 1owrez - welcome to the thread!!!!
  • Silly website wouldn't let me add to that... Anyway you'll just have to post loads to earn your stars. I think you need a new watch by the way!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    :) 3 star snails are the best!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ooo - 2 stars already and now I can add pictures!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    McH - sorry to hear about the achilles - sounds like you are on the right side of recovery though - a slow build up will definitely get you there, there is time.
  • Ouch, I see forecast wind at 40plus mph throughout the time I will be 'running' the Stamford 30km tomorrow!! Really don't need that!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Southern, this as a Fenix3 - I have wiped from my mind the daft level of investment required to own one - I think at my 11 min mile pace I simply wander all over the route and clock up 27 miles on a 26 mile course. I slowed down to this level as my hams were giving me gip; but I am now advised that's not the basis of a cure. In fact my hams are fine, they are complaining at taking all the running load due to my glutes, hip flexors and other assorted gyzmos having switched off because I sit on my posterior all day and then when I run I am being too cautious and letting the lazy bits get away with it. So I need to do some exercises to wake up the dead bits and actually run faster to counter the malaise - all this is good news for the sub5 - and my watch :-)
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I've just been 'awarded' my 10th anniversary badge by R. World. For whatever that's worth!  I don't see any extra *s.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I just got my 10 hour badge Terry! Or as I call it l0 hour badge. Good luck tomorrow, pack a sail (I said sail not sai1 or snail or snai1)!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Debra, hope the piriformis fades away - amazing thing you did - 10 in10!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Terry, Becca, Southern, what are your game plans for London? I will only be in town for a few hours; 2pm Sat until 6pm Sun in and out of Euston. My son will be with me so I don't expect to have any free time at all what with Expo pick-up, hotel, pasta, prep and sleep. Expecting to run around 5 hours. I might wear a costume if I do qualify at Blubberhouses - quite a lot of interest at work in this one and they will be surprised if I only wear "normal" gear! I can usually attract more charity money the more avant garde I get although I better check with the charity; don't want to embarrass them.
  • Terry/Becca - good luck today with the 30k. Let's hope it's a headwind,  though it never seems to be even if it's a circular route :/